Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A couple particular combat mechanisms that I'm finding especially frustrating:
  • Shield goons don't sync up their attacks with the normal rhythm of combat. I'm not sure if this is because their animation occurs faster and with less notice in AO, or because their behavior isn't scripted according to the same conditionals as other enemies-but I've literally been knocked out of combo in the middle of a counter animation by a bum with a car door running up and sort of tripping at me.
  • Similarly, the system doesn't seem to autotarget non-shielded, non-armored goons in ambiguous situations. This is pretty fatal to my attempts at a 20-crit combo, and it means there's no way I'll even bother with the combat challenges.
  • Combat encounters, consisting of scripted sets of enemies, routinely overlap in geographic location, and the system does nothing to deal with this. Experience and rank displays will overlap with ongoing combat, and enemies will spawn inside scripted crime in progress objects, such as cars, making harming them impossible.
  • Also, I'll second all the other combat complaints mentioned in the thread- the camera is too close to the action, enemies snap to your position to complete an attack with less notice, and enemies generally respond to and interrupt far more animations, limiting their usefulness. I've probably gotten a clean cape stun off less than 10 times in my playthrough of the game so far, because someone runs up and kicks me before the animation terminates.
This is just the beginning of the problem list, and it only covers active combat. The design and scripting problems in the other parts of the game are horrendous and pervasive. Dear goons, whatever you think of the game, try to imagine how much harder it is for a player for whom Origins is their first Arkham game- almost nothing is explained or signposted, so the introduction of a new game mechanic is, at best, provided during the game over screen tooltip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ImpAtom posted:

Nope, PS3. I have a theory there may be some weird glitch on the PC version which is screwing things up because a lot of what people have complained about I just haven't encountered. I've gone through entire fights without hitting evade and haven't had any trouble.

(The biggest problem I have is that they swapped the shoulder buttons from City so I keep turning on detective vision when I try to use a move and vice-versa. It's really annoying and you can't swap the controls.)

Man, I hope it's just a version-specific bug. I can promise, as a 100%er of the previous games, something is seriously borked in the combat flow of the PC version I'm playing- and that's before my game saved my position as falling into the void inside a building, with no escape or recourse. PROTIP for PC version players- do not use the steam screenshot function, I think that's what caused the buffering problem that screwed me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Re: Enigma- bugs have borked my save so I can't complete the sidequest to find out what the big secret is, but it's a side plot point in Arkahm City that Riddler doesn't know who Batman is- Strange uses it to reassert superiority over Eddie, after Eddie reveals he knows about Strange's bat-costume fetish.

Riddler is a psycho and needs to be stopped. The same is true of Anarky- folks, his statements are meant to seem semi-rational and appealing, but they're also incoherent and nonlinear, intended to suggest psychosis. His rambling post-arrest commentary is a great example of this, rapidly moving from alienation to rationalization to paranoia to rage. It's worth remembering that, in order to give Batman a chance to save things, he attempts to detonate massive bombs on the same sort of scale the Joker was, in inhabited areas...bombs he has surrounded with his own followers, who judging by their conversations are not at all aware of their impending martyrdom.

There's totally a place for a strong political criticism of Batman as moral actor(although usually not a fascist one; fascism is more limited in methodological definition than state violence), but it's not present in this game. If you're taking the side of either of these openly murderous crazy people, you've projected other depictions of these characters over and on top of their actions in the confines of this game- you've literally lost the plot.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 31, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

For those like me experiencing really bad broken combat, or seemingly different combat systems between challenge rooms and main game, I have a theory:

The SP game may be interrupting or delaying processing of the combat to check or maintain some other value(probably something to do with loading/rendering a larger area), screwing with calculations of distance and other combat features. This would explain the gumbying and bizarre counter interrupts, to say nothing of the timing problems on counters. It would also explain why some PC players are having problems and others aren't- different hardware setups may not be encountering this latency issue.

