Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jerusalem posted:

If it turns out anything like Asylum and City (maddeningly) did, then the PC release will come out a couple of weeks after the console release, but there will definitely be a pre-order for it on Steam. Is it using Games for Windows Live or have they quietly just dumped that out?
There was a preorder, I believe, but definitely no preload for City. Maybe now it's Steamworks it will be. On the subject of GFWL, people are dumping it and a few games like AA or Bioshock 2 have had quiet Steam registry updates for steamworks achievements so it might lead somewhere.

On the subject of BAO though, I love that I'll be able to navigate around all of Gotham City rather than being confined to a shithole that was Arkham City even if it had some interesting nooks and crannies. Shame it'll be dead empty minus wandering henchmen but the randomized crimes and groups of thugs with varying difficulty levels are welcoming after AC just respawned the same mooks everytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

No, it's apparently a whole new area the same size. Basically, the complete Arkham Origins map is twice the size of Arkham City.
Isn't Origins just all of Gotham City proper? I'd like to explore most of Gotham.

I do wish there was the outskirts so you could go back to Wayne Manor or explore the Batcave like in that challenge mode DLC.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

elf help book posted:

It was really a shame between AA and AC they moved not having counter alerts from hard mode to new game plus.
It was probably because NG+ meant you played the game before, and they used the counter alerts for QTE moments, which if they didn't exist/you didn't know about, you'd probably sit there for a while wondering when the cutscene was gonna end (yeah the button prompt was there I guess, dunno why they didn't just leave it at that).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure. I played the previous games and this and I'm not seeing a significant difference. I think it may be memory/muscle memory vs new things. I recall poeple saying similar things re: Arkham Asylum when AC first came out.

I really am wondering if the PC version has other problems which are not obvious because I'm seriously not seeing this on the PS3 version.
I've noticed some slight timing differences coming from AC. Also, henchmen throwing attacks seem to cover much more distance, which is why sometimes they will nail you when in AC they'd just punch air.

A redirected aerial attack actually has a "ground pound" animation associated with it, so be careful not to use that too often. Again, unless you are attacking shield users anyway, you don't get invincibility frames. I actually liked the enforcer/armoured enforcer/venom user specials. Surprised when they charged you mid-special takedown or something you kept invincibility frames.

Martial artists and getting used to how/when to counter in AO are the only bits messing up my combat right now. gently caress martial artists sometimes, they just show up and my combo is at 0.

Did anyone else experience some janky camera snapping or anything once or twice?

Also there is a goddamn Batcave, why is it when I finish the story I have to continue being battle-damaged Batman?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The second has always been like that. The gimmick with the Aerial Attack is that it had invincibility frames only when used on a shield guy and otherwise you were super vulnerable. I haven't noticed the quickfire being much different (aside from it seeming faster to put down to me) but I didn't use it as a dodge much so I can't speak for the specific timing there.
AC's redirected aerial attack did not have the "ground pound" animation with it, which is what they seem to have added in AO. Can't remember if you can cancel out of that or if it's just the regular aerial. Either way it's highly unsafe to use except on shield thugs anymore, unless the gamble on redirecting is better than hoping you don't get attacked mid aerial on a regular thug.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm doubtful the predator rooms repopulate, and you probably cannot grind Dark Knight challenges in challenge mode, so it looks like for NG+ I'll have to be very very careful in predator rooms to get Worst Nightmare, that kinda sucks.

Communist Pie posted:

Is there a secret to using the smoke pellet to do a takedown I am not aware of?
You can select it as a gadget and manually throw/drop it.

Also why is there so much crying on the Internet about the Deathstroke fight or just the combat in the game in general? I mean, sure point out the fact there's some jank (like Bats throwing a punch at nothing in freeflow) or he feels a bit slower/more windup involved but really, people complaining about the more more aggressive combat AI? Remember when people were all saying Batman Arkham games having BABY COMBAT FOR BABIES YOU JUST MASH X AND Y HOW HARD COULD IT BE?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

THE CHORSE posted:

It's possible to complete the Dark Knight challenges in challenge maps accessed through the Batcave, right? Because otherwise it's going to be a real pain in the rear end to get some of these...
Nope, just tried. Didn't get anything.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Aaaand I don't think the predator rooms in the story mode repopulate. Just checked the Bank. But the rest of them are a real hell of a trek to get back there (or you can't revisit) and they probably don't. The ranking system makes sense to lock some upgrades behind it but maybe putting a certain order of them kinda restricts creativity if you want to go for them. Guess you might have to rely on NG+ to grind them out.

