Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Wow Arkham Origins is looking like a full game priced expansion pack. Disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

jivjov posted:

We've barely seen anything from it yet. Its far too early to start judging the scope of the game.

All the animations and city textures look like Arkham City. You really think they'll be overhauled for October?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I've always considered an expansion pack reusing almost all old assets and providing a new story and that's pretty much what it has been used to imply. I guess I shouldn't be surprised a really successful series is getting some COD treatment.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Maybe I'm just bitter about another potential full priced Halo ODST.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

Amazing Spiderman's adaption can go suck eggs though. It turns Spider Man into a slow plodding tank, who looks more like an inert wrestler than the wallcrawler. Seriously, AWFUL.

Web of Shadows had excellent combat. Shame about the everything else in that game though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

keyframe posted:

Playing Arkham City now and holy poo poo forget Batman just give me a Catwoman game already. She is so much fun to play. Loving the game so far.

I'd like one too, so long as they take out all the pseudo (and direct) constant barrage of rape threats every fight.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I take back everything negative I said about this game. It will be the best Batman yet.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

You really don't want to completely change the gameplay for the final battle. I loved Space Marine but the final boss fight sucked for that very reason.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Zsinjeh posted:

God fuckin damnittttaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhh multiplayer achievments gently caress

I don't want to have to rely on matchmaking or pubbies to get 100% in an Arkham game :argh: Also gently caress if I can never get those achievments months later when multiplayer is dead.

Batman never dies

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

OK this is weird, I can't seem to find out how to disassemble weaponry in fights. Where the hell is it in any tree because fighting 8 guys with 5 shields and 3 knives is kind of annoying.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Kin posted:

You don't even need the range amplifier. You can sit just outside the window and angle the camera in just the right way to hack the terminal.

I figure that it doesn't trigger it as complete until you walk out of the gate at the top though.

I restarted after i got locked outside though, i can only image that if you hit a save like that then you're going to be stuck and not able to complete the riddler stuff.

Nah, you can quick travel out and it remains hacked with the gate unlocked.

I have to say, this game is, by far, the glitchest Batman Arkham game yet.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Raimondi posted:

So I'm in the GCPD to try and get a data pack I missed. I collected it, and now I'm backtracking back out, and I've come to a room, that I have no idea how to get passed. This is near the end of the game (90% story complete). I feel like there should be an elevator or something, because I see no place for me to grapple, and there nothing highlighted for me to use my tools on. The only thing highlighted in detective mode is the explosive barrels.

http://i.imgur.com/7w98Q36.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fZngxsR.jpg

Edit: Okay, looks like other people are having this bug too. It seems you take the elevator down, but when you come back, the elevator is in the up position so you're stuck. Warning to people, don't go in the GCPD to get the data pack on the bottom levels you'll be stuck. I can't fast travel, and saving/reloading will just put me in the same spot.

Edit2: On the PC at least.

I had this too on PC.

Head down to the far side that looks like a dead end on your map. There's unmarked ladder there which'll pop you out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

Yeah, they're on good runs. My game also will randomly not let me fast travel. So buggy.

Yeah mine did this too at random occasions. I'd reload my save and it would work fine.

Totally the buggiest Batman yet. Also the final two goons you interrogate on the bridge wouldn't let me interrogate them the first few times I encountered them. I had to fast travel away and back like 3 times before I could beat them down THEN interrogate them.

FallenGod posted:

How do you start (Most Wanted) Bird's mission? I go to the "Investigate the gang fight" waypoint and there are always the same 4-5 guys there. If I fight them, nothing happens. If I hang around the super obvious vantage points hoping to observe something, nothing happens. There don't seem to be any sewers or anything underground that I'm missing and I can't enter the large factory that has venom waste ejecting into the bay.

You interrogate one of them if I remember right. Look for one dude cowering around in that group you just royally rear end-kicked.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Trip report: It looks phenomenal. I dusted off Arkham Asylum just to compare and the differences really are impressive. The lighting is better, the artistic direction is better, honestly one of the best looking games I’ve ever played. They've added a bunch of subtle stuff which adds up a tremendously more impressive visual experience. Depth of field to the final blow in a combat fight, boosting the black levels a touch making it look more like film and a bunch of DX11 stuff that might as well be magic to me. Long story short, it looks great.

