Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Terminally Bored posted:

reminiscent of Batman TAS

You have, in 4 words, got me SUPER hype.

(I've been watching lots of B:TAS in preparation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've spent today loving around in City, sharpening my bat-skills.

Using every gadget to sett up a fight with 4 or 5 gun-wielding thugs without taking a single point of damage still feels incredible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Why is this not unlocked on Steam yet for me.

Have you restarted Steam?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Deathstroke fight ruled. I was hoping for just a straight-up mano-a-mano fight with him, and that's what I got. The actual fight animations were gorgeous too.

Really, yeah, a lot has been rehashed. But hell, I loved the gently caress out of Asylum and City, and so far I'm loving the gently caress out of Origins. Why should I give a gently caress about a review?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Not sure how spoiler-y this is, but it's game-breaking until it gets patched, so I feel I need to warn people.

DO NOT TRY TO SOLVE THE TOWER PUZZLE IN BURNLEY.

You will be trapped because there's a glitch in it right now that means you can't complete the puzzle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Out of curiosity, isn't this a large problem? So far I haven't been able to get into any of the towers until the plot demands it.

Or are only the plot important towers locked, and the rest open whenever?

e: For those encountering odd gameplay bugs outside of that, have you verified your files? If you unpacked through a VPN, there's a good chance some files might have been unpacked incorrectly. My AV also flagged a few files from the game as it was unpacking, so if you have a lovely AV, it might have just autovaulted them without telling you. Verifying the game this morning had it redownloading 17 files, which fixed a few of the bugs I had the first time around.

You can get INTO the Burnley tower (at least at the point of the story I'm at) but you have to climb through a vent during the puzzle, but you have to grapnel up to it. When you do, you can only hang from the vent, not actually climb into it, and when you started the puzzle, the entrance you used to get in locks behind you. So you get trapped inside and the only way out is to load an earlier checkpoint.

One negative point I've found: Gliding feels...off. I dunno what's changed between AC and now, but I much preferred AC's gliding. Plus the no-fly areas seem much more abundant and obtrusive. More than once I've been gliding to an objective and I've just...run out of places I can grapnel.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 25, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

PC too. So yeah, might be a PC-only problem.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

seal it with a kiss posted:

Anybody figure out how to do critical strikes? It talks about enabling a hint helper but I'm not finding anything.

I think it's the same as the last games. Press the attack button JUST as your previous attack connects. It takes a fair bit of timing and practice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I wish I wasn't so clued up, because the Harley Quinn reveal would have BLOWN MY MIND if I didn't guess it as soon as I saw her.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Honestly, I dunno if I'm near the end of the game. I mean, the way the story is going, I think I am, but I've not even SEEN Deadshot or Shiva yet. I've got rid of Firefly, and just resuscitated Alfred using Electrocutioner's gloves :swoon:

The Remote Claw makes the best noise ever, by the way.

"Phump-fssss-phump."

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, I've been hearing that this game is sort of more of the same with regards to City - are there any steps back in here, or is it more refined? (Or neither, I suppose) That includes story, though don't spoil me when you answer. If the game's as good or better than City, that won't be much of a problem for me.

I'd say, bar a few niggles, it's on a par with City. The story is also, in my opinion, the best of the series.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The difficulty is really nice too.

The second time you go into Blackgate, when Joker takes it over, there's a HUGE brawl where it's 30+ inmates vs you. What's great is: It doesn't feel like artificial difficulty. It took me 4 tries to get past it, but I didn't feel cheated after each death. Every time I just felt like "If I tighten up my control and work on my reversals, I'll be able to take this.

Oh, and I finished the last inmate, who had a shield, with an aerial attack with shock gloves active :black101:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The third bossfight with Bane, after he injects himself with Titan :stare:

There's more tension in that one fight than in THE ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME.

It also does ANGRY BANE more justice than any other representation I've seen. He is a loving MACHINE.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Just finished the main story.

