Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beeez posted:

It kind of depends on the story. Some of the stories from the eighties have Bruce wanting to be an FBI agent until all the bureaucratic red tape has him quitting in disgust like a week after being accepted.

Yeah, the Untold Legend of the Batman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Untold_Legend_of_the_Batman) has him deciding during a criminology course (he originally wanted to be a Police Officer) that he wants to serve Justice, not the Law and deciding that he will become a vigilante. This is was basically canon for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Jesus dude are you just mashing your fat greasy hands against the controller and hoping for the best or what??

I've been baffled at the Deathstroke complaints. I did it on hard and finished it on my first try. It's a cool-looking fight but it's just a bunch of countering.

While I agree that the combat timing has changed slightly between AC and AO, it's not a huge adjustment to just play the AO way. Just don't keep trying to maintain your AC timings and play AO the way it wants to be played.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Orv posted:

This is sort of off sort of on topic; A couple people, maybe just one, mentioned Under The Red Hood as a really good Batman movie, and it absolutely is. The question now is are there more treatments in that style of DC stuff? I keep hearing the Superman stuff from a couple years ago was excellent but... Superman.

Have you watched Batman: Year One? It's excellent.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

Origins has a great Hamilesque Joker, and it is better for it. I have no problem with people basically using Hamil as a model for their Joker because Joker is essentially a cartoon character in the same way Optimus Prime, Popeye, and Daffy Duck are. He basically has a voice thanks to Hamil and the only time going off model would work is if the Joker being portrayed is, himself, somehow "off model" like Heath Ledger. I'd say DiMaggio's Joker was pretty Hamilesque, just a lot deeper, but I liked it well enough.

I really hope the next Arkham game basically adapts Under the Red Hood in addition to Hush. Then we can get some crazy Red Hood maps/challenges/story mode stuff.

I don't think this is true at all. There have been many portrayals and interpretations of Joker of the years, Hamill is just one of them. A very good one but certainly not the 'definitive one'. I can't imagine Joker from 'A Serious House on Serious Earth' (also called Arkham Asylum), being voiced by Hamill. Or the Joke in Dark Knight Returns. I think the 'The Killing Joke' Joker would be well-served by Hamill though.

I thought DiMaggio worked for Red Hood, but was very far removed from Hamil's joker.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

CzarChasm posted:

I'd love this idea. You're playing as Bruce, when you spot something like one of the caterers is actually the Joker. Now you have to navigate through the crowd, and tail the Joker, without being noticed by thugs or arousing suspicion from the guests. I'm picturing a level from Hitman, where you have no weapons, and your goal is to just blend in as best you can, but you're probably one of the best known people around. Maybe things are easier if you make your way to a fire alarm to get people out of there. Or you find a balcony you can escape through.

poo poo, just for fun, have it take place during a Halloween party where Bruce is dressed like Superman. Or, to steal more from the latest Hitman, it's a masquerade ball, and the action button raises a mask to Bruce's face.

You are kind of describing the much derided tailing missions in Assassin's Creed 3 and 4. This is not typically fun in practice, based on general consensus regarding previous implementations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

I'm hoping for an Origins 2 which shows some interim Batman, with Harvey Dent and Catwoman as the main focuses. It wouldn't be a particularly new or groundbreaking story, but it could be drat fun and cinematic, because really, for me I just want to run around feeling like Batman, I don't actually need some amazing new story that pushes the envelope and treads new ground... I just want a well told Batman tale where I actually get to be the Bat.

I'd like it if they brought in one of the newer threats like Court of Owls that have a city-wide scope. Something where Batman is broken down and stripped of much of his tech (too many gadgets) and builds himself back up (yay, new gadgets) could be pretty fun.

The labyrinth would make a pretty fun level.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
If the next game does not require the use of bat shark repellant, then I don't want to play it.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Assuming Bruce is in his early-to-mid teens at the start of the show's run, that's at least a side of Batman that hasn't really been treated in depth in animation or live action. They tend to go from the Crime Alley shooting and its immediate aftermath right to Bruce in his early 20s.

The problem is that the show will inevitably fall into the trap Smallville did where it feels the need to introduce iconic comic characters even though they don't fit in the setting at all (like Smallville did with Zod, Brainiac, etc.) so we'll probably end up with teenage Catwoman and Joker somehow. Ugh.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
^^^ I hope there's a button to summon your Batmobile and slam it into whatever the Titan-mook equivalent is.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Might have missed it, are there going to be civilians now?

It was kind of ridiculous they weren't around at all in Origins, and it shouldnt be that hard since Arkham City sorta did that with the few political prisoners around that you couldnt fight and just hung around huddled like homeless dudes but also giving funny reactions whenever batman just walks on by.

The excerpt from GI above said the city's been evacuated. Origins had curfew, now Knight has a city-wide evacuation. I don't know why anyone lives in Gotham.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Toady posted:

I wish there was a solution for allowing free-roaming in populated areas without contrivances like this so we could go around stopping muggers in terrifying ways like Michael Keaton.

Don't the Spider-Man games all do this? The open-world ones anyway. I seem to remember civilians in Amazing Spider-Man and in Spidey 2.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Ha, that was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

CaptainMidnight posted:

In my opinion it sucks that Batman Arkham Knight will only be for the PS4, XBox One and PC. Why leave the people that have the Xbox 360 and PS3 out in the cold? Just make a disk for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Sony and Rocksteady would profit greatly from it. Opinions?

There isn't a button on Rocksteady's Game Design UI that says 'print XBOX 360' disk they're refusing to push.

Xbox 360 and PS3 have different architectures from PC, PS4 and Xbox One. It is non-trivial to port your codebase to another platform.

On top of what Crappy Jack is talking about where the game itself is not built for the hardware limitations of the older platforms.

In my opinion it sucks that they are not printing disks for the Atari, NES, SNES, and Commodore 64. Sony and Rocksteady would profit greatly from it. Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I definitely find the AO control complaints odd because I played the game on hard right off the bat (heh), on PC, and never had any issues with counter timing despite having played AA and AC before. I thought the Deathstroke fight was fun but didn't find it particularly mystifying and beat it on the first go. While I can accept that there are some legitimate complains about AO, I don't think it's fair to lay all the blame on the game when you don't do well. Perhaps the control timings are not identical to previous games, but they are internally consistent (as in the game controls the same throughout) so it's just a matter of adjusting if anything. That's no different from transitioning to timing adjustments in Dark Souls -> Dark Souls 2.

• Locked thread