VVVV ToastyPotato, try some of the combat challenge maps. Does combat feel more natural for you there?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 2, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I wonder how much freedom the devs had in terms of the rogues gallery for this game. Writing/planning around fights between a relatively green Batman and Shiva(punch bullets and people in two, best martial artist ever) Deathstroke(able to hold his own against like 10 of the JL in open combat for a time) or Firefly (flying explosives baddie) seems very difficult to plan, at best.

Also, for an example of effective papering over a development error, note: in the cutscene initiating the Deathstroke fight, DS pulls out his sword. The devs decided to emphasize the rod, so as soon as the game switches to in-engine he promptly puts the sword away and pulls out the staff again! The cutscene for the meeting at Royal Hotel also has the assassins that were already available as optional sidequests present, but only on TV monitors, so that the devs could save on explaining their presence/absence/departure without rendering multiple cutscenes.

For terrible papering over a development error, note:Bane in the final fight, makes repeated open references to Batman's secret identity in a room filled with criminals, or Batman calling Alfred by name in front of conscious goons or civilians.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 5, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Well they were probably more concerned about trying to make a fun game than stress about exact power levels of fictional characters.

I totally hear you, what I mean is that from a gameplay and narrative perspective it's hard to execute on them well. It would be hard in a narrative sense to convey a fight against Shiva the infinitely-better-combatant-lady, and the result was that she was a generic martial arts mook with a lifebar. Similarly, the devs couldn't do anything particularly interesting or nuanced with the Firefly fight- the rest of the combat design setup wasn't intended for a quick flying enemy, so we got a quicktime event. As one of the classic "evil batman" characters, there was a lot of potential in a deathstroke fight. Deathstroke was better than the other two, but imagine if his fight had come later in the game and involved his arsenal a bit more, instead of serving as an early counter and stay-in-melee-range tutorial. These enemies this combat system seem like a very poor match.

Boss design in the Arkham series is an interesting beast. I think the Freeze and Solomon Grundy fights are the only ones that are nearly universally liked. The predator and combat systems are either remarkably inflexible when it comes to designing boss encounters, or both studios are remarkably unimaginative.

Maybe this is worth a general discussion prompt:
In one sentence, how would you have implemented a bossfight against the following Batman villains(or others not appearing in the games)?

• Joker
  • Bane
  • Poison Ivy
  • Zsasz
  • Riddler
  • The Mad Hatter
  • Freeze
  • Penguin
  • Solomon Grundy
  • Ra's Al Ghul
  • Clayface
  • Professor Strange
  • Firefly
  • Deadshot
  • Deathstroke
  • Cobra CommCopperhead
  • Shiva

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 5, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RatHat posted:

Shield guys aren't too much of a problem once you realize you're invulnerable when doing the Stun+Jump attack on them.

You're invulnerable for the Jump, but definitely not the Stun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Electrocutioner is plot, Deadshot is sidequest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

One thing Origins does with snipers that City was very careful to never do was have two snipers facing each other, guaranteeing you'll be sighted. Origins has this arrangement as part of a larger setting that lets you get hit by 4 snipers and 3 gun-toting goons in the same location. the facing snipers technically cycle through facing different directions, but the window is about ten seconds, which is absurd.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Jesus dude are you just mashing your fat greasy hands against the controller and hoping for the best or what??

My copy of AO, on PC, has several of the problems RadicalSoma has encountered. Delaying a dodge on Bane's charge until he's almost on you doesn't seem to help, because he'll turn on a dime to make the charge connect, as if the game had predetermined that you are going to be hit. Deathstroke also has an animation that intermittently triggers for me with no available counter, meaning it's a guaranteed hit. As mentioned earlier, it looks like there's a bug on some folks' PC copies that either is screwing up priorities in the combat calculation, or somehow a DRM flag that's supposed to make combat unplayable is activated.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Orgophlax posted:

I have a feeling a lot of the issue is people trying to use normal combat timing, which shows the counter icon from the very beginning of someone's attack. But you have to wait for the actual counter icon to appear with Deathstroke. A number of Deathstroke's counters appear pretty late, especially for the zoomed in close encounter bits. Like his first little jump he does in that cycle doesn't show a counter animation until he starts coming down. PLUS is slows down, so it fucks with the timing a bit. If you hit counter anytime before the icon appears, the counter is blown, and you'll get hit.

