Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I think using vehicles manually would kind of detract from the overall Batman feel.

He's supposed to be a seamless fighter and everything, but if you have manual control of the vehicle, chances are that you could crash or drive into a lake or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just got what you meant. I had completely forgotten about that.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 22, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Achievements for Origins were leaked recently: http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/201...other-assassin/

Apparently, Edward Nygma will become/already is the Riddler in this game and Lady Shiva is the sixth assassin.

jscolon2.0 posted:

The new trailer shows Batman fighting a crowd of Copperheads. Since Copperhead can't clone himself/herself, I'd assume that that's either Mad Hatter, Scarecrow, or Cheshire in action.

Pretty sure that she just drugged him with poison.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 21, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arkhamverse Forums posted:

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has announced that Batman: Arkham Origins will be receiving a season pass for downloadable content.

The Batman: Arkham Origins season pass includes the Gotham by Gaslight and Brightest Day Batman skins, as well as the New Millenium and Infinite Earths skins packs.

The pass also features Arkham Origins Initiation, a new mode where gamers will play as Bruce Wayne before he became Batman. This includes a "final test to prove himself worthy" in a battle against his teacher, Kirigi.

That explains where Batman got his detective skills.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And they revealed the seventh assassin tonight: The Electrocutioner (Lester Buchinsky). Batman will be getting his Shock Gloves from him.

First one I was unfamiliar with.

Additionally, Troy Baker reads some lines from the Killing Joke: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10...origins-villain

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 13, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, and there's a trailer, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8P550ipB5s

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I'm loving how this game is becoming more like Metal Gear Solid 3 with every new trailer.

We already have a group of assassins with crazy abilities, among them:

* the best sniper in the world
* a lunatic wielding a flamethrower who loves screaming
* a woman who is a master of physical combat and has ties to snakes
* a foreign guy who can punch people with electricity

All we need is someone to be The Pain. xD

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 13, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

All eight assassins have been revealed.

Aside from the six that have already been officially announced, here are the last two.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, according to someone who got the game early, Killer Croc is one of the assassins and the first boss of the game. The fact that the progress meter at the top is only at 26% also seems to hint that they're an early encounter. And even if they aren't, Bruce gets a datachip on the assassins at the beginning of the game and would unlock all eight profiles immediately.

I haven't been able to find any concrete evidence aside from hearsay, mind you.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 20, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Someone put up some boss fight clips on Youtube.

Killer Croc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFlapZCP2E

Deathstroke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzfGmWsgbM

Electrocutioner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nYpNInf1E

That last one isn't the real fight. There's a proper rematch later.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 21, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it's apparently not too long after the opening.

I added two more boss clips as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Just a precaution in case some people here aren't clicking the links.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh balls.

According to someone near the ending, not only is the Joker the main villain, he's actually the one who hired the assassins. Black Mask apparently is his hostage for the whole game and has a minimal role.

And he kills Electrocutioner.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was expecting that, but I didn't think he would take over the hiring assassins aspect of the plot as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Believe it or not Ubisoft actually tried with Batman: Vengeance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YPXI9YbJc#t=2m40s

It's a third person beat'em up but you can aim/use all of the gadgets from first person and basically play it like an FPS if you want. Oh hey an indestructable Mr. Freeze that you have to whittle down by triggering a bunch of things in the environment. Vengeance is an interesting game, it's almost incredible but has just a bit too much stupid stuff and was a bit too rushed (the controls in particular were very awful, a later port to Gamecube is the best version of the game as it has numerous fixes to the controls and a bunch of other bugs). You can't kill anyone in it either, there's a finite amount of enemies in each area you have to handcuff or use stuff in the environment to keep them bound, otherwise they all just wake up eventually.

There's also the fact that the final area has a secret mission you need to complete that the game doesn't really tell you about. If you don't complete it, you get a bad ending.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In regards to the Riddler: he is in-game, and there are collectibles.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

An Arkham Riddler spin-off would be pretty cool. He already has the gadgets and intellect similar to Batman. He'd be a bit fragile in a fight, of course.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

What are you guys expecting in terms of reviews for this game? I'm guess in the 7-8/10 range.

