Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Robin is in the game and there is 3 on 3 on 2 multiplayer as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRYHYJPhhxc

Not exactly excited. I think this could harm the single-player just to cater to those who kept whining about "no multiplayer".

Robin is in, despite Batman being newly into his career. I guess this is okay because multiplayer is a thing now.

Instead of the solid reviews from Asylum/City, I could see this game getting mediocre views just because of multiplayer being stuffed in to appease everyone.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/31/be-or-beat-batman-in-arkham-origins-multiplayer-mode/

quote:

Despite holding a career-defining grudge against them, Batman has just gained a few bullets for the back of his game's box. Batman: Arkham Origins will ship with a competitive online multiplayer mode developed by Splash Damage, the studio behind Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Brink.

So it sounds like no, it won't harm the single player. And come on, complaining about the continuity of including Robin in a multiplayer mode, really?
It sounds like it would be a lot of loving fun to me, and is almost exactly how I'd want an Arkham multiplayer mode to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TL posted:

I love the idea of a team deathmatch where there's this stealth vampire who you have to avoid while killing your opponents. I can't wait to have a bead on a thug and poo poo my pants when Batman strings me up from a gargoyle.

Exactly! What's not to love about that?
I hope they keep Disarm and Destroy in, I would totally just sneak up on a dude to destroy his weapon and grapple away.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIMaIjN8FE

Watch what happens when Batman gets a hold on Bane in this one!

He... dies?

quote:

Edit3: Watch all the game tutorials here, before they take them down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WJZbRhK1OU

It's kind of lame that you can move freely about as a thug with Thug Vision on. That pretty much renders all of Batman / Robin's abilities useless since you can see them anywhere, doesn't it?

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 8, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Skychrono posted:

Just look forward to the next-gen Batman Beyond game they'll announce at the next Comic-Con guys. Imagine the next-genniness of it. Mmmm.

This is the only thing I want more than a competently-designed Arkham multiplayer.

Zsinjeh posted:

e: ^^^^^^ Man don't play with my emotions like that, Batman Beyond would be amazing

I'm going to be cautiosly optimistic about the multiplayer being added and pray really hard it's not going to have any sort of multiplayer achievments tied with it. I've worked hard to have 1000 gamerscore in both Arkham games and I did that poo poo alone.

Being Batman is all about being depressed as gently caress about your parents and working through it alone while the entire world is out to kill you :argh:

Well I don't want to be Batman, I want to be The Goddamn Batman. Bustin' criminal skulls and giving no fucks, and walking away self-righteously because I didn't technically murder them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Iacen posted:

If I wasn't looking at the video, I think I could have convinced myself it was Hamill.

Hammill's Joker is great and iconic and all and I guess you want at least a soundalike for the Arkham continuity, but how long does it have to be after he retires before people quit loving blubbering about how anyone who isn't him or doesn't try to sound like him isn't the "real" Joker?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Affleck. Ben Affleck is the next Batman.

:thejoke:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Why do you act like this wouldn't be the best game ever?

Seriously, I would play the everloving poo poo out of Arkham Bully.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ZearothK posted:

It also explains why the Batman refuses to kill. If the spoiled children of the 1% didn't drive him to murder, there isn't much that the mentally ill criminals of Gotham can do.

Why haven't any Batman comics covered that period anyway? For all I know, witnessing the death of his parents instantly aged him 20 years.

Hakkesshu posted:

I straight up think they ruined the collectible aspect in City by never knowing when to say stop. There were so many Riddler tokens it was ridiculous. Collecting them ended up feeling like busywork, and it never felt as creative as in Asylum. I really hope they scale it back for this one.

Arkham City is one of the few games where I actually liked the collectathon aspect enough to get them all, myself. Diff'rent strokes I guess.

Shumagorath posted:

I'm reserving judgement for the actual game (pre-ordered at 25% on GMG) but the new Batman and Joker actors sound like they're trying really hard to be Kevin and Mark but it's not working.

