Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

MrJacobs posted:

I cannot recommend Sleeping Dogs enough if you like Arkham combat (not as polished, but it actually is more brutal than the freeflow combat of the arkham series) and GTA style open world gameplay. Breaking peoples legs and arms causes all other enemies nearby to wince and recoil in horror at what they just saw your character do to that poor, poor, man.

You can also throw dudes in the trunk of your car and drive into the ocean, or just throw them into an ice chipper.

edit: seriously Sleeping Dogs kicks rear end. Get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Multiplayer sounds like a fun idea, it just seems like the people who play the generic thugs are going to be pissed when everyone else gets to be Batman or the Joker.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest concern I have is that they appear to be keeping the mechanics from the single player version which are designed around 'stupid' AI opponents who won't act like human players will. The thing I'm most worried about, honestly, is the takedown animations. They serve a purpose in a game with AI characters who respond in a sensible way. In a multiplayer game, all it takes is a guy shouting over voicechat that he's being choked and Batman gets riddled with holes in the middle of his lengthy animation. This obviously only works if people are sticking closer together but since they're not 'dumb' AI opponents it seems like that would be the most sensible thing to do, even with the multi-hit gadgets at play.

Hopefully they'll let you do the takedown smash (the takedown where you can cancel your silent takedown into a much quicker and much louder takedown) in multiplayer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

El Tortuga posted:

Getting the achievements in AA/AC was awesome but fuuuuuuuck the Catwoman challenge rooms. I had never been so legitimately mad a video game before.

It's been 2 years, and I still can't get 3 medals on Top of the World Extreme with Catwoman...

Riddler trophies ruled, I hope they find some interesting puzzles to use with the new gadgets.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

I don't really care if Deathstroke keeps the same animations as Robin, as long as he still has the Throw move, since that's the best move in the game. If he doesn't, well then gently caress you Eric Holmes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

MeatwadIsGod posted:

While we're talking pipe dreams, I'd really love a game with Rocksteady's combat and a detective system similar to LA Noire where there are multiple clues at a crime scene and they're not all necessarily relevant. Interrogations like LA Noire would probably suit the Batman world nicely, too.

Truth: Batman thanks the thug for his cooperation, smashes his head against the wall and knocks him out.
Doubt: Batman smashes his head against the wall and asks him again.
Lie: Batman shows him evidence he's lying, smashes his head against the wall and asks again.

A better detective game than L.A. Noire was, that's for sure.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Trickjaw posted:

Not a sign of the Joker. This could go either way. He's not one of the assasins, but we know he is there. He has got to be there for something

They even got Troy Baker, a big name voice actor, to voice him, so they wouldn't just throw away all that money to have the Joker show up for 5 minutes then disappear.

edit: ^ Holy poo poo that is insane and I genuinely hope that is what happens.

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 23, 2013

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

One thing I never understood about the pre-release material is that the developers kept saying "Batman must find Black Mask and find out why he is hiring assassins to kill him". But it seems fairly obvious why, Batman's been loving with Black Masks' business and he wants him taken out. I never got why the developers always emphasized that question.

But with that spoiler from before being true, I guess that was just the dev's way of hinting at that. A shame the crazy time travel conspiracy spoiler wasn't true, that would have been awesome.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Zsinjeh posted:

Question for guys further along then first meeting martial arts thugs, am I not supposed to have unlocked critical strike yet? Is there anything I can do to unlock them quicker, or is it solely main quest related? I didn't realize before how much of a crutch they are to me and I need to get them back.

Side question, is the fast-travel supposed to be disabled around the time [20% story completed spoiler ->]after completing GCPD and entering the sewers?. Nothing happened when I tried to go to the Batcave and I don't recall having a prompt that it's disabled. For reference I've tried in areas where Riddlers towers have been disabled.

For question 1, Critical Strike is unlocked from a sidequest later on in the game.
Question 2, sometimes a thug will see you and want to fight even if you're far away from him. This makes the game think you're in combat and disables fast Travel. I dunno how to fix this other than maybe restarting from a checkpoint or fighting every single thug in the city until you can fast travel again.

Speaking of which, I like this game, but it definitely doesn't feel as polished as City did. I've run into several glitches where enemy AI bugs out and they just stand there. (Including Deathstroke) I've had thugs spawn right in front of me on empty rooftops. I did a Dark Knight challenge where you beat a Predator Encounter without using Detective Mode but after I knocked everyone out it didn't register for me, and I cannot seem to do a Hanging Ledge Takedown no matter what I try. The camera's a drat shame too, I can't even count the number of times I got hit by a thug because the camera decided to stick inside a wall.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

raditts posted:

Does it give you the prompt? I got the prompt for a silent ledge takedown in front of the steel mill and when I pushed it Batman did nothing and it disabled all my attack buttons so I couldn't do anything but walk around until I fast traveled to somewhere else.