I feel I won't spoil anything if I just say: Sweet jesus that was good.

Now to get started on ALL THESE SIDE MISSIONS.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I am here to cloud your judgement and to tell you all YOU NEED THIS IN YOUR LIFE.

It's probably my GotY, and like I said, I've not even started on the side missions.

chaosapiant posted:

Is it just me, or does this game run better on higher graphic settings than Arkham City did? I have a 660ti, and can turn everything up with the exception of AA which is FXAA high, and the game runs like butter. AC was constantly chugging if I had DX11 tessellation activated. Man this is good so far.

I'm on a fairly average gaming PC (i5-2300, 7850) and the entire game bar one scene was like smooth as silk. For some reason the only scene that dropped my FPS was the first time you meet Barbara. There's not really anything that would obviously cause it, but hey, it's a short scene.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 25, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Sedisp posted:

Killing Joke good or video game good? If it's the former I'm out sixty bucks.

Not quite Killing Joke good, but that's like asking if every new movie is Citizen Kane good. If I'm comparing it to the level of arcs, it's around Long Halloween or Under the Hood level. So fantastic, but not quite Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns or SHoSE.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ShineDog posted:

Tracy's voice o_o

Oh god. That ACCENT.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Can anyone thats unlocked Bane's bio tell me what it says and/or anyone that has fought him tell me how he's presented in the game?

I've been curious about that since his file in AA said he had broken batman's back, but this is only five years before that an meant to be his first (?) appearance. Obviously Knightfall doesn't happen in this game but I wanna know how competent he seems I guess (like is that a realistic thing for him to do a year from then) and if he's on venom yet or not.

He's way up there with Knightfall Bane in terms of competence. He's certainly not just a mindless brute.

Yes, he's on Venom, but he's naturally huge too.

Unrelated to Bane:

I've still not seen ANYTHING to do with Deadshot or Shiva.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 26, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Haven't you uh, beaten the game?

Yup. Neither appear in the main story beyond being introduced at the beginning, and being present at meeting of all the assassins.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Whelp do you think they are side content you haven't found yet, or DLC?

100% sure they're just side missions I've not discovered yet.

Kin posted:

I've just started getting into the game and finally hit the city proper. All of those riddler signal things popped up and i took care of the 10 of them but then nothing happened?

I noticed there were some more conventional riddler things scattered about but they aren't on the map. Like the previous games i'll presumably get a map at some point right?

Was something supposed to happen once i took care of those 10 signal things or have i jumped the gun a bit or something?

Destroying the 10 uplinks per district is necessary to finish the Riddler storyline.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

Post credits spoilers (this spoils none of the story for those curious): Holy gently caress suicide squad with Deathstroke spinoff/dlc, gently caress YES.

I'm not ashamed to admit I actually announced "OH MY GOD THAT'S AMANDA WALLER" out loud when that happened.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Shockeh posted:

I miss the Riddles in each area, why aren't they there WB Montreal? :smith:

This is honestly what I miss most. I loved the riddles and references.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm surprised I've not heard much praise for the Red Hood segment. Because sweet merciful christ that was cool.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

futureproof posted:

Anyone manage to get that One Million skin? I never got the confirmation email.

I got it. It looks drat cool too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Kin posted:

Which tower is it you're supposed to avoid in the PC version until we get a patch?

Burnley, the south-east district.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Solomonic posted:

the final boss (man that was tense)

The final boss made me feel more like Batman than any other moment in the series. Having to stalk around in the shadows, taking Bane by surprise, was great, and he was legit loving scary.

Also, tip that I didn't realize until just before the final boss: If you run and slide into a vent grating, you'll go straight through it instantly.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Crappers posted:

I know this has been asked somewhere in this thread but I can't for the life of me find the answer. Where in the actual gently caress on Penguin's ship is the weapons cache that needs to be deactivated? Thanks in advance for any help!

