Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Robin :allears: It's like a non-stop symphony of *KLONK* *KLINK KLONK KLONK*

Robin is my favorite character to use in the brawler maps. Catwoman's climbing feels off to me whenever I switch to her.

Copperhead looks like they wanted to have Catwoman as a boss. That's not a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Just people going through Batman's Rogue Gallery, I'd imagine. Also, as long as Shiva is in, they can pick Batmite and Penny Plunderer for all I care.
It'd be pretty cool if a Mad Hatter encounter caused Batman to deal with Bat-mite.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Batman: Arkham Academy would translate so well. Bane could lead the jocks, Riddler the nerds, Penguin the preps, and Larry becomes the Joker.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Shumagorath posted:

I'm reserving judgement for the actual game (pre-ordered at 25% on GMG) but the new Batman and Joker actors sound like they're trying really hard to be Kevin and Mark but it's not working.

Not to mention that the Joker alone is supposed to be enough to demand Batman's full attention. Now you've got Bane ragdolling him through masonry as a mild distraction, when in Knightfall dude had to break out all of Arkham and have Batman chase them down for weeks before he was burnt out enough to be beaten. Arkham Origins, as it's been framed as a "Year Two", really juggles too much. Arkham City was right on the edge but like the first game suffered from a Bane ripped straight out of Batman & Robin.

I could see a Bane fight where he chased you like Killer Croc in the sewers of AA but the second part of the fight ended up in a mudpit like the Mutant leader in DKR. I don't know how annoying navigating around the mud would be but the fight could also work as a QTE challenge.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I would rather the Riddler stuff didn't have any story attached to them or at least the story City gave him. City making him not-Saw was a dumb idea because I always considered him a criminal like a bank robber with flair but not a cold-blooded killer. Asylum's optional trophies highlighted how mentally messed up Nigma is for spending all this time leaving poo poo around that would potentially never be found but how he's ultimately chump change compared to the bigger players in Gotham.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 18, 2013

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I love Riddler's character and performance. I just think they tried to make him a serious threat in a lazy way, with the threat of implied violence.

I'll say this: beating all of that smug fucker's challenges in City was worth it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MMAgCh posted:

Combat as Catwoman was fun, but just about everything else about that particular character was awful and I'd be pleased if she never showed up ever again.

For me, switching between Batman and Catwoman back and forth would throw me off because I was used to moving around as Batman so then traveling as Catwoman felt like your wings were clipped.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Beeez posted:

The issue would be that then the people who are more fans of the other Leaguers would be complaining that Batman's the main focus. Some fans are adamant Batman shouldn't even be a member of the Justice League. I agree with you that it'd be awesome, but I bet it'd piss off a lot of people.

They could make a game where he breaks off from the League and starts up the Outsiders. He could add other characters to his group like Shepard in Mass Effect.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerusalem posted:

It played very intuitively for me, everything felt natural and the more I played, the more it became second nature. I imagine I'd feel the same way if I'd used the controller from the start, and that I'd struggle if I then made the switch to m/kb.

Part of the problem is that I'm so used to the game I want to play it in hard mode, which removes all the on-screen prompts.

Just play a couple of challenge maps so you can internalize the combat and stealth controls. That's what I do whenever I pick up the game and forget how to Batman.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
It's a shame that Robin and Nightwing weren't playable in the actual city. Even if there was nothing to do in the city it still would have been fun to do travel all over the place with different characters.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Disco Cat posted:

If they were really to make a new playable character it would be more significant to remove and add abilities that require the player to change their strategy, rather than re-animate the same set of actions.

Like Catwoman, right? She still had to switch up between pure melee and Predator combat but she didn't have the same gadgets as Batman and I think she was meant to be weaker in raw strength but faster in hit rate.

I'd like to see how Nightwing would travel in a city environment. He doesn't have a cape so I'd like to see how he would kill his fall or drop from a building onto a guy at street level.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Beeez posted:

It's my understanding that they're just gonna handwave it with a different name, the Grapnel Accelator, but have the gameplay be exactly the same as in City because they realize in this instance gameplay's probably more important than that comment by Batman in City. So never fear.

Origin's Batman already looks more armored up than Asylum's or City's.

I completely forgot about it being experimental.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Beeez posted:

Well according to the developers, they designed him to look less sleek, like his armor has more parts to it and is more noticeable and bulky.

