Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shitposting 24/7 without regrets. my parents would be proud.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Kinda off topic from the movie, but I picked up Origins: Blackgate, and HOLY gently caress, gently caress Penguin's boss fight up the rear end forever.

I thought I was the only one who felt it was complete poo poo. I am sad now that i bought that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The worst thing about dialogue towards Catwoman is not just the fact that everyone calls her a bitch.

It's the fact that everyone either calls her a bitch or implies that they want to do something violent to her sexually.

Someone made a compilation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOk3K_lo-Y

To be fair, the only people who threaten her and call her a bitch are the hosed up cartoonish henchmen and the villains. i am not saying its right,its tacky as hell and is hosed up, but to me it kinda fits with the psudo-grimdark city prison setting. Also, i am pretty sure alot of those henchmen insults got cut out in a recent patch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

It seems every 20 pages or so, someone jumps on old hobbyhorse of "batman is an evil fascist who punches impoverished innocent criminals and he is just as bad as hitler/arkham city is sexist because psychos call catwoman a bitch and say awful hosed up things because they are psychos" tumblrite rant. Batman isn't real life, it doesn't have the nuance of real life. Its about a dude who dresses like a bat and kicks the poo poo out of a clown/burn victim/plant woman/ roid user and leaves them for the police. Also the henchmen in the arkham games are supposed to be all hardened psycho sick fucks or mercenaries who run over their own sister if their costumed boss asked them, of course they are going to call catwoman sexist poo poo/rape threats. because they are the baddies.

edit: off that topic, what do you think they are going to do with Hush in knight?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There's literally a scene where, if you don't swoop down right away, you hear two Henchman talking. One talks about how he hates what he does but has no choice. He was put into jail and once he got out he couldn't find a legitimate job. He only works for criminals because he can't find a job anywhere and he has a kid who he has to take care of.

This isn't subtext or reading outside the lines. It's literally something that happens in-game.

I havent heard that one. I love the thug conversations in the arkham games. Its probably one of my favorite parts of the games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hard counter posted:

What was equally bad to me was when Strange hyped up the guards he has patroling the top of Wonder Tower as being very bat savvy and knowing how to deal with Bruce's tactics. Then they still go down just as easily to the same old tricks as anyone else. Perhaps rocksteady planned to make a new enemy type that carefully checks all vents, grates and ledges but ran out of time, or maybe they overestimated the difficulty of not having inside gargoyles as seems to be the norm in Gotham.

Yeah i know what you mean. I always felt bad for the guards in the tower especially any you hang off the railing, because i assume they all burn to death in the Strange explosion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

insider posted:

So is Origins worth getting? I thought when it came out I heard it was a buggy mess so I have avoided it till now, but I'm starting to get that Batman itch with Arkham Knight on the horizon.
its pretty good. its not as great as city in some areas but the story is pretty good for a batman story. plus its pretty cheap nowadays

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I thought that was referencing to the Red Hood and Harley DLCs. Or are those not considered for rating?

so how are those dlc packs going to work. are they like the catwoman dlc or will they just be glorified challenge maps?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://it.ign.com/batman-arkham-cit...ham-su-next-gen
apparently asylum and city are being remastered and put on ps4/xbox1/ pc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

wow the city looks nice. the streets are normal sized, cars and henchmen are running around. I also like that the goons have individual models.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

redbackground posted:

Apparently you can finally use skins right off the bat now without having to play through once.

About time. I wonder which skins will be in the game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

Assault and Origins are not canon and there's a very good reason behind it: They're bad.

Origins is so far back timeline wise(year 2) that it doesn't matter really, but the second electrocutioner shows up for about 5 pages before getting his poo poo kid in then later iced by Arkham Knight in the new arkam comic plus i liked origins, despite its problems. but Assault on arkham was dumbshit though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Assault on Arkham was one of the worst movies I've ever had the displeasure of watching so I would be very surprised for Rocksteady to take it as canon.

My guess is they are forced to, if it comes out of WB and has the arkham tag on it, its probably canon. It was to boring as poo poo and it was kind of edgy i hate. Arkham always edgy, but it was never overt. apart from all the catwoman, harley "controversy" but it seems knight is handling those better and i dont feel like seeing the thread fight about it again. I guess i was surprised by the amount of violence and sex in the movie. wasn't offended by it, it just felt dumb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

How well does Arkham Asylum hold up so far? I'm thinking about doing a playthrough of all of the console Arkham games up to Knight.

holds up better then origins but not as welll as city. batman feels a little tanky sometimes and the need to unlock alot of the base moves is annoying. plus no kenshi fist of the north star move.

on a different topic. seems an old friend is back in the game. http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/201...-arkham-knight/
my honest guess is it will scarecrow gas nightmare joker

