Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
One thing I haven't seen mentioned about this game - will it use GFWL or Steamworks? Read somewhere that GFWL is pretty much dead nowadaysso I look forward to getting the game without additional MS DRM bullshit. Gotta wonder what happens with my Steam copies of first two Batman games when Microsoft decide to turn their GFWL servers as they inevitably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Not sure if this was posted but here's an AMA with two Arkham Origins single-player devs: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1olm9z/we_are_eric_holmes_and_ben_mattes_game_devs_of/

Speaking of difficult achievements:

Eric Holmes posted:

Buy Arkham Origins
Insert disk in console (or download on Steam)
Play game. Enjoy.
Finish the story on normal difficulty.
Play some challenge maps. You'll need the skills.
Now finish New Game Plus. MAN UP!
You now have access to I AM THE NIGHT MODE. In this mode you have one life to live! This means you must play through the entire story without dying or you'll get kicked back out to the start of the game.

Conclusion: People with the IATN achievement/trophy are BADASSES.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

willjbish posted:

From everything I've seen it seems more like City.

Yeah, the game will definitely be open-world in vein of City seeing that the area is twice as large in Origins as it was in the previous game (to the point where they introduced fast travel). Check this preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKt7VsmZifQ
Even the UI is reminiscent of that in City.

EDIT: Actually, in the second half of that video you can see that there are some new Batman animations. Hope Deathstroke reskin was really done because they didn't have enough time.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 20, 2013

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ooh, the dev said the Mr. Freeze fight was their favorite boss fight. It was for me too, and honestly the only boss fight in City I remember very clearly. If all the boss fights are like that then I'm sold.

I think the boss fights will be fun in this game, if it's not just PR speak:

Ben Mattes posted:

Our decision to create a premise of assassins coming to town and challenging Batman to undergo this significant evolution was inspired and driven heavily by the Mr. freeze fight. Our entire boss fight design philosophy centres around that idea of the masterclass. For every core encounter that we have in this game, the player is tested on the mastery of some subset of the Arkham mechanic. Each assassin serves effectively as an exam that, by passing, the player is given the confidence to take the lessons learned to apply in the rest world as we layer in more challenging enemy configurations.
Source

Being a big fan of Asylum and City, I'm really trying not to get pumped about this game. Only the Deathstroke reskin and bland, tacked-on multiplayer (judging by the posts earlier in this thread) are holding me back on getting this day one.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I'd expect better multiplayer from the next Rocksteady game. They'll have more time and funds to implement that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

I did a lot of predator things using the environment around me in City, are these sections just closed off in the open world or are they just like that?

Also, does it make you feel like Batman more or less than the previous games?

No, the area is bigger this time around. There are two main big areas connected with a huge bridge. One is a part of a city with very tall buildings, reminiscent of Batman TAS and 1989 movie. The other is the original area from City but changed in few ways. The predator sections are open like in City.

Batman feels a bit slower this time around, his fighting is not as fluid as in Asylum but his moves feel heavier. The gliding is much better than in City though, it is easier to gain speed and height from the divebomb now.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I haven't, not yet. Fighting brutes is way more fun this time around, though.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Bit of a PC report: the game is really heavy on my rig for some reason. My i5 2500K with 6950 was giving me about 15 fps with all the stuff turned on. MSAA in particular is a performance killer, had to turn it off. Maybe its due to my card being ATI-made or maybe there will be dedicated drivers/patch. Then again, it was the same with City. I like the graphics, the shading on the characters looks a bit comic book-like, great effect. There's also lots of smoke and snow all around. The areas are not as masterfully designed as in previous games but the sheer size of the world makes up for that. Gliding is fun when you can't see the edge of the "world".

The game is really fun, but it's more of the same (esp. in case of City). If you're a fan like me - you'll be glad you got it. The area is really large, there's tons of stuff to do. The guy voicing Batman is doing a very good job imitating Conroy, there are lots of references to comics/movies/previous games. As I mentioned, fighting feels different due to the changed tempo.

One thing I don't like is the ability unlock system. You can't choose from any option now, you have to for example unlock two armor upgrades before you get the blade dodge takedown. It's frustrating because I'm just dodging the knife guys now, not able to smash their face in with proper timing.

You're graded after every fight and predator section now. It works well in the former but not that great in the latter. Getting shot at and being seen can still net you an A somehow.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

He does sound younger and sometimes strays from Conroy's monotone. There's at least one scene when he goes rage a'la Bale when interrogating a guy.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

No. I hated Bale for that and like how this guy delivered it. It really was a balance between Conroy and Bale.

One more thing I love about this one is how most people in the game world don't really believe Batman exists. It reminds me of initial scenes of the 1989 movie. When you show up for a fight guys sometimes yell "He's real!". Lots of fun.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Also, comic book talk - there's lots of themes from Year One and The Man Who Laughs in this game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Gunder posted:

Found a show stopping bug in one of the side quests. When you're sorting out the radio tower in the same part of the city that contains the GCPD building, you enter a small room, the only exit from which is a small vent high up in the ceiling. After bat-clawing the vent cover off, you grapple up into the vent only to find that you can't actually make Batman climb up and into the vent, instead he just clings uselessly to the outside of the vent like he's hanging from a ledge. Tried reloading the game several times, same result every time. Luckily, it doesn't checkpoint you as soon as you enter that room, other wise i'd be stuck in that little room until they patch the game. As it stands I was able to reload the last checkpoint and just continue on with the main story line.