I honestly also prefer the story this time around specifically because, overall, it feels a bit more simplistic and less cliche (rather than Asylum's "haha, getting caught was my plan all along!"). It also has some really well done surreal cinematic gaming moments which were very impressive. One only point does the story falter (Bruce has a crisis of confidence which feels out of place for the time and is over in less than a minute so it just feels stupid and unnecessary, especially because at that point I, as the player felt “oh man, poo poo just got real Batman is going to throw-down” but he literally did the exact opposite). There aren’t as many of those little cameos from other villains this time around which I also prefer because, at times, Asylum (and City especially), felt a lot like “oh man, look at this sly reference, aren’t we clever, wink wink.” Additionally Batman did feel far more amateur this time around. He’s a lot more ragey and unhinged without the calmer and cooler control in the Asylum and City games. This works out really nicely as you do get the sense you’re almost out of your league (which is even more enhanced as there were a few bossfights I barely managed to scrap by on first-try without dying). Oh and the new voice actors are excellent and honestly, after I got used to it, I think I prefer Roger Craig Smith to Kevin Conroy. Troy Baker feels a bit like he’s doing a Mark Hamill impression but who cares because he’s also drat good.

Gameplay-wise I think they threw in too many different enemies and eventually knew that themselves by eventually giving you some super-electric gloves which allow you to completely ignore the “rock-paper-scissors” type combat the game has previously. Plus the unlock trees are way more linear and you don’t get an unlock I consider essential to my combat (weapon disassemble) until about 80% through the game which caused me a lot of frustration. Additionally having unlocks forced behind some in-game challenges is pretty lame, truth be told. Especially predator ones as there are a very limited number of predator counters in the game.

Finally this is a buggy game. There aren’t enjoy grapple points in the city making fast travel annoying. I’ve dived-bombed through the God-drat Earth (thankfully the game registered me as going into the ocean and just auto-grapple-spawned me back), it has hard-locked multiple times (never had that happen in Asylum or City), interrogations are pretty buggy (aka. sometimes they just don’t work), there’s a broken part of a quick-travel unlock (which you can get around by exploiting another bug so I don’t know if that’s better or worse) and there a number of other minor glitches.

Keeping in mind that I loved Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and I find Origins to be, overall, and enjoyable experience. Hopefully it’ll get a number of post-release patches to fix up some of the glitches that I’ve encountered. I got it off GMG for $38 with one of their 25% coupons and definitely got my money’s worth.

Oh, and I haven’t touched multiplayer and I don’t really intend to.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 28, 2013

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Batham posted:

The tessellated snow on the ground

Yeah, it's a got a ton of stuff like that which really make it a graphically phenomenal game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

For copperhead you need to be on the ball with countering. I didn't miss any, had all health upgrades and I only had about a half health bar left. The dodging the insta-dash is just ludicrous but thankfully she doesn't have a lot if life.

Holy God that first part of the second Bane fight sucked. I died maybe 6 times there and literally only 2 other times in the whole game (one of those other times being the first Bane fight). There's just so loving much going on that oh god how did I get here I am no good at baneing

Honestly it was easier to fight mega Bane than Bane

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Andrast posted:

That fight is really easy of you don't try to do anything fancy and just fight like you would fight against a normal group of goons. It's just countering and attacking like always, I got hit maybe once in that fight after I realized that there is no gimmick to it.

How do you dodge the dashing though?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Andrast posted:

In the same way I dodge all unblockable charging attacks, I roll to the side.

I can't even tell she's dashing until I'm getting creamed though. Is there a tell I'm missing?

Captain Snaps posted:

When he's dashing, I just spammed dodge in a circle around him. Nothing should really hit you, and he will also do a fair amount damage to the rest of the goons.

Sorry I'm talking about Copperhead not Bane

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I just did it on a random crime. A few of those have huge numbers of dudes.