In case you guys don't browse SA-Mart too often, there are like 3 or 4 different people who have gotten their hands on download codes for Arkham Origins that come with video cards and have been selling them for $25 - $30 a pop. I dunno if there are pre-order bonuses or what, but odds are none of them are as good as 50+% off.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 18, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of how they were all NIGMA IS DANGEROUS PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE, because my favorite goddamn thing in the entire series is how the Riddler stuff in AA consisted of you being such a badass that you tracked him down and stopped him without even breaking your stride. You defeat the Riddler with less effort than it takes to take out the trash, because you're the goddamn Batman. You solve puzzles like that for breakfast.

It seemed more like "NIGMA IS A SMUG PRICK PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE" to which I was more than happy to oblige.

Terminally Bored posted:

Not sure if this was posted but here's an AMA with two Arkham Origins single-player devs: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1olm9z/we_are_eric_holmes_and_ben_mattes_game_devs_of/

Speaking of difficult achievements:

I foresee a lot of save-scumming in the future of that achievement.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TechnoSyndrome posted:

There's no saving in I am the Night mode, that would kind of defeat the whole point.

I don't see anywhere it says you have to complete the whole thing in one sitting. That would be ridiculous.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Eddain posted:

After reading through the Injustice comics and seeing the in-game cutscenes I really wish there could be a Batman-focused game that involved more of the DC universe. Move outside of Arkham and Gotham City and include allies outside of the Bat family. Something like a Justice League game but with Batman as the central character.

There's Lego Batman 2.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, going by the last two games you should have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into at this point with a third game using the same engine. Unless they massively poo poo the bed then odds are you'll like the single player in this one if you liked the single player in the others.

Jerusalem posted:

It played very intuitively for me, everything felt natural and the more I played, the more it became second nature. I imagine I'd feel the same way if I'd used the controller from the start, and that I'd struggle if I then made the switch to m/kb.

Part of the problem is that I'm so used to the game I want to play it in hard mode, which removes all the on-screen prompts.

I played Asylum on PC with mouse/keyboard and City on Xbox with a controller.

The controller is so much better.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 20, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

No lie, I'm only getting Origins, because I can split a preorder for it on PSN on the PS3, so I only need to pay $30 for my copy. With the PS4 launch 2 weeks after and the deluge of holiday titles, I would really skip it at full price, and see if it hit below $30 on Black Friday.

I would say odds are against that happening, but I did get a few games like Borderlands 2, rear end Creed 3, and Xcom for $25 last year when they'd only been out a month or two.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beeez posted:

I guess it's up to personal taste, and maybe you played City more than me, but I personally don't feel burnt out on it like you do. That being said, Asylum's more enclosed, creepy atmosphere was really cool, even though I felt City was still more fun overall.

I played the everloving poo poo out of City and I'm still good for more, regardless of which style it follows (my money would be on City, it makes more sense given what I've heard about it). I would be a bit more apprehensive if I'd paid more than $25 for it, but at that price I can think of it as a decently sized Arkham City DLC.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

redbackground posted:

Because I'm a dumb dummy--how does this work with just buying the game off Steam?

If it's like other WB games, you log into WBID in-game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm one of those sticklers for not being spoiled, I stopped looking at Origin stuff when the Achievments started getting leaked. I want to be as surprised by the story as possible from here on out, thanks for spoiler-tagging :)

Yeah, I've managed to get this far without spoiling myself, so let me get through four more days.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Orv posted:

Doesn't Scarecrow also use the "What are you?!" line in Begins?

E: Not Scarecrow. Someone uses it somewhere in the trilogy but I can't remember.

A random punk says it in Batman '89, you might be thinking of that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Crappy Jack posted:

Her backstory had her as a psychiatrist who worked with the Joker, who eventually turned her to his side, more or less. It's not certain whether or not she was any good, but there you go.

She has some audio logs in Asylum IIRC, and I'm pretty sure in either Asylum or City you can find her degree on a wall somewhere.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Doctor Albatross posted:

Oh man, we're close. It's 7am here right now, and it's going to unlock at 2am tomorrow!

6 PM in God's One True Time Zone! I didn't know Steam was unlocking it early.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BreakAtmo posted:

I still haven't gotten to play Injustice. Gonna get the PS4 version for sure.

