Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is there a way to pull the camera back during combat sequences? Because I've died 3 times due to an enemy attacking off-screen.

Really, really can't figure out why the camera pulls in so close. City didn't have this problem so I'm not sure why this one does...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
God, this game is buggy, along with the tower vent bug I've encounter: Enemies knocked-out(for good) getting up again, 2 CTDs, Batman "Walking" through the air when trying to glide, getting stuck on various places and having to reload, and various gadgets failing to work or clipping right through enemies. I've lost track of how many batarangs I've thrown that just disappear and miss.

ethanol posted:

Two things I've notived... there don't seem to be any double counter attacks and unless I mixed this up with another game, enemies used to jump back and cringe on brutal takedowns but they don't anymore?

Double and triple counters happen more often as you progress through the story. Early on though it's really rare.

And yeah, enemies no longer recoil and the meaty bone-breaking sound is gone when doing takedowns. I actually find the animations for takedowns to be weak, despite being wholesale lifted from Arkham city. It's really weird.

DrNutt posted:

You're mixing Arkham up with Sleeping Dogs (though you still get invincibility frames for takedowns) and yes, there are double counters in this game. Haven't seen any triple counters yet though.

Wait, didn't enemies used to recoil when doing takedowns in AC? Maybe I got it confused with Sleeping Dogs too.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 26, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I know I'm going to get hit hard for this but.. I don't really like this game. Hell, I think I hate it.

Part of it is the keyboard controls but another part is that the PC port is kind of poo poo. I also hate how finicky combat is. I keep trying to disarm a gun wielding dude but I end up punching the guy next to him. Basically as long as there is a gun in combat I'm hosed. This brings me to the next point. The skill point system. I hate how so many useful abilities are locked behind other less useful abilities. I don't want gobs of health when I know disarm and destroy could solve half my problems with the game. I also feel like there are too many gadgets in the game. What's the point of concussion grenades? All they do is make enemies fire their gun wildly. Why would I use that?

There's also far too many enemies in the map. It gets to the point where I'm just running from combat constantly because of how boring it is to fight through a bunch of trash mobs to take down a transmitter. I never thought I would get tired of Batman's combat system but this game absolutely pushed me to my limit as to how much I can take.

I just don't feel like Batman. I feel like I'm stumbling through every encounter fighting the lovely keyboard controls (I really should buy a gamepad at this point, shouldn't I?) and wandering around stumbling over poo poo. The camera flailing everywhere doesn't help either. Maybe it'll click at some point. Maybe I suck at adapting to the changes.

I really hope it's just me though, it feels like a good game is underneath all this but I can't seem to get to it.

I absolutely adored Arkham city/asylum and 100% both. I had hoped that this one would be just as good and didn't care if it was a re-skin and whatnot. Now I'm not so sure.

*edit* Just remembered a question I had. Does anyone else have a bug where they cannot counter martial artist enemies? Every time I click the right mouse button I just go into batarang aiming mode and get hit. It's only these enemies that cause this glitch to happen.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 26, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

Absolutely. It was one of the best PC gaming related purchases I've made. Especially with the amount of effort put into the mostly crappy PC ports nowadays.

I know this is, and always will be, the right answer but it always irks me that developers will release a pc game with poo poo keyboard controls. At the very least let me bind things to the extra mouse buttons I have!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

ShineDog posted:

But thats not PC specific is it?

I've heard that it is but I may have heard wrong. Still an odd thing to have in a finished game.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
God almighty please, fix the camera in combat so I can actually see behind me. Keep the tower bug and random CTDs but I really hope this gets fixed first, it's basically killing the game for me.

Also I still can't counter martial artists so I'm just chalking this up to a bug. One more to add to the pile.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hit counter twice. They have dual attacks (more lines in the counter indicator), and you have to treat it as two incoming attacks or it'll go through.

VVVVV: It's explained, you just have to go to challenge mode and do the training for it. No idea why they took the explanations for the enemy types out of the encounters themselves.

I get that, the problem is when I hit counter twice I just go into batarang aiming mode.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
For those of you having troubles with counter timing, difficult combat and dodging, all of this is related to how close the camera is. In Arkham city the camera would pull back in large fights to point of almost being bird's eye view at times but in origins it doesn't and it makes a HUGE difference. Go back to City and play the large mob challenge fights then go play origins and see what a huge difference it makes.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Whelp, just got to a boss battle where I have to dodge over the bosses head but the dodge button doesn't work properly! Good job Devs! Also just discovered that the game will sometimes randomly reset parts of your key-bindings when you load it up.

I think this game broke me. I have no desire to play after all the bugs and bullshit difficulty changes. Between the camera, poo poo not working right and bullshit encounters you can barely respond to, I have no drive to continue.

raditts posted:

It explains it to you when you first encounter them, it even goes into slo-mo so you can see what to do.

I never got this. It would've helped immensely during fights but I never got the slow-mo tutorial. Probably because I got hit off-screen by something and it canceled the explanation. I've had that happen before during fights too!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

Biggest difference I've noticed after playing City for the past week to prime myself for Origins is that the thugs tend to bunch up a lot more in Origins, almost to the point where they're clipping through each other when they're right on top of you. Unlike City, Origins doesn't seem to grant you the same leeway and Batman just kind of careens into a blob of guys, only hitting one and leaving you open to getting smacked around. The dodge doesn't seem to be as effective in Origins, either, leaving you more open to attack.

I'm definitely not experiencing any of the "counter button doesn't work due to timing/whatever" issue, though. Playing both on PC with an Xbox controller, if it makes any difference.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. It really doesn't help when there's a shield mixed in and trying to hit him while he's surrounded by other guys is almost random.

