Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm not trying to monopolize this thread or apologize for this game (I haven't played it) so I'll just make this my last post for a while:

Batman's stealth in a multiplayer game presents a very interesting design challenge: how to give Batman stealth but still make it "fair" for the Thugs. If the Thugs had no extrasensory perception of Batman, they would be essentially rolling a die every time they passed a hiding spot and if it came up on a one then their luck had run out: Batman would jump out and kill them. Very arbitrary-feeling to the Thug and not much fun. With X-Ray vision they can at least avoid the Batman if he's hanging out in one spot waiting for some poor sod to wander by.

Of course, a good Batman isn't going to do this, because he has total map and situation knowledge with unlimited Detective Vision and is going to sneak up on a Thug when he is otherwise occupied. Either that, or he'll follow the huge wailing siren that says "HEY BATMAN SOMEONE IS RELOADING AT THE AMMO BOX BATMAN YOU SHOULD GET HIM BATMAN" and do what Batman does. Which is choke a bitch.

As an aside, in Splinter Cell's Spies Vs. Mercs the Mercenaries had a vision mode that could see Spies through walls under certain conditions and the Spies did just fine. There are differences between the modes and the games but the point is that a limited form of extrasensory perception doesn't necessarily ruin the stealth for the sneaky guys. We'll see what happens.

The multiplayer should be two warring factions of bad guys with one player chosen at random to be Batman. The bad guys can compete to claim the turf/objective or they can team up to try and take out Batman.

It's a triple threat, ads elements of trust/betrayal, allows batman to keep his super advantages (he's only one player) and generally makes a really interesting premise for multiplayer.

Within a limited time do you work together to kill the batman, making your jobs slightly easier against eachother. Do you pretend to work with the other team, backstab them to try and take the objective and deal with Batman by yourself or do you ignore him and try and beat eachother to the mission goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I was thinking about buying this as soon as it launches but I've still got a lot of reservations about the game mostly because as far as i'm aware, there hasn't really been that much shown of the actual game has there?

I get that they don't want to spoil anything but i kinda feel that by this point, before AA and AC launched we knew a lot more about both games.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

On the upside it would be awesome to just hulk out as batman and thrash a crowd of random nobodies. It would be weird, however, to have untouchable crowds and (eventually) really annoying to have crowds you could accidentally attack, assuming there was a penalty, which I'm sure there would be since it's Batman. I can imagine it would be hilarious the first couple times I accidentally cracked an old lady in the back of the head with a batarang, due to automatic targeting screwing up, while trying to catch the guy who stole her purse, then automatically failing the mission; by the 30th time it wouldn't be so funny anymore.

It wouldn't be entirely unfeasible to have traffic and crowds on upcoming Arkham titles for PC and next gen consoles if Rockstar can already do it in the current gen, but that does throw a whole bunch of new programming and balance hurdles at Rocksteady, so I totally see what you're saying there.

You could have day/night cycles. During the night, you play as Batman, running around a fairly quiet city beating the poo poo out of bad guys. Unlike the previous games though you have a durable but limited amount of health so when you get your poo poo pushed in you have to call it a night. Night doesn't automatically switch into day, only when you sleep or whatever.

In daytime you're Bruce Wayne in a city that's a lot more populated and you can't run around beating the poo poo out of random people because you're in disguise. During the day as Bruce you could have your own Bruce Wayne missions to complete or could do detectivey things that make your night time Batman missions a lot easier.

Things like casing out a joint or sabotaging an area/planting a stash of goodies for your assault on it that night.

You could even have it so that the more you do at night the more "fear" your impose on crime. This could affect how bad guys react to you and even reduce the overall level of crime going on at night. Skip too many nights of combat (i.e by trying to focus just on the daily stuff) and the night gets harder and crime less scared of you due to you not showing up.

You'd lose the "all in one night" badassery that the other Arkham games have though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Doctor Albatross posted:

That's odd, I just got an email from them with my Steam key and it's pre-loading right now. New Zealand here.

Ditto for the UK. I wonder if there was a bit of an internal realisation that even if we had our Steam keys, because it won't activate until launch day we'd still not be getting the game until then.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So am i right in thinking this is unlocking at midnight in all respective regions?

It's 11:25pm just now in the UK and I'm debating whether or not to stay up for another half hour.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I only played the game for 5 minutes last night before going to bed and got past the first group fight sequence.

It's probably been picked up but one thing I noticed was that the way they end the fights has changed (unless i've misremembered or something).