That may well be the case for me with Deathstroke- I won't pretend I'm great at being patient with that fight. At the same time, it doesn't excuse all the other problems I and others have had with combat, most of which look like some sort of position prediction problem.

By the way, the hallway immediately before Bane's I-know-who-you-are room has newspapers on the floor referring to the identity thief. Reused assets(of which there are an inexplicable ton), or easter egg? You decide.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing hurts more than seeing what could have been. There are moments where it's clear a couple people working on Origins were inventive, creative and competent. Check out the character trophy for Enigma, more precisely the bundle of keys on his belt. One of them is a proto-riddler staff.

Another hidden extra: immediately after the joker reveal, during/after the predator room in the bank, you can activate detective mode near the bank manager and determine her cause of death, identifying joker toxin. Batman even has some lines about how, if he'd known, he could've saved her. Something was probably cut/added at that point so that the whole detective scene became an easter egg instead of mandatory.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 9, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

So I just completed every challenge and my game progress is at.... 99%

I've completed the game and new game+, done every mission and side mission, solved all crime scenes, completed every case file, done every challenge.... what am I missing? I looked in the character trophy page and four trophies are missing so I assume it is something to do with that, any ideas? Do I have to complete I Am The Night as well? I assumed that was independent of a 100% runthrough of the game?

I haven't played through the challenges as Deathstroke yet, that doesn't have anything to do with it, does it?

Have you cleared I am the Night mode? Anarky tags and Pinkney plaques? What are the trophies you're missing?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't done I Am The Night yet, but I have gotten all Anarky tags and Pinkney plaques. I just looked up to see which ones I'm missing, and it seems there is a trophy I get for completing I Am The Night, and one for playing multiplayer (what the hell, I don't WANT to play multiplayer, why is this attached to the single player progression?) but I'm also missing the one you get for completing all challenges. I haven't done the Deathstroke challenges so I guess maybe those count as well? I don't think I have the "Judas Deathstroke" trophy either, which I guess is attached to those Deathstroke challenges?

Your 1% is almost certainly just completing I am the Night mode- the other trophies won't count, although I think the deathstroke missions(at least the predator ones) are a blast, and worth doing.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 10, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Orgophlax posted:

OK, another question: The one challenge I'm on is to do 20 critical strikes in a free flow combo. That's the "press attack at a constant beat" like the previous games, not the critical counters ability, right?

What Stroth said, but also be aware that the cue for the critical strike is later than before- essentially while Bats returns to an idle animation. I found a great way to guarantee crits, too- alternate between strikes and dodges and you get a crit every time. With this mechanism, getting the 20 hits is easy if you can find a moderately large batch of foes, as in many early-game crimes in progress.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Another easter egg: Harleen Quinzel's character trophy is holding a clipboard. My resolution is too poor to read it clearly, but the paper on the clipboard is about project: Suicide Squad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Several folks have mentioned dying in I am the night mode, all in the exact same room in the exact same way. Definitely something I'll have to be on guard for when I give it a shot. Another character model/trophy callout- Harleen's blouse has diamond buttons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

techknight posted:

I figured that was less of an easter egg and more because they only had the one clipboard asset from the post-credits scene.

I think it's in the easter egg category, if only because there are so many other little things in there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Lending my support to the course of action above. Maybe the by the time you play through AA and AC, the remaining major bugs in AO will be fixed, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's a location scripted in the story for the propane tank-3 challenge- on the way out of the steel mill, after taking out the assassin you fight there, a group of thugs appears in an ideal position to apply this challenge, with propane tank in position and everything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's likely because it would require rigging and animating a custom skeleton model for a character his size. Do Penguin or Croc get skeletons?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

- Air attack has been nerfed but still has its invincibility frames on shield guys. They did nerf it but it seems like a reasonable nerf encouraging you to use it in the right places.

