Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Man, did I just screw myself out of completing the AR challenges? I'm trying to get the knife dodge one, but I've already unlocked the knife dodge take down. I'm dodging all the swipes and Bats is going right into his auto takedown, but it doesn't count for my trophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Lavender posted:

This gave me a lot of trouble all the way back in Asylum, but the most sure-fire way to learn the timing is to watch your combo counter. The moment it goes up a number, that's the moment to attack again.

Less Talk More Rock's strat may work too; but AFAIK if you just hold back, and hold Y, Batman should only dodge it. If you let go of Y in between attacks, that's what triggers the counter attack.

This did it, thanks! It is crap that you need to get all three trophies in one go, though. That said, that bit of scoring and having to waste my early level ups on armor instead of useful stuff are my only complaints. I was scared of the B team running this game to poo poo, but it's as solid as City. Some wonky lock ons, but still great fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\/\Forget it, ManoftheYear, it's Gotham town.

LOL I just broke the game. I was going for the extortion packet in the SE of the diamond district and dive bombed myself into the water. Bats shot out his line and zipped under and through the entire map alllllllll the way over to the Bowery. Now, none of the ground is solid. Hopefully a fast travel will fix this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Well okay, but if you actually start paying attention to how many dead bodies are littering the ground in all the Arkham games, you do kind of start wondering what the point of Batman is. He doesn't seem very adept at actually saving anyone. I mean, Gotham seems like a dangerous place to live with or without him. At least in the movies, comics, etc. you don't have video game body counts making everything look ridiculous.

You obviously haven't read the nu52 Batman books. Please don't, DC sucks rear end currently.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the heads up about the bank and the predator challenge, got that poo poo my first time, easy as pie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

Soonmot, what vent did you use to get the takedown? I'm past that point now and probably won't bother with trying to get the rest of "The Worst Nightmare" challenges, but my curiousity is piqued. :P

Here's what I did. As the thugs were talking I swooped down to the left stairwell to pull off the vent grate that led into a side room. Both Stariwells have these, but the right side (from starting position) gets you spotted. I ran into the room, tossed a sonic Batarang in front of the closed vent, ran back to the stairwell and hopped into the duct and waited until a guy came in to check the sound. The takedown button comes up and I burst through the intact grate to smash him up.

After that, I take out the guy with the Jammer backpack, because gently caress that noise.

Sonic Batarang is used again to set up an explosive takedown by one of the two stone walls, because it takes too long for the guys to walk that way by themselves.

Corner takedown can be done just by watching and positioning yourself.

Ledge takedown was done on the wire walkway around the center lobby area, I just gilded over, stayed standing and slowly positioned myself near the guy underneath me until the YELLOW TAKEDOWN BUTTON pops. You're not looking for the blue bat glide icon. This is the takedown where Bats swings off and chokes out a dude with his feet.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Anyone having trouble finding a suitable group to fight for Rank 15 Shadow Vigilante (50x hits, 15 variations, no damage) should hold off until the side-quest that initiates with a call over the radio about a GANG FIGHT over chemical weapons (its the first part of the "most wanted" file for a lesser known character, Bird)

No guns, no shields, no heavies, no tazers, no ninjas.

Just 20 dudes beating each other down with their fists and a few knifes. And they're also pretty distracted fighting making it so you can engage two or three guys towards the back to do the interuptable ones like aerial attacks or the ground takedown. And I'm pretty sure after the fight where you press y to interrogate also counts for your variation total as a freebee. It's like it was made for this achievement.

:allears:

Actually this one flows a bit better to me. Maybe its just the inverse situation where I've just gotten better instead.

But the enemies do bunch together more often and it feels like the camera is closer (really only annoying in cramped locations, but still).

I'm still stuck on the 20 crits. I suck at purposefully getting critical strikes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does the Unseen/ No Detective Vision challenge have to be done in an interior room? I've cleared so many rooftops without it popping for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

So, quick one - The Challenge to do a Hanging Ledge, Gel, Corner and Vent Takedown in a single Predator room, where the hell can you do all of them? The Deadshot fight you can't, because there's no strong wall to do the Gel one with, but the only one with a strong wall I've found didn't have a suitable vent.

What I miss from the previous two that stinks of 'Collectible laziness'? The lack of the LB 'Perspective Riddles'. It was a great little mechanic, and it feels like they're only not in because it was easier & quicker to just slap down the breakable Riddler relays everywhere. They've taken a 'smart' collectible system that actually rewarded you thinking about it and put in a 'go to x location, press y button' system which is utterly mindless.