I feel like there's going to be some in-game explanation for why he opted for a sleeker outfit.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

miscellaneous14 posted:

There's always the option of finding a pal to play with on Team Batman, and dedicating every game to finding ways of trolling the people playing Arkham Shootymen.

I think multiplayer could win everyone over if you can troll other players the way you can troll computer enemies in Predator maps: Down one of the guys and have everyone inspect to find explosive gel detonating in their faces.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I heard the game is set in Christmas as a Die Hard reference. I really hope there's some Die Hard parallels to the plot.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Was the Batman Begins tie-in any good? Did Rocksteady take some concepts from that game and expand on them?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

seal it with a kiss posted:

The multiplayer customization is actually kinda cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-IB0E6a49g

I can't tell the difference between the default Origins Robin skin and its Origins alt. I know there's a difference but it's flashing too quickly for me to pin it down.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think what made Asylum great was how much effort they put into Scarecrow's fear gas mindfucking Batman. That they reenacted the opening scene of the game but switched Batman and Joker's roles was amazing to me because it could have felt superfluous to the whole game but it worked. City definitely expanded Batman's abilities for the better but the story has that too-many-cooks rouges quality to it and while it was interesting to focus on more obscure villains like Hugo Strange, having him work for someone else really weakened his appeal as a serious threat. It's like how Bane just works for Talia in Rises: all of his posturing and rhetoric in the entire film didn't mean anything because he's just another lackey for that other guy.

I liked how Rises ended, but I was annoyed with a few things. This movie felt like it was the closest thing anyone was ever going to get an actual Dark Knight Returns adaptation, but they never fully commit to it. What advantage did Batman have against Bane in Round 2? He was broken for months and trained like crazy but he's still has to fight a man in his prime. Was it that in their first encounter he was just really rusty at fighting dudes and fought someone beyond his depth at the time? Also, Rises was trying to remind everyone that there was a Batman film before The Dark Knight, but I always thought it missed an opportunity to bring back the Begins outfit. His Dark Knight suit looked cool, but I always thought it's too visually busy and not so iconic as the first suit. When Bane took him to the prison, he could have burned his suit in effigy to further break Gotham while Bruce watched from the TV. Returning to Gotham he'd have to modify the older suit to have a more flexible neck but the extra padding could help absorb the brute force he'd endure from Bane's attacks.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Crabtree posted:

DC has a good cover for stories like this, Elsewhere or One Shots.:eng101: Bonus points if they even introduce the DLC stories as an in-comic book what-if versions of Arkham Origins.

I would love a goofy-rear end camp Batman game that where he spoke as stiff and cheesy as Supes did in that Man of Steel Xbox game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-NOUg0AG0
Or at least another Mad Hatter sequence in that vein.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The Animated Series episode Mad Love did a great job showing Harley's descent and how painfully possible it is for her to shape up if she really tried. Injustice had Alternate Earth Harley meeting another Joker and realizing how terrible he is.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Terminally Bored posted:

No, the area is bigger this time around. There are two main big areas connected with a huge bridge. One is a part of a city with very tall buildings, reminiscent of Batman TAS and 1989 movie. The other is the original area from City but changed in few ways. The predator sections are open like in City.

Batman feels a bit slower this time around, his fighting is not as fluid as in Asylum but his moves feel heavier. The gliding is much better than in City though, it is easier to gain speed and height from the divebomb now.

Have you encountered the martial artist enemy type yet? Does countering his counters feel frustrating or does the timing feel right? I guess his reduced movement is related to his bulkier suit.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

GuyCastle posted:

It's definitely not you, the timings on most moves are slightly different. In AC, you had a lot more leeway when it came to timing your counters, but now you have to almost presciently press the counter button.

Is the window for countering just smaller or do you really have to predict who's going to strike first before the alert even pops up?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I cannot wait for this game. :( I feel stupid for getting it from Amazon and doing free shipping. Ah well. Halloween will be the best Halloween ever.

So is the general goon-consensus that it's better than City in terms of gliding and has a better story than Asylum?

I'm getting from Amazon with free shipping as well. I hope I get on Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DrNutt posted:

I mean, it kind of makes sense, since the idea is that Croc is getting more feral as time goes on, and this is a prequel. But I'll agree that it's still a little disappointing, because as cheesy as the AA boss fight was, it was still scary as gently caress the first time I played it.

In AA, I didn't realize Quickfiring a batarang would automatically hit his collar so I spent a lot longer than I should have in those sewers manually aiming at his collar.

• Locked thread