This is the big one, telling me something is wrong in some PC copies. I can start an air attack with no goons aggro or approaching aggro, and have a goon perform the entire windup and attack on me during the final part of the animation, when I'm unable to do anything. I suspect that speed and location adjustments aren't being applied uniformly among enemies- it would also explain why the shield goons are such a menace; they're literally moving faster than they should, effectively snapping into a connected hit location. Again, all of this is only experienced in the story setting- challenge maps work perfectly fine, without any of these inconsistencies.

I've noticed that the game seems to be loading a different engine for the challenge maps, which may be why things are operating differently there. It may also be why there's no unlocking dark knight system ranks in the challenge maps.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Folks have figured out how to mod in Joker, Deathstroke, Red Hood, Bruce Wayne, and what seems to be a beta version of the darkest knight armors ingame.

This video has the details.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Obviously not, since he barely lifted a finger when Joker killed the Electrocutioner

That happened literally 40 floors away and in a different room. Batman became aware of what was happening when the body of the person in question came through the ceiling.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

HenessyHero posted:

Why the gently caress am I better at this game when there's no counter icons?

It's likely that the lack of focus on counter icons encourages broader awareness, and massive sequence bias- you've already had a whole game's worth of practice once you start icon-less fights.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FYI there are three different endings to the DLC campaign if you get <9, >9, or all 15 medals.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

doctor 7 posted:

I just got that.

Holy poo poo.

It gets better. If you die to the shark quicktime event in AC, the game tooltip actually tells you to use your shark repellent. It took a while for folks to find it because the QTE is so easy and obvious to complete.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

HenessyHero posted:

Welp, a worst nightmare challenge didn't save even though the game told me I got it and I exited much later so now I'm totally locked out of completing it at all as I'm already on NG+.

As fun as ACO was that's a dealbreaker. Interest completely dead.

You can still get it permanently on Dark Knight.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Make those playable Hush side-missions where you're trying your best to make Bruce look like a huge douchebag.

An arkham sequel that begins with Bruce Wayne wanted for murder, with his assets seized and police wandering the manor, getting close to the grandfather clock, would be a great justification to limit equipment access and act as an initial story driver. It would also give an excuse to tool around the Palisades, possibly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jetfire posted:

Something I came across while doing the data pack sweep: In the Royal Hotel's parking garage (Data Pack 15-8 by this guide's count): There's a data pack in a room that I had to enter using a duct from above. There's a security station right next to it that I can hack with the code "carcrash" but I don't know what it opens?

It either opens the intended way to that objective (you came in from the wrong direction because you had more equipment later in the game), or it's a means to get to another one of the things you were sweeping through for.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jetfire posted:

Bah, oh well. Oh by the way, holy poo poo what a bad idea to go into the Hotel again. Hey, there's only one route through and you have to go all the way back to the beginning to get out, unless I'm missing something? The end of the level is locked off and when you're grappling between the two towers the game doesn't let you just glide away into the city.

You're not missing anything. It makes you appreciate all the planning that went into avoiding that sort of outcome in AA and AC- the interiors of the areas in all of those games were partially built to minimize backtracking after collectibles are obtained.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Has there ever been any behind the scenes stuff that explained the design decision to have endless displays and dioramas behind glass in all the Arkham games? I like them, but it seems odd that all of the criminals in the games take over a location and then also take the time to set up various displays and dioramas in said location (not to mention why are there display cases on every every available surface).

