Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Games up for pre purchase on Steam now. Also this video showcases the multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hL-wEr32dI
Looks fun as hell

Edit : damnit, taken down by Warner brothers. Showcased the three different factions. Gadgets that can be used. Bane and Joker as super villains controlled by gang members halfway through the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/batman-arkham-origins-ditches-gfwl-for-steam-on-pc-6413149

Yesssss, burn in the fires of hell stupid GFWL.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Nice short trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4j6fMwIxw

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Holy smokes is this game gorgeous. Seeing the gorgeous sprawling gothic architecture in snow covered christmas time is a dream come true for me. Spent half the time in game so far taking pictures of the city , and punching out goons to the tune of sinister batman Carol of the Bells.

Seems like a worthy successor to the Arkham franchise so far. Batman is more terrifying than ever to his enemies, and even the toughest villains go "What ARE you?!" after facing you.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Lady Shiva's thing in the comics is that she is the best martial artist in the world. Like the literal actual best martial artist in the world and (at least when the comics are not being shittily written) she isn't going to ever lose in a straight-up fight.

Pfft, Shiva's got nothing on the Bat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvVY8PMafI&t=180s (mute horrid music)

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man that is stupid. Batman should be ripped apart fighting Shiva hand to hand unless she is testing him. (Like this game)

I always liked the way combat in arkham games work. Against swarms of enemies, batman has to leap about and needs several hits to knock someone down, but when he's 1v1 against someone he'll pretty much stomp them instantly. The only villains who are a match for him one on one are Deathstroke and Bane (Though against Bane its those rear end in a top hat goons who're the biggest problem)

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I really enjoyed the game, though as others have said the more I played the more I realized it really is lacking in that little extra something that Asylum and City had. Not to say it's a bad game, because I loved playing it and plan to replay it pretty drat quickly through New Game+, and I really dug the story - but there was just a little extra spark missing, and somehow this time it ended up feeling weird just how much was happening in one night even though the previous two games had such a tightly packed single night timeframe.

I really, really wish that Joker had ended his story after that amazing interview with Harley and they'd stuck to Bane as the main villain. I did enjoy those final interactions between Batman and Joker (in a :stare: kind of way) but I could really use a game where Joker isn't always front and center. As for Black Mask, it was disappointing that he was never really involved in any of the plot other than on the periphery. When Batman realized it was Joker who set up the assassins I was disappointed, I thought it would have been far better to show this sadistic but old school mob guy kicking things off thinking he could control the situation, only for it to spiral out of control once the "freaks" got involved. Having those freaks running crazy just be all part of Joker's plan all along was a bit of a disappointment.

At least they finally got Bane to be more than just a joke - they did far better than Rocksteady in that regard at least.

Agreed with all your points. The story really hit a high point after Saving the Joker at the Royal hotel. Everything after that felt rather lackluster in comparison

I love how the Arkham games take the best elements from all the Batman sources and meld it into their own version. Origins Bane clearly has a lot of inspiration from Nolan's film with his mercenary army HERMANOS. The gothic architecture and tones from the Burton films. The Rogue's gallery from the animated series. Even the sprawling dystopia gotham with bright neon colours from Schumacher are blended in. I'll keep buying Arkham games no matter who makes them.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Apologies if this has been posted before.

Rightclick on arkham origins in steam. Click properties. Press "Set launch options" and type in "-nostartupmovies"

Lets you skip the horrendously long loading screens.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

If I knew there was a good chance some dude in a costume was going to swoop down from the sky and cave in my skull, I'd try to kill that motherfucker on sight too.

Or they could just cower in the corner and batman will leave them alone :colbert:

One of my favorite things about the arkham games is listening to the banter between the thugs waiting around. There's one bit in AC where this dude does an amazing impression of Harley and Joker:
"Oh hurt me some more Mr J!"
"Distract them my dear, while I make a daring escape!"

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

I think that was John DiMaggio

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1484330/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

Might be this guy. He does that thick new yorker brute thug

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

HenessyHero posted:

I remember there used to be idle conversations between crooks in AC lamenting how they just got their asses handed to them a few hours before by Bats and they seemed no worse for wear. You can assume Arkham Batman's moves are mostly just theatrical nightmare fuel if you like.

