Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I honestly thought they stopped when John Dimaggio took a crack at it. He was a great joker and it wasn't at all like Mark Hammil. More of a mix of TDK Joker more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I caved in. I just need more batman. I mean with the GMG voucher and a few gmg credits, I got this for 33 bucks. The fact that it's positive goon views right now is pretty good.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I put this game on hard mode and I really like how Batman starts off slow. His counters are not as fast, and it takes a bit more longer to get into free flow. I mean once you get into free flow it's a bit easier but yeah this game really loves throw huge number of mobs on your rear end. Granted it took some time getting used to because I died at least 5 times to the first boss because it took a bit to realize that while the combat feels the same, Batman's response isn't as quick like the other games. (I mean obvious intentional design)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And I just ran into the bug. How the hell this got through QA? I notice that batman's hands are clipping when he holds onto the vent. I'm noticing certain animations get stuck if there is something in the way.

I almost couldn't finish a fight because of the goons got stuck behind the chair and wall.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

So how big is this game compared to Far Cry 3? And besides the radio towers, are their "fortresses" or some kind or another to take over and then they stay yours? That's the kind of poo poo I love in games.

Uh since when has Batman games ever did that?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

They never had radio towers to hack either, and that's apparently a feature all games made in Montreal have. Another such feature is forts to stealthily kill everyone in and then they're yours, so I wondered if that was here too.

Yeah no territories to conquer in this game. The Radio Towers are basically because of a certain villain.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So finally beat the game. I enjoyed the story, it was nice to see Batman still a bit green and it shows. Also the story didn't feel over the place for once. As for the combat, yeah I really have to get used to not being able to interrupt my animations when I counter.

As for the impact counters, I seem to get them more when I have freeflow x12 and I notice the counter gives me x2, granted the animation isn't that different.

While the game felt the same, I thought it shined with the boss fights. Alot of them were fun and challenging and it didn't just felt very rehashed.

Well ok maybe one felt just a re-skinned fight.

spoiler regarding the rehash fight. Deadshot's fight really was basically Two Face v.s. Catwoman in AC. Granted he did have a drat laser which was nice considering as soon as you knock out a goon, get the gently caress moving or Deadshot notices immediately. Kinda nice of the devs for the fight to finish immediately once you save the hostage from deadshot. It was pretty hilarious because there were at least 3 goons, and they were like gently caress it he took down deadshot, let's run!

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 26, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

DrNutt posted:

Whew, thanks for keeping us posted.

Somebody mentioned the Shiva encounter earlier. If I'm already past the bank encounter with Joker, is there still a way to trigger it?

Yes there should be a way to trigger it. Story spoiler for how to do so.

Go back to the bank and go outside of the entrance, and keep walking forward, you should hear a baby cry. You should see a baby carriage once you find the source of the sound. Walk up to it and press A and it should trigger it. I am surprised you didn't trigger it, what did you do, did you just like not hear the cry and just went the other way to the story?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It pretty much is PC related. It gets in the way of certain boss fights which causes my death and it is a bit frustrating.

Spoiler for a boss fight

Especially Bane. Goddamn did the camera piss me off. YES LET'S make him charge you automatically. WHAT'S that? Hugging a wall? Camera is going to gently caress with you and you can't see the angle of the hit. BULLSHIT

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rookersh posted:

Anybody mind telling me what Batman says at the end of the Lady Shiva fight?

e: Like I got most of it he told Alfred to tell the GCPD about the bodies, one alive, one dead. Alfred said something about him being ok, Bats said the night isn't whatever, and I accidentally cut him off at that point by hitting the B button. Was trying to clear the flashing combo meter on the screen, but it also dropped the call. I was also in the midst of getting bombarded by popups/upgrade/level up/achievement notifications. Just want to make sure it ends on "We've got a hell of a lot more night Alfred" rather then "We have a hell of a lot more night Alfred, oh and also here is plot relevant stuff."

Well nothing really relevant.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was about to say, how the hell did you manage some of the batrang puzzles. Goddamn. :stare:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ShimSham posted:

The success of the system in GTA:V has made me start thinking about the applications in other games, but character switching. We see some of it in AC with Catwoman but it wasn't exactly seamless and it wasn't essential to the game.