Aside from the very valid reasons mentioned above, it's largely asset reuse. It has advantages from a crude design perspective, too- you have an excuse to show off something cool that can't be interacted with.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

You aren't. You are fighting more aggressive thugs and have counter timing closer to sleeping dogs which forces you to using proper timing in combos rather than just hit counter and use the HUGE window like in AA and AC. I never had a problem with it, but that's because I just finished Year of the Snake before trying the game :shrug:

As a reminder, some players are finding combat in AO is downright glitchy in terms of counter and combat windows. Windows are inconsistent, or counters or other actions appear to be ignored by enemy AI. Several moves are completely unsafe because they can be interrupted by normal enemy attacks, meaning they can only be performed when all other enemies are stunned- otherwise, enemies will "gumby" (teleport or slide) into a position to hit you when they would normally be out of range.

I get that you're good at the game. You are also not experiencing the same gameplay others in the thread are.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A general note on combat in AO: any normal strike occurring after a dodge is a guaranteed critical hit. Great for boosting combo or getting a particular Knight challenge.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sober posted:

Is this in story/free roam mode? Is this on hard/NG+/IATN?

Because it might be pretty much that anything harder than normal, they slap the "increased aggression" modifier to the entire game. Challenge mode is unaffected unless you are playing with that modifier on. I had been just mindlessly playing combat maps for a while in AO and never found that issue until I started playing the campaigns that featured it and lo and behold, the behaviour everyone had issues with enemies (sliding across to hit you, coming at you very aggressively without much time to breathe, etc.) more or less work the same.

It's not difficulty setting related, but it also doesn't appear in challenge maps. The theory I proposed before was that something in buffering or loading the open environment was causing the effect, or that space/memory budgeting on some systems made the developers implement a shortcut on hit detection in graphically intensive areas(my system is at the lower bound of those that can run the game). I've personally never observed it in any indoor area or location that loads separately(like the rooftop fight at the hotel).

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's true for all of the games, if I'm not mistaken.

That's interesting, I wonder if it's by design.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sylphid posted:

I think my single most disliked Campaign in Arkham City was the one with Catwoman and the predator challenge at the top of Wonder Tower on Extreme. Not only are her medals there hard, but it's at the end of the campaign, so your margin for error is very low. Catwoman has the least HP and can get gunned down very quickly. Basically her only realistic safe zone was the empty space above Strange's office, and even then that's not great.

I only ever did the single maps, not the campaigns. A note on Wonder Tower- the statues ringing the outside of the area are also safe, and can be used to pull enemies off the ledge to begin your assault.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hey, just because I don't expect Batman to be a violent sadist doesn't mean that I'm not going to be a violent sadist. :v:

There's a real note of truth here. Batman being sadistic in cutscenes has a way of making me dislike the writing that his brutality in gameplay doesn't achieve. Of course, maybe that's because he's not threatening people with incredibly gruesome, painful death in your average punching session.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nthman posted:

I seem to remember there being a finisher where Batman 69's a thug and punches him in the dick. Please tell me im not just being a perv.

You are correct. Batman is an ace that way (I think it's the same animation for head, butt or groin- a way of saving resources).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Someone tell me: Do I have to beat Joker's Carnival with three medals as part of any achievement? If so, then I'm giving up trying to 100% the game. Because that ain't happenin'. Getting hit once knocks your bonus back to 0, and they throw everything at you all at once, and I can't keep track of twenty guys when the camera keeps spinning around on its own.

If you're referring to the DLC map in City, I believe the answer is no. It's the hardest set of challenge medals to get, though, so as a pro completionist, I have a strategy to recommend: Grind away at it until you get the three medals. Every other combat challenge map in the game will be pie afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Enemies will slide across the room to hit me when they're well out of range. Fun fact - you have no invincibility frames when you're in half your canned animations. So you can't cancel out of the aerial attack once you've run up a dude. I was about to get it, but I got hit by a barrel thrown from offscreen (because the camera insists on whirling all over the place) and it kinda killed my will to play.

Are you playing Origins? I've only had the problems you folks are describing in Origins.

• Locked thread