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MZIGElE3CA
new arkham insider. this time about arkham knight and character design. I am a sucker for character design stuff. I love that scarecrow's mask is just the messed up,wrecked, mask from the original arkham asylum. also i think he might be blind in one eye.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 22, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

redbackground posted:

Jesus, couldn't someone have cleaned up that one guy's head wound before they started filming?

gross, i just noticed that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

redbackground posted:

That Batman '66 skin's face is absolutely terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4n8RWflTew
its looks scarier in motion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-6kYvPEdM
new gameplay video.

and gameinformer did a handson.
http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/201...ormer-hands-on/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMc4gaouAs
New arkham insider, this time about the batmobile.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Batmobile has two modes:

A car mode and a "tank" mode. In the tank mode you basically have shooter controls. You swap between them at a button press. At least as of a year ago the movement of the tank wasn't an issue.

tell us more please. if you dont mind. how were the controls.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

HD version of the Red Hood trailer

EDIT: Goddamn, the amount of preorder bonus/retailer exclusive content for this game is insane

Those look like false facers aka black masks dudes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

redbackground posted:

This is not the Riddler haircut I was expecting.

apparently he gets more and more grotty as the game goes on,

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Arkham Riddler needs some serious help. He's set up, like, 700+ trophies and multiple challenges just so he can say "Haha, I'm smarter than you."

dont forget he now built massive driving challenges in the Gotham sewer/underground probably blowing millions just to try to "gently caress over"(slightly inconvenience) the batman. Also all his assorted jigsaw-esq traps.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

new arkham insider. things confimered. thugs dont dodge well cars well. also closer quick look at firefly. also the gamer is longer the both city and asylum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQrFevUtu4

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

As much as I'm nervous about chunks of the game being scraped off to be sold as DLC (lego batman 3 style), Rocksteady and their publisher have largely done a good job.

Giving them four years to develop the title is really goddamn remarkable in today's age of Assassins Creeds and Call of duty annual "events".

WB is great publisher. shadow of mordor was good, all of the arkham games have been good, witcher 3 is amazing. mortal kombat is published under them. and i think the published some of suda 51s games. and the mad max game made by the just cause 2 devs looks fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

One thing i like that i have picked up that i liked from the gameplay shown was that thugs dont seem to be stationary anymore. In all the other previous arkham games, they would basicaly form a story circle and bitch at each other and occasionally kick something. now they are running around, throwing stuff, looting, fighting each other, running away and smashing poo poo. It makes it feel more alive.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Nothing is more annoying than fake hype. Especially when the person gets hype by turning into a spaz. "Classic new double counter!" How can something be classic and new at the same time drat it?! The Batclaw Slam isn't new either! Could the Batmobile be broken? When it pulled up I saw that it took out like 7 thugs just pulling up. Can I do that for stuff like Crime in Progress or side quests that involve beating up random mooks? Sounds like an easy way to cheese the game.

Batman KOing the thug in the holding cell was hilarious.

Agreed. the gameplay itself got me exited. I dont need some cokehead loudly commenting over it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Amazon has some preview peeks of the Arkham Universe: The Ultimate Visual Guide and one of them has an interesting allusion to the Knight's identity

It is Jason isn't it?

I think its damian or a clone of bruce. hedging on clone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_...eature=youtu.be
more red hood gamplay. definitely black mask mooks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm not real clear on what it was about Joker that was stopping villains from working together before. I mean, I understand why they weren't working with Joker, but what would he care about any of the others working together? I thought the fact that all the villains are assholes who can't get along was what was stopping them from working together.

because the joker would always gently caress things up for personal amusement and/or a chance to kill or gently caress with batman.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Alright I see your point, but I still find it odd that nobody thought "conflicting personalities" was also at work there. I mean, Penguin and Two-Face spent the entirety of Arkham City trying to kill each other and now I guess they're bros???

I assume its "gently caress it, we work together to take advantage of scarecrow's plan and help kill the bat, then once we take over, we can "sort out" our difference"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. They tossed you into the open world.

The Batmobile is not optional, you need it for missions and solving puzzles, but you still have all of Batman's mobility options including the glide and the super-speed grapple so I actually ended up just flying over most of the drat city when trying to get around.

Thug dialogue is now subtitled from a pretty ridiculous distance which is nice.

Remote hacking is no longer a minigame. Might be disappointing to people but it was just press-and-go from what I saw.

Two-Face, Penguin and I believe Black Mask based sidemissions. Firefly boss fight as people already know.

A weird side effect of how they're doing the game is that all the people on the streets are thugs, including the people driving around in lovely town cars or whatever. I saw someone ram into a car and send it skittering before like eight thugs piled out like it was a clown car. It was sort of hilarious honestly.

Thats cool. so what do the thugs do poo poo on the street or do they just kinda stand around like in city?

• Locked thread