Basically, in AA and AC, after you get into the swing of things and beat the poo poo out of a bunch of guys i noticed that once you'd reduced the mob to one, a single standard attack, at the end of a long combo, was all that it took to finish off the last thug (unless they were a special type). It happened with such regularity in every fight that i was convinced there was some kind of modification to the last guys health to make sure this always happened.

Last night i got into the first fight and knocked the guys about with a combo but when it came down to the last guy, i punched him and he just fell on the floor, dazed instead of finished off. I had to activate a ground takedown to finish him off with the slow-mo action before the combo was going to break and he was going to get back up.

Like i said, i could be misremembering or was too tired, but it didn't "feel" right.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've just started getting into the game and finally hit the city proper. All of those riddler signal things popped up and i took care of the 10 of them but then nothing happened?

I noticed there were some more conventional riddler things scattered about but they aren't on the map. Like the previous games i'll presumably get a map at some point right?

Was something supposed to happen once i took care of those 10 signal things or have i jumped the gun a bit or something?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Which tower is it you're supposed to avoid in the PC version until we get a patch?

There's a tower just outside of the Penguins boat that i cleared the thugs from. Riddler started yammering away and I punched a glowing green box just to the side of it.

Riddler said "well that's one way to do it" but the power was still on the gate and I couldn't open it. I couldn't see any wires or boxes with detective vision either. Was the power supposed to go off once I smashed that box?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

THE CHORSE posted:

"I won't stand a chance against that many armed men."

Also, reconfirming that this works for a new page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDLaojdCCw
I even managed to do it with a gamepad.

I'm guessing this will get patched next week right? There's no way that they'd let a bug this big go on for long.

How did this even slip by QA. I mean if it happens 100% of the time on PC then surely it should have been picked up?

The only bug i've come across so far is pulling someone through the floor into the grate when i tried to do a grate takedown. Instead of popping out and pulling him in, i got the animation for regular silent takedown but whilst glitching through the floor.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Seconding the sentiment for the skill unlocks. At the very least it should keep track of you having already done it so that when you get to rank 10 or whatever it is, it should juts unlock. Although it should just be a pool of things you have to do instead of ranked.

It would be cool if that was changed, but it's not likely that it ever will right?

Another thing i'm trying to get used to is the predator sections. The ones i've gotten into so far don't seem to have any kind of enemy alert, like when i silently take down the first guy, the rest just stand around like they usually do because there's no collar or random shoutout to alert everybody else.

This was a bit of a problem when trying to get into The Penguins ship. I silently took down all of the guys except the 2 outside the door because there's no way to get close to them without alerting them. Then i had to chuck a baterang at them to get them to move away from the door.

I get that it's a bit more realistic but when the previous games relied a lot on baiting the rest of the enemies by taking one of them down, it takes a bit of getting used to. Is it like that all the way through the game?

randombattle posted:

Boy I hope future Batman games do not have a segment where Batman must throw _____ grenades into the water to make platforms to float upon while he pulls himself down a passageway. Batman is 105 feet tall and can beat up 50 dudes at once but apparently has a phobia of swimming.

If it was anyone else, trying to swim in a full combat suit loaded with heavy gadgets would make it believable that the character doesn't want to swim, but it's Batman, so....

Kin fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 27, 2013

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, later on they get PA guys. One of your upgrades is actually the ability to disable the PA for a while to prevent that from happening if you want. You also can unlock the Sonic Batarangs pretty early on by doing the predator challenges which allow you to lure people.

Does the lure count against you being detected? One of the earlier challenges was about not being seen (i think) which i've always taken to mean getting rid of all bad guys with silent takedowns.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Oh yeah, who or what is this Sionis thing that Batman keeps referring to?

I just fought Deathstroke and he's mentioned it a few times but as far as I'm aware it's never come up in the plot.

As far as i was aware, the only thing i was doing at the moment was tracking down Penguin to help me track down Black Mask (who is allegedly now dead and i'm off to investigate the crime scene).

edit: random PC Bug - Booting the game up for the first time today and all of my graphics options have been reset. Awesome!

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 27, 2013

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Ahh, I just got that quest so I was going to go there next. I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

Spoiling just to be on the absolute safe side - Roman Sionis is Black Mask himself.

Ah, I'd read all of the bio stuff but must have forgotten that. Cheers.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I take it I need some kind of upgrade to break through the breakable walls that are half way up buildings?