I welcome the difficulty spike but not like this. Pull back the camera, make dodge more useful and have more multi-counter opportunities and I would enjoy it more.

Unrelated, I just discovered one of my case files is impossible to complete because I cannot interrogate the guy needed to progress. The prompt never comes up. Anyone run into this?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Zsinjeh posted:

Thanks man! And yeah, the camera thing is really loving bugging me too. I feel like I'm getting a hang of the combat but then someone just pops out of nowhere with a 60 feet bat swing and clocks me because I couldn't see him coming :argh:

Early on it annoyed me but otherwise I was okay. Later though, when enemy types really start to amp up it will absolutely push your resolve to the limit. I ended up rage-quitting when a group of gun-toting enemies gunned me down because I couldn't even see them. I have the same problem with heavy dudes clocking me unawares.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Sober posted:

Post-game traversal is a little annoying in the newer part of the map when it is literally snipers on every roof top.

I've pretty much avoided going into the diamond district for this reason. Doesn't help that snipers will spawn in randomly while nearby in areas. Was pretty surprised to land on a rooftop and have 2 snipers pop into existence.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Multiplayer should've been co-op for both sides. One team needs to secure and protect areas while the heroes rain death from above.

Having the goons duke it out and then "oh look, Batman!" is just awkward.

Also for some reason I kick rear end while playing as Deathstroke but suck playing as Batman. I really wish Batman attacked faster. Deathstroke was a joy to play because of this. That and longer range.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure critical counters are bugged. I've waited until the last second to counter and it still doesn't do anything.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

GuyCastle posted:

3) This is the one that's driving me bonkers. In Burnley, East of the comms tower on the edge of the map, there's a stairway along the waterline leading up to a door. It's also the same location where you need to charge up a generator to unlock a data pack. Now, that door is locked, and I'm wondering if it's a result from what I described in question 1) or if it's somehow a DLC related thing no one is supposed to be able to open?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I saw this too and it bugs me. I can't figure out if it was ever used in the main missions or if it's just leftover from something else.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Fighting it so terrible now. After every punch I throw I have to wait half a second to make sure that nobody is going to punch me, since I cannot interrupt my punch animation to counter. The flow is just dead. The more I play it, the more I realize how much this ruined the game.

I've been playing an embarrassing amount of origins lately and this is exactly how I play after hours of experimenting with combat. The wait and see approach is pretty much the only way to keep combat multipliers up which in turn, ironically breaks flow like mad.

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In9VIB3jwM4

Am I playing a different game from everyone else or something? Saying you can't counter out of attacks is wrong.

There's a good example of how bad the camera is in this. From :26-:37 a goon picks up a crate and the camera pans away while he's off screen for a good 10 some-odd seconds. If he had thrown that crate at any point you never would have been able to see it flying towards you.

Also that is some drat nice fighting!

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 30, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Really, really starting to think the pc version is far more bugged than I thought. And that's saying something.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, seriously. What is terrible about wanting something with the great gameplay of Arkham City, but with another new Bat-story with different Bat-villains and other Bat-things to do?

This is what dlc and expansion packs are for. Not whole new games, at whole new prices. I agree with your sentiment but it seems the industry really likes slapping new coats of paint on older products and released them as prequels or "in-between" sequels.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If Enigma said he was going to blackmail/extort people with it then yeah, big ethics problem there.

However I chose to interpret it was him just dumping everyone's dirty laundry and letting chaos unfold. And really, considering how corrupt and lovely the GCPD and Gothic City are I was tickled pink at the thought of it happening tbh.

Also I wish that one day Batman would just snap and point-blank shoot one of the villians in the head. Never going to happen I know, but God what a glorious image it would be if Bain or the penguin got a lead sandwich after all their moralizing. It's getting to the point where I kind of see Batman as a wimp simply because half the city is murdered and all he has to show for it is some cackling lunatic with handcuffs on. Whoever said they're cribbing from the New 52 was spot on.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I do. I've even made it through without taking any damage before. But I've also had him take me from 100% health to 0%, even while spamming counter the entire time. It feels like there is some kind of rhythm or timing to it and if I miss just one beat then I can't get back into the groove and the rest of the hits get through and murder me.

I had a mouse with this issue where if I pressed the button repeatedly it would stop recognizing inputs. One solution is to temporarily re-bind the key to the keyboard instead.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Slim Killington posted:

I'm assuming he's spamming the counter button, which is what's ruining his challenges (breaking free flow).

He's wouldn't have a x16 combo going though.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that hard mode was easy as gently caress as enemies will simply non-stop attack you and you can stand still and counter to your heart's content.

They ain't joking. I'm basically unstoppable as enemies will gladly throw themselves at me over and over. Hell, they attack me so fast I can use multi-takedown to knock-out at least 3 enemies at any given moment. It's practically easier than normal.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Whelp, found a new bug. Whenever a martial artist tries to do a multi-counter combo on me he gets stuck in a t-pose and I can't counter them. Repeatable too and affects all martial artists even after a quit-and-load.

I'm starting to get Gothic 3 flashbacks here. Hell, Origins even has abilities that don't even work just like G3!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Found yet another glitch, this one may not be repeatable.

I just got the final melee armor level but my health never increases. Not huge or gamebreaking just one more thing on the poo poo-pile of bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm doing I am the Knight difficulty and yeah, it's the melee armor bar. My gun armor is maxed out and that's fine but melee is one tick short of max for some reason.

• Locked thread