Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Have they shown any in-depth or relatively raw footage of the weird multiplayer they're shoving into this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

redbackground posted:

Because I'm a dumb dummy--how does this work with just buying the game off Steam?

In-game you have the option to log in with a Warner Brothers ID, which is the system they use for Gotham Imposters, Infinite Crisis and a couple other things. Steam or not, doesn't matter.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watched some videos of the beta, fairly disappointing stuff. I love asymmetric multiplayer and if stealth is involved it's basically my favorite kind of multiplayer in existence, so that's a real shame. I think a better option would have been 7v1 thugs vs Batman in more claustrophobic environs, or something of that nature.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I think multiplayer could win everyone over if you can troll other players the way you can troll computer enemies in Predator maps: Down one of the guys and have everyone inspect to find explosive gel detonating in their faces.

There doesn't appear to be a gangster revive mechanic or Batman could just trap every downed guy with explosive boomerangs. A truly wasted opportunity.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

You know. I think Origins will be out tomorrow on Steam.

Google Now is claiming that it'll be out tomorrow...

What? That's kind of a crazy jump.

Orv
May 4, 2011

seal it with a kiss posted:

It's going to come out on Friday. The most recent TV spot had the worldwide launch on the 25th. Plus if it is a stinker, they're not going to release it on one platform early. No official confirmation, but some guy on NeoGAF says the review embargo is up on the 25th too.

Amusingly it's been pushed back to the 29th in several formats in Europe/UK.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Retail and digital release parity is a dark and arcane mire of bullshit, but it is usually Tuesday US, Thursday or Friday UK/Europe.

Orv
May 4, 2011

16.2 gigabats.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just incredibly glad that the animated series skins are returning (even if animated robin looks a bit chunky), because that means I get to play as fun and visible versions of the characters. I love the Arkham games but the art direction is just a mess of pock-marks, dust and muted colors.

I love playing City as the animated Batman because it's just completely incongruous with the rest of the game. "I can't hear you over your chin Master Wayne!"

Orv
May 4, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Another reason why I think Silver Age would be fun for Rocksteady's next Batman game is it would give them a chance to try something new with their art direction. Three games with this very gritty style is likely more than enough.

What are you guys expecting in terms of reviews for this game? I'm guess in the 7-8/10 range. The game really doesn't seem like it's add or changing much to Arkham City (with itself was a massive improvement on Asylum). I think it'll probably have the best soundtrack of the series (Christopher Drake), but I'm really hoping it gives us some compelling character arcs. The prior two games are basically "Batman solves a fuckton of problems." They've got a good opportunity here to give us a good character-driven story, and I'm hoping they don't blow it.

I don't know in terms of solid numbers, but I'm expecting it to get panned for the multiplayer which I will guiltily enjoy until it dies. I have a problem, help me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doesn't Scarecrow also use the "What are you?!" line in Begins?

E: Not Scarecrow. Someone uses it somewhere in the trilogy but I can't remember.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 23, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

raditts posted:

A random punk says it in Batman '89, you might be thinking of that.

It's so hard to keep track anymore. Maybe I'm Batman.

Actually that makes me think that what I want to see Rocksteady do is make a Batman game exploring the idea that he's just as crazy as the villains. That he needs to go out at night and punch people just as much as they do.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

...Michael Ironside is a pacifist.

Is that why he's not voicing Sam anymore? :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't even know how his filmography is even possible. Like how do you go from Beetlejuice and Batman '89 to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland.

Maybe he has the gene that allows him to do more substance abuse than normal people and keep on trucking and it's just all been LSD every day from '89.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My Origins preload just downloaded an inexplicable number of bytes, but download them it did. The world may never know.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrNutt posted:

19 gigabats. Though that's the GOTY version so depending on the Origins DLC that comes out it could easily top 20. I don't know how big vanilla AC was.

My non-GOTY City install says 17 and for whatever reason I remember Harley is about 2, so 15, give or take a few MB.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Iacen posted:

I'll wait to hear if after playing the game, but I did listen to the Joker's theme. I hadn't expected Carol of the Bell could be threatning.

Say what. Well now I am interested in the soundtrack. Not that I am not under normal circumstances but few games have good enough soundtracks to stand alone.

