Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

I want to try out the game, but hearing that the timing on combat is messed up (my main reason to replay challenge maps over and over) and that I knew Deathstroke was gonna be a robin reskin from the trailer, I don't think it's worth 50 bucks. Not even with the GMG voucher making it 35 bux I feel is not worth the trouble.

And yet, I still want to buy it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Sober posted:

You have to break some habits from AC, especially regarding combat (but going back isn't that big a deal since combat is almost mostly a lateral move going from AC minus the enemy types in AO), that's about it. Gadgets range from functionally the same (glue grenade) to slightly gimped versions (like the concussion detonator) to interesting (remote claw in predator rooms).

Deathstroke isn't a complete Robin reskin, but awfully close. Since you don't have it yet anyway, might as well wait until they put the DLC on steam and discount it cheap.

Did you miss the 20$ amazon deal?

fake edit: It's still 20$

I did not know about the Amazon deal, and I took advantage of it. Thank you very much. I'm gonna give Origins a shot. I loving loved Arkham, especially City, so maybe more of the same is a good thing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

I really need the disarm combo. At what point in the game do you earn it?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Phylodox posted:

I was having trouble with the combat, too. Everything seemed so much more frantic until I realized that combat is actually a bit slower in Arkham Origins than in the other two. In Asylum and City you fight by hitting almost non-stop because otherwise your combo dies. In Origins the margin is a lot bigger, so I've been going "<Hit>...Okay, need to counter? No? Okay...<Hit>...Oops, need to counter...<Counter>...Okay, we good? Alright...<Hit>" I've found the game much easier, now.

I'm having the opposite reaction. I've had a lot of situations where it looks like the henchmen will not hit me, but then he warps to my location, punching me. Apparently I was close enough to be able to counter it, but you couldn't really tell by looking at it until it was too late.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

A piece of advice. When you take down Bird, do not decide to stop playing and quit, please exit the building before you do so.

The map itself has dissapeared as I tried leaving a few rooms so I quit and restarted. I am now floating in a completely black void everytime I load the game. Good thing I finished the game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Is there a sort of console cheat thing I could do to teleport me back to the batcave? I'm still in the middle of nothingess in what used to be the "My Alibi" bar. I'd like to complete a few more things before getting into the meat of New Game plus.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've heard some people used Restart from Checkpoint to get it to fix.

That is not an option unfortunately. The My Alibi bar was the center of a most wanted mission, and it also saved automatically whenever I used a door. That means that no matter what, my checkpoint will take place inside the building.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

They should have stuck to being able to pick your skin before trying New Game Plus instead of having to go to your batsuit chamber to change. The suit resets back to the original everytime you load the game in New Game Plus.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

raditts posted:

This is the weirdest loving analogy I've ever read.

The weirdest part is that I agree with all of it. I'm trying to complete this game, but unlike the previous ones made by Rocksteady, I do not enjoy it because there's a lot of missed opportunities.

Also just now I had a big armored bruiser ram me into a wall, no-clipping me into it, leaving me stuck with a bunch of gangsters looking at me. I think they also expected you to never get hit by a bruiser fella, because when you do let him tackle you, they felt the need to not have any sound play for it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 5, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Multi-Batarangs are ridiculous, period. They're like free power gadgets.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

New Game Plus. I get into a fight in a plaza, and I get a D level on the fight because there's a thug with a shield I am unable to hit because the game thinks I already beat the guy, throwing off my timing. It's just a dude cowering behind a shield inching away from me as I walk towards him.

I'm inside the royal gotham hotel, doing the first predator map just before the cutscene where you get the gloves and the last guy I need to take down has actually noclipped into the map, forcing me to restart the encounter.

Arkham City sure as poo poo didn't have bugs like this. Did they playtest this?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

MrJacobs posted:

I finally got my copy of Origins back from my brother, and I was wondering if Initation Bruce Wayne had any alternate costumes?

The other skin Initiation Bruce has is Vigilante Bruce, just him wearing a ninja mask and a lot of gear before he had the idea of the bat.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Shnag posted:

Bet Copperhead last night on new game plus on hard, but had to cheese it in order to do it. I punched, re-direct, punch, re-direct, while throwing concussion grenades and laying down bat jell, using combat take down on her once I found the real one. I tried taking them on like a regular group of thugs, but I just couldn't read them when they were going to attack in order to counter them. With a group of thugs, you could always see when a guy would break away from a group for a punch, but with copperhead I had a much harder time. Also, was the head-stand spin kick thing she does unblockable? It seemed I just couldn't counter some of her attacks.

