Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lady Shiva has to be in. I don't know how they'd make a fight with her and do it justice though. It obviously has to be a one-on-one, close quarters battle; and it should be more intimate and detailed than the current combat system. Press 'Y' to dodge the best martial artist in the world just won't feel cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Iacen posted:

But honestly I would like it if the Joker wouldn't be in a future game at all. I'm not that into Batman, so I don't know who could be a worthy adversary, but I would like an alternative to the Joker.

I think the creators or the Arkham games have done a well enough job that they should be making some new villains of their own.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

We almost got that actually.

The only way this would have been good is if Ra's al Ghul, already 600 years old, was forced to attend high school with them as well.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Batman '89 was a masterpiece. I saw it with my family on VHS, back when watching a movie in any form was an ordeal, and we all hated it. 8 years after that, and until this day, it is one of my favorite movies. We all wanted to see a more adult version of "BLAM", "YOINK", "POPPO"; and we didn't get it. We got something new. But once I got over that, I saw how brilliant the confusion of 1939 cars in a 1989 world was, and how having Prince do the soundtrack was so between comical and serious, and how amazing the movie was just as piece of art with some action and the best depiction of Bruce Wayne as Batman was. No movie has ever shown Batman/Bruce to be the driven psychopath that was shown in that movie. No other movie besides the Burton Batmans made you feel like Bruce is Batman's alter ego instead of the Nolan films where Batman is Bruce's(seemingly reluctant) alter ego. I wish this were the thread were I could write more about it, but it isn't.

Batman 89 is a combination of Beetlejuice and a decently gritty Batman comic. How can you not think that is magnificent?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 23, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't even know how his filmography is even possible. Like how do you go from Beetlejuice and Batman '89 to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland.

How did Spielberg go from Jurassic Park to War of the Worlds, Indiana Jones 4, and whatever the gently caress else he does now. Once you make your money, you have your money, and if making a little bit more doesn't cost you anything then why not do it?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

I like Tim Burton and all but I didn't think he's in the league of Spielberg in terms of being able to rest on his laurels and just make boring movies for the rest of his career. Or maybe he is?

Speilberg didn't really have too many movies that stand the test of time. All of his hits were Ke$has that never adapted(except for the first 3 Indys). At least Burton's movies were weird as gently caress, and were at least risks. I respect lovely Burton much more than I respect lovely Spielberg.

Spielberg was always generic, but the best at being generic. I'm not taking away from what he did in the 80's, but it was more of him going with the flow better than others than actually being good at making theater. Problem is that he stuck with what he knew when the world moved onto to better things.

I still haven't seen Lincoln because sucking historical figure's dicks is so 1980s.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Doctor Albatross posted:

Launch trailer just dropped! I'm not going to watch it because I've already seen way too much coverage, but enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoTAQr1jBuY

Since you are avoiding the footage, I'll spoiler this about it.

The one second we saw of Batman catching Lady Shiva's kick, going to backhand her, and her dodging that is awesome. I want that the be the most bad-rear end, realistic martial arts fight ever put into a game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ok then. It's nearly baseless since we only see 1/4th of a second of this scene in the trailer, and that we don't see her in the other games, but does anyone else think that the woman at 1:49 may be Leslie Thompkins?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Trickjaw posted:

Not a sign of the Joker. This could go either way. He's not one of the assasins, but we know he is there. He has got to be there for something

Current rumor, from those that have been playing the game is that The Joker is somehow operating on information sent him from the future, about his death from the disease caused by the titan formula, and that he is manipulating the entire scenario in a way that young Batman will have enough experience by the end of the game to take on Bane. He then creates a situation where Batman must kill Bane, making certain that Bane cannot be experimented on in Arkham Asylum, thus never giving The Joker the opportunity to kill himself with the titan formula.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I can't loving wait to fight Lady Shiva.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just want to say that I will be playing this game as soon as I get off work in 12 hours, and I thank you early players for being so respectful to those who cannot yet play by proper use of spoiler tags while also hyping the game with precise language. Gentlemen all around.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just beat the game. I now know what every review meant when they kept saying it was more of the same, but wrote as if that were a bad thing. The video game journalists were correct, but they have no grasp of the language.