Nope, I tried the challenge in The Sionis Steel Mill where you have to take out all the thugs then talk to Black Mask. There was this one thug that was patrolling in and out of this one room, so I stood above the ledge waiting for him and the prompt never showed up. I can't ever seem to get it, either because there are no ledges that meet the requirements or because the room layout makes it impossible to get the other takedowns for the challenge.

Does anyone know if the Predator rooms respawn with enemies after you go through them once? Because at this rate there's no way in hell I'm getting that Sonic Shock Batarang.

fake edit: ^^ You need a future upgrade for that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

Anarky chat

If you stick around after you beat Anarky he'll start rambling about how he doesn't see people like Penguin or Sionis as the problem, just the byproduct of our society. I mean, he's kinda right, but you'd think putting that energy into going after them would do some good in the city instead of just going "yeah those murderous thugs are no big deal, it's Bruce Wayne that's the real problem!" He also goes from "Let me join forces with you Batman!" to "gently caress you Batman you're an rear end in a top hat" in the span of about 10 seconds so he's not all that right in the head.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Slim Killington posted:

There was a gadget that made that one easier? I just beat up on everything until I was through it all.

Yeah the boss fights here are either hit or miss. The Deathstroke and Copperhead fights are tops, hands down. The Deathstroke fight is the best part of the game, it's really a shame it comes and goes so early. Then you have boss fights that are just tedious combat (Shiva), non-issue boss fights with are either funny (Electrocutioner) or disappointing (Deadshot, seriously, it's just a normal bad guy room and you trounce him on repeat until he's done, what a letdown), or boss fights that are complete annoying and often-cheap bullshit (Bane parts 2, 3, and some of part 4).

I found it incredibly disappointing that Lady Shiva has the exact same animations as the Martial Artist thugs and Ninjas. It seems all the effort that went into making her one of the assassins was that video intro at the start of the game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Oh Alfred, I love you.

Alfred:You know sir, when one finds himself on the opposite side of the law, a reassessment is in order.
Batman:You're right, someone needs to clean up the corruption in the GCPD!
Alfred:That's... not what I meant.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Rookersh posted:

Man, gently caress all the reviews, that Joker/Bat/Harley falling for each other scene was loving great. That is exactly how that origin scene should have been done in video game form.

e: I am never going to get the Worst Nightmare path finished. Or the Shadow Vigilante one either to be honest, the r15 challenge seems daunting.

I got the Rank 15 Shadow Vigilante Challenge completely by accident, it might be bugged since I didn't even have the Disarm and Destroy Takedown move yet. Unless attacks with the Shock Gloves count as different variations or something.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

I'm getting close to the end now and goddamn there are snipers and gunmen everywhere. It feels like I'm in a fight for my life just getting from A to B, I just want to destroy the Network Relays dammit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Red Mundus posted:

I'm pretty sure critical counters are bugged. I've waited until the last second to counter and it still doesn't do anything.

It's not really consistent, I've noticed sometimes it will work properly and sometimes I hit the counter button as soon as the indicators appear above a thug's head and I'll get a critical counter. I guess another thing to note is that critical counters won't appear until Batman is actually in Freeform Combat mode, so you can't get a Critical Counter just by standing around and waiting for a guy to attack you.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

VogeGandire posted:

Also, one of the data packs in Diamond District requires the fully-upgraded Disruptor. You need to disrupt 3 jammers, which you can't do until it's fully upgraded. So now I need to grind up FIVE levels.

Edit: OH YOU CLEVER loving GAME. You can ALSO unlock it using the cryptograhpic sequencer if you've upgraded it's range, by standing far enough away from the jammers.

Or you can just do what I did and wait a minute or two for the Disruptor to recharge, the jammers don't come back online if you don't disable them all at once.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

GuyCastle posted:

Unless you're talking about another challenge, the hanging ledge takedown is one where you have to hang below whoever you want to take out, not the other way around.

Nope, the one where you're below a guy is a Ledge Takedown. A Hanging Ledge Takedown is one where you're above the guy you want to get, and I still have no loving clue how to trigger it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

I like the grading system they added for the fights and stealth rooms, but I wish they had replaced the Unseen bonus with the Intimidation bonus from Arkham City. I love walking up to the last terrified guy in the room and letting him look at me before I beat him down, but I don't want to lose out on that sweet XP.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Beat the game earlier, a few thoughts.

