Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
16.2 gigabats.

I'm still not sure if I want to spring for this. I'd appreciate some early adopter goons giving their thoughts, especially on the multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

more friedman units posted:

Mandatory Bruce Wayne story sections where you drive a Lamborghini and get riotously drunk in a nice restaurant.

It would be like reverse Octodad where you need to lower Suspicion by being less competent.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Speaking of Wonder City, I've always wondered (ha ha) what's up with that place and I suppose here's as good a place as any to ask.

There's the occasional thug voice clip about how he remembers hearing about it at school, but it's just this giant half broken place utterly abandoned except for the (Arkham City spoilers)ninja clans and autonomous steampunk robots and immortality goo and all this stuff just papered over by Gotham's crappy subway system. Heck Wonder Tower is still huge and sticking up in the center of the city. I don't know really anything about Batman comics, but is there really just this magical steampunk hideout right in the middle of Gotham that nobody bothers to talk about or investigate?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I did get the riddles and read what it said, my question was just why didn't anyone look at wonder tower and ever decide to like, see what was in the basement? It's not like wonder city is well-hidden, there's a big ol' obvious door that anyone with a blowtorch and the land rights could get through in less than a day. Also while you're down there it's pretty obvious that wonder city used to be common knowledge, and not THAT long ago. I feel like if a magical underground steampunk robot suburb that had its own newspaper suddenly collapsed the people of the same city wouldn't have just forgotten all about it in the span of a single generation, and might, y'know, be mildly curious to see why it collapsed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What exactly DID yesterday's patch change?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is your one-stop bat shop. (the vita game even has an entry in the OP!)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I got this game in the Christmas sale. I keep worrying I'll run into all the bugs people keep talking about, but apart from Batman doing a brief interpretive dance instead of gliding one time I haven't noticed any problems.

The presentation is really incredible, I know they'll have less impact on subsequent playthroughs, but the "World's greatest detective" scenes are really fantastic, feels like a crime drama. Batman having a different voice actor isn't as jarring as I thought it would be, he does a good job I think. I haven't run into the Joker yet though. Favorite line so far is when Alfred called to sadly wish me a Merry Christmas.

Deathstroke tried to shoot me and I dropped a smoke bomb and he made fun of me for my crude gadgetry and then a batclaw shot out of the smoke cloud and dragged him into it where he got punched twenty times by eager fists. :getin:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't stand right in the middle of the entire cluster of dudes. Flip over some guy, punch and counter until your combo hits x5, pop the batswarm stun effect, and by the time the enemies recover you'll be in x12 bullet time freeflow, and you basically never need to counter again.

edit: basically what HenessyHero said.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I did finally encounter a bug. I just beat four thugs, one firearm, one knife, I performed abysmally, got hit four times, reached a combo of like 12 tops, and it somehow unlocked the final Shadow Vigilante challenge. I feel like batman is condescending to me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Penguingo posted:

Does anyone know how the combat actually works in the Arkham games? Like, when you get into combat are you fighting a whole bunch of individual dudes with health bars, or is it one contiguous mass of health with a dozen bodies that fall over at opportune moments, or do goons recover health if they've not been punched in a while, or what?

Whenever you fight one or two people they always go down in about three hits, whereas if there's tons of goons involved then, well, they don't.

They seem to have individual health bars, although it's not easy to keep track of individual guys the way they swarm around. Killing an armored thug with a beatdown takes 20-25 hits, but if you get interrupted and restart the beatdown later he goes down faster. I think with more goons it's just harder for individual goons to happen to be the ones to soak up a lot of hits in a row, so it gives the appearance of a communal health pool. Also the last goon in a fight always dies in one hit, since it's so easy for Batman to stun lock an individual guy the game just cuts to the chase and puts him on the ground.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He's the villain of a Playstation 2 Batman game, invented for the game. He's your standard comic-book hilarious racial stereotype.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Alfred's brief radio message to Batman just letting him know it's midnight was so great.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I do remember the Joker straight up shot people at point-blank range in some of the Origins cutscenes, does that sort of thing not count towards the ratings because it's not the player doing it?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Stick to your principles, Faux-rear end Nonsense.

That trailer's pretty neat, but I'm kind of surprised that it didn't feature the Knight even once, unless I missed it in all those grimdark .5 second video clips.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, I'm not arguing Batman should kill Joker. The only reason he's allowed to do vigilante stuff is because he's not a killer, after all.