What they should have said is "Goes out of its way to be more of the same". This is a good game. Many people should buy it, and many people will enjoy it, but the uselessness of this studio seeps out continuously. Every cut scene skips frames or audio on my xbox, every fight ignores at least one obvious controller input, and there are times when the camera is your worst enemy.

I'll say that the story is good for portions of the game. In fact, there are portions where the story is the best of the trilogy at times. There was a point where I hated the story, and the story brought me back into really, really loving the game again...and then made me hate it again, and I eventually settled upon strongly disliking the story permanently.

Many parts of the city are reused from AC, but that is a good thing. Gotham city is Gotham city. It should look like it did in previous iterations. But that's where the honorable reuse of previous game assets ends.

Gameplay wise: you get glue bombs that act exactly like freeze bombs, they haven't learned that having goons fight along side nearly every single boss is not fun, and (End game spoiler) They even have Joker read a poem over the credits(instead of singing a song). The similarities between this game, and the previous games are blatantly forced.

In the end they were so afraid of being less or more than their predecessor that they became the scarlet kingsnake to the Rocksteady coral snake.

The game isn't lazy, it isn't bad. It's just cowardly. There is an aura of cowardice about this game, and while the reviewers smelled it, they did not know how to put it into words.

By the way 7.5/10. I'm happy with my purchase.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

A couple particular combat mechanisms that I'm finding especially frustrating:
  • Shield goons don't sync up their attacks with the normal rhythm of combat. I'm not sure if this is because their animation occurs faster and with less notice in AO, or because their behavior isn't scripted according to the same conditionals as other enemies-but I've literally been knocked out of combo in the middle of a counter animation by a bum with a car door running up and sort of tripping at me.
  • Similarly, the system doesn't seem to autotarget non-shielded, non-armored goons in ambiguous situations. This is pretty fatal to my attempts at a 20-crit combo, and it means there's no way I'll even bother with the combat challenges.
  • Combat encounters, consisting of scripted sets of enemies, routinely overlap in geographic location, and the system does nothing to deal with this. Experience and rank displays will overlap with ongoing combat, and enemies will spawn inside scripted crime in progress objects, such as cars, making harming them impossible.
  • Also, I'll second all the other combat complaints mentioned in the thread- the camera is too close to the action, enemies snap to your position to complete an attack with less notice, and enemies generally respond to and interrupt far more animations, limiting their usefulness. I've probably gotten a clean cape stun off less than 10 times in my playthrough of the game so far, because someone runs up and kicks me before the animation terminates.
This is just the beginning of the problem list, and it only covers active combat. The design and scripting problems in the other parts of the game are horrendous and pervasive. Dear goons, whatever you think of the game, try to imagine how much harder it is for a player for whom Origins is their first Arkham game- almost nothing is explained or signposted, so the introduction of a new game mechanic is, at best, provided during the game over screen tooltip.

Fighting it so terrible now. After every punch I throw I have to wait half a second to make sure that nobody is going to punch me, since I cannot interrupt my punch animation to counter. The flow is just dead. The more I play it, the more I realize how much this ruined the game.

I don't swoop down and fight gangs for the fun of it any more. Instead I try to avoid them like some normal non-bat person.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 30, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bushmaori posted:

Joining with the gripes about the camera, Jesus fudging Christ. I know nothing about programming, anybody know if its hard to program the auto camera so it contains a view of all combatants within x meters or something? It seems like something that could very easily be remedied with a tiny bit of thought and I'm pretty sick of getting hit by people out of screen and having the camera rotate up against a wall then stick there giving me a really good view of Batman's feet.

I once had a fight where 10 seconds of which was the camera being positioned on the ground and looking directly up through Batman's crotch.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

This is why I included the all-important "when the comics are being shittily written" part! I call it the Jeff Loeb Law.

Ha! I remember reading "Hush", and thought it was terrible that Catwoman/Huntress, or whoever hit Shiva with a chair, and easily won a fight against her. So I looked up who wrote "Hush" once I saw your post.

Jeph Loeb.

Any they really should just make a game out of the Hush story line because 100% of Batman's villains show up. Like 2 villains per episode.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 1, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've been playing the challenge rooms, and I'm finding that I fight much better in them than in the main game. It seems like Batman can counter in mid attack much easier than in the main game. I went up against a group that contained 2 shields, 2 body armors, and 1 huge guy that needs the triple cape stun to hurt; and I kicked rear end until the camera started bugging out. This combination would destroy me in the actual game. In addition, I saw a double counter that I've never seen in the main game where Batman suplexes one thug into another.

