Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
The Steam store page says the game takes 20GB disk space, yet upon download I'm told 26GB space is needed while the download package is only 16GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

canada jezus posted:

I'm guessing, but i have no clue tbh, 16 gig to download, 26 free space required during install, unpacked files and everything, 20 upon installation?

Turns out no. 18,3 gigs is the folder size upon completion of download. I just took that directory and dropped it on my system drive with 20GB free space, linked that directory to the original installation folder, and everything plays nicely. I don't get why Steam refused to let me install on the system drive citing an apparently fictional 26GB requirement.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Tegan and Sankara posted:

You guys talking about all the cool PhysX effects are making me jealous, I had to put the graphic settings on their lowest and then still go into the BMEngine.ini file and make some edits to get dealable framerate in the outside sections :( I knew I'd never get the best graphics on a laptop, but I could run City (and other games) without all that fuss. Has anyone else experienced massive FPS issues?
Yes. Whereas I can run AC on FXAA with DX11 and everything maxed (physX on normal) so that it runs perfectly smooth with no hiccups whatsoever, AO with the same settings gives me an FPS hit at every zoom and nearly every finishing move. Sometimes switching the crypto sequencer on slows everything down to a slideshow level.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

DarthBlingBling posted:

For me it's the exact opposite, and I think poor DX11 performance in AC was a common complaint.

Yes, I remember my first playthrough with AC being with DX9 due to poor DX11 performance especially with panning, but a fanmade patch that enabled FXAA for DX11 and possibly some post-release patching made my last playthrough about 6 months back sweet as I got awesome FPS through and through. In AO it's noticeable how everything else is smooth sailing but when the camera starts to move on its own I take a massive FPS hit.

Hakkesshu posted:

I have to say, maybe I'm just desensitized/ambivalent at this point, but I play with high PhysX and barely ever noticed its presence. I tried turning it off and on again just to see the difference, but nothing about it seems at all noteworthy to me. It ceases to be a point worth caring about after a few seconds.
Look closer. With PhysX disabled the snow on the ground is a flat simple texture that has a definite last-gen-console feel to it.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 27, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

1) Whoever decided that I need to do a "hanging ledge" takedown along with three other types of takedowns can go straight to a poorly managed hell. I've never even seen the prompt for this fucker - standing on a rail and looking down does nothing. I remember it being finicky and near impossible in City too - but they didn't build a challenge around it. The explosive gel takedowns are rare enough to trigger (apparently the weak wood panels don't work) on their own. Spectacularly awful design.
In one of AC's Riddler's Challenge maps you have to do this same takedown and it's just about as much fun since there's just a few spots where you can do it nicely in that map. The best way to a hanging ledge takedown at least in AC is to be sitting on a rail that's above a doorway, then lure a thug to walk under you with a sonic batarang or whatever, and pray to whatever spirits you hold dear that the takedown prompt comes up.

edit: 0:30 into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP13rE62v_0

edit2: I just had a stretch of pavement turn into water. Not visibly, but walking into it made Batman behave as if it was.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 28, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Bane created Titan now! Nevermind that Titan being a totally new thing was a major element of Asylum, Bane made it years ago and Batman's known about it the whole time.
Isn't that stuff some prototype of it instead of what the Joker uses? The stuff that they're extracting from Bane in Asylum in order to make Titan in the first place?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I keep finding myself agreeing with you throughout this whole thread (and I also keep thinking your avatar is Butthead whenever I glance at it).

I think you and I are the only ones who must have bought un-hosed up copies of the game or something because our opinion is definitely in the minority. I'm playing on 360 and the timing, counters, special moves and everything else feel exactly the same as they always have. I'm not having any issues whatsoever with the combat, ledge takedowns, hanging takedowns or anything at all that people are bitching about beyond a couple of game freezes. I don't find it hard to get around the city or find grapple points either and the camera seems the same too. It would come in too tight in City all the time.
I could chalk a lot of the problems I'm seeing (same that others have reported) up to my imagination and frustration but targeting gargoyles and ledges in predator challenge rooms is definitely much harder for me in AO than AC or AA. In the previous titles I never even had to think about it, just aim and zoom off, but now I frequently find myself unable to target a ledge across the room without first jumping off the one I'm on and swooping towards my destination. There are some issues in the city as well esp. at the bridge but the challenge rooms really get my goat.

...and the camera. That I can't ignore even if I'd want to because people keep hitting me from where I can't see them, which did not happen or only happened in singular occasions in either of the previous games. I only started to notice how annoying it was in new game+ where you have to watch the thug's animation for a counter, and it gets a bit difficult when his entire attack animation plays outside the camera and the fist pops in view to clock me at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Happened to me all the time in AC. I even posted about it a while back in the "PYF Dragging This Game Down" thread. I don't know. Like I said, I know I'm in the minority here with my opinion so I'm treading lightly here and not trying to cheer lead or thread poo poo but for the most part everything feels exactly the same to me. Could be because I play on normal difficulty and could never deal without the counter icons too.
Yup, try playing both games with them off. I've got about 200h clocked in AC and only hate it for the fact that I can't reset new game+ saves so I could play without counter icons all the time. Compared to my experience with AC the camera issues (and insufficient dissimilarity of appearance of different enemy types) in AO ng+ really pop out.

• Locked thread