Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I agree, I'm wary about a non-Rocksteady Arkham game, but I enjoy the combat system/setting enough that I believe it'll probably overshadow most any problems, particularly since from the looks of things they're not deviating from the formula of,"Batman beats up bad dudes and every so often he beats up a tougher bad dude in a mask".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okay I'm sold on that E3 demo, it just looks like even more of Arkham City with some new enemy types and I really have no problem with that at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

It kind of looked like he flat-out killed people in the two Arkham Origins videos I've seen. At least he dropped that one goon from a pretty great height on to something didn't look like a mattress to me.

He drops him onto a Christmas tree. Very painful, probably crippling, but you can hear the thug screaming,"YOU'RE CRAZY!" afterwards, he definitely lives.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bizarre Echo posted:

From the videos I've seen, it looks like Arkham Origins is basically a rehash of Arkham City's mechanics, straight down to the animations. And I'm completely okay with that. Can I count on being able to preorder this on Steam? I want to get my Deathstroke on.

If it turns out anything like Asylum and City (maddeningly) did, then the PC release will come out a couple of weeks after the console release, but there will definitely be a pre-order for it on Steam. Is it using Games for Windows Live or have they quietly just dumped that out?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arkham Origins is actually just a re-release of Arkham City, only now all the horses from the original game have armor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

That's a joke son.

Hobgoblin2099 is clearly channeling his inner-Batman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Batman can finally give up his fight on crime, because evil has finally been defeated :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jutsuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks4tY8dXaVU

So the Gamescom trailer shows some snippets of what I assume are bossfights and confirms that Firefly is in the game. A pyromaniac with a flamethrower and a jetpack could be fun to fight. Oh, who am I kidding, that looks loving awesome! I can barely contain myself.

:aaa:

Goddammit I thought maybe I could resist since it wasn't Rocksteady and clear some other backlog stuff before getting this but holy goddamn I need this game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This was posted over in the Steam thread - GreenManGaming has a 25% off voucher for this weekend for Arkham: Origins - GMG25-W38UG-WZTBY

That was enough to tilt me into taking the gamble, the game is looking enough like it's at least not DETRACTING from what made Asylum and City so much fun to play, and I'd honestly be satisfied with a game that is essentially more of the same with a different story for variety. If it turns out to be more than that/better than that, then even better!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

GfWL fucks up saves even from beyond the grave. :allears:

Wow. I am so glad that loving thing is dying forever.

Also, now I can load up Asylum and City and enjoy the atmospheric opening menu without that stupid loving,"WOOOSH BEEP SIGN IN TO GFWL NOW" crap. I just wish the achievements had transferred over between games.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well great, Origins is so close to coming out and now I'm going to be upset I'm not playing Arkham Bully instead :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh thank God I was able to restore my old saves, such a relief. So weird to see Arkham City with only ONE achievement so far though, and it's the Perfect Knight - Day 2 one!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It wasn't like he was hugely dangerous in AC though. He kidnapped people but Batman stopped every single thing he tried without overly large amounts of effort. Considering the rest of the villains get successful murders or plots under their belt, he's still a chump.

The very best thing about New Game+ (if you've already collected all the riddles) is that Riddler goes from,"You'll never solve my riddles, Dark Knight :smug:" to "Oh God the Dark Knight has solved all my riddles! :derp:" in the space of like 10 minutes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

randombattle posted:

Catwoman was in my opinion hands down the worst part of Arkham City. Playing as her wasn't as fun as batman. All her story stuff was pointless and I'm sad that all pc copies had her cause I would have prefered the game with out those parts.

I definitely preferred played as Batman, but I thought her combat portions were excellent. I do have to say that Predator mode and traversing the city weren't as enjoyable/intuitive as they were for Batman though, and I'm glad her non-optional sections were kept fairly short.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, trying to reteach myself how to play Asylum (and later City) using a controller instead of M/KB feels weird as hell, it's going to take me awhile to get that same instinctive feel that I got from the (hundreds!) of hours I put into them using m/kb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beeez posted:

I don't know how you got good with the mouse and keyboard, seems like it'd be really tough. Then again, I use a laptop so I don't even have a mouse.

It played very intuitively for me, everything felt natural and the more I played, the more it became second nature. I imagine I'd feel the same way if I'd used the controller from the start, and that I'd struggle if I then made the switch to m/kb.

Part of the problem is that I'm so used to the game I want to play it in hard mode, which removes all the on-screen prompts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's disappointing, especially as Robin was probably one of the less fun DLC characters for me to play in City (Nightwing was probably the best, in my opinion).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

redbackground posted:

I'm wondering how they get around the ability to grapnel-boost around the city, since that (fabulous and super-fun) upgrade was still a prototype in City. Don't make me regular-grapnel the whole game!

Replaying Asylum at the moment and I keep trying to boost my grapnel each time I use it :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If this is anything like the previous Arkham games, then I'm going to end up with 100-200 hours put into this game, and people will probably mistakenly think I play the multiplayer (I won't be) :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hopefully GMG emails out their codes soon, I'd like to get this preloaded nice and early.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

180mb isn't that long of a game...How big was AC?

16mb custom .wad file, but you needed the commercial copy of Doom to play it, the shareware version wasn't enough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

I don't know what google now is but Steam itself still says Friday.