I even tried not using any of the special moves to simulate that it is impossible to get your meter up in the main game since the main game gives you few normal thugs near the end of the game to see if I was just fooling myself, and I still did as well as I used to in AC. I know that combat being different in the challenge rooms would not make sense. Has anybody else experienced this?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

RadicalWall posted:

If it makes you feel better you never confront or even see him. Hell for 100% completion he doesn't even contact you. You can just open that door and inside is... a riddler trophy. Oh loving boy.

But at least it's the first Riddler trophy ever. Spooky.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

just finished the game and wow that ending was abrupt. I guess maybe it's because the story wasn't very centered on any one villain or conflict but that game felt really short to me.

Me too. I doubted the game up until The Joker was revealed, and it seemed like he was going to be the main villain. and at that point I started to hate it. Then once he was put away, I was left wondering if the main villain was Bane or Black Mask just taking over Joker's plan. So I started the game over again with a new respect for the game, and to show my sister the awesome scene where Batman saves Joker's life, just to end up learning that The Joker is the main villain yet again; and on top of it, the final boss is not only a knock-off Mr. Freeze fight, but is also a slightly smarter version of Bane from the George Clooney movie.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

bigpolar posted:

I was really excited about this game, and I ordered it instead of GTA V. Pre-ordered it, even, because Deathstroke DLC was going to be awesome. I'm very disappointed with this. The lockups on the 360 especially are pissing me off.

Also, I find that the combat controls between the challenge rooms and the game don't seem to be the same, which is jarring. Counters in particular seem to work much better in the challenge rooms, I'm not sure why. I've noticed only some people seem to have this bug/feature and I'm definitely one, no idea why. I might end up selling this one back to amazon.

I said the exact same thing a page ago. It doesn't make sense, does it? I can counter in the challenge rooms, but get my rear end kicked by one guy with body armor in the main game.

The Human Crouton posted:

I've been playing the challenge rooms, and I'm finding that I fight much better in them than in the main game. It seems like Batman can counter in mid attack much easier than in the main game. I went up against a group that contained 2 shields, 2 body armors, and 1 huge guy that needs the triple cape stun to hurt; and I kicked rear end until the camera started bugging out. This combination would destroy me in the actual game. In addition, I saw a double counter that I've never seen in the main game where Batman suplexes one thug into another.

I even tried not using any of the special moves to simulate that it is impossible to get your meter up in the main game since the main game gives you few normal thugs near the end of the game to see if I was just fooling myself, and I still did as well as I used to in AC. I know that combat being different in the challenge rooms would not make sense. Has anybody else experienced this?

It just doesn't make sense.

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, I'm playing challenge rooms right now and goddamn is the timing much more forgiving on counters. Actually pulled off a ground slam -> counter to end a round right now. I thought I was just rusty in the Origins campaign but there is definitely something different to the timings in the story. Like, I just took out a hundred guys with mixed armaments no sweat in the challenge room, it's like I'm back in City in terms of flow + added shock gauntlets so you can punch right through armored guys and shields.

Did they copy the code from AC for the challenge rooms, but change it for the main game? Is that even realistic? I'm a programmer, but not nearly as talented as the idiots who hosed this game up. I just don't see how it could happen.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 2, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

In one sentence, how would you have implemented a bossfight against the following Batman villains(or others not appearing in the games)?

• Shiva

A fight similar to Deathstroke except at certain points it turn into something kind of like http://www.toribash.com/

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Dr.Smasher posted:

It just seems to me that something is just missing. The boss fights so far are good, I haven't encountered any glitches, the voice acting is pretty good, but something just seems off. I can't explain it.

The problem with this game is that you can tell that it was made by pussies.

They had every advantage, yet were so afraid of failure that they didn't dare to do use the power that was handed over to them.

The reason you don't like the game is the same reason why you don't like having a weakling in your home. You tell him to make himself at home and offer him a drink and try to include him in conversations; but no matter how much you want to actually make this guy feel comfortable all he's doing is cowering behind his sister, who brought him here, hoping that she's ready to go home. I mean, he's not hurting anything, but you just can't get over what a loving wimp he is.

Arkham Origins just oozes that feeling.