If they made one of these games with the ability to switch between various Bat characters (Robin, Nightwing, et cetera) and actually made it a major part of the game I think they'd open the doors for a very fresh experience without leaving behind the success they've built.

Also they should use Damian Robin because.

DC probably wouldn't allow that though.

While Harley's Revenge only gave us a little glimpse, it was nice to play as a Robin because he wasn't just a reskin Batman. It would be so cool if the next game lets you either play as Batman or Robin.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Narcissus1916 posted:

I gave up on the Deathstroke achievement because he kept on landing an uncounterable move in his last stage. Its the one that ends with a kick straight to Batman's chest - and there's no counter prompt or anything.

Still a good fight, despite the niggles.

But man oh man, I threw in City again for the first time in a year or so. And there are STILL things that I've never seen in that game before! I had no idea that Hush was in the church, among other things.

If it's that one counter where you had to do three counters, after the third counter when you are holding his sword, you press X or whatever the equivalent of the strike button is.

Again the game doesn't tell you but yeah after the third counter, punch so the headbutt animation plays so he doesn't kick you.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
From what it looks like, if the enemy shoots the batrang and you take him down, it doesn't count. The only thing I can think of is, if there is another gargoyle near the enemies path and get him while he's going for the sonic batrang.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
For the Enigma goons it works differently in this game compared to AC. Even if he is the last person alive, you have to beat the hell out of him until he decides to submit into interrogation.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Honestly from what it feels, you have less of a window to counter moves very quickly. I will admit I have to get used that your special take down doesn't always aim for nearest enemy, even if they are dazed on the ground. Sometimes it just misses.

I hate when it does that. Breaks the drat flow. And before you ask, AA and AC had no trouble time letting me aim my special combo at enemies who were dazed on the floor.

Honestly I think making the world bigger hurt the combat a bit because sometimes goons come out of where the camera is not covering. And you have to manually turn the camera to see everything. Kinda makes the combat wonky when you have enemies spread all over and sometimes the game decides NOPE nobody there so I'll make you swing and miss instead.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well at least the 4th game won't have him. Surely right? Because honestly enough already. Story spoiler

As soon as his named popped up on that murder scene, it was like watch him be behind it all. And sure enough he was. It was like this again really? Come on I really wanted to see Black Mask do something but then he was basically thrown as a wanted criminal mission that wasn't that great either. Such wasted potential. I did like the whole Joker in blackgate writing, that was pretty cool and was nice how they thought their own way of how he got Harely on his side. Still Troy Baker did a really good job and not sound like Mark Hammil. This joker felt more like Jackson's joker more than the TAS one.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

RatHat posted:

I'm gonna play through Arkham Asylum again, could someone remind me what stuff City added/improved on that wasn't in Asylum? I think countering multiple enemies might be one? The Grapnel accelerator too obviously but Arkham Asylum doesn't really need it.

Multiple counters, the bat stun beatdown, slamming enemies into the ground while doing a silent take down. You can't glide around as much so predator rooms are much harder. Grate takedowns aren't in (or I haven't unlocked them) On the other hand you can unlock the unblockable grab special move which helps with crowd control. That and it's hilarious seeing Batman grabbing a thug and hurling him to another opponent.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kilson posted:

Well, I think my game got hosed somehow. During the Deadshot fight, after I cleared the first wave of guys and knocked him down a few times, he just vanished. Maybe he fell through the map or something? But his life bar is still there, and I can't complete the encounter. What do I do? :(

Did you check the ground floor? He does change floors after a few beatdowns.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

MantisToboggan posted:

I'm wondering who they could use as a main villain in the sequel(s). It's kind of tough because even though Batman has arguably the best rogues gallery a lot of them aren't exactly masterminds that can carry the plot of an entire game. Ra's is a good antagonist but he's kind of everywhere at the moment. I think it might be cool to see newer villains like the Court of Owls or Dr. Hurt. Mysterious frankie is probably right though.

We either got Scarecrow or Hush. Both left pretty cool cliffhangers. I will admit I sort of want Hush considering how much of a threat he can to attack Batman personally considering he's actually targeting Bruce Wayne so at least that would feel that the game would go out of Arkham Island for once. The one thing I liked about AA is how they introduced enemies that people weren't familiar with and gave you a little bio and introduction to what they do. I thought that would be a stepping point in introducing more obscure characters in the game.