Most of those are saying "Batman broke 3 ribs and my arm 6 months ago back in arkham asylum". Thugs wouldn't be that scared of him if he didn't break some bones.

I thought they did a good job of showing the difference between mature Kevin Conroy batman in asylum/city who has this icy/calm demeanor while interrogating thugs ; he knows he can make them talk. In Origins he's far more aggressive and brutal, dropping them 30 feet down into Christmas trees.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

I always thought it was funny that Penguins bio mentions him being excellent at hand-to-hand combat. First time through I thought that would be a hint in a fight against him, but in that encounter Pengiun is definitely not excellent.

That's more a case of Batman being so much better. Even a 600 year old super human master assassin who's drugged Batman to think he's facing multiple assailants is no match for the Bat.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

True. The "no kill" policy is more at the forefront of these games when you have characters like Joker killing dozens and dozens of people. Batman in the earliest issues (like '39-'42) did actually kill in a few instances, but honestly it's just one of those traits that makes him more heroic and I'm fine with that. Batman: The Animated Series actually addressed it nicely by having Bruce Wayne as a board member at Arkham Asylum so he can improve security and make his job as Batman a little easier. It's a comic book so certain conceits apply. Still though, I like getting into the Batman psyche as much as comics, movies, and games allow.

EDIT: To get back to the thread topic, I liked that the Bruce Wayne skin didn't have that same grim expression as the Batman skins. He actually looks a little saddened and has some bruising on his face, which I liked.

Makes you wonder why there hasn't been some grassroots "Mother's against Joker" group formed lobbying for the psycho's to get executed. The whole "Never kill off a villain" is always what brings me out of enjoying the longer running comics. Much prefer the One-offs like "Red Son" or such where they can have self contained stories where things change.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Yup. I agree. I remember that game and really wanting to like it. They were trying to do some cool poo poo there. Played the hell out of it until I realized how broken and hosed up it really was but it did hint on some interesting possibilities to take the Batman style game play.

Geez. What's everyone's specific problem and gigantic issue with vehicles in a loving Batman game of all things? What's any less Batman-ish about a game that handles that element of the character? Cause, you know, Batman never drives, flies or travels anywhere except grappling and gliding with his cape all over the city. Then he just punches people.

What an odd thing to get upset about and base purchasing decisions around.

The devs said when they were working on Arkham City that the reason they didn't add any vehicles was because they didn't feel like they could do Batman justice with them. Players would most likely crash into things and fumble around, ruining the whole super-competent image of Batman. Ofcourse, they probably never saw those people in this thread diving into the water all the time...

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Mq posted:

Definitely hoping for some fresh villains at least for the sidequests. Pyg would be great. gently caress, I'd rather save some civillians from a train "fixed" by Humpty Dumpty than deal again with Riddler and his poo poo.

You can have Batman face the same foes all the time in comics but in a series of games the threat becomes less convincing if you keep fighting dudes that got taken out like chumps in the previous installment.

Also hoping Batman is less of an rear end in a top hat in this one. I know he had a rough night in City but he came across like a piece of poo poo in many scenes. I'd rather have smug Batman from Asylum.

After three games of having to put up with Riddler's poo poo, I'm surprised Bats hasn't beaten him so badly he has to breathe through a straw. Enough with Riddler's shenanigans.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

The bridge section was easily my favorite part as well. It was one of the few times where I was thinking that The Goddamn Batman is the only person who could possibly salvage this situation, and he only barely squeaks by.

I wish I could have enjoyed the bridge sequence like you guys :( I felt Origins had hit its peak after the whole Joker telling his backstory deal, and everything that came after it felt weak in comparison.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2_iUkojCY

I can't get over how fantastic Gotham looks in that video. Watched him fly through the sequence 6 times now.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I should probably mention that I'm playing on PC.

Ctrl+right mousebutton

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

The DC logo in the intro looked a lot like Deathstroke's mask. Maybe that's who Arkham Knight is? Would explain what the hell Waller was doing with him at the end of Origins.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

HYPE. Arkham Knight working with Scarecrow? Wonder what that's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

We have known that he is one of Scarecrows Henchmen for a while.

Have we? I thought he was working for Amanda Waller.

• Locked thread