I have family coming to visit the day it is due to come out, so you can guaran-drat-tee it is going to come out that day, because coming out a day earlier would mean I got to play it straightaway :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Keeku posted:

Just a heads up, on steam it's showing as an October 26th release (Australia) so it may not be the earliest option if you're looking to play ASAP (could be a mistake though? not sure).

Isn't October 26 in Australia October 25 in America?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just an FYI GMG has confirmed on their Facebook page that they won't be sending out Steam keys until the release date. That's dumb as hell.

Fucccccckkkkk.

Well I guess that was a gamble I took when I got it relatively cheaply from them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Playing Asylum again, I forgot how much I loving love the final Scarecrow encounter where Scarecrow is freaking out over why the fear gas isn't stopping Batman, and cries out in terror,"How can you be doing this..... WHAT are you!?! :gonk:"

:hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Orv posted:

Actually that makes me think that what I want to see Rocksteady do is make a Batman game exploring the idea that he's just as crazy as the villains. That he needs to go out at night and punch people just as much as they do.

This comes up a fair bit in Asylum - Joker and Scarecrow at least often point out that he's just as crazy as any of them, and Joker regularly taunts his thugs not just with the notion of the big scary Batman coming to get them, but the big scary lunatic Batman coming to get them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahhh they put a little TM into the title after Batman and now it's not in the right order with the others on Steam.... this is how super-villains get started :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Veotax posted:

Well, it is a prequel so it's now in chronological order!

Haha, this is a good point :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man that trailer has me pumped up - I know I'm just getting what is essentially an Arkham City reskin and that I should probably be pissed off, but I loved Arkham City, so... welp! v:shobon:v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nooo, I've got it all pre-loaded but I won't be able to play it for at least a couple of days. gently caress!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

I can't loving wait to fight Lady Shiva.

She is going to kick my rear end :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

100%-ed Asylum again, it feels better having those achievements completed again, though thank God I didn't have to redo all the challenges.

Now for City :shepface:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Axialbloom posted:

Now that my Batman: AC has converted over to GOTY edition in steam, with all new achievements, I'm waiting for Halloween to visit Calendar Man for a bit of clock-fudging.:ssh: (I did it legitimately the first time around. Don't judge me).

Also how is it you didn't have to redo the challenges? Now that Batman:AA has shiny new steam achievements I've been tearing through the campaign, partly to reacquaint myself with (rusty) batman skills, but mainly because I am a slave to seeing that little corner box pop.

When I loaded up my old Asylum save (including actually hitting "Continue Story" in my previous 100% game) it gave me a number of achievements, including all the campaign achievements I'd gotten before, just leaving out most of the story ones.

Happily in Arkham City, loading up both my original 100% game and my 100% New Game+ (again, hitting Continue Story) also gave me a number of the achievements, including most of the campaign ones and (thank God) the Storyteller one. I still have to do the storyline achievements, and it seems to have lost some but not all of my DLC achievements too, but at least I don't have to get 70-80 medals per each character again :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

No. I hated Bale for that and like how this guy delivered it. It really was a balance between Conroy and Bale.

One more thing I love about this one is how most people in the game world don't really believe Batman exists. It reminds me of initial scenes of the 1989 movie. When you show up for a fight guys sometimes yell "He's real!". Lots of fun.

Haha, that just reminded me of a bit of thug banter (:allears:) in Arkham City.

Thug 1: I don't want to mess with Batman, he broke my arm and three of my ribs during that mess at the Asylum a few months ago
Thug 2: Pfft, Batman? He's probably just an urban myth!
Thug 1: :doh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gunder posted:

All the fancy PhysX crap they have in the PC version is really awesome looking. Is any of this stuff on the console versions?

I'm actually playing Arkham City for the first time taking advantage of DirectX 11 and full power to the PhysX stuff (originally the game ran very poorly unless in DX9 mode, from memory) and it's crazy how much atmosphere it adds. The snow in particular is great, but also little things like the sparks in certain buildings or the way glass shatters just add a wonderful sense of immersion.

Can't wait to load up Origin and see what the game looks like now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've only played a little bit so far (got to the bit with the Christmas Tree seen in the trailer) but so far I'm having a blast and I absolutely love how poo poo-scared everybody is of Batman - not really believing he exists, freaking out just at his appearance etc. It feels great to be moving through Gotham proper too, and seeing characters before they became established.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God the Deathstroke fight was the best, it was incredibly satisfying to complete that, especially given motherfucking Deathstroke of all people going,"What ARE you!?! :gonk:" after you kick his rear end :allears:

I'm still early in the game but so far this is a more than worthy continuation of the quality of the previous two games, which is a huge relief.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Batman is so proud of how well his second in-game interrogation goes :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have to say, I loved the scene where Batman figures out the Lacey Towers murder and explains to Alfred what happened - I especially liked the way Batman was taken aback by the cruelty of the killer.

I also managed to get around the Burnley Tower bug using that glitch to get up onto the roof, which was a relief. Are there any other bugs like that which seem to be coming up for everybody that I should look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tegan and Sankara posted:

Some people have had a bug in the Mad Hatter sidequest relating to crossing water, but I've just completed that section and didn't get it, so you might be okay.

I really hope that is the worst section of the game, because it was pretty awful, the camera controls were terrible.

Ahh, I just got that quest so I was going to go there next. I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

Kin posted:

Oh yeah, who or what is this Sionis thing that Batman keeps referring to?

Spoiling just to be on the absolute safe side - Roman Sionis is Black Mask himself.

• Locked thread