On the other hand I kinda liked that the skills were locked in a tree though, because in something like AC it made it way too easy to go for what you wanted, which was crits, freeflow, then roll in the xp for ending fights with a fucklarge multiplier. I felt like I needed bonus health before anything here.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I would be okay with the trees if they made sense, but for combat, both the Health upgrade trees are frontloaded ridiculously. You have to get max health before you can get anything else.

(I should note however that despite being in a tree, you can get some upgrades without leveling towards them. I got the Glue Grenade upgrades without touching the rest of the Predator stuff.)
Yeah 3/4 bullet/combat health was a bit much though. Should've been maybe 2 health - blade takedown/multi-batarang - health upgrade #3 - critical counter/batswarm then maybe around it out there with #4 then continue the tree as is. Or move bullet health to the predator tree (and why is the conc detonator in the combat tree?)

Not sure why they locked the Dark Knight stuff down to ranks though, I feel like it'd be possible to make it through NG+ and IATN and still not finish all 4x 15/15, whereas all of those challenges in AC were just riddle challenges you could get to doing in any order.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Post-game traversal is a little annoying in the newer part of the map when it is literally snipers on every roof top.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

Also for some reason I kick rear end while playing as Deathstroke but suck playing as Batman. I really wish Batman attacked faster. Deathstroke was a joy to play because of this. That and longer range.
I thought Deathstroke was just a Robin reskin? Or did they make him faster than Robin? Because Robin in AC was probably the slowest character in combat ever.

Communist Pie posted:

Yep, turned out it had to be against an armed guy during a predator segment, on random armed guys it does nothing.
Is it one of the Gotham Protector challenges? In the description it says you can use it on a regular dude with gun on a rooftop.

Sober fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 27, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

more friedman units posted:

I think the skill trees are the most poorly thought out part of the game. I get what they were going for, but...
That and locking gadgets/abilities behind challenges that have to be done in a specific order to unlock them. I've probably done a few of them after finishing the story but not in their order.

ImpAtom posted:

You have a lot of options what to do with knives guys. If you're been depending on Disable/Disassemble, try to get the counter timing down or just Glue Grenade them.
Aren't they still worth +2 modifier and x200 points for a blade takedown like in AC? I dunno why anyone would do a weapon break on a knife wielder in challenges.

edit: not done all of the sidequests but I feel like many of the auxiliary upgrades you get from sidequest/challenge unlocks should've just been plopped into a tree and then just go all out with the sidequests. They still feel a little MMO-y to me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Fuzz posted:

gently caress these Combat Challenge unlocks. I am trying to do the 9th one where you beatdown a guy, counter in the middle, then go back to beating down without breaking your combo, and I have literally done exactly that (sometimes with multiple counters) like 20+ times and it refuses to count it as complete, so I can't progress through them. Really goddamn frustrating.

Are they locked by your progress in the storyline or something? I only just beat Deathstroke.
Yes, they are locked and you need to do the previous one before doing the next one. Which is kinda dumb as poo poo because although right now I am 14/15 for the combat challenges (it maybe took me an hour or two to adjust to the combat here) I am actually a big baby at predator rooms and I'm only at 5/15 for predator challenges ("Worst Nightmare"). They are all tied to the story mode, even if you start challenge maps in the Batcave, so if you are lovely at predator maps like me and just hug gargoyles a lot and silent takedown 99% of the group then get spotted and never use any gadgets, then yes, you can probably miss out. I already finished the main story once and predator rooms don't repopulate and goons outside don't count.

5/15 predator challenge is to simply finished a predator encounter without detective mode. I have to grind the rest in NG+. I am so screwed.

edit: also shock gloves make me the worst at combat because all of a sudden I keep losing my combo. gently caress SHOCK GLOVES.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh the funniest/weirdest thing was that the case files kinda bugged out the audio for me. At first it was the Bats' line saying "Alfred, contact the GCPD about the last case and forward my evidence."