Is it going to be different from the PS3/360 versions somehow? Aside from better graphics I guess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

^That would be...insane, yeah.

Did the Steam unlock time just have 6 hours added onto it out of nowhere for anyone else?

Those motherfuckers! I was looking forward to playing this after I get off work.
Where's an emoticon of Batman shaking his fist when you need one, I guess this will have to do :arghfist:

I bet you were behind this, The Joker One Three Eight.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, you need to use the vpnu trial account, the vpnc account doesn't have the Australia server.

Thank you, fellows. It's only appropriate that you use a couple of Batmanesque tactics to get to play your Batman game.
Do I have to stay VPN'd in after everything is unlocked?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 24, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I figured I would be fine playing this on Hard since I batmanned the poo poo out of the previous games on the hardest level, but is it just me or are the spidey sense indicators very misleading? If I'm in the middle of beatdowning a dude and another guy comes at me, most of the time I'm still getting hit even if I mashed Y way ahead of time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GuyCastle posted:

It's definitely not you, the timings on most moves are slightly different. In AC, you had a lot more leeway when it came to timing your counters, but now you have to almost presciently press the counter button.

I actually figured it out, I forgot I had my PC passing through my Revue, which causes a massive video delay. I plugged it in direct and now it's time to teach these lowlifes some god damned bat-respect.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bluedust posted:

Why is my game in 3D monitor mode without any (that I can see) way of changing it?

If you find out, let me know, I actually wanted to try the 3D mode out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rookersh posted:

The Electrocutioner Boss fight alone is entirely worth $50.

That really was a great boss fight, my favorite so far.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

randombattle posted:

So for the random crimes that are big brawls should I not punch out the cops too? Did I miss something cause I don't seem to get a good grade when I run away after all the criminals are down but that seems odd that I should be running around punching cops trying to stop crimes.

I dunno, but I think you're safe to keep punching people in the face until it does the slowmo shot signifying the end of the battle. I have yet to see cops in the fights but I'm not that far in yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gunder posted:

Found a show stopping bug in one of the side quests. When you're sorting out the radio tower in the same part of the city that contains the GCPD building, you enter a small room, the only exit from which is a small vent high up in the ceiling. After bat-clawing the vent cover off, you grapple up into the vent only to find that you can't actually make Batman climb up and into the vent, instead he just clings uselessly to the outside of the vent like he's hanging from a ledge. Tried reloading the game several times, same result every time. Luckily, it doesn't checkpoint you as soon as you enter that room, other wise i'd be stuck in that little room until they patch the game. As it stands I was able to reload the last checkpoint and just continue on with the main story line.

MrBadidea posted:

Just got hit by this. I spent about 10 minutes farting around checking the keyboard bindings trying to see if I was missing something obvious. Then I spent another 5 minutes wondering if this was some rear end in a top hat anti-piracy showstopper, like what was used in Asylum, and the game was flaking out thinking my legit Steam copy was :filez:

Quoting this from a few pages back because I just ran into this one, in case anyone else does and is wondering what the gently caress Batman's problem is.
Fortunately you can fast travel to get out of there.

edit: derp beaten two posts up :downs:

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 26, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrunkPanda posted:

Based on what I've heard from reviewers, it seems like they literally took Arkham City, changed the name to Arkham Origins and made absolutely no other changes, but called it a different game. Is this what happened?

Yes, it is literally the same game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah, half of the map is Arkham City before it was walled off.

It's similar, but not exactly the same.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrNutt posted:

With the martial artists, there's an attack where there are two distinct spidey sense lines rather than the usual one. You have to hit counter twice to counter them. Yeah, it's hard to see. No, it's not actually explained anywhere in the game. I had to figure it out my drat self.

It explains it to you when you first encounter them, it even goes into slo-mo so you can see what to do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, has anyone else noticed how hosed over the counter trigger seems to be? I'm pretty decent at nailing the click when the opportunity comes up, but it seems like it'll still fail an annoying amount of times out of 'x' number of times, and I'm using a rather new mouse.