Yeah, the patch will have to happen soon. Apart from the stuff you mentioned some guys glitch through walls after beaten up and there are (seldom) cases of disappearing textures.

Pixeltendo posted:

Also are there still collectibles in the game?

Yeah, there are Riddler 'data packs' now. You can interrogate guys to get locations on these, like in City.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Shorter counter windows talk from few pages ago - they not only changed the timings on that but there's an upgrade to give you Critical Counters. You get x2 on your combo meter if you press counter button just before being hit. Really glad they add these things for experienced players and didn't dumb the fight system down. Hope they go Devil May Cry 3 or 4 path in the future and make it even more skill-reliant.

Really, Arkham is one of the few games I don't mind being franchised into infinity. Heard people comparing Origins to milking AssCred but it isn't really fair because that one was and still is really shallow gameplay-wise.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 25, 2013

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Any word on Origins about whether there are advantages to not using detective vision all the time?

In City they added this high-pitched sound playing constantly when you use detective mode, I guess to discourage people from using it constantly. It worked for me, I didn't spend that much time in the mode as I did in Asylum. Now in Origins the sound is even stronger now, and I plan to fiddle with the volume sliders when I get back from work today because Detective Vision is a bit annoying to use now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, I guess I don't mind it too much, but City was pretty much the perfect mix of old and new. Rocksteady had the balls to take a fantastic working formula and throw half of it out the window for something different and almost equally fantastic. Even though I don't actually like City quite as much as Asylum (although they're really close), I'm glad they didn't stick to familiar territory. Origins does that literally and figuratively and I can't help but be disappointed by that. If they keep pumping out safe sequels, I'm going to get bored of them really fast. I've played City before, and now I'm playing it again with Origins. It's good, but it can only be good so many times.

Yeah, but they did really well with this rehash. I'm expecting Rocksteady game to change stuff, as City did to Asylum. Hell, they very well could do the game in Silver Age.

I'm not tired of Batmanning yet. The series is really good at empowering the player and still making it challenging somehow. Maybe it depends on how big a Batman fan you are.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Reviews are dropping, 8.7 from GameTrailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/vez8x1/batman--arkham-origins-review

And here's Sessler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abobnR5sFrM

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yikes, a 6/10 from GameSpot:

The reviewer gives it that score because it's exactly the same game as Asylum and City, which it pretty much is, but it's still fun enough.

Yeah, but that's not a particularly well-written review. I mostly agree with Sessler, he named the game's pros and cons well and gave it 4/5.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How's the difficulty? The first two were a waste of time on anything but Hard. Should I just start on Hard like the others?

I also play on normal even though I 100% Asylum some time ago. Origins is pretty challenging, I must say. This is mainly due to the changed timings of the fighting system. Boss fights are harder apart from one encounter which is also the best one in the game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I just reached the worst part of the game. It's Mad Hatter's side-quest. Really poorly designed, most of the time I have no idea where to go or which gadget to use. This is nowhere near the quality of Scarecrow sections of Asylum.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I just beat it. Had tons of fun. It really has the best story of all the three games, but it will be appreciated most by comic book fans. The references to The Man Who Laughs, Killing Joke and Year One are really elegant and well-done. I think the story was so strong because it was pretty simple, they didn't try to force as many twists as they could like in City. The voicework is also top notch.

I like pretty much all the stuff they added to the gameplay. The fights are way tougher than they used to be. You WILL be tested on your skills with clearing larger mobs. Predator stuff was mostly the same but the maps were fun. And boss fights are fantastic, nearly every one is memorable. I didn't care for Riddler collectibles and the lack of puzzles to scan. These were really fun before but I guess they'd be kinda difficult to do in origins story.

There are still technical problems, glitches, bugs. The camera doesn't work as well as in previous games, there's some texture pop-in. The changelog on the first patch will be huge. Skill tree is bad, locking the most valuable upgrades behind secondary ones. And Mad Hatter side mission was just awful, terribly designed and with poor controls.

Judging by negative posts here - if you didn't like previous games that much and are not a big Batman fan don't even bother with this one. It is much more difficult and sometimes even skims on the tutorials.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 26, 2013

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yeah, The Last Will and Testament of Thomas Wayne was more effective than that.

That was a riff on Klaus Janson's Good Evening, Midnight.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Does anyone else have this feeling that the game will be underwhelming? I'm asking as a big fan of Asylum and City, got the game with 970. The previews look like it's more of the same but with the Batmobile which doesn't look that fun to begin with. And the game has like 5 preorder DLC packs already because WB is a poo poo publisher.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The previews linked earlier are as lukewarm as they can be. Not a single one says that the Batmobile adds anything to the game, one guy outright mocks the inclusion of Riddler Races.

Writing is still terrible judging by that last gameplay, maybe even more this time. All characters spout cringey lineliners at all times. Tank combat seems like a decent opportunity to show off some particle effects but little more.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuIsrODvddQ

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Does anyone have a story-complete steamworks save for City I could use? I want to do the NG+ but lost my save when the game ditched GWFL.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Just checked and there isn't. drat.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks guys, will try these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

First reviews are out. IGN gave it 92
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl39XPeb7UE

Gamespot only 70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1xnre-sIWI

Pretty much everyone says that the Batmobile sections are not as fun as they should be and there are some puzzles that force you to use the car. The dialogue is said to be bad (again) and plot twists predictable. Most importantly the combat and predator sections have more options.

• Locked thread