Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

There have been quite a few videos on YouTube with game play. One shows Barbara Gordon in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsfA4VyV0o

Oh cool, I haven't watched any videos/done any background yet, but that seems to be Batman fighting cops.

This is really going for the early years of his life when everyone and everything in Gotham was corrupt as hell, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, 100% agree with Terminally Bored. If you liked Asylum/City, this is a good game. So far judging from the early game, I'd actually put it above City, since it seems tighter in a few ways.

New Batman is aping Conroy, but not 100%. It works because he actually feels like a younger Conroy which is right for the setting. He's also hitting the emotional "I am young Batman and not quite good at this yet." chords right.

Agreeing on the lack of belief being fantastic. It's neat as someone who grew up with older Batman to see Gordon going on about how the Bat can't be real, and thugs/villans very confused as to why a man is running around in his skivvies fighting crime. It's especially neat as a huge Batman fan to see eventual allies be very curious as to what Bruce is doing, and his early responses to many iconic villians he's been used to for awhile in later works. ( "Alfred, I just fought a man sized crocodile." "A what sir?" )

Lot's of iconic Gotham locations, outside of the Asylum. Feels a little bit like you are actually exploring the city.

Combat feels off, just a little. He seems to move just a bit slower then I remember, which is leading to me getting hit a bunch in the early game. Starting to get used to it, and panning it off as just him being in a heavier suit he wasn't used to.

Plot is interesting. I actually want to learn more as to whats going on, which is better then City.

One thing I haven't seen people mention yet is it starts you right off with the gadgets you had to find in Asylum/City, yet still has a number of slots open for new stuff. Curious to see what that might be.

Of course this could all fall apart, and it may end 5 hours in with a really dumb ending, but so far, really happy with it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone figure out how to get into the Bowery Tower? Trying to search the nearby area for openable doors, haven't found anything. Only door in seems locked.

Also beat up a few of the Enigma Blackmailers, and now have dozens of backpack locations on my map, but there doesn't seem to be anything at those spots. What am I missing with that?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
"Everyone deserves the chance to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps" - Bruce Wayne after donating ten thousand pairs of shoes, and only shoes, to a homeless shelter that burned down while he was fighting in it.

Well, they got Batman right. :allears:

e: It's a radio ad, not an ingame spoiler.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The Electrocutioner Boss fight alone is entirely worth $50.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Not sure how spoiler-y this is, but it's game-breaking until it gets patched, so I feel I need to warn people.

DO NOT TRY TO SOLVE THE TOWER PUZZLE IN BURNLEY.

You will be trapped because there's a glitch in it right now that means you can't complete the puzzle.

Out of curiosity, isn't this a large problem? So far I haven't been able to get into any of the towers until the plot demands it.

Or are only the plot important towers locked, and the rest open whenever?

e: For those encountering odd gameplay bugs outside of that, have you verified your files? If you unpacked through a VPN, there's a good chance some files might have been unpacked incorrectly. My AV also flagged a few files from the game as it was unpacking, so if you have a lovely AV, it might have just autovaulted them without telling you. Verifying the game this morning had it redownloading 17 files, which fixed a few of the bugs I had the first time around.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 25, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Any of you guys want to go try something? Few people on the Steam forums are saying they managed to get past the glitch by holding down crouch/forward while using the batclaw/at the vent. At least thats what I think they are saying, it's hard to tell with the Steam forums.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Here is my totally unbiased review.

Did you like Asylum more then City? You'll like Origins, and view it as a good game.

Did you like City more then Asylum? You'll like Origins, but view it as more of the same.

Are you a games journalist? You'll like Origins, but will point out that it's kind of becoming rote at this point, because that's your job, and it kind of is.

Made it nice and easy for people to figure out if they should get Origins.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Then what the hell are people talking about here saying that's not what was supposed to happen? :confused:

Because it's funny as hell, and some of us, unlike Veotax want that to remain a secret for people so when they hit it they can have a good laugh?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Unrelated to Bane:

I've still not seen ANYTHING to do with Deadshot or Shiva.

Haven't you uh, beaten the game?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Yup. Neither appear in the main story beyond being introduced at the beginning, and being present at meeting of all the assassins.

Whelp do you think they are side content you haven't found yet, or DLC?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Destroying the 10 uplinks per district is necessary to finish the Riddler storyline.

Can you beat the Riddler without unlocking Burnly? Like using a map to find all the stuff in the zone, but not turning the tower back on?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well He is the final boss for one thing.