The last one though, it didn't play the police radio intercept, so when I went to look up the case file, all it said was "Crime Alley: man and woman shot in crime alley with the same automatic, I knew them" and I was wondering if WBM was trying to mindfuck me or something (yeah I later realized Bruce's parents were probably shot with a revolver and not an automatic).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I figured out what I was missing for the last Most Wanted. I hadn't done the fight with Deadshot yet, finishing that triggered it.
I have all the possible cases done: Lacey Towers in the story all the way down to Crime Alley and arresting Deadshot - and getting the achievement for capturing all the assassins. Still nothing for the last Most Wanted sidequest.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

RadicalWall posted:

Oh, and challenge maps don't count!

I think someone was saying that the enemies on the ship deck will respawn and those do count.

Rookersh posted:

The roof of the police station counts as a predator arena. It's also full of ledges/corner takedown spots. No idea if there are vents up there though. I know you can get the explosive gel takedown by just putting it on the floor, then having a guy walk on top of it, so if there is a vent, that'd work as a respawnable predator point.
I do not remember either of these arenas to have vents. Grates on the ship deck, yeah.

How does the explosive gel takedown count if there isn't a wall though?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

Nope. The challenges system for the non-combat ones are pretty poorly thought out.
Well the whole idea of a ranked challenge system that can only be played in the main story and is really restrictive is poorly thought out to begin with.

Well, maybe Gotham Protector makes a small bit of sense, but I don't see why combat/predator has to be locked to the story.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Saw the patch so I decided to hop in and do the tower. On the way, there was a Blackgate thug, so I figured why not, let's take him out on the way to the Burnley tower. All of a sudden I finish the combat skill tree (50x multiplier, don't get hit, 15x variation).

That was weird.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Kin posted:

Man, it looks like I've another reason for abandoning a 100% run. Apparently there's a costume locked behind getting every combat challenge medal.

Slap an achievement on that or whatever, but don't lock content behind a near unbeatable wall that only the extremely skilled are going to get. Especially as the people that play it enough to get to that point probably don't give a poo poo about a character skin anyway.
Oh, that is a thing but most people have a problem with the predator challenge 'tree' instead since if you miss it/it bugs out, you have to pretty much do them by the letter in NG+/IATN mode to finish the tree. At least the combat one is doable in free roam when you get big groups from crimes in progress.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I really am convinced that the PC version has more glitches than are obvious. I've seriously done everything I can to replicate the combat problems in the PS3 version and I just can't. I've gone into big brawls in story mode, I've played around in challenge maps, and I'm just not seeing it.

If it isn't that then I don't know what it is because I seriously did not approach AO any different from AC and I've been able to do everything that people claim doesn't work/was changed/whatever.
I'm on the PC and honestly other than a few changes (redirected aerial animation, aggressive enemies, getting used to new quickfire gadgets/enemy types) it feels like AC combat with a few changes. There are times where enemies are much more aggressive and there are times in both story mode and challenge maps where I will get chained punched by regular henchmen because I get pissed for losing a multiplier from something stupid, which is rarely a bug, and I'm now out of freeflow.

There are a few dumb bugs or changes I think are dumb that I never noticed in AC though:
-Armoured thugs seem harder to ID, or I need to go into detective mode. In AC, they were very distinct per faction, but here it seems like everyone wears winter jackets so other than SWAT armoured thugs, it is harder to ID them since there isn't sheet-metal-armor-clad clowns for Joker thugs, the mad hatter thugs all look the same and so do all the Bane thugs except some extra armour you might not notice. Maybe a helmet but this is negated by mad hatter thugs who all wear their white rabbit mask.
-Quickfire batarang auto-aiming for an armoured thug, then immediately failing you out of the counter. This never seemed to happen in AC , either because the targeting algorithm or whatever wasn't as screwy or it did happen in AC but it was because he was the last one standing. I've been throwing a lot less batarangs out in this case in turn for glue grenades, even though this was a staple for me in AC to disarm someone who just grabbed a gun.
-Ironically you cannot mash counter on martial artists, I finally noticed that today, this is why I've been failing out of my combos.
-Ninjas that dodge your attacks don't seem to immediately attack you, which seems to throw off my timing now.
-Someone pointed out to me that quickfire gel gives 25 points per hit, but I don't think it ever KOs, so ummm ... that doesn't seem right.