I've still enjoyed myself, but it feels in spite of the WB Montreal takeover, not because of it. Overall, I think Origins really lacks the polish that made me love the Rocksteady games, and I'm only liking Origins because so many of the core mechanics have been retained from the previous games, the only new addition I've enjoyed has been the crimescene reconstructions.

The thread had mentioned the Bank Map a billion times, so I was able to do this pretty easy, here's how I did it:

Soonmot posted:

Here's what I did. As the thugs were talking I swooped down to the left stairwell to pull off the vent grate that led into a side room. Both Stariwells have these, but the right side (from starting position) gets you spotted. I ran into the room, tossed a sonic Batarang in front of the closed vent, ran back to the stairwell and hopped into the duct and waited until a guy came in to check the sound. The takedown button comes up and I burst through the intact grate to smash him up.

After that, I take out the guy with the Jammer backpack, because gently caress that noise.

Sonic Batarang is used again to set up an explosive takedown by one of the two stone walls, because it takes too long for the guys to walk that way by themselves.

Corner takedown can be done just by watching and positioning yourself.

Ledge takedown was done on the wire walkway around the center lobby area, I just gilded over, stayed standing and slowly positioned myself near the guy underneath me until the YELLOW TAKEDOWN BUTTON pops. You're not looking for the blue bat glide icon. This is the takedown where Bats swings off and chokes out a dude with his feet.

If you have already cleared the bank, I don't know if there's another predator room with vents and rock walls/floors/ceilings.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RadicalWall posted:

You can't actually complete challenges in the challenge rooms, ironically. I think you can still start a NG+ and do them the second time through.

Yep, people have posted that your challenges carry over to NG+, so that is safe. I now have two days off work to finish normal and NG+ Looking forward to Batman OD!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheGreySpectre posted:

I think out of all the games I still like Arkham Asylum the best. Arkham city has the best boss fights though and Origins has the best integration of bosses with the story. Both Origins and AC have smoother combat then AA though. While the new voice actors did a good job I still don't think compare to Hamil or Conroy who are just amazing. I also really liked the evidence scanner in AO

At this point though I don't care about the Joker anymore. I don't want him in the next game he has been beat to death. I thought the AC was a great send off for him and I was hoping for a break with *this* game.

Have you done the Shiva fight? You have to complete her side quest to unlock critical strikes.

But... I... Huh? I see that now, looking in Aux, but I currently hit dudes and get critical strike messages because of the close combat skill. That is bananas!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay first part of the Shiva mission Am I just not seeing something? There are two fuse boxes, but I can't seem to electrify my remote controlled batarang in the water to blow them. I also don't see how I can get the grapple line to shoot between the two anchor points to do anything with that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had just found that after trying to batarang the lit lights in hopes of more electricity. I am too reliant on detective vision, sometimes. Thanks!!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Today I was playing City and got to the AR training sequences. The one in Joker's district. You know the one. AUGMENTED REALITY TRAINING ACTIVATED AUGMENTED REALITY TRAINING FAILED

gently caress that one. I did on accident in normal, but haven't been able to do it again in NG+ It's the only real obstacle in 100% that game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me. I finally complete the Unseen/No DV predator challenge, exit the game to pick my uncle up from work, come back and load up and.... I have to do it again! Only now, the room I used for it is empty and my level up is gone. Fuuuuuuuck.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

That is seriously stupid. If no one bought them, then clearly they needed to balance the game differently, or just accept that skilled players would (no poo poo) have an advantage. Forcing players to buy 4 ranks of bullshit before getting to actual useful things was pretty much the full retard way of 'fixing' things.

It's not that I didn't buy them, I just bought them last. The upgrade system is really my biggest complaint, I'm enjoying the hell out of the game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can somebody tell me where the hell to do the stupid rank six predator challenge? I just finished the bank in new game plus, not realizing hanging ledge takedown meant hanging from a ledge and doing a take down on an enemy below you, not one on the ledge above you. Is it really possible to screw yourself out of being able to finish the challenges by going too far in the story?