Here's some advice for that fight, use Multi Batarangs. It absolutely devastates the phantoms. Vault over one, throw three, punch/counter, vault over another, throw until the real one shows.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 3, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Just to let anyone know who doesn't have Arkham Origins, right now Green Man Gaming is selling it 66% off, making it 16.99. It's not worth 50 or 40, but for more arkham, no matter how buggy, it's worth less than 30, and it's the lowest I've seen it yet.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

CuwiKhons posted:

I liked Origins, but I soured on Warner Bros Montreal when they announced that they were too busy making DLC to fix the disastrous number of bugs in their game. Origins is a genuinely good game, but knowing what I do now about its bug history, I'm not sure I would buy it again.

Almost all of my posts here have been about arkham Origins bugs, and my dude is still hanging out somewhere in the Ether because I picked a room with a datapack at "My Alibi".

I really don't feel like going through all the trouble of restarting my original game to get the disarm combo again.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

After seeing some pictures, I guess Commish Gordon is back to being young? In asylum and city he was two days away from retirement.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Ohhhhh, So that's the suit that you could find by accessing the console.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So I still dunno what causes it. I'm getting the unseen exp award, but I'm not unseen according to the challenge. It's so dumb.

Did you finish the challenges leading up to this one? Because you apparently have to do those in order.

I could've gotten Shadow Vigilante ages ago had I realized I had to go slidekick into people.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Is it a seperate button to start the story, just like Harley Quinn's Revenge? Because in my original save, he's been stuck in the my alibi black void for months.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

I'm up to the my alibi area, and i'm afraid of going in. I can't believe they think this game is fixed, now people will realize what the gently caress is going on when they make My Alibi a requirement to getting in, rather than a hassle to get the disarm combo.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 23, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Anyone with the falling bug, just grab a trainer or something and use the teleportation cheat. Saved my playthrough from being completely wasted.

That shouldn't be the solution to the loving problem.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

All this talk about convicts who have murdered plenty of times using foul mouthed language make me sick to my stomach. How can I be batman or catwoman, who is a woman by the way, with this knowledge?

How am I supposed to break their loving bones and put them in a hospital so they can recover for months in misery and some attempt to think about what they've done, or possibly get murdered while in the hospital and defenseless by some newblood for failing the task his supervillain gave him. It's just obscene.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The point is that overusing curses doesn't make good or comfortable dialogue.

QED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKUSSFzRZGY

That'd be a pretty good example for maybe Yaiba or Bulletstorm, who rely on foul language for humor, and also M rated games, but Arkham?

I can count the times I heard bitch in the arkham games with one hand and the catcalls directed at catwoman are understandable considering you are in a desolate hellhole full of murderous convicts who haven't seen the sight of an actual woman in years to decades.

I just don't see the big deal here.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Phylodox posted:

There's just always someone who pops up with "But they're badguys!" and "But it doesn't bother me!" isn't there? If you're not part of a demographic that has to regularly deal with gendered insults or the very real threat of sexual violence then that's great for you, but that doesn't make the perpetuation of that kind of culture okay.

And before anyone says anything, yes, murder and assault are terrible things that happen to people in real life, but there isn't an entire culture dedicated to delegitimizing those crimes and shaming the victims.

Are we talking about the character who is a master burglar, and does wisecracks everytime she's in any situation at all, no matter how dangerous it is, and succeeds, either through her own will, or with the help of batman?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man you guys are hatin' all over Origins. I never expected that response after I played it. Unless you're really into nitpicking things you will enjoy Origins. I don't care if I don't get Disarm and Destroy at whatever time, I'm reading you guys complain about it and I don't even remember it being an issue that I noticed. Guys with guns can be dealt with in other ways than "Press button to deal with gun guys"

It's not just that, It's that the room right next to the dude you get the Disarm & Destroy combo, has a chance of completely loving up your save by having everything disappear, turning everything into a black void.

Or that time in the underground sewers in the GCPD where i somehow phased into a wall after using a ladder.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

It's definitely worth 7.50$. It wasn't worth the full price of 50$.