The game got a 7 on some website just a while ago.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Here's something you'll probably appreciate from the Mobile game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I always liked the idea that Batman was actually thrown in Arkham city with the rest of the crazies, and the whole story was just his mind trying to justify it or whatever

That makes sense, especially with how snappy he becomes to Oracle during the side mission with Hush when she suggests he might've gone crazy from being drugged by Scarecrow or Mad Hatter on such a frequent basis.

Neo Rasa posted:

It looks more like the female doctor that was working with Zsasz in Arkham Asylum.

Maybe it's pre-villainy Harley Quinn?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Personally, I'd like it if there were three Batman games made by WB Montreal and three by Rocksteady.

Of course, that would lead to the inevitable debate about which three games are better.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Unfortunately this was after she was already established as her own character who became self-dependent and she re-fell in love with him after he beat her up. Injustice's story fittingly enough does no justice to Harley and she just acts Joker's girl until he attempts to kill her for the umpteenth time and she's finally like "Wow, what an rear end in a top hat."

Yeah, for all of the trailer hype about how independent Harley was, she was blindly subordinate to him even though she was trying to become a hero and go straight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In regards to the plot twist I mentioned, it turns out that it doesn't actually occur at the end of the game, but towards the middle.

And the plot actually isn't all that bad despite that fact. It never really feels like Joker takes screentime away from Black Mask. I mean, he does, but it's not the Hugo Strange treatment from Arkham City.

The game's story is really fantastic. Probably the best in the series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes. Some times double punch.

Rendering criminals impotent so that their child can't go into lives of crime as well?

Truly, he is the hero that Gotham deserves.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Keeku posted:

Ever since I saw a 17 minute preview walkthrough of Arkham Origins I have wanted to do this:

"I won't stand a chance against that many armed men".
Challenge accepted.
http://imgur.com/Mkoh2fq (linked in case considered spoiler)

I have been waiting to see if this was possible. I am so glad it is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It'd be great if one of the future Arkham games added a Boss Rematch/Boss Rush Mode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Under the Red Hood changed quite a few things from the original story and it's better for that because the original story sucked.

On that note, isn't the Joker officially an Arab now? I seem to recall that happening in a Death in the Family.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Grump posted:

Just bought Arkham Asylum GOTY after realizing I have no great PS3 games. I was sort of at this game because it got uncanny praise and never really looked into it, but I watch Yahtzee's review, and he liked it, so I figure it's got to be good.

Right?

I'd say Arkham Asylum's only flaws are

1. Boss fights are mostly dealing with a boss while also fighting the same random thugs you've beaten 100 of up to this point.
2. Lack of a postgame.
3. Once you beat it, there's no real reason to replay it unless you really like some of the story events or are trying to get certain achievements.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Totally, they explain it in City but it'd be much cooler if they'd actually show Joker breaking off a bottle and stabbing it into Penguin's eye.

It wasn't him that did it. Penguin already stated that he cut out the guilty party's eyes and threw him onto a freeway to die.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arkham 4 will feature Hush as the main villain, only for Joker to claw his way out of hell just to strangle him to death and make Batman pay attention to him again.

The sad part is, I could honestly see something like that happening. Somehow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

One thing Arkham Origins confused me about was the fact that Black Mask seems to be Batman's oldest rogue, yet he has no presence whatsoever in the other games.

Heck, he barely has any presence in this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ShineDog posted:

He shows up in city, it's pretty blink and you'll miss it though. Right at the beggining.

Well, yeah, I know he shows up at the beginning, but he only shows up at the beginning. He has no real presence in the game is what I mean.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

My only real hope for the Arkham series is that they eventually do Arkham Beyond.

This would be the best thing. Especially if they get Inque, Blight, Spellbinder, and Shriek in-game.

Sober posted:

I know it's old hat but same, and I'd for once not have the game address (other than maybe in the data logs) his goddamn parents, either because the situation "warrants it" (Alfred dying flashing to him over his parents' bodies) or because hallucinations. Not that I think there's anything wrong it with but it feels too easy to do.

I agree. At this point it's like "Yeah, okay, I get it. His parents are dead."

ToastyPotato posted:

His mask was in one of the doctor's offices, and there is a profile entry for him that explains his origin and other details.