Dude, rewrite this spoiler. I moused over it expecting it to be pretty nonchalant, and you somewhat just ruined the game for me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure this is the best Batman game.

They really actually hit all the reasons I liked these villains in the comics, rather then just adding them to add them, like it felt like they did in City. A good example is comparing the Mad Hatter introduction in both.

I'll be honest and say I never used quickfire/gadgets in combat before, because I never felt like I needed to in Asylum/City. Abusing jump/counter meant you could easily get through all the fights, no problems, even on Hard/NG+. Thanks to the smaller window on Counter, plus the larger number of enemies, and the introduction of not just more enemy types, but also more variety per battle, if I'm not quickfiring when I have the chance, I'm going to be overwhelmed quickly in Origins.

The story is the best of the three. Once again, you can really tell they loved the comics, and actually went to bring the rogues gallery to light properly. While Asylum was great for it's Batman vs Joker storyline, City fell flat as they dragged it out longer and longer to show you more bad guys, who usually only had a line or two before they disappeared again. Origins feels like they took a few of the major villains and gave them a decent amount of time to shine in the campaign, while also keeping other villains in the spotlight through the side quests.

The levels are tighter and more interesting then anything from Asylum/City, and the challenges keep me trying new things I would have otherwise ignored ( Sonic Batarang, perfecting my quickfire, etc. )

The boss fights are all interesting, well done, and in many cases amusing as well, a huge difference from both Asylum/City.

I also really appreciate all the side content. In Asylum I 100%ed that game outside of the Challenge rooms. In City, once I was done with the main quest, I stopped caring. Riddlers trophies where excessive, and none of the other side quests really drove me to complete them. I can see myself doing every Side Quest in Origins however, because I actually want to see how they all end.

This is the game I wanted City to be back when Rocksteady started talking about it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For those of you on NG+, do you start with all upgrades/gadgets? How about challenge completion? Can't see myself getting 15/15 Worst Nightmare on this first playthrough unless there are a hell of a lot more Predator Maps near the end.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anybody mind telling me what Batman says at the end of the Lady Shiva fight?

e: Like I got most of it he told Alfred to tell the GCPD about the bodies, one alive, one dead. Alfred said something about him being ok, Bats said the night isn't whatever, and I accidentally cut him off at that point by hitting the B button. Was trying to clear the flashing combo meter on the screen, but it also dropped the call. I was also in the midst of getting bombarded by popups/upgrade/level up/achievement notifications. Just want to make sure it ends on "We've got a hell of a lot more night Alfred" rather then "We have a hell of a lot more night Alfred, oh and also here is plot relevant stuff."

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 26, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I didn't realize you could slow down remote control batarangs until about 20 minutes ago.

I got all the collectibles in Asylum, City, and am halfway done with all of them here. I just had to retry 50+ times for the remote control trickshots, and thought they were supposed to be tough. :(

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fuzz posted:

So... after skimming this thread, what you're telling me is that I should just hold off until it's patched, huh.

According to the Steam forums, the unpacking process was bugged with the game, which probably doesn't also help that most of us unpacked off a VPN.

I know in my case, the game was super buggy as well until I verified, then all those bugs cleared right up. ( outside of the Burnely Vent. ) Ended up having to redownload 17 files.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gunder posted:

Steam will always re-download a few files, even with a perfect install. It probably didn't replace anything at all. That sounds like some steam forums bullshit.

Except for the fact I was locked in the Final Offer until I did it, then everything worked fine after I did, and I haven't had any issues since.

I dunno, made me a believer.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone figure out the Diamond Tower yet? I have the Disruptor, but it looks like the jammer is underneath the tower, in an area hidden by boards. But I can't blow them up because they are on the side of the building.

Is it just a future upgrade, or am I missing something here?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

You're like minutes away from it.

I've got a question for you guys though, why the gently caress are we hunting down Riddler? So he gathered up a bunch of blackmail material and is planning on releasing it to the public. That's not even really extortion because he's not giving them the option to pay him to make it go away. Why the hell should I care that he's going to reveal a bunch of Gotham's worst to be horribly corrupt people? Even if he was previously extorting them for money, him releasing the information to the public doesn't seem like the sort of thing to get mad about.

Because that would cause mass chaos at this point. This is Loeb era Gotham, not Gordon. 90% of the Police are on the take, every politician is crooked, and the judges are working for the bad guys. And some of those guys aren't necessarily bad people, but are more like the Warden at the beginning, they were forced into their dirt through intimidation/blackmail themselves, and have only dug their way further down.

