Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So is the button response on the 3DS game absolutely awful, or do I just suck? It's bad enough that I'd think my 3DS was broken if not for the fact that every other game works fine, but Batman only seems to respond to like one out of three presses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The problem I see with adding vehicles is it would require making a world big enough to justify them, which would result in a loss of detail in the environments they build unless they wanted to spend 10 years in development. Even in Origins other than the bridge you're only moving around like 20 square blocks, in most cases it'd be quicker to grapnel boost your way around than drop to the ground and call the Batmobile. I'd rather they stick to tighter but really nice looking environments like Asylum and City, even Origins started to feel kind of unpolished in some areas, like ledges you can't grapnel to for no apparent reason and giant twenty-story walls that block you off from leaving the city but don't make any logistic sense.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Looks like I have the excuse to upgrade my graphics card I've been looking for. I'm also glad to see from that link above:

quote:

The classic counter system also returns. Rocksteady doesn't want to overcomplicate it as it thinks the strength is in the simplicity
I never really got used to Origins' timing system, and I didn't really want to because I didn't want to overwrite my muscle memory from the previous games. It's bad enough that Origins doesn't recognize any mouse buttons above three, which has led to me always messing up my grapple now because my reflexes forget which game I'm in.

Also, since this is the culmination of the Arkham story line, I'm calling it now, Arkham Knight will be Quincy Sharp. The concept art of Arkham Knight as a big muscular guy is a red herring, he'll actually still be a little fat guy in ill-fitting armor, like the guys at the beginning of Nolan's The Dark Knight.

Also, it'll turn out Quincy Sharp has been The Joker all along.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Origins is good and worth playing, just not quite as polished as Rocksteady's games. It's still kind of buggy and they've flat-out said they've moved on and aren't going to patch it anymore, but they're not game-breaking bugs. Just your cape will spaz out once in a while, it won't register blocks or target enemies right so you'll lose your combo, things like that. To me the worst part was the tiered upgrade system, which makes you do dumb challenges or work your way up dumb challenge ladders to get specific abilities rather than just be able to buy them flat-out with XP. It's a fun game, just annoying at times.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

Well I mean they had a chance to use the time before Asylum to do good with him, but they rushed to get him to Asylum status for some weird reason. This means that he's been locked up in the years following this game up to Asylum.
I got the impression he was a relatively new arrival to Arkham before Asylum, and that him showing up and giving them access to Venom samples is what jumpstarted Titan. There's a video on a monitor at one point early in the game where Dr. Young's giving a voiceover about how "the arrival of Patient X was the breakthrough we needed" or something like that. I've been replaying Asylum again because I didn't know there was a way to transfer your saves from the GFWL to the GOTY versions, but now I'll try that. Thank god now I don't have to do those horrible AR gliding segments in City again.

It really would have been a lot better if they'd left Bane out of Origins and made him the focus of the sequel in a Knightfall-minus-the-fall adaptation. Origins has the best version of Bane hands-down, but he still comes across with confusing motivations. To me breaking into the Batcave and mortally wounding but not killing Alfred is in character for Bane, he just got the timing wrong at Batman got back in time to save him. He's into messing with Batman to weaken him first, there was no reason for him to hang around and fight Batman right then. But the game doesn't give him any reason for coming to Gotham to face Batman in the first place (other than the bounty, which Bane clearly viewed as either a cover/bonus). The comic Bane came to fight Batman because he viewed him as his only worthy adversary and was shown to be pretty obsessed with him for a long time beforehand, game Bane seemed to have that same level of obsession, but they never tell why. You just kind of have to assume he has the same motivation as comic Bane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ha, the Batmobile has rear-facing seats in the back like an old station wagon.

• Locked thread