There's one on a comm tower and i thought that i could glide through it with enough velocity but i just keep softlanding on it and bouncing off.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Axialbloom posted:

How to do it - There's a window-washers cleaning lift just above it with a generator. It can be lowered to the height of the breakable boards. You do need an upgrade further into the game to activate it however - SHOCK GLOVES

Ah, thanks.

Were you able to glide through walls in the previous Batman games or am I just imagining things?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sesq posted:

I'd like to know this too, and the one for Gotham Pioneers Bridge, if anyone has reliably . Sometimes in Sheldon Park, I get a little too close to the Bowery and a crime triggers over there.

I noticed this workaround for the Burnley Tower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDLaojdCCw I managed to get it this way after a while, though I think you have to have PhysX turned on

Is this required? I haven't gone near the tower because I wasn't sure if it was a progress breaking bug. Like does it happen on the PC version 100% of the time?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Same issue. Not a big deal though. Also apparently I cleared that tower a lot of people are having issues with on PC without issue. Weird.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

RadicalWall posted:

So in an ironic twist on the Burnley tower bug apparently I was supposed to zipline through that window but since I already had the range amplifier I hacked it from outside. Now instead of being stuck inside like everyone else I'm stuck outside.

The best part is that this isn't even a bug, it's just lack of testing! Guess I'll try that physics glitch.

Now I'll never know...

You don't even need the range amplifier. You can sit just outside the window and angle the camera in just the right way to hack the terminal.

I figure that it doesn't trigger it as complete until you walk out of the gate at the top though.

I restarted after i got locked outside though, i can only image that if you hit a save like that then you're going to be stuck and not able to complete the riddler stuff.

Edit: I also cant seem to lure anyone with the sonic baterang, i throw it and they just ignore it. Can i do these challenges in the challenge simulator or does it have to be out in the wild?

Oh yeah, earlier in the thread someone mentioned linking WB accounts to get extra costumes or whatever. What's the deal with that?

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 27, 2013

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Megazver posted:

It might be because I played City with M+K and I'm playing this with a gamepad, but zipping around the city seems way more of a pain in the rear end this time around. There are way more ungrappleable structures around, including a couple of huge-rear end buildings that you have to go around instead of across for no discernible reason, and I am having trouble properly aiming at edges that *are* grappleable because unless I keep the right stick pushed all the way up all the time, the camera tries very hard to not let me see what I should grapple at next. Sigh.

Yeah, the camera is a bit of a pain with gliding. I've never really understood the idea behind forcing a certain camera perspective when doing a certain thing in an open world game.

GTA/SR is the same in that it forces your camera back into a certain position unless you continually micromanage it.

It's glaringly odd in this game because when you're gliding, you're continually looking for the next ledge to keep the glide going, but for some reason the game wants you to be looking down and scowering the streets for another group of bat wielding thugs instead.

It's almost as if they went with thematic effect rather than function.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I asked this a little earlier, but do you have to do all of the upgrade requirements out in the field or can you do them on the challenge maps back at the batcave?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I got the no fast travel thing too just after I unlocked the hatter mission. I assumed it was down to a specific thing that was going to happen to me during navigation across the city.

The only thing that happened was that Alfred called me to wish me a merry Christmas as i approached the bank/hatter shop, so it might not be a bug.

It's a bit lovely if that's why though. Fast travel deactivated just so you can hear one line of dialogue as you fly around the city?

edit: I just spotted the season pass too. I'm pretty tempted if it's more single player stuff. I might get it if they patch the PC issues.

Has there been any word on that from the developers about a patch? Even a "we're working on it" would be nice to hear.

Kin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 28, 2013

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I like how they linked to that video from earlier in the thread that shows how to abuse another bug to get past the first one.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just unlocked Critical strikes and they sure as hell make a difference to combat. Pulling off consistent critical strikes is fairly easy to do so you get a new special every three hits.

Even in massive encounters, if you just attack around the armoured guys and take out the guys on the ground with the baterang special you can take out large groups pretty easily.

I have noticed that the Bat Swarm has been nerfed a bit. In AC, i was sure that it counted as multiple hits and stunned enemies for slightly longer. It was the go to move for cheesing the high scores in the combat challenges. But now it only seems to count as one hit and the guys who are stunned are only stunned for a second or two.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I made the mistake of trying to to that predator 4 exotic take down challenge during the Deadshot fight. My advice? Don't.

His ability to spot you is just another layer of annoyance and he seems to affect the enemy patrols a little bit. When i brought him down to just one guy left, that guy refused to leave the walkway Deadshot was on.

On top of that, once you reduce his health to about a third, you have to take on yet another group of bad guys unless you're quick and silent takedown him from the hostage he holds.