Sober fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 4, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I just realized I'm kinda pissed I can't climb Wonder Tower then dive bomb off of it and ruin some henchman's Christmas Eve.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

RatHat posted:

There are a lot of unclimbable buildings for some reason. The huge ones that you have to go around are the worst.
Yeah those are a little annoying but I can see that maybe WBM might've just reined in the distance the grapple gun can fire to. There are some really odd places you can't grapple to, which feel like artificial "you have to glide to this spot" stuff (mostly riddler stuff though fortunately). I can't say much to the grapple points, though they seem much more limited, I don't know how much that is if WBM actually reduced the distance you can grapple to something (e.g. you can't go from ground level to the top of a building) but I agree the options you get while gliding seem a bit artificial. I don't mind not using the boost as much as I just want to grapple up to a tall spot and then glide/dive/glide my way to a destination.

I'm curious if it's possible to do Anarky's side missions without using the boost. I know that the Zsasz side missions in AC were easily doable without ever boosting, and I easily got around just grappling then running across rooftops until I got up to a high spot to glide off of.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Arkham City looks fantastic and it plays like a dream now, but I do recall when it first came out that there were huge problems playing with DX11 (or was it DX10 back then?) for a lot of people, including myself, and it needed to be played in DX9 mode with a lot of the cooler PhysX stuff turned off to get a playable framerate.

It certainly wasn't as buggy as Origins, though - I've been one of the lucky ones in terms of encountering no game-breaking bugs (or being able to work around stuff like Burnley Tower or the final boss cutscene skipping) but I have encountered quite a few instances of a person not being where they were supposed to be on the map, interrogations not always being available when they should, etc.

I finished New Game+ yesterday and now I really only have I Am The Night and the challenge maps left to finish - I'm having a real problem getting the Alfred's Wisdom achievement though, I went back to the Batcave at every opportunity during the story to talk to him and have jumped in and out post-game to chat with him, and if I hear,"That Vicki Vale is quite the troublemaker...." again I think I'll scream.

At least the Shiva achievement wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, those invincibility frames you get by dodging over the head of enemies came in hugely handy (same deal with the Bane fight).
You might have to just jump back and forth post game. There are a few post game chats. Surprisingly you don't need to finish Engima's sidequest at all though I think you need to trigger all the sidequests. When Alfred starts talking about the huge bat there's maybe 3 or 4 left, the final one if you care he tells Bruce that the huge bat in the cave took off with their Christmas ham and ate it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

What!?! I was looking forward to finally getting to eat that ham after Alfred spent all night talking about it!

Is it purely my imagination, or are these some dialog adjustments in New Game+? In my first playthrough when Alfred contacts Batman at midnight to wish him Merry Christmas, I was sure that Batman doesn't bother responding. On New Game+, he says a quiet,"You too," in response. Did I just miss it the first time around?
You might've missed it, that's all. I got Alfred's Wisdom pre NG+ as well.

Also my game is trippy as gently caress with audio and will cut out tracks like nothing. Well, it's mostly just sidequest stuff like "Alfred, contact GCPD because I am the only one doing their job tonight" after you finish a step in something anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Is it just me or is there quite a bit of jank in predator rooms with the remote claw? Like point blank/clear LOS shots with extinguisher/propane not wanting to register or if you make a rope from gargoyle to gargoyle they didn't seem to take into account not being able to fully cross it. I even bugged out, if I stepped off a gargoyle onto a rope it would teleport me to a previous tightrope and then drop me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

I wonder if the people complaining about Deathstroke have hints turned off, as that also turns off the counter indicator, which would make the Deathstroke fight much more difficult.
Oh really? I thought it was like AC and they were supposed to have counter indicators on because of QTEs and all that and NG+ moving forward removed them because you were expected to know when to QTE (occasionally with a hint I guess). Did not know you could turn it off from the menu right away.