To be fair, Catwoman's gear can be found in Arkham, and she's not crazy at all.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 9, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Batman Forever was pretty good. I think it just gets a lot of flak because it was succeeded by Batman and Robin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

And the wonky out of character Two Face. And the neon aesthetics.

Yeah, in retrospect, there were a lot of things about Batman Forever that were pretty goofy. Commissioner Gordon was absolutely useless and much older than usual, Riddler complains about not being able to kill Batman but never actually tries to kill him, etc.

But it is balanced out by some other good things like the Riddler's riddles having an overarching hidden message, Robin's desire for revenge against his parents' killer fading away, Bruce getting over his parents' death, etc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Once again, the animated series did it better. Batman isn't really Bruce's way of dealing with his parents' deaths, it's pretty much his way of shutting out all of the pain and disappointment in the world. He only actually decides to become Batman after being brutally jilted by the woman he was going to propose to. He surrounds himself with children and teenagers who idolize him and, when they grow up enough to question him, he drives them away. By the time we get to Batman Beyond he's a broken, bitter, crippled old man living alone with his dog, a creepy old recluse who still calls himself Batman in his head. His only path to redemption is to eventually pass on the mantle of Batman to someone who is almost literally himself. No happy ending, no running off to Italy with Selina, nothing. I mean, Jesus, even Frank Miller didn't go that dark.

And the worst part is that the series seems to imply that Dick is going to end up just like him.

As I recall, Dick actually replaces Bruce as Terry's field operator in the comics.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phylodox posted:

They may not dwell on them every episode, but if you look at the series as a whole they're very much there, especially in Batman Beyond. In retrospect, I cannot believe how loving dark they were allowed to get with that. Batman is explicitly shown to have left a trail of broken, dysfunctional people in his wake, enemies and allies alike. I mean, Jesus, the happiest ending was Mr. Freeze's because he got to die a heroic death. Try watching the last season of the animated series after finding out that Dick struck out on his own because Batman stole his girlfriend, who was Batgirl. That whole season becomes really kind of uncomfortable.

The happiest endings were actually for:

* The Ventriloquist, who manages to successfully reform from his mental illness involving Scarface.
* Terry McGinnis, who becomes Batman, but still manages to have his family, Bruce as a father figure, and a soon to be wife in Dana according to the JLU episode "Epilogue".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phylodox posted:

The whole point of Batman and his villains is that they're all crazy, Batman just happens to fall on the right side of the line. A whole lot of storylines involve Batman's villains highlighting this similarity, and Batman's saving grace is that he realizes that he's dysfunctional and chooses to use his dysfunction to achieve good. Him being insane doesn't preclude the possibility of him being heroic, but when you get right down to it, the writers who really seem to understand Batman seem to understand that he's got a pathological need to control the world around him, to the point that it drives the people he cares about away from him. I think that "defending the innocent and punishing injustice" aren't as much Batman's goals so much as they're his symptoms.

You saying that reminded me of the profile Dr. Young made on Batman.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just saying that the ideas you posited were similar to Dr. Young's notes.

Edit: My mistake. Didn't see that Beeez had responded to you before me.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 10, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

I remember a few months before they formally announced Origins, they hinted that it'd take place in a Silver Age setting. They technically did do that in terms of where it takes place chronologically, but I was really hoping they would actually make it Silver Age as hell, with a bunch of really bizarre villains and Batman using all this weird pseudo-futuristic technology.

So basically a mission in a game like that would be

"Crime in Progress: Crazy Quilt obtained magical powers and is robbing the Gotham National Bank on a flying carpet. Use the Bat-Fabric Destroyer to do the cad in."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

Oh great, more video game anime tie-ins.

DC Animated Films have a tendency to be pretty good, so I'm excited, actually. Just as long as it doesn't involve the Joker.

Off topic, I kind of want Anarky to come back in the next Arkham title. At the same time, Gotham's not as corrupt politically in present time as it was in Arkham Origins, so perhaps he wouldn't be as effective a character in Arkham 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Gotham City successfully turned a neighborhood into a massive prison camp filled with the city's most dangerous criminals and had a military force providing the security and you think Anarky wouldn't have a thing to say about it?

True, but Sharp is out of office and Strange is dead.

Then again, with all of the chaos seen in the aftermath of City, chances are that he could come back to do something.

• Locked thread