The map seems set up for it but it's a bit of a pain in the arse to pull off and if you're going to try it on that map, I'd recommend doing it the first time you're there.

Has anyone else come across a later map that has all of the required features? I'm thinking that when I play new game+ I'll drop the difficulty to easy just so I can get these stupid sequential challenges out of the way.

Edit: That is unless the devs succumb to common sense and patch in the ability to complete the challenges in the challenge simulator

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Do these sniper laden rooftops persist till the end of the game now? FLying around the city was fun, now it's a loving chore.

Comically, the last AR challenge is smack bank in the middle of this so you can do it unless you go through the painstaking process of taking all of them out across the various different rooftops.

Oh and they have bullshit, "spot you wherever vision" if you dare to even silently take one of them out.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

Something I think I missed: Why did Bane want to kill Batman so much? I thought they hadn't met before but he had a serious grudge.

IIRC from the comics Bane just wants to break the Bat because of the challenge.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

RadicalWall posted:

This is a known bug they introduced in the new patch. Im glad I beat the game just before it dropped. They also broke the Mad Hatter section so you might consider avoiding it on the PC until it's fixed.

One step forward and two steps back.

How about a spoiler free explanation of this glitch so that the rest of us don't just stumble into it?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well, you see, the difference between Rocksteady and this developer is that Rocksteady realised that different players have different level of skill and as a result let players pick and choose upgrades in whatever order they wanted.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is the endgame still bugged on the PC? I've just returned to Blackgate and rescued the hostages from what i assume is the final Predator room so i think i'm nearing the end of the game.

That final room is also kinda set up to help you complete the tier 6 predator challenge.

You get a vent take down immediately and then right next to that vent is a wall you can place gel on. Then, in the centre of the map, is a little walkway with a sniper that you can easily get the corner takedown on.

The only tricky one i found was the hanging takedown as it took me ages to find a ledge that counted. Basically, on the level with the hostages stand on top of the metal fence and grab someone walking below.

The only annoying thing is that I'll have to go through new game+ to get the rest.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 2, 2013

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I asked a bit earlier but is the endgame still bugged on PC?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Bloody hell, these credits are long. It's like everyone involved desperately wanted to get their names on the credits no matter what they did because it was an arkham game.

It doesn't help that they're so slow too.

I know I can skip them but I don't want to run the risk of missing any dialogue/scenes by doing so.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes those interrogation guys bug out too and you can't interrogate them. You gotta leave and come back and reset the fight or whatever.

I finished the game earlier and got all of the riddler stuff. I've wrapped up Gordon's post game stuff and all i have left is the Predator challenges, the anarchy tags and the Gotham Architect stuff.

The thing is, this is the first batman game where i really can't be hosed now. While the take two goons down without using detective vision worked on the guys with guns on the rooftops, none of the later challenges seem to (such as beating a predator without using takedowns). I mean, it seems inconsistent in what it considers a predator sitation

Then the Anarchy/Architect stuff is that lovely Balloon thing from the AC DLC but amplified. Who the hell in these days thinks it's a good idea to place unmapped collectibles in a huge, intricate, sandbox world?

With the combat being a bit jankier too, I'm not even sure I want to try new game+ because it's just going to irritate me.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 3, 2013

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Anarky tags are REALLY easy when you realize they are only on the major buildings. Just go to all the buildings that you can actually enter, and that's more then half the tags by itself. After that, it's just the locations you've been/done stuff in. Crime Alley, the TV Station, etc.

I think i'm just going to do the sensible thing and use an online map. The kind of thing this game should have given you, perhaps after beating the poo poo out of Anarchy.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Man, it looks like I've another reason for abandoning a 100% run. Apparently there's a costume locked behind getting every combat challenge medal.

Slap an achievement on that or whatever, but don't lock content behind a near unbeatable wall that only the extremely skilled are going to get. Especially as the people that play it enough to get to that point probably don't give a poo poo about a character skin anyway.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

In regards to potential co-op, as the combat doesn't really suit two people fighting simultaneously, perhaps there's a way to have another player "visit" your world, sort of like in Dark Souls?

A visitor can take on the guise of a cop or a thug and run around doing good/bad poo poo either taking down more thugs, alerting the police/Batman to crimes in progress, or taking part in said crimes and generally messing poo poo up.

If the next generation Batman/DC games have a bit more variety in the crimes in progress that don't just involve punching people to death, it could be pretty interesting.