1. My heart was pounding so hard during the Mega Bane encounter. I was pretty drat terrified of him, and getting spotted really made me freak the gently caress out. It got even worse because my game started glitching and Bane literally started teleporting from grate to grate reaching for me. But then I actually got caught by him and noticed that Batman getting the poo poo knocked out of him and slammed against a wall only took out about an eighth of my health on Normal, so that kinda threw all the tension out of the window. I also couldn't disable the jammer for some reason, don't know if that was intentional or not.

2. That Fist of the North Star-style beatdown against the Joker was amazing and really makes me wish Platinum Games made the next Arkham game.

3. Suicide Squad game sounds awesome, although I wish they would have used fat Amanda Waller instead, my childhood basically revolved around Justice League Unlimited.

All in all, totally worth the $30 I paid for it. I'll probably check out multiplayer for a bit, then get on New Game Plus and the Challenge Campaigns. Dunno if I'll try I Am the Night mode though, I died more times in the Bane fights than I'd care to admit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

The way I saw it, through all the character development that takes place throughout the game, Batman is still an angry, bitter young man who has a lot more anger issues to work out before he becomes cool, calm and collected Batman. The little flashbacks during the Beatdown sequence was Bruce's way of dealing with the anger from the realization that he'll probably be dealing with the Joker for a long, long time.

fake edit:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

AngryBooch posted:

Man I'm so much better at combat now with critical strikes and disarm and destroy. D&D especially became my go to move in City. I still can't quite get the timing down on knife takedowns. Is there a challenge that is just a dozen guys with knives where I can practice?

I can't think of any area in Origins, but if you have City and the Robin DLC the Wayne Manor Armory challenge has like 50 guys and knives all over the ground.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Kin posted:

Has anyone else come across a later map that has all of the required features? I'm thinking that when I play new game+ I'll drop the difficulty to easy just so I can get these stupid sequential challenges out of the way.

I've found one, but it's at Blackgate Prison, the very last predator room in the game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Enigma Chat: Also don't forget at the very start of the game Enigma disables all the radio towers as part of his plan, disabling the Batwing and knocking out cell reception for most people in Gotham. Why does he do this? Because gently caress you Batman, that's why. He also murders a man with the Comm Tower deathtrap. Hell, Batman might not have even found out Enigma's plan if he hadn't started gloating to Batman about all the chaos his information's going to cause.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

The Shock Gloves make the game pretty wonky in places. I've had dudes have the little "I've fallen and I can't get up" stars above their heads after hitting them with the Shock Gloves even if they're completely knocked out, making me mistakenly try to Ground Pound them and screwing up my combo. During one of the challenge maps I used the Shock Gloves on the last 2 enemies, they both went down but during the Challenge Complete screen one of the goons got up and tried to attack me, that was weird.

Speaking of Challenge Maps, I'm Rank 13 on the Panopticon Challenge map on PSN. I'm also in the top 50 for the DLC combat maps as well.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man that is stupid. Batman should be ripped apart fighting Shiva hand to hand unless she is testing him. (Like this game)

To be fair, she's being controlled by Grodd in that scene, so it makes sense that she wouldn't be at her best.

I've been running through the Challenges and Campaigns (another little gripe I have with this game, you need to beat the Campaigns to unlock the Extreme difficulties of the Challenges, and I'm not a big fan of the Campaigns in City or Origins) and I want to grind through them all before I take on New Game+. Is there a Challenge like in City where you need to use the Sonic Shock Batarang to take down an enemy? Because that's the only upgrade I don't have and I'd prefer to take on all the challenge maps at once.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

The Human Crouton posted:

I've been playing the challenge rooms, and I'm finding that I fight much better in them than in the main game. It seems like Batman can counter in mid attack much easier than in the main game. I went up against a group that contained 2 shields, 2 body armors, and 1 huge guy that needs the triple cape stun to hurt; and I kicked rear end until the camera started bugging out. This combination would destroy me in the actual game. In addition, I saw a double counter that I've never seen in the main game where Batman suplexes one thug into another.

I even tried not using any of the special moves to simulate that it is impossible to get your meter up in the main game since the main game gives you few normal thugs near the end of the game to see if I was just fooling myself, and I still did as well as I used to in AC. I know that combat being different in the challenge rooms would not make sense. Has anybody else experienced this?

It's the same with me. During the story it seems like the enemies get a huge boost, are more aggressive, and do the Gumby Slide with a lot more frequency. I don't know if it's just because I get "in the zone" when doing the challenge rooms, or if the AI legitimately acts different there, but I also seem to be having a much easier time fighting guys in the challenge rooms.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Upgrade Talk: What really sucks about it is that if you look at parts of the upgrade tree you see that they almost get it. Things like the Concussive Detonator upgrade is its own little section of the tree, so they realized that people would want to get other upgrades instead of that one. Which is especially baffling when everything else is mandatory.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can somebody tell me where the hell to do the stupid rank six predator challenge? I just finished the bank in new game plus, not realizing hanging ledge takedown meant hanging from a ledge and doing a take down on an enemy below you, not one on the ledge above you. Is it really possible to screw yourself out of being able to finish the challenges by going too far in the story?