Speaking of Deathstroke, I'm surprised the playable version of him is unique. Wasn't there a lot of hubbub about him being a reskinned AC Robin? I played Deathstroke for a while and he is muuuuuuuuuuuuch faster than AC Robin (who I thought was the slowest of all the fighters) and doesn't actually seem to have the same move set other than having the staff. Except Robin was slow as gently caress.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Robin was definitely slower than Catwoman, and I think Nightwing too. But he's still miles ahead of Batman. It's funny; you wouldn't think Bats is that slow until you do some of the harder challenge maps. It turns out that he is a glacier in comparison to the rest.
If we are going by speed, my metric is probably beatdown speed. AC Robin definitely takes forever to finish a beatdown. It's Catwoman > Nightwing > Batman > Robin. Robin doing a beatdown usually involved having to counter the entire group, although I won't lie Batman usually involves at least 3 series of counters when you are doing a full beatdown on an armoured thug without thinning out the group. He also happens to be more or less at the same speed as Batman possibly for frame length during an attack, though maybe longer somehow because of the staff (but Deathstroke doesn't have this problem). If you are Catwoman or Nightwing you almost never get hit even if you strike when a thug is mid-strike coming for you. For Batman, it's a tossup. For Robin, whelp, expect to fail out of your combo.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Emerson's Joker in Returns was pretty interesting as well I thought. Took a while to get used to Weller as Batman though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh yeah someone mentioned the explosive gel upgrade, I swear it didn't auto detonate unless you were in trouble. It's hard to lure a few thugs into a trap when it auto detonates on the first one arriving. Was that always the case with AA/AC? I swear if you weren't in combat during a predator room it would just flash up the "hostiles" in proximity (in AC anyway).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

TheGreySpectre posted:

So I went back and finished up AA and replayed AC over the weekend. While AC still has one or two snipers floating around at the end of the game it is a far cry from AO. If nothing else the snipers in AC pretty much never look at each other so it is easy to take them down. The ones AO all stare right at each other so (at least so far for me) it has been almost impossible to take them out undetected. There are also a lot more snipers at the end of AO then the end of AC. When gliding around it is also much easier to find stuff to grapple onto for an elevation boost in AC.

Combat in AC is definitely smoother then AO, although at least AO beats out AA (although in AA's defense it was the first game combat was awesome for its time).

I am having a hard time finding the motivation to go back and do NG+ in AO. After playing through All 3 games in a very short period of time I have a hard time coming up with a single thing that is better about AO then AC.
If you are talking about the snipers in the Diamond District, take out the lone one on the roof when you are able, pop behind cover, multibatarang the three (2 snipers 1 gun) when they turn their attention away, dive right in knock out the regular unarmed thug, then just KO the gun-toters. They stay down pretty long as long as you have the batarang stun upgrade. That's the best I've been able to get.

Also playing without counter indicators feels good again, although I spent wayyyyy too much time trying to figure out martial artists in general via the training challenge over and over, timing to not fub your counter and your combo and what is coming, since they have two sets of attacks you have to watch out for. Although for some reason on some combat challenge maps, knife/bottle wielders seem impossible to spot. Or maybe it's just Overflow being a dumb map.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Re: the combat in Origins

I actually liked the Venom thugs, since they effectively work as two thugs in one. When they have venom on, they work exactly like armoured thugs but after you remove their venom backpack they are just regular enemies.

Armoured enemies are still dumb because they blend in too well sometimes with the rest of the group whereas they stood out in AC. Personally Detective Mode should not really be needed for combat but I feel like I've been needing to use it, but mostly I do that while jumping over heads.

If you want to really trivialize martial artists, just jump over them and follow up with a simple strike. They won't counter or cancel your move (this doesn't fail you out of your combo though, e.g. if you try to instant takedown a MA thug)

Is it just me or is the targeting system for quickfire batarangs a little funky? If I even bother aiming in the general direction of a armoured/shield thug surrounded by regular thugs, it will hit the former instead and fail me out of my combo. In this instance I really only throw one at a time even though you can get away with 3 in a single move before having to move on, but even then it still hits the wrong target and fails me out.

They should've put critical strikes at the end of the combat skill tree (i.e. where critical counters were) and move critical counters as a reward for Shiva's sidequest (since you happen to be fighting the poo poo out of martial artists or ninjas anyway). At that point they maybe should've squeezed the other moves like D&D after crits in the tree. I'm personally fine with it being a sidequest reward though.

Disarm and Destroy against enemies getting ready to throw an item is hilarious.