You don't need to be hangning. Just stand on the ledge over the enemy and the takedown prompt will happen. It's the same one you do in the very first predator room.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just downloaded a patch on Xbox. Same thing as the Steam one from a few days back?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I went back to the Towers to pick up some riddler stuff and it is ridiculous that I cannot just jump out the window and glide away instead of having the leap back and forth across these two towers to make my way to the parking garage.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about these credits. Any good sites/wikis for hunting down ridler packs? I have a few left I want to grab before moving to new game+

EDIT: \/\/\/\/Thanks, got them all now.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 7, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I decided to try multiplayer and I cannot find a loving game on the 360. What the hell, it's only 1am central and two weeks from launch?!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess. The thread has been making GBS threads on MP constantly, but I figured I'd give it a try myself, first. I thought all the people saying how they couldn't find games were PS3.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Meh. I never played much of the challenge maps in Asylum or City so I consider the Batcave and linking the challenge maps to attainable XP in the story mode to be a big improvement in Origins. It gives me a reason to actually do the maps for something other than their own sake. I want to see what they do with the Initiation maps whenever those get released.

I already hit max level before finishing the game. The only maps I did was the training ones.

I spent about two hours in MP this afternoon and enjoyed it. Managed a win as Robin. I really like the idea of the game, but having to wait for a full lobby, not being able to change your loadout in the lobby and the difficulty of achieving a win as the heroes against even a halfway competent team of elites vs how easy it is for either crew to win needs some fixing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's how I won the hero match I played. Enemy elites wouldn't stay near other for anything. Waited until it looked like one spotted someone from the enemy team and took them out while they were stalking.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Matchmaking is weird and broken. Sometimes the game puts you in a lobby with other people and sometimes it just dumps you in a room on your own. On 360 I end up spamming the join lobby option until I find one at least half full, then invite other people from my recently played list to fill it up.

Add Soonmot as a friend. I'm around after 10 central most nights.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've finished the main storyline, and still have two blank "Most Wanted." I know one is Deadpool, don't know who the other is...is it just like City where I just have to fly around and hope something triggers to start them?

I wish!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 10, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Darke GBF posted:

Definitely disagree on this one. DiMaggio does an excellent job as the Joker.

I am with you here. This wasn't the manic almost freindly Joker of Hamil, this was a more menacing and dangerous version.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Their crime sidequests were GREAT! The enemy variety was wonderful, but there were far too many special thugs included in the fights coupled with the janky targeting. I loved that fight outside the Joker's lair in Asylum. Loved the sprinkling of 20+ fights in City, but even a simple 10 thug fight turned into a chore because you had two guys with shields and another two in armor and the knife guy just attacked from off screen and there goes your combo, but it didn't matter anyway because you hadn't opened the Shiva quest for Disarm&Destroy yet anyways. Special thugs are spice. Use too many and you ruin the dish.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nthman posted:

The camera is all sorts of screwy, the combat is off and also none of the boss fights WOWed me.

But my biggest complaint about this game? That goddamned bridge...some one is getting some sort of sick pleasure for designing that area.

Bridge is awesome. Just get some good height and glide to the side of it. Using dive bombs into lifts keeps your altitude well above the water. The only time Bridge sucks is if you try to go down the center.

Had some great multiplayer games tonight. Lots of hero wins, one was accomplished with only 8 total takedowns (the batman player had 7 of them)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Started New Game+ Where's the first room I can do the propane take predator challenge?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

Any combat room with a propane tank will work. Just knock two guys down while a third stands next to them, zip line the standing thug into the propane tank. 3 dudes down and challenge complete.

That is the worst challenge of all of them. It DOES work on rooftops, but is very finicky in a predator room or rooftop. I got mine on top of the Sionis steel mill (the roof of the building, not the entrance with the milti-level stairs) after several tries on the GCPD roof and the drug lab inside the mill. I also got the last combat challange (50+ hit w/ 15 variations) like 5 minutes after completing the fight itself, so the challange system is just loving stupid. Just keep trying.

I think that last combat challenge keeps track of the three different conditions separately. I had gotten a 15 variation combo after unlocking that challenge, but didn't hit the 50 hit until much later and, as soon as that fight ended, I got the credit.

Are propane tanks the red ones that guys can throw or the big standing ones? I thought it was supposed to be the standing ones.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

I linked a video earlier that should help. Basically, the easiest way is to use combat rooms with propane tanks, knock down two guys next to propane tank (which is easy if you just stand next to it. Wait for another guy to approach you and the other two... then zipline the third guy into a propane tank and all three are down.

What I did was an inverted takedown, which drew two goons to the body, they shouted, two more came up. I launched a triple batarang to knock down three, then used the remote claw to send the tank at the standing guy. First predator room in the GCPD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ever since starting New Game+, my desire to play has died. I'm just going to finish off the last Worst Nightmare challenge so I can get the achievment for it and sell it back for store credit.

• Locked thread