Completely kicking the chair out underneath organized government right after a night like the one that occurs in Origins is a -bad thing-. There would be riots, government intervention, and it would give the people Batman didn't beat the poo poo out of tonight a huge opportunity to take power for themselves at the expense of the common people, since the status quo would have been destroyed. Especially since Batman's way actually does work in the end. Gordon will clean up the police, the judges/DA clean up under Dent, politicians start to be less crooked once it stops being just Batman in Gotham, and more Justice League and America, etc.

It'd be a man made No Mans Land scenario.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, gently caress all the reviews, that Joker/Bat/Harley falling for each other scene was loving great. That is exactly how that origin scene should have been done in video game form.

e: I am never going to get the Worst Nightmare path finished. :smith: Or the Shadow Vigilante one either to be honest, the r15 challenge seems daunting.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 27, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Solomonic posted:

If you head forward and to the right after going to the Batcave, right before the first set of stairs there's a switch to open the Batsuit chamber, and you can change outfits there.

Quick related question: I completed r15 of World's Greatest Detective and it says I unlocked something. What'd I get? I thought at first it might be a suit, but there's nothing new in the suit chamber.

I think you unlocked an achievement.

My guess at least. :shrug:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, some of the Datapacks are seemingly impossible.

Someone said earlier that explosive gel counts as weight on pressure pads? I've been trying that trick and it doesn't seem to be working.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have to disagree with most of you.

Asylum was an amazing game. Each encounter was tightly designed, every room was planned out meticulously. Every single villain was given just the amount of time they deserved for they place in the overall Batman hierarchy, and they used what resources they had to namedrop dozens of things for us Batman fans. Even the collectibles felt well thought out. Nothing about that game was halfassed. While the story ended a bit poorly, the buildup and execution for most of the game was phenomenal.

City on the other hand was the exact opposite. Encounters were slapdash at best outside of the challenge rooms, the city was a gigantic sprawling mess. Most of the indoor zones were alright, but they frequently reused the same rooms/areas over and over again, rather then taking the time to reinvent new combat arenas. The collectibles felt like they had been thrown into the game at whim, or out of boredom, and even the side content was poorly thought out. The story was completely slapped together, and they spent most of it bringing out various villains, having them say hi, and then taking them back out again. Nobody was given any sort of time or attention, because they were too busy trying to cram all the villains in.

Origins is a return to form in my books. The combat arenas are smartly designed, and they planned out every encounter from beginning to end, including those in the overall city. The city actually exists as a city now, rather then an area to reuse for plot/combat sequences. The collectibles and side quests feel fleshed out, and are interesting enough that I actually want to complete all of them. And that's not even counting the fact that the story is phenomenal, and they managed to capture not just major Batman villains like Bane, the Joker, and Penguin well, but also hit all the small time crooks with just as much ease. The Mad Hatter introduction in Origins is a perfect example of something his character would do, compared to the half assed nature of his introduction in City. Or hell, the Electrocutioner fights.

This isn't even counting the ( in my mind ) improvements to the combat. I ignored the Challenge Rooms in Asylum/City because I never felt the need to care. I could get by entirely off of strike/counter, without ever using quickfire, or really any tactics at all. By the end of both games, I'd almost never get hit, and would just critchain my way through the combat encounters. In Origins, every fight, even with street thugs is a challenge, and once I start fighting groups with Martial Arts/Shield/Heavies all together, I'm usually going to be taking hits. Once I clear the game, I can easily see myself doing the Challenge Rooms just to get my skills up enough for NG+/Night.

It's buggier sure, and a bit more rough around the edges. But if both these games had launched at the same time, and you asked me to pick the one Rocksteady made, I'd have picked Origins. This feels like the game that was made by the team behind Asylum, not City.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo, I better start backing up my save game. Same thing happened to me with Arkham City and I lost an 80+% completed game. :ohdear:

With Arkham City it was due to GFWL/Steamworks competing with each other. This one seems to be console specific, as the only people who've had it in this thread are all on the consoles. If you are playing the PC version, it's Steamworks, so it should be fine.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Unless the last ten percent of the plot has something as good as the Deathstroke fight was, I'm not sure if I'll even bother to finish it.

Yes, it does. The end of the game has Batman and Gordon working through their differences in a really nice way, and becoming allies/friends. It's also where the best fights/sequences happen, and most of the plot payoff occurs.

I'd really encourage you to beat it, you've only got like 1-2 hours left.