I feel like the camera is inconsistent, especially on Overflow where it's almost too high up and you can't see things like blades or other details as much to help ID threats.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The frustration being when all your careful planning fucks up, either due to a fault on your own part, an out of nowhere issue that you can't react to in time, or just some plain good old fashioned bullshit.

My IATN run attempt ended (for now) through a combination of all three. I was just ahead of the Copperhead fight in the predator room, was performing a silent takedown on a sniper when two other snipers locked in on me out of nowhere and killed me dead before I had a chance to cancel out of the animation and drop a smoke pellet. That was.... very frustrating....
I was just doing a simple (read: Extreme) predator room (the Royal Hotel Lobby) and had a sniper no scope me dead when I tried to glue grenade him from behind while on a vantage point. He actually turned around and just BAM, I was dead before it trapped him. Hacks, I tell yah

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Anyone else annoyed by the "auto-detonation" on the explosive gel? I mean, I'd like it sometimes, but once you activate it you can never turn it off. I remember spraying a couple walls in the Deadshot fight and waiting for him to walk by so I could trigger it, but every time one of his goons set it off instead.
Yes.

I feel like I should start up AC again and see if that was the case, because I don't think it worked like it does here. I swear that even if you got auto-detonate gel, it only goes off if you get put in combat/trouble. It's cool sometimes but most of the time they want you to set up a trap and someone just patrolling fucks it up.

Surprisingly the quickfire version doesn't auto detonate, but you can't spray that on vertical walls anyway, which is the real problem.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

turnways posted:

I got this game through a new video card; I now own all the Arkham games but have yet to play a single one. Would it be alright to jump in with Origins, move on to Asylum, and then make my way to the (what I've heard to be) superior City? I've already been spoiled on all the plot details so I don't care about that, I just want to save the best of the series for last so I'll keep playing through.

AA > AC > AO

I mean if you don't give a poo poo about it, you could go chronological order but you would miss a ton of poo poo going from even City back to Asylum.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, I just found out that if you hit RB with the Batclaw instead of RT, it does a sort of "chase cam" for it. Never knew that.
Same with the batarang (even the regular one). Been in since AA, might've been undocumented or just not really advertised.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

washow posted:

Is it weird if I spend 30 minutes bonking a goon with a batarang trying to kill him and send him flying in funny ways?
I did that times about 6 for the AC extreme predator room that had a "don't take any damage" medal. (That was before I learned you could take armour damage no problem on that level and still get it).

That and ledge pulls with the Batclaw. Good times.

Also has anyone ever had Distruptor misfires? Consumes the 'shot' but doesn't seem to do anything. This is even on enemies that ONLY have a gun, nothing else.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It would just be easier if all the Dark Knight challenges weren't tiered at all. Someone like me who is predator-challenged (3/15 while I'm done the rest) really doesn't feel like having to having to be stuck having to try every room exactly as the immediate challenge requires.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Reliability is not the problem I've had in combat at all. Any time I get hit, it is my own mistakes. (At least on the PS3 version.) There are times I've lost my combo through things that felt like bullshit, but that is largely due to the armored guys being a lot harder to recognize at a single glance.
Well readability/art direction is kind of the problem there too. But I feel like the targeting system just wants to gently caress with you when you try to toss a batarang and it happens to land on the armoured thug, surrounded by nine other normal ones and another three in between you and him.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Optimist Prime posted:

OK, I've completed the other three parts of the Dark Knight System but I'm still only on #2 for Worst Nightmare. What are the criteria for "finishing a predator encounter while unseen"? Is there a minimum number of goons? Are silent takedowns prohibited? And, on a related note, is it possible to do all 14 remaining challenges in order while playing NG+? I know the explosive-wall challenge (#6?) is only possible in a couple of rooms...
You pretty much should just silent takedown everyone one by one, it's the only way to be sure. I tried doing something flashy like taking out the final thug with an inverted takedown or glide kick and welp, spotted anyway.

And yes the challenge system is kinda dumb for locking things off until you do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Here's a guide for Worst Nightmare in one playthrough: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7105...rigins/67681963

When I find time I might just start a new save rather than going to NG+ with my current save, actually. I really don't want to struggle doing NG+ predator rooms since armoured enemies in predator mode never play nice with the challenges.

• Locked thread