Theoretically no, since you could probably play the game over and over again in I am the Night mode to get your remaining challenges done.

Realistically, yes, because who would honestly go through I Am the Night mode, and die once they've beaten all the Predator rooms to restart until they've beaten all the challenges?

For the Rank 6 challenge, I didn't do it until the final predator room, but you might be able to do it earlier than that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

He knew Penguin was tracking Black Mask with drones.

Speaking of drones, I feel like the devs missed an opportunity to add a new enemy type to the Predator sections. They added new enemies for the combat, but they didn't really do anything to mix up the stealth aside from the Remote Claw and that's just a "Take these 3 guys out for free" button.

They could have added a console to each room with a thug manning a little drone that looks for you in places thugs can't normally see you. You could choose to either destroy it with gadgets (or just knock it around a little to distract it) or take out the operator since he's too busy looking at a screen to pay attention to you.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

I don't mind the shock stick guys since you can counter them, but the shield guys have uncounterable attacks that come out really fast. By the time you see the warning it's too late to dodge.

You can't actually counter the shock stick guys, unless you have the Electric Gloves upgrade, then you can counter both shield and shock sticks so long as it's active.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

It happens more often the more you progress the story. It happens a decent amount of times in Challenge Mode as well.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

redbackground posted:

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is pretty great, and James Woods is PERfectly cast as alternate-earth Batman.

I also enjoyed Superman vs. The Elite. It's got a different art style to it and Superman's chin seems to grow larger and larger every scene, but I enjoyed Robin Atkins Downes as Manchester Black. There's a really great scene where Superman just goes "gently caress it" and doesn't hold his full power back.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Orgophlax posted:

Anyone know why already unlocked fast travel icons are greyed out sometimes, so I can't fast travel?

Aside from the reasons listed above, sometimes the game thinks you're fighting a guy (usually a thug who can't get to you noticing you) even when you're clearly not, disabling fast travel.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Poizen Jam posted:

From a few pages back, but I laughed when I read this. Myself and my roommate had the same chat about arkham city while particularly inebriated a year or so ago. We mused many of the prisoners were probably down on their luck homeless guys and wrongfully imprisoned minorities who got swept up into gang wars in the dog eat dog world of arkham city.

Then origins came along and kind of drove that comparison home. I have moral reservations about batman now.

See I'd agree a lot more with that if 99% of the dudes you see on the streets didn't try to kill you as soon as they spot you.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was pretty much the main villain in Under the Hood. (He also did not hire the Joker there which was smart of him) He was really effective as the main villain of War Games in which he masterminded him becoming the most powerful criminal in Gotham, killed a Robin, destroyed Oracle's Clocktower and nearly beat Batman to death.

He is also pretty physically tough. He managed to best both the Joker and Red Hood before and during the Oracle's Clocktower fight it was very clear to Barbara that Black Mask and Batman were going to kill each other unless the fight was stopped. The dude is utterly fearless for the most part as well having attacked people like the Joker and the Red Hood with no fear of death.

Actually I think Black Mask did hire the Joker in Under the Red Hood. For about 5 seconds, until the Joker locked him in a truck and poured gasoline all over him.

That War Games thing seems kinda dumb, Black Mask is just a fit dude with anger issues. He shouldn't be able to go toe-to-toe with loving Batman of all people.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Fuzz posted:

Honestly, I was really hoping we'd see how Penguin got that bottle jammed over his eye in this game. Hopefully some DLC shows it.

Totally, they explain it in City but it'd be much cooler if they'd actually show Joker breaking off a bottle and stabbing it into Penguin's eye.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How so? All of the bosses were essentially based on enemies already in the game but expanded upon. Deathstroke, for instance, was just a souped up martial artist in terms of concept.

I think he means the Bane fights, since Bane's charge completely ignores any invincibility from dodging, and he can hit you multiple times in a row if you get caught in a corner.

Firefly fight was alright though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

OH NO MAN posted:

Batman looks a lot leaner in the trailer than he did in the previous games. I know that's just CG footage, but I hope he looks like this in the actual game as well. Never was a huge fan of the giant musclehead look, even if it was consistent with the animated series and many of the comics.

I wonder if there's a reason for that leaner look. Batman seemed pretty unhinged at the end of that Arkham City DLC, maybe he's let himself go after what happened to the Joker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

badger badger badger

Illegal Hen

There will be a crossover with Super Meat Boy and the Arkham Knight will be Dr. Fetus.

• Locked thread