I mean yeah technically we did get introduced to FireFly in this game but there is still more they can do.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No the Tower is fixed. That was one of the first patches from them. Unless in yours it's still hosed

edit: Are you making sure that getting all updates is ticked in properties?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Expect if you notice that when the fight slows down during the animation, that's the way game of saying COUNTER here.

Also yeah Batman's quote is from comics. In fact in Arkham Asylum: A serious house on Earth, he says it. Not directly but it's pretty much the same thing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Doom as in Justice League Doom? If so it's a pretty decent watch.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That would be fine by me, Batman can take a break. Besides I wouldn't want Arkham be basically a COD franchise.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Try Black Mask's side mission at the church. (after blowing up the all six tanks) I"m not sure if that will count but when I got to the last predator challenges I use that room for the five take downs and it worked.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

washow posted:

Is it weird if I spend 30 minutes bonking a goon with a batarang trying to kill him and send him flying in funny ways?

I tend to do it all the time. Hell I did that in AA. The enemy "splashed" into the water and was totally fine. Sure.

I knew what batman really did. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You would think after seeing the riddler challenges in the other arkham games, this team would get the idea of not locking challenges until they are completed. Stupidest loving game design decision ever made. Hell any physical challenge in city could be done anytime. The fact that the challenges are tied to story and predator rooms are empty once done is really also loving stupid.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not really. I mean Orgins plays exactly like City. City just feels a bit more polished. Origins just plays it safe and doesn't really introduce anything new.

Except the remote batclaw which is pretty cool.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Beeez posted:

The Burton movies are pretty stupid too, to be honest.

You shut the hell up. Michael Keaton was a great batman. :colbert:

Batman returns though? I'll give you that one. Even if it had a pretty crazy Catwoman.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

more friedman units posted:

Really? I guess I let the Nolan interpretation influence me. Not even pretending to be drunk as part of his billionaire playboy act?

In Batman year one he puts up the whole I am the smuggest douchebag billionaire act and treats Alfred like crap. Of course Gordon didn't even buy it one bit but he didn't bother him about it. The one thing that is consistent I've seen is Bruce pretending to drink. In TDK (Frank Miller) Gordon recollects Bruce pretending to drink whiskey when it was actually apple cider.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Crackbone posted:

Disregarding the bugs, after playing through most of Origins, my impression is Arkham City, but more annoying. I can't really place my finger on it but the design seems sloppier.

I have a feeling it's mostly the grapple zooming. It feels very sloppy on what you can't and can boost. It gets annoying really quickly.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Sweet jesus that looks good. At first I thought it looked a bit like concept but nope those are screens.

Well a few of them.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 5, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Sweet Jesus I might be buying a PS4 earlier that I expected to just to play this game, it sounds loving awesome.

Hope Rocksteady manages to include Jason this time, he would fit as a glove on the game setting.

Jason sucks. :colbert: I'm pretty sure it was Tim Drake Robin last time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He was created for a game that ended up sucking and well yeah what he just said.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So you basically want Batman GTA.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Technically he killed Grundy! :v:

I dunno maybe I enjoyed how this game tip toes on him not killing people but doesn't mind him basically making criminals not being able to walk again or leave them in really bad shape that they would rather be killed.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 9, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

blackguy32 posted:

I want them to bring back Aaron Cash. I liked his character in Asylum. I was hoping that they would finish his arc with him getting over his fear of Croc.

loving hell I was wishing we would see Cash in Orgins with Croc being around.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Excels posted:

I'm pretty sure it will be Jason, since Batman already had Red Hood on his radar in Origins.

Pretty sure Orgins has nothing to do with it at all. You know when they said the finale to a triology. Pretty sure that's way of Rocksteady's way of saying oh Orgins?

That doesnt' count.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Beat'd but yeah. Red hood was Joker's orginal title before Jason Todd took it. Hell even in the cartoon movie under the red hood, joker points out how he reminsces that he used to be called that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No Jason Todd. Bad enough City has a horrible story. Him in it would just make it worse.

edit: Not a fresh new character hasn't bitten people making a Batman game in the rear end before. :v:

• Locked thread