I'm just saying that it seems silly that he has to save Joker from causing his own destruction.

He doesn't have to in the sense that his vigilante career depends on it, he has to because he is neurotic and has an obsession with saving life.

grandalt posted:

The Knight was standing next to Scarecrow in a scene during the trailer .

Oh sure enough. I assumed he would be a bigger deal because they named the game after him, but maybe they're just trying not to spoil the role he plays, which I can respect.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

blackguy32 posted:

They had a little of it in City when he was all like "I am going to save Talia" and Albert bitch slaps him back down.

It also helped that in the show, Batman was a bit more compassionate about some of the lesser criminals. But in the games, he seems to just be one angry dude all the time that is dedicated to smashing faces.

Part of this is caused because lesser criminals are gameplay enemies, and unless gameplay enemies had a chance to surrender (ruining all sorts of combo-based achievements!), Batman can't really go easier on them than just crushing them. I do wish he didn't elbow every single Riddler informant though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ImpAtom posted:

There's literally a scene where, if you don't swoop down right away, you hear two Henchman talking. One talks about how he hates what he does but has no choice. He was put into jail and once he got out he couldn't find a legitimate job. He only works for criminals because he can't find a job anywhere and he has a kid who he has to take care of.

This isn't subtext or reading outside the lines. It's literally something that happens in-game.

Yeah it always annoyed me that you could listen in on a guy talk about his plans to become an accountant and help other criminals go straight, but then the instant the guy sees you he runs straight at you and tries to knife you over and over and over even if you just stand there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My favorite part of Origins was when Batman said that DNA analysis indicated that the car hit the victim at high speed.

It hit him so hard he became a different person.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I don't get the love for Black mask. I'm as tired of Joker as the next guy but at least he's interesting. Black Mask is just a generic mobster.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

poptart_fairy posted:

I actually asked this earlier in the thread and it came down to people not really liking BM, but just being sick of him being shoved to the side for another Joker plot.

Yeah I can understand this. I guess I just want a break from the joker AND a more interesting villain to replace him with. Fussy gamer ITT.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was hoping they had some interesting idea for him, since he didn't seem like the villain you'd lazily chuck in because it was expected. A bunch of Batman villains have been had successful reworkings over the years, and it might have been his turn. Except it wasn't.

I'd never heard of him until the game, I thought he would be some sort of mask-obsessed guy, and given the title of Origins and the fact that City was all about having a villain who knew who Batman was, I figured he would sort of be a primary antagonist trying to figure out who this new Batman guy was behind the mask. Then he just shouted at people and tried to fistfight you like an idiot. Too bad.

surc posted:

I have no idea what this means.

It means stop trying to start an argument by making smug comments about how angry other people are.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe the writers don't understand what mental illness is.

I think that's probably true of anyone who's ever written anything involving Batman, including me writing this forum post.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mogomra posted:

Nightwing's animations look totally unpolished. Preorder cancelled.

Yeah they looked a lot better in Arkham city.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Does it explain why he wears a luchador mask for no reason?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Discendo Vox posted:

He's from a fictional country that uses the Spanish language- by comic book conventions, that means that he, and all others of his kind, are born with luchador masks permanently affixed to their faces.

Somehow I knew this was the answer. I just didn't want to believe it.

Discendo Vox posted:

We should be glad he didn't get a drooping moustache and a sombrero.

Hey now let's not say things we can't take back.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's a good LP, and I am enjoying it, but the majority of the complaining about Origin's plot in that LP thread are giant effortposts from Discendo Vox himself, so I'm not sure why he didn't just make his points again here instead of asking people to go read them there?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Is he the guy who kept comparing it to Geek tragedies

Even if he was, it's ok to compare things to G(r)eek tragedies, ayn rand hand job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

redbackground posted:

And turning the Arkham City plan into something that would be replicated in cities all over, I think? Not really sure how firebombing it all to hell was supposed to achieve that part. It's been awhile since I really listened to the specifics of What Was To Come.

I think he was expecting after the criminals all got blown up for Gotham to enter into a golden age period of unfettered ultimate prosperity and law-abidery, which would make him look super good in retrospect, which would then cause other cities to replicate etc etc etc.

Of COURSE it would never work that way, but he's a comic book villain literally named Dr. Strange, so not exactly press-stopping news there.

• Locked thread