It's a tricky one to spot but it's in the shipping container hanging above the deck. Use the batclaw to open it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm missing one Most Wanted file, I dunno what it's even meant to be.

So far I have, in order:

Enigma
Anarky
Penguin
Deadshot
Mad Hatter
Bird
????? The mystery one.
Shiva
Black Mask

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I'm IN the post-game. Hell, I've finished every other Most Wanted, bar Riddler.

God, as good as this game is, someone needs to take a bat to the knees of the entire QA team.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Found the missing Most Wanted!

Finish all the Case Files to unlock it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have: Dixon Docks Shooting, Burnley Hit and Run, Coventry Fire, Jezebel Plaza Fall, Crime Alley Shootings, Coventry Tower Deathtrap, Helicopter Crash and Lacey Towers Murders. Which am I missing and where do I find it? Is it Cyrus Pinkney?

Just keep doing them, you unlock a few by finishing certain ones.

Also, I didn't realize Finishing Riddler's Most Wanted involves finding ALL the datapacks. This is gonna take a while.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Really, what I can figure is:

If you prefer story over gameplay, Origins.

If you prefer gameplay over story, Asylum.

If you want a Jack-of-all-Trades, City.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

You all know this is how the series should end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Solomonic posted:

I beat the game, have finished all but one of the Most Wanted cases (the final one) and all the character profiles except the one in the top right are unlocked. That one locked profile is driving me crazy, I have to find it. :psyduck:

I never really knew how much I wanted Deathstroke: The Game before that cutscene. Plus whoever else comes along for the ride. Hell, put Harley Quinn in it, it's not like she's doing anything important post-Arkham City.

So, in series canon, we have Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger and Rick Flag as members. I dunno if Harley would be, but if she was, it'd be great, but those 4 would be decent enough.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh my god the data pack on the Soder Cola building.

I CAN SEE IT BUT HOW THE gently caress DO I GET UP THERE

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

more friedman units posted:

Am I crazy, or are there nearly no stun baton goons? I swear I haven't seen one yet, and I'm far enough into the main story that there are snipers and gun-toting goons everywhere.

They only pop up really close to the end of the main story.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Also, one of the data packs in Diamond District requires the fully-upgraded Disruptor. You need to disrupt 3 jammers, which you can't do until it's fully upgraded. So now I need to grind up FIVE levels. :fuckoff:

Edit: OH YOU CLEVER loving GAME. You can ALSO unlock it using the cryptograhpic sequencer if you've upgraded it's range, by standing far enough away from the jammers.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 28, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

FallenGod posted:

Oh boy this fight with Deadshot is getting annoying. Take out his first wave of goons then beat him down three times and immediately hide, because another wave of goons has appeared with zero warning! Take out this wave and beat him down once and immediately hide, because he'll phase through your cape stun to take a hostage! Now you get to fight a jammer wave and if you make any noise ever for any reason the hostage dies and you lose! I guess that leaves only the silent takedown, since literally everything else that you do results in a dead hostage. :rolleyes:

There's an easy trick to this fight. Ignore the goons. They spawn infinitely. It's like the Catwoman/Two-Face fight from the end of AC. Just keep hitting takedowns on Deadshot, then once he takes the hostage, just get him with a silent takedown.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

There, finished all the Riddler stuff, and with that, finished all the Most Wanted. The New 52 skin is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hav posted:

Subject change; Anyone claiming that they 'lifted' the city directly from AC really needs to load it up and take a look. Without getting into a lot of detail, Origin's Gotham is a shitton more vertical and _builds_ on AC rather than replacing it. The differences are subtle in places, but go take a look at actual landmarks in AC and see what they did. I'm actually impressed with the continuity.

I was genuinely pretty impressed by the fact that the path Bruce takes up the Ace Chemical building at the start of City is still intact in Origins. Like, there's no reason to use that path, but the fact that they kept it in 1:1 was a nice little detail.

• Locked thread