Even though I think it is the worst of the trilogy, I did put the most amount of hours into it because I like the challenge map 100 to 1.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

i get swirleys even at work. I am a pathetic example of a pacifist human being, therefore i get a massive erection whenever batman performs a judo throw with an immediate elbow dislocation to a random murderous goon.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

It would sure be bullshit if they treated the red hood like the Knightfall pack and Joker challenge pack.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Playing Arkham City again and ran into Jack Ryder hiding by the sewers early on. He mentions seeing Bruce Wayne and some stuff, and then if you talk to him again he just blurts out "No way is that Vale bitch taking over my show!"

Straight up LOL. Even Jack Ryder was calling bitches "bitch" up in this bitch.

Oh poo poo, better write a huge article on why calling someone a bitch is wrong in a fictional setting where the main focus is a man who dresses up as a bat to fight criminals.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Batman gathers information to take down criminals by skulking around and listening. I figured people would maybe act on this, and listen to the sometimes helpful or funny conversations thugs are having just before you break very important and useful bones in their bodies.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Just counter at the right time for Deathstroke, do it too soon and you get hit. It was just as easy on new game plus because when he slows down in the animation, that's when you counter. When he uses the claw on an explosive barrel, you counter as if a henchmen is throwing one at you.

It's really that simple. It's the presentation of it why people like the fight because it feels like frantic.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

I still want to see the regular combat for this game. It's the reason i keep going back to combat challenges in the arkham games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Zsinjeh posted:

Mastering the combat in Arkham City is the best feeling you can have in videogames. Jumping into a group of thugs, several of them armed with guns, and not breaking a sweat is Batman as gently caress. Especially rewarding that it's more or less completely based on your personal skill. Once you get good at it and quickly plan on your feet you shouldn't take any damage at all and keep a combo going indefinitely.

I agree, that's what made me come back to it. At some point doing the challenges it taught me that If I have enough time, I can sneak in all the gadgets they gave me instead of just strongarming everything. Eventually, with enough time you get the hang of it and kinda start getting creative and preplan your attacks to lure thugs into your foam mines and poo poo.

Instead of throwing the fire extinguisher back at the thug who threw it...Why not throw a batarang while he has it on his hands, and then do a loving dragon kick? How rocksteady has made this so seamless is the major reason why i keep coming back to it. It doesn't look like some Smackdown Wrestling game where all the animations are jerky and unrealistic.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

I didn't like having to earn the disarm combo late into the game, in a room that could bug out and ruin your progress, forcing you to start all over again.

Also the concussion grenades suck rear end because they force criminal punks to punch faster while blinded, which hampers my close quarters bonebreaking tactics. ALSO you might miss or knockout the dude before it detonates, making you lose your combo streak on detonation.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Origns is a very good game

for me to poop on!!! lol

But seriously, leave it to the professionals. Origins aesthetically to me feels like a cash-in to the Christopher Nolan films, and the game itself to me feels like a years too late cash-in because 1): Deathstroke, as an addon you pay for has a good chunk of Robin's playstyle, so it's like you're paying for the same poo poo again and 2): The past arkham games suggest it's based on a grittier version of the cartoons, so Origins feels so different, yet the same from City just because they used the same assets.

So basically to me it looks like something resembling the films to hide their incompetence of them trying to make a game that matches the brilliance of the past two arkham games.

Yes I'm sucking Arkham dick with no pay, what of it?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 5, 2015

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

The Joe Man posted:

Calling it now:

However, Arkham Knight is actually just a robot.

It's probably Ra's A Ghul again.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

It's like I have to go to gamestop to get the new content. I loving hate going to gamestop.

Alright, i'm going to gamestop.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Those animations don't look very fluid, unlike the rest of the arkham games except Origins.

It just looks weird. I'm still gonna buy this game though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

Yes, fight them all by yourself! Is that a Knife in your lungs? nevermind that poo poo! BE FEARRRED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 18, 2011

Pet me.

I'm worried that Red Hood will just have a loving retractable stick just like robin, and his batarang attack is actually replaced by Joker's quick Gunshot. So basically almost like Origin's Deathstroke, except lazier.

I'm worried Rocksteady will pull a Montreal on this one, that's how worried i am about putting down 60 bucks for this poo poo.

• Locked thread