As did I. There are a couple of crimes near a bunch of gangs and I like to add up a bunch of moves for variety XP bonuses. I got it without even trying for it. :feelsgood:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Well, then you'll enjoy the end.

I mean, it still ends with "Gotham is still Gotham, we are a troubled city.", but the major problems of the night have been solved. Things will move forward in a positive way from here, and they make that clear. Even stuff you felt was left alone Black Mask, corrupt officials, etc., largely gets cleared up. Overall, the game ends on a very positive note, with Gordon preparing to clean up his precinct, Falcone/Black Mask unable to buy the new batch of cops, Joker and Bane locked up until the story needs them again, and the Assassins all under lock and key.

The only "bad guy" who gets out alright is the Penguin, but he's never been presented as a real threat in the Arkhamverse, just a greedy rear end in a top hat.

For all the people saying this game makes you feel bad, cheer up! Joker dies two games after this one. :)

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Gonkish posted:

But Shiva just disappears after stating that she underestimated Batman.

I know next to nothing about Batman lore but I assumed she works for that Al Ghul guy from Arkham City as she was intent on testing Batman and had the same philosophy of some people need to die because they're just bad.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Crowetron posted:

I also have a really dumb and petty complaint about Origins, and the other two games, actually. Stop putting a mouth-hole in Bane's mask, art dudes. It makes him look like a swole as hell gimp instead of a luchadore. The rest of his outfit in Origins in pretty stylish, though.

Edit: Joker also looks kinda weird this time around, but I can't put my finger on why so that may just be me.

Might be the fact he's got a perma-smile and clown makeup.

Joking aside, I liked him more in this game. His changes were slight but he looked much more sinister.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

2. That Fist of the North Star-style beatdown against the Joker was amazing and really makes me wish Platinum Games made the next Arkham game.

I thought that poo poo was idiotic. I had no problems with Batman beating the poo poo out of him but it went all anime stupid.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It is literally the same single-target beatdown attack you've used on enemies throughout Arkham City and Arkham Origins.

It felt like they certainly took out some frames so it went from fist back to punched with nothing in between.

I was just think he's be tossing haymakers but whatever. I get what they were going for I just didn't like how it was presented.

I still think the surreal Joker moments were drat amazing though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Hahahahaha ok, gently caress this game.

Decided to take a break from the story to play the challenge stuff. Did the Deathstroke 100 to 1 brawl map, managed to survive all the way. And what happens? Enemy number 100 never appears. I don't know how many times I failed that poo poo or restarted, only to get to 99 knockouts and not even be able to finish the brawl because the game bugged out. I'm not touching this game again until they patch it, the level of QA for this game is far worse than Bethesda's QA, and that's saying something.

Did it first try and never got hit :smug:

Also all the dudes spawned, sorry man :(

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

also, are there predator rooms post-game?

Nope. The challenges system for the non-combat ones are pretty poorly thought out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

How is everyone else's copy holding up? Is the PC version at least running vaguely smooth?

I've got 27 hours in and it's locked up 3 times where I had to Force Quit. There are the other bugs, divebombing through the world, interrogations not working properly, vent bug, etc., etc.

Still a good game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

RE: Shock Gloves

They feel more like the developers admitted they threw so many new enemies at you that there needed to be a "X trumps everything."

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Edit: wrong thread

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 31, 2013

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

So after going to the morgue I'm trapped in the sewers. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Go to the opposite part of where you entered. There's an unmarked ladder on the map where you can get out.

It's poo poo, I know. Stuck for 20 minutes myself down there until I found it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Skoll posted:

I've looked all over and found none. Hopefully the corrupted save issue gets fixed because I haven't been able to play for over a week.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/Updates-on-Support-Latest-Updates/m-p/41975/thread-id/3469

Patch 2 List of Fixes
This Patch is now live.