Glue grenades.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 5, 2014

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Do Poison Ivy and Killer Croc represent aspects of Batman? :stare:

According to Yahtzee, Poison Ivy represents Bat man's shapely bum.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fuzz posted:

It will be just a boss fight, and a rehash of the AC fight at that. :smugbert:

Only harder because the camera will randomly zoom in on insignificant things.

I'm curious about this DLC though so I'll just watch it on youtube instead of buying it and getting frustrated by this game yet again.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tentatively nervous about batmobile mechanics. I don't want too may GTA chases in my Batman game.

Although I do want to be able to jump straight out of the batmobile, grapple onto a roof, jump a thug, and then land back in the batmobile on the other side of the building.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Nm.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

hiddenriverninja posted:

Let me also add that you can REVERSE BEATDOWN thugs with your elbows when they try to hold you from behind.

I'd wait until 2016 for this.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AO's combat sucked. Too many combo breaking enemies, which Batman targeted automatically when you couldn't see them because of the lovely camera. Add that to not being able to counter once you press attack, and the whole game had me afraid to punch people.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

kalonZombie posted:

As much as I enjoyed Origins, I think it would have been better as a comic book instead of a game. But then again if it was a comic, we wouldn't have gotten the Slade fight, so there is that.

(the slade fight is really good i think)

EDIT: My primary problem with Origins combat was that countering was super tight and if you didn't have loving ESP and see it coming before it actually appeared, there was no way you were going to counter a dude. In the other games you always got enough time to get an extra punch or two in before you had to react, but in Origins if you don't push triangle THE MOMENT you see the attack icon appear, tough poo poo get hit. Maybe this was because I was playing on hard, but combat on hard in Asylum and City never felt like that.

I felt that the countering problem wasn't as much as pressing the counter button the moment that you saw an attack coming in, but instead that you could not counter in mid-strike. So after every strike, I had to wait 1/4 of a second to see if I needed to counter any potential threat instead of just punching another dude.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that this reception is not actually consistent. I played the game and am able to counter effortlessly mid-combo and never have had targeting problems. There seems to be some glitch which causes this or some version difference. (A lot of people who complain are PC players and I played the PS3 version.)

I've never actually seen video proof of these problems but they're widespread enough that I'm sure they exist. It's just very hard to figure out what the cause is.

On the other end, I've experienced all of these problems, but have seen videos where the problem doesn't seem to exist. It's very weird.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zombie Boat posted:

Hey guys just wanted to share what this creep posted in the "pyf favorite little things in games" thread:

You know, now that I read this...

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Prepare for inconsistent fighting, empty hallways, unclear maps, and, most of all, disappointment. So much disappointment.

Yep. It's boring and ungainly.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Just taking a moment to reflect on how absurd it is that Arkham City's Penguin has a beer bottle permanently stuck in his eye that doctors cant remove because... reasons, instead of him just being a chap that really likes monocles.

We don't really know how far it goes into his skullbrain. Maybe they actually can't. There could really be 4 inches inside the head.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Canemacar posted:

The Deathstroke we got didn't live up to an awesome idea I read on these boards in the run up to AO's release. The idea was that Deathstroke would be a multi-stage boss fight in that he would be stalking you throughout the game and periodically ambush you at inopportune moments throughout the story and generally make your life hell.

That sounds cool, but with how AO turned out, that idea would probably just mean that the game would crash every time Deathstroke surprised you.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

Origins is my favourite game and I'm quite enjoying Blackgate. wtf brain, you're just trying to get me alienated now aren't you.

Blackgate? All I did was run down the same corridor lost 20 times, only to then run down it again 10 times as part of the story.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

His Purple Majesty posted:

I thought it was a good commercial and it made me more hyped. Stop being goony about it guys.

Then you must be...The Batman.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Number of skins is getting ridiculous.

Hoping for sexxi batman.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

This happened!

God, I hate comic books.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Release Arkham Knight early, Rocksteady, we're not gonna make it! :ohdear:

Preorder Arkham Knight at Forever 21 and get exclusive access to the game 1 hour early.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think that by 2017 there will be preorder exclusives that you can only get by preordering from certain vendors and then cancelling that preorder for another vendor's preorder.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cancel your preorder on Amazon and get the M1G1 Rifle Ultimax! Only when you cancel your preorder from Amazon and preorder instead at Gamestop.

• Locked thread