Yeah, definitely happening to me where I get hit even if I mash Y when a guy has spidey senses over his head but I can't tell if it's buggy or just one of the following:

- Guy offscreen also trying to hit me and I didn't hit the counter button enough times (I've been hit by some motherfucker who Gumbys in from offscreen to punch me so many times it's loving ridiculous)

- Less invincibility frames for certain moves in this game vs. Arkham City (the cape stun seems to have a much smaller AOE, for one)

- Can't cancel out of certain moves to counter as easily as in Arkham City

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Grey Fox posted:

Biggest difference I've noticed after playing City for the past week to prime myself for Origins is that the thugs tend to bunch up a lot more in Origins, almost to the point where they're clipping through each other when they're right on top of you. Unlike City, Origins doesn't seem to grant you the same leeway and Batman just kind of careens into a blob of guys, only hitting one and leaving you open to getting smacked around. The dodge doesn't seem to be as effective in Origins, either, leaving you more open to attack.

I'm definitely not experiencing any of the "counter button doesn't work due to timing/whatever" issue, though. Playing both on PC with an Xbox controller, if it makes any difference.

edit: also playing on Normal difficulty

I'm playing on Hard, odds are they're faster. I'm also on PC with an Xbox controller.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlestonJew posted:

I cannot seem to do a Hanging Ledge Takedown no matter what I try.

Does it give you the prompt? I got the prompt for a silent ledge takedown in front of the steel mill and when I pushed it Batman did nothing and it disabled all my attack buttons so I couldn't do anything but walk around until I fast traveled to somewhere else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I think you just need to be more vigilant with counters than you do in the others, because you cant fit in as many attacks without getting hit in this one.

You can't cancel out of moves into a counter like in City either, and I've noticed that if you attack a guy who's already got spidey sense lines over his head, he will get priority on the hit every time. That keeps messing me up because it makes it a lot harder to get a combo started.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Doctor Albatross posted:

Common bug. No way to do it at the moment.

Well there is some physics glitch that launches you up in the air so you can get in from above the roof. Someone posted a video of it a page or two ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

^^^^
Oh, well that's goddamned stupid.

doctor 7 posted:

OK this is weird, I can't seem to find out how to disassemble weaponry in fights. Where the hell is it in any tree because fighting 8 guys with 5 shields and 3 knives is kind of annoying.

I dunno, I don't see Disarm&Destroy in the combat tree anywhere, but it is listed in that one upgrade that lets you bank a special move. Maybe you need to enable that one to get it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jokerfish posted:

I'm throwing this here in case anyone here has had issues with the WBID account linking and getting your bonus batsuit. I posted this in the steam forum but am just copy/pasting for sanity. It works on PS and XB versions as well!

SOLUTION FOUND for those who made or logged into a WBID account and never got an email or need to change the stored WBID login. I racked my brain since launching the game on thursday night trying to figure this out.

WBID covertly links your Steam/XBL/PSN profile to an account and their email autoresponses are buggy at best. Follow these steps:

Go to https://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/wbid/ and login with the account you made that is currently linked to your console/steam.

Go to the little gear icon in the upper right-hand corner and go to account settings. You may have to choose a new forum handle, so what.

UNLINK your system from your account. This is the only WB site that lets you do that. (???)

From here you can either take another shot at entering the same email in-game for another try at the autoresponse or simply create a new account at a new email address and use that one.

I created a new account with my Gmail email and was able to authenticate immediately, also relogging with my first account that never recieved the email worked upon the second try. (stay away from AOL and Hotmail accounts, people seem to be having the most issues with those.)

Good luck!

Thanks for this. I just unlinked everyone who linked with the goon account, so you guys should be good to go.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beeez posted:

Lacey Towers.

FYI, on the map screen you can select your mission and make it set a waypoint marker for where you have to go. Main story markers should be on your hud by default as a green "!" anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Esroc posted:

I don't remember Arkham Asylum being this bad (I never played City) but Origins feels almost like a rail shooter. Other than punching bad guys I'm just being herded from point A to point B via ceiling ducts and ridiculously out-of-place trap doors.

I mean, I'm having fun...I guess. I just don't really feel like I'm playing Batman so much as a cosplayer wandering through a fun house.

Asylum is easily the most linear of the three.

• Locked thread