E: Alright that's pretty awesome. Carol of the Bells is one of my favorite pieces of music ever so it's always cool to hear good takes on it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 24, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
I didn't think it would be possible to make these games have even tighter combat, but here we are. This is great so far.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So multiplayer is okay. Nothing special, but not atrociously bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Psygnosis posted:

Multiplayer is really interesting but there is only one game mode so far and 4 maps. I wonder if it will ever be expanded upon. Also there isn't anyway of communicating with your teammates is there? It seems really strange for a team based game not to have any way shape or form of coordinating.

There is an icon in the lobby for what I assume is VOIP, but there is no VOIP. :iiam:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

They hadn't even done anything illegal until Batman came along. And they were freezing and starving to death, I felt bad fighting them.

Then... why were they in jail?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

You two guys really confuse me. Are you the same person?

Dr. Video Games 0029's gimmick is to make long, unfunny posts poorly satirizing any posts he disagrees with. Dunno what the other guy is about.

So yeah, multiplayer is pretty fun. Finally got a heroes win, came down to the wire and was really awesome.

Orv
May 4, 2011

paint dry posted:

I still don't see what's wrong with my post.

No no, I just meant in response two "are you the same people", your post is perfectly fine. Wanting a sequel to have significant mechanical variation or adaption for full price is perfectly reasonable.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

Are they the same guy? Is there some joke reason why they have the same name save for 2 digits? Is Doctor Video Games "insert number" some meme or something that I've just missed out on?

Name buying orgy some time back in a certain thread/subforum, I forget the exact details. They are different people and there used to be way more than the four or five still rolling around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AllLuckySevens posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with Arkham credits online? Nearly every time I finish a match, the credits I earn aren't saved. Or maybe I'm just not grasping how credit earning works?

Online persistence is an utter crapshoot right now. In the specific case of credits I don't think the system is in place for crates/credits yet so nothing happens there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's not that, you can view your costume collection in the Batcave at any time and also use costumes in Challenge Mode before beating the game. They don't appear in SP at all.

The costumes are usable from the beginning with NG+ mode.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So this happened.

Couldn't do anything but melee and most people shifted in and out of invisibility. Was interesting. Robin is standing on the wall just to my right beating the poo poo out of a joker elite that is across the room.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:stare: There's a thread on the official forums accusing the devs of being racist for hardcoding for a QWERTY keyboard.

Apparently there's a potential fix for losing your MP progress, which is to only do Online through the SP menu, instead of launching it on its own. :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Patch just went through that fixes progression loss for MP, fixes gaining Arkham coins and reduces the ridiculous lengths of round countdowns.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

No singleplayer patch yet?

I've been pretty fortunate because my PC run-through has been really bug-free and stable, besides the Burnley tower bug.

Different teams working on different ends of the game, Splash Damage had less to fix mechanically so they got theirs out first.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think the most amazing thing I've learned from the Batman threads is that there are a significant number of you playing this on PC without a gamepad. :psyduck:

If you prefer it, or don't want to buy a Gamepad/360 controller, hey, that's fine, do what you want, I'm not saying one is better than the other...I'm just saying I can't imagine myself doing that (and I say this as someone who prefers KB+M for lots of games, just not a third-person beat 'em up.) Seems impossible!

I tried to play Asylum with a gamepad when I went back to play it a third time before this came out and I couldn't even finish the pre-free roam section, it was crazy to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is sort of off sort of on topic; A couple people, maybe just one, mentioned Under The Red Hood as a really good Batman movie, and it absolutely is. The question now is are there more treatments in that style of DC stuff? I keep hearing the Superman stuff from a couple years ago was excellent but... Superman.

Orv
May 4, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

Have you watched Batman: Year One? It's excellent.

Just about finished with it, and it is. Other than those on Netflix is Doom, if you have any opinions on that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Doom as in Justice League Doom? If so it's a pretty decent watch.

It is, yeah. Didn't see the Justice League emboss on the batarang because thumbnails. :downs:

E: Oh christ it opens with the Royal Flush gang, this should be something.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 10, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Speaking of Under The Red Hood (what, did the goon hivemind just decide to watch this weekend or something?), what's the opinion in DiMaggio's Joker?

Low-rent Hamill impersonation at best.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Commissar Ken posted:

That doesn't seem real at all but on the off chance it is I MUST read it.

Unfortunately it's a fake. The real B&TB issue 111 is Baman and The Joker.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Well poo poo, then why is my save on 99% :shepface:

May very well be a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

THE CHORSE posted:

In this game? I dunno...

Horrifying to consider, I know.