As for the rest of what you said, what exactly were you expecting? This is the Batman mythos, already the most nihilistic of the superhero settings, during the beginning era when everything was darkest. All the old Loeb era stuff was fairly harsh, which gave it it's early appeal.

Even with that, it's not like there isn't a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. The events of Origins give Gordon enough leeway to fire the worst of the GCPD and replace them with his own officers. Brandon will eventually die, allowing Gordon to replace SWAT with something less thugish, Dent becomes emboldened by Batman/Gordon and becomes district attorney, and during his time he helps clear out the justice system of Gotham.

Hell, the two biggest people in Gotham at the time get crippled during the course of Origins Black Mask was always a "has been" crook in the later comics, but in the earlier years, basically owned Gotham through corruption. And Falcone was a huge pusher for corrupting people. Penguin takes Falcone out of the game on his own, while Batman/Joker take out Black Mask. None of the other crooks outside of maybe Penguin really care about buying cops, so that alone takes out a huge amount of corruption.

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed at that they turned it from Batman vs Black Mask to Batman vs Joker, but ultimately, I think they handled it very well. It brings it from just another night, to the origin story of the Joker, the origin story of Batman working with the cops, the origin story of the Gordon/Batman friendship, the origin story of Barbara/Batman, etc etc. It sets the stage for all future Batman stuff.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The roof of the police station counts as a predator arena. It's also full of ledges/corner takedown spots. No idea if there are vents up there though. I know you can get the explosive gel takedown by just putting it on the floor, then having a guy walk on top of it, so if there is a vent, that'd work as a respawnable predator point.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Sober posted:

I do not remember either of these arenas to have vents. Grates on the ship deck, yeah.

How does the explosive gel takedown count if there isn't a wall though?

They walk over it and you set it off, so they go flying and get knocked out.

Still counts as a takedown.

I got that challenge done by blowing up gel on a corpse at least, so it doesn't seem to be very picky.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It keeps saying "dodge," but honestly the only way to get through that fight is be very lucky with counters (especially incredibly-hard-to-nail blade dodges), and still have a decent amount of health once you get to her 'quick as lightning' bullshit.

I had full Melee Armor by that point as well, and I can't imagine getting through it without it.

Quickfire Gel over and over again makes it easy to beat without ever taking a hit. :ssh:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Crowetron posted:

This is encouraging, though. So far, the thing dragging the game down so much is that none of my victories actually feel like I've done anything. I stopped the Joker, but only after he racked up a kill count in the dozens and blew up a building, and I was immediately treated to a scene reminding me that not only will Joker escape, but he'll become bigger and badder and more destructive. I storm Penguin's hideout and...he gets away. Best I can do is gently caress around with a few of his weapon crates. Take down Black Mask and he rants and raves about how he'll be out on the street by morning. I've played City, so I know he's right. Foiled the Hatter, but only after his damage was done. I couldn't do anything for his victim, all I could do was punch a mentally unstable goon and then leave. At least Deathstroke stayed down until I left.

If the ending can give me some sense of accomplishment, let me have a victory without screaming at me how fleeting it is, and give me some fun fights in the process, maybe I'll turn around on the plot.

Well, then you'll enjoy the end.

I mean, it still ends with "Gotham is still Gotham, we are a troubled city.", but the major problems of the night have been solved. Things will move forward in a positive way from here, and they make that clear. Even stuff you felt was left alone Black Mask, corrupt officials, etc., largely gets cleared up. Overall, the game ends on a very positive note, with Gordon preparing to clean up his precinct, Falcone/Black Mask unable to buy the new batch of cops, Joker and Bane locked up until the story needs them again, and the Assassins all under lock and key.

The only "bad guy" who gets out alright is the Penguin, but he's never been presented as a real threat in the Arkhamverse, just a greedy rear end in a top hat.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, anybody start NG+ yet?

If so, can you confirm if you keep your challenge level? At 14/15 Protector and Vigilante, and something like 5/15 Worst Nightmare. Would rather just roll that stuff up in to NG+ if possible, rather then continuing to scour this drat bridge for Crimes in Progress.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So uh, who is the last Character Bio? The one in the upper right corner?

I've done all crimes in progress but Riddler. I've got almost all Anarchy Symbols. I've beaten the game. All I have left to do is get the last 7 Datapacks from the GCPD, and I'll be done with everything. Yet it's still not unlocked.

I'm assuming it'll end up being Ghul/Strange/Sharp, it's just making me crazy with it being like that.

