Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, this is a lot sooner than I thought. Can anyone tell if this is going to be more like City and open-world, or more like Asylum and be a tight Metroidvania kind of place?

I hope it's the latter. Open worlds are fine but a good tight Metroidvania environment like Asylum had is like a diamond unicorn. Also apparently REALLY hard to make.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, the game will definitely be open-world in vein of City seeing that the area is twice as large in Origins as it was in the previous game (to the point where they introduced fast travel). Check this preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKt7VsmZifQ
Even the UI is reminiscent of that in City.

EDIT: Actually, in the second half of that video you can see that there are some new Batman animations. Hope Deathstroke reskin was really done because they didn't have enough time.
Ooh, the dev said the Mr. Freeze fight was their favorite boss fight. It was for me too, and honestly the only boss fight in City I remember very clearly. If all the boss fights are like that then I'm sold.

edit: I bet this was answered already but why is it coming out on the 25th?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 20, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

redbackground posted:

I'm wondering how they get around the ability to grapnel-boost around the city, since that (fabulous and super-fun) upgrade had just been invented in City. Don't make me regular-grapnel the whole game!
I figured fast travel via the Batwing was meant to replace that?

I didn't enjoy transit at all in City, to be honest. It was a cool idea but doesn't change the fact that you'll just be gliding uneventfully through the air most of the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the multiplayer like, a bunch of Batmans all running around batmanning each other?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think he's talking about Batman Doom, one of the greatest things in existence.
Batman should not work well as an fps, but it drat near pulls it off.
Holy poo poo Batman is short. He barely comes up to everyone else's waist.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

16.2 gigabats.

I'm still not sure if I want to spring for this. I'd appreciate some early adopter goons giving their thoughts, especially on the multiplayer.
I don't know if I can take that many bats.

Anyway I didn't enjoy City enough to buy this blind. I want to hear more about whether the city itself has anything worthwhile in it, or if it will just be a pain getting between buildings, the inside of which have all the fun stuff I like.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Ha, yeah, I think that is actually my favorite scene. Jack Nicholson just killed it and Partyman was just so so perfect. I wish 1989 Tim Burton still existed.
Sometimes I wonder if he ever did and every time I watch that or Beetlejuice I am just in a crazy dream. His movies are so boring now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Human Crouton posted:

How did Spielberg go from Jurassic Park to War of the Worlds, Indiana Jones 4, and whatever the gently caress else he does now. Once you make your money, you have your money, and if making a little bit more doesn't cost you anything then why not do it?
I like Tim Burton and all but I didn't think he's in the league of Spielberg in terms of being able to rest on his laurels and just make boring movies for the rest of his career. Or maybe he is?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe it's pre-villainy Harley Quinn?
That's one thing I've always been confused about. She was a doctor before? How is that even possible? Or did her association with the Joker make her both crazy AND dumb as a post, and she wasn't either thing before?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Thranguy posted:

I think that she was a PhD Psychologist, not an MD Psychiatrist, at least.
So the joke is that any crazy idiot can get a PhD in psychology, or something?

edit: also I'm pretty sure "psychiatrist" implies they have a MD as well, since they can prescribe meds and stuff. Can you imagine Harley with the power to write prescriptions for powerful brain medications, even pre-crazy?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 23, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do I have to wait until tomorrow to read reviews of it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Knuc If U Buck posted:

So, I guess that Arkham City got rid of GFWL, and my saves along with it?
That's what it did for me, yeah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Any word on Origins about whether there are advantages to not using detective vision all the time?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are no real advantages to not using detective vision all the time I guess, but there aren't really any real advantages to using it all of the time either, so I don't know why you would. It's not hard to keep track of people without it.
Well, unless it's dark (it's always dark) and there are walls between you and the enemies (there are often walls between you and the enemies)...?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, that seems good, all things considered. I liked the bit about Montreal and "hack the communication tower to reveal the map" gameplay. I like that kind of thing so maybe I'll do it.

edit: my least favorite part of City was fighting roaming groups of thugs just because they were in the way. What did they even do to Batman anyway? I mean, in Asylum they had broken out and had killed the guards and everything, but in City they're just...in jail. They hadn't even done anything illegal until Batman came along. And they were freezing and starving to death, I felt bad fighting them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 25, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Then... why were they in jail?
No I mean, after they went into jail. They were just serving their time, trying to survive in a giant, cold prison with no food, with no guards to protect them from each other and run by crazy murderous people, and then a guy in a bat costume showed up and punched them all in the face just for being there...in prison.

I couldn't feel anything but pity for them. And surely it was intentional, with all the conversations you overhear from them?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I believe Gamespot's new policy is to review games more than once, at different times during their patch/DLC path, and by different people. Maybe just to gently caress with Metacritic and keep people from just going there for reviews, I dunno.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I also didn't think the open world changed very much beyond more distance between meaningful things. And using gadgets in combat, but there wasn't ever much reason to do that, your bat-fists were enough for almost all the fights. I guess that's been fixed here though?

edit: I guess what it comes down to is that for me, the "meaningful things" about the Arkham games are the Metroidvania areas that are mostly indoors. The whole rest of the game hardly means anything to me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 25, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

Did you like Asylum more then City? You'll like Origins, and view it as a good game.
Wait, how is it more like Asylum than City? No one else has said that yet, I think.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So how big is this game compared to Far Cry 3? And besides the radio towers, are their "fortresses" or some kind or another to take over and then they stay yours? That's the kind of poo poo I love in games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shindragon posted:

Uh since when has Batman games ever did that?
They never had radio towers to hack either, and that's apparently a feature all games made in Montreal have. Another such feature is forts to stealthily kill everyone in and then they're yours, so I wondered if that was here too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does it actually re-use some or all of the city model itself?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, it doesn't matter much to me anyway, the city model itself was almost completely forgettable to me anyway. Which is another problem.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The reused area has a lot more character now that it's not all hosed up like it was in AC. There's a lot of stores, a shopping-mall kind of area, so on and so forth. The fact there's actual colors in it helps a lot. In Arkham City it was all so broken down and dark it all felt like the inside of a steel mill.
Colors? I didn't see any of them in any trailers or anything. But it does seem to be the way of games these days to not show their colors in advertising. Those shameful, shameful colors.

edit: are there people out there who say "You like COLORS in your games? What are you, some kind of gay human being?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

There's a lot of storefronts and christmas decorations, things like that. It's not bursting with color, I mean, it is a batman game, but they stop it from being quite as bleak-looking as it was in AC.
Honestly after playing The Wolf Among Us (and to a slightly lesser extent the Walking Dead), I don't understand why comic book games are graphically done any other way. That way is so perfect. Is it really hard to do compared to more realistic shading methods, or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arkham really likes to lay the details on thick. I can't see stuff like the gradual wear on Batman's suit over the course of the night working as well with the more comic-booky aesthetic. Origins especially takes more after a mix of the animated series and the movies (especially the 1989 one) to really pin it down as a comic book game in the same sense The Wolf Among Us is.
While you're right that Batman has a whole movie world to work with too, I disagree about that style of graphics getting in the way of the details they want. If anything, they stand out more with the greater color range.

But more fundamentally, I believe games are at their best when they look the least like movies. And I say that as someone who watches a lot of movies. BECAUSE I enjoy both, I want them to be maximally different from each other.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

randombattle posted:

You can't do it in combat and sometimes the fast travel thinks you never left combat. Just reload the checkpoint.
There's probably a mudcrab or something around.

• Locked thread