Throw in a progression/levelling system and you can have it so that your thug/cop starts off as a small time peon but gradually earns things like shields/shock sticks/guns/body armor/titan upgrades, the ability to counter and chain attacks, etc. A higher rank might even give you the ability to summon a "gang" to fight by your side. Higher ranks, more gang members.

If you went all out on this idea then you could also have [named badguy] missions that pop-up. These give the visitor the ability to join a gang on completion/earn a ton of experience (and could be predator type challenges) but when one is activated, a timer appears for the person playing Batman. Batman then has the option of taking part in this too (to stop them) or ignoring it to focus on other poo poo.

Strip out the visitors ability to quick travel (dying and respawning would be the only means of selecting a new city respawn point) and I think something like the above might work.

It's not conventional co-op but it could make the city seem a little more lively, gives all players something to do (that isn't just of the lame deathmatch format) and might not feel tacked on or forced.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Olaf The Stout posted:

The dungeons in AC were corridors and pretty easy to navigate, but I'm having an aneurism trying to get back out of the hotel. Jesus I wish I could teleport to the entrance. Trying to get collectibles in the dungeons suffers from the same thing that Tomb Raider did. It's easy and flashy to get through these areas the first time, they guide your attention to all the right triggers and grapple points, but it's a pain in the rear end to come through a second time and the map is atrocious.

I found that too when collecting two data packs i missed before getting the glue grenade.

By the time I got to the ventilation room with the pack behind the steam I felt I was past the half way point of the Hotel and figured it would be quicker to continue to the end of it rather than back track to the beginning. The problem is that the end of the Hotel is blocked and the door at the room where you rescue the hostages is arbitrarily locked.

The devs didn't even bother to design a destroyed room for the area past that where you fight bane. The door there is just locked and there's no shortcut back to the start/city. It's just reeks of sloppy design.

AA and AC got the "dungeons" just the right length. Not too deep that it takes you ages to get through an area, not too short that it feels like it's just a room. AO is the opposite. Assassin missions take place in just one room while the regular dungeons involve you having to navigate through long linear paths that are great the first time but a pain in the arse for backtracking.

Just look at the Morgue for example, you have to arbitrarily go through the sewer system to get in there instead of going back through the police department. The door joining the two is just a texture on the wall :/

Also, no cops in the police department after you go through it? It's a bit silly (especially as there are always cops on the roof). They shouldn't have put any Riddler data-packs in there and make that area a one time only deal. That's the only way it would have made sense to have to go through the sewers to get back into the morgue.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, figured i'd give new game+ a go to get the last of the predator challenges but then the game freezes/crashes whilst saving and i lose everything i've done from the first predator room in the penguin's ship all the way to returning to the batcave to pick up the concussion grenade.

gently caress this buggy mess.

I've sank countless hours into the PC versions of both previous Arkham games and never once hit anything like this.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

They do. I got the 'don't be seen' one on two dudes standing on a rooftop and that particular one at the GCPD. It may (shock of shocks) be glitched

Odd, i tried the use on beatdown ones on the rooftops but couldn't get it to trigger either.

Also, I take it there's no way of re-starting the non new game+ mode with all of your stuff intact? I just want to maybe replay the campaign with everything unlocked without having to deal with the no counters and ninja/shock/shield bastards everywhere.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

robostac posted:

You can do it in the final predator room at blackgate as well.

Yeah, i guess the problem is the lack of Predator rooms in the story mode. IT's not so much of a problem if the rooftops consistently counted for completing the challenges.

I got it for one of the earlier challenges but not the beatdown one for example and as others have said, they're encountering the same issue.

It might be a bug, it might only apply to certain rooftops/areas that have the required number of badguys on them but the vagueness is what's ultimately bad about the design.

Basically, you should have been able to complete the challenges in the challenge room at the Batcave and complete them in any order you wanted.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Bard Maddox posted:

If you Beat the Average in the WB Humble Bundle, you get some DLC skins for Origins:

I was thinking about getting that pack until i remember i had the season pass. I've not seen all of those skins in single player though. Like some of them are there but the red son one wasn't there in single player the last time i played the game a few days ago.

Has it only been unlocked in the last day or so? I did read that some of the skins are bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've double checked and the predator challenge to beat up the bad guys with your bare hands doesn't work on the rooftops like some of the others do. I tested it on a couple of rooftops in Burnley including the GCPD rooftop but no dice.

I know some people have claimed you can do some of them on the roofs but i'm pretty sure it's either bugged (PC version) or it only applies to some of the challenges (obviously not the ones that involve grates/vents/walls/etc).

• Locked thread