Disabled invalid collision object in Mad Hatter level, which was preventing some people from crossing the river
Fixing missing objective for Lacy Towers.
Fixed 'secure area' bug with Gotham Bridge.
Fix for Deadshot quest not completing properly.
Fixed for the player being locked behind a door by AIvsAI. Fixed user bug who was stuck in Industrial District Enigma Tower
Fixed Black Mask drug stash/chapter mixup that would lock away some drug canisters.
Added the ability to run NVidia Benchmark feature from Options Menu.
Fixed a crash at the end of Deadshot.
Issues with MyAlibi should be fixed.
Fixed Bird thugs not spawning.
Fixed a bug in Royal Hotel that would prevent players from progressing at Helicopter scene.
Fixed Fatal Error on Press Start screen.
Fixed bug making it impossible to grapple in bridge
Fixed sequencer not working properly in Gordon’s office.
Fixed elevator that couldn’t be boosted in Bridge.
Fixed issue with elevator not going back to the correct position in Sewers.
Numerous other more minor fixes.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Skoll posted:

Whelllp... I know some of you were asking about it.. but it turns out WB removed the Worst Nightmare skin from the game.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Worst-Nightmare-Batman-Skin/m-p/62937#U62937

Turns out PS3 and 360 players get different skins, PC users get zip. Typical.

Why would they do this? :confused:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Origins gets some justified complaints about bugs, and I do feel like it was missing a certain spark that Asylum and City had, but it was still executed well enough that I ended up pumping 90 hours into the game and enjoying most of what I did. It also was a real step in the right direction in terms of variety in boss-fights and there were a few moments in particular that stand out as absolute series highlights - particularly the entirety of the Lacey Towers murder investigation subplot which I thought was really well handled and had a superb "Batman figures it all out" moment.

For all its faults Origins has the best story (except for Bruce's 30 second crisis).

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I don't care for Batman Returns but anyone who doesn't think Batman '89 is a national treasure is a loving loon.

Both Batman and Batman Returns were great. Keaton was an excellent Batman/Bruce Wayne and Nicholson was phenomenal. The overall artistic design in the first two movies was just right for Batman as well. I don't care if Burton didn't read the comics, he nailed the movies.

Forever just looked like a lovely neon night club. I didn't bother with Batman & Robin but apparently I should because it was so hilariously bad.

Also Origins looks a lot like a Burton/Nolan film mashup in terms of style and I think it worked really well. I really need to replay this in NG+.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Countering does feel a bit off in Origins compared to the other games.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Jayou posted:

Finally got around to buying this on the Xbox thanks to some discount vouchers. Did the various bugs get patched in the end? I was following the thread upto the launch date and there seemed to be a few appearing - trying to avoid looking back in the thread to try and avoid spoilers... (Thanks for any help!)

It has been patched the poo poo out of since release and a lot of the complaint discussions seem to be "ugh this is broken or feels weird" "works fine for me on Xbox" "I'm on PC" so yes, I'd say the console version is probably the most stable.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

In related news, DC is putting out an animated feature sometime next year set in the Arkhamverse called Batman: Assault on Arkham.

Oh great, more video game anime tie-ins.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I just remembered how much I smiled when Arkham City put Batman up against that Shark.

God that was great.

I just got that.

Holy poo poo.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think it was terrible at all in AC and don't get me wrong, I loved the tightness of AA myself. It reminded me of games like Metroid and Castlevania and the things that Nintendo used to do so well. I just can't see another way to expand the series and add new elements to it without bringing in a vehicle or two. Or something like that.

I wouldn't mind driving a tumbler, a bat cycle, a boat or a bat wing, so long as the gameplay is as fun, the controls are as tight as the combat has been in these games and, like someone else mentioned, so long as traveling isn;t a chore. Most folks seem to think that the "beat the poo poo out everyone" element's getting a tad stale.

I don't know. This is just me talkin.

Maybe they can make it so Batman knows how to swim? Water is his arch nemesis it seems.

Then again, who wants water and swimming levels?

Dear Christ no water. They handled it perfectly. You can't go in it but you don't waste time dying then having to reload (not to mention immersion ruining), just instantly bounce back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Origins is the only Batman game that has a lot of boss fight variety.

AC has more than Asylum, the Mr. Fight is quite memorable.

I think AC strikes a nice balance in that you have variety but you're using skills you build up over playing the game. Origins a lot of the boss fights are "hey we're changing some fundamental mechanics for this boss fight you have to learn now. Enjoy!"

• Locked thread