Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kin posted:

In regards to potential co-op, as the combat doesn't really suit two people fighting simultaneously, perhaps there's a way to have another player "visit" your world, sort of like in Dark Souls?

A visitor can take on the guise of a cop or a thug and run around doing good/bad poo poo either taking down more thugs, alerting the police/Batman to crimes in progress, or taking part in said crimes and generally messing poo poo up.

If the next generation Batman/DC games have a bit more variety in the crimes in progress that don't just involve punching people to death, it could be pretty interesting.

Throw in a progression/levelling system and you can have it so that your thug/cop starts off as a small time peon but gradually earns things like shields/shock sticks/guns/body armor/titan upgrades, the ability to counter and chain attacks, etc. A higher rank might even give you the ability to summon a "gang" to fight by your side. Higher ranks, more gang members.

If you went all out on this idea then you could also have [named badguy] missions that pop-up. These give the visitor the ability to join a gang on completion/earn a ton of experience (and could be predator type challenges) but when one is activated, a timer appears for the person playing Batman. Batman then has the option of taking part in this too (to stop them) or ignoring it to focus on other poo poo.

Strip out the visitors ability to quick travel (dying and respawning would be the only means of selecting a new city respawn point) and I think something like the above might work.

It's not conventional co-op but it could make the city seem a little more lively, gives all players something to do (that isn't just of the lame deathmatch format) and might not feel tacked on or forced.

I've always been a fan of this kind of invasive multiplayer ever since I encountered it in the form of counter-op mode from Perfect Dark, which allowed opposing players to take over regular mooks and become an extra thorn in the player's side during otherwise normal singleplayer levels, Matrix Agent-style. Making it a progressive leveling experience that could eventually build the invading player into a miniboss gang leader for Batman to take on is all the more awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TheGreySpectre posted:

No quickfire gadgets except for the batarang and that is an xp oriented unlock.

Quickfire batclaw is also in, but remember that in Asylum it pulls enemies towards Batman in a stumbling dazed state.

Also, no ultra stun.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kaizer88 posted:

Or they could just cower in the corner and batman will leave them alone :colbert:

It'd be really cool if the Arkham games had something like the Punisher game's interrogation system, except because it's Batman it'd be like "quick knockout, brutal knockout, let them go, string up on nearest gargoyle in screaming panic" instead of five flavors of brutal execution after they're broken.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HenessyHero posted:

It was the best skin because somehow that steel blue still blended into most of the environments making it a practical choice.

That's because dark blue is actually a better color than black for stealth purposes, it's a night vision thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HenessyHero posted:

1: Well, cybernetic eye.

E: here we go http://imgur.com/HmSMY2L

God, that narration is incredible. These days it'd be some gritty hard-boiled bullshit about the depths of brutality and the cost on one's soul paid to be a dark avenger or whatever; back then it's just "I thought it was a camera bolted to his face but those cables went all the way back, man that's just nasty."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That "preorder to play as Harley" thing just reminds me that the Joker challenge maps for AA were PS3 exclusives :argh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

*INCEPTION HORN BLOWS THE BATMAN '66 THEME*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

"Thanks Batman, you just fixed my pacemaker!"

Batman's recharging their nightvision goggles so they can find their way out of that dark spooky factory :unsmith:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Honestly, Batman's portrayal as an 11th dimensional chess master is getting tired as gently caress. I don't mind it if it's used sparingly, but he's basically de facto super powered. It wastes Batman's most appealing characteristic, namely that he has no super powers.

Yeah, the whole "Batman is always prepared" deal is supposed to be that he thinks quick on his feet and is broadly skilled and equipped to handle many contingencies, not that he has literally preplanned all uncertainties out of every possible encounter. I'm glad the Invisible Predator sequences in these games work largely on the former premise and not the latter.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

You can do environmental takedowns (like throwing guys into electrical outlets or the ceiling fan which looks super deadly but apparently is not)

Heh, sounds like somebody played Volition's 2005 Punisher game between Arkham installments.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Asylum's a great game but I'm not sure I have the willpower to 100% it a fourth time.

E: though every time goes faster so by this point it'll probably take three hours.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 23, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When a game's this old I really don't mind if they spice it up a little with some alternate sequences or extra bonus content, yeah. Raw nostalgia only gets you so far, even for a classic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Direct link to the youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpfytI2K7-I

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

When they say 5X the size of Arkham City, is this going to be a Justice Cause 2 thing where a lot of that space is just sort of open? Or like a lot of highway you don't actually get to do much on other than drive?

I bet it'll be the opposite of Just Cause 2 but effectively the same, much of the city will be skyscraper districts with little practical gameplay space except to drive through and/or fight random mooks on foot between designated story/exploration zones.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CuwiKhons posted:

Seriously? There are trailers for trailers now? gently caress right off.

Avengers 2 had a teaser for a teaser for the first trailer, which was a glorified teaser for the Superbowl trailer. This rabbit hole goes deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BillBear posted:

Rocksteady should move onto Predator after this, they would be perfect at it.

They won't though. :smith:

Thanks, I am in a superposition of great joy and sadness now.

• Locked thread