Also where are more recordings? I'm apparently only at 19/29. I somehow missed 10 recordings?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, just checking as I finish this up, and head back to City. In City's NG+, you restart with all gadgets, upgrades, and collectibles, right? It's theoretically possible to beat City, then go to NG+ and just collect all the collectibles as you progress through the game, as you have all the gadgets from the start?

Also, now that I've gotten all of them in Origins, if I start a NG+ here, I assume I'll be able to just fly on over to Enigma and beat him out right out of the gate?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Even without all the right or wrong talk, it's not Batman's way.

gently caress, the main theme he goes over constantly, in every single piece of Batman work, including Asylum and City is that people can be redeemed. If given the impetus, people will eventually fix themselves. That's his core philosophy, it's why he has a no kill rule, it's why he does what he does. Because if he can remove the rot at the center of Gotham, through money, or beatings, or hard work, then he won't need to fix Gotham, Gotham will fix itself.

Only a singular few cops/judges/politicians in Gotham are actually rear end in a top hat corrupt. Most fell in to it because their boss forced them, or their family was threatened, or they really needed to make that mortgage payment, and who cares if this single goon goes free. Kicking them all to the curb for a lapse of judgement is not the Batman way, because in his mind, it'll hurt "innocent" people who have been forced into the situations they are in. And if he can get their boss replaced, or get the crimelord whose been bribing them out of the way, they'll be able to be good citizens again.

And as we see from the comics, he's right. Gordon cleans up the GCPD with Batman's help, and a bit of hard work. Yeah, there's still corruption, but far less. Dent cleans up the system itself. The image of Batman as a protector draws dozens of new heroes out of Gotham's citizens to help him out, from the Bat family, to just generally helpful allies. The crippling of Black Mask/the Falcone's that happens in Origins stops a good 90% of the corruption in the city all by itself. The tone of Batman over the years has switched from "Yo this city is hosed because it's crippled" to "This is a strong city crippled by supervillans drawn to fight Batman."

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I would have found it hilarious if they kept up with the Origin stories, and made this also Nigma's.

Have him be a good cop, trying to help Batman out along with Barbara, then just have Batman just be the largest rear end in a top hat possible to him until he snaps and decides to murder everyone.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I can honestly see forcing you to buy at least 1-2 armor upgrades early on, because unlike most of this thread, the average gamer is very dumb, and very bad at games. Due to the more difficult boss fights/earlier nature of them, I could easily see people getting stuck on Deathstroke, and feeling annoyed they have to go "grind up for armor!". Hell, I could easily pull off 50+ combos in City without breaking a sweat, and cleared most of the challenge rooms, yet I still got rocked by Deathstroke, and got hit a bunch in the earlier fights, before I adjusted to the new camera/counter system.

Had I not been forced to buy that armor, I'd have been in a bad way for most of that section of the game, and probably been much less willing to keep going.

On the other hand, Bullet Armor is never, ever useful. And it's blocking off access to combo moves, which are -actually useful-.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 1, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anarky tags are REALLY easy when you realize they are only on the major buildings. Just go to all the buildings that you can actually enter, and that's more then half the tags by itself. After that, it's just the locations you've been/done stuff in. Crime Alley, the TV Station, etc.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah. I was really bummed that Black Mask was relegated to a side mission after the shell game was revealed. I really liked his voice actor and would like to have seen Batman taking on a mafia-style crime syndicate with higher stakes than the Maronis or Falcones. You really could have left Joker out of the picture from there - he's in Blackgate and even the rioting inmates are too scared to let him out. His story really peaks in the first sequence where he shoots his goons and tells Batman what bad men they were, then turning the gun on himself to call Batman's bluff, followed by that Joker-Harley sequence. Honestly, I didn't really care for their take on Bane. He starts off close to the comic book roots where he's intelligent and even discerns Batman's identity, but by the end he's even worse than the Arkham Asylum/Arkham City portrayals. Then again, I only really liked Nolanverse Bane anyway. I would have preferred for Black Mask to take the reigns as the antagonist at that point.

To be fair with Bane, they didn't have a choice there. Asylum Bane is an idiot. If they wanted to write a strong, intelligent Bane they had to have something happen to him at the end that led up to Asylum's version of Bane. Yeah it sucks, but I was ok with having a strong Bane for 90% of the story, even if they had to end him in such a lovely way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Right on the nose. Zsasz is an idiot, easily one of Batman's dumbest villains.

"Singleminded" is the nice term they apply in the comics, but yeah, Zsasz is a moron.

• Locked thread