Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It's also hilarious to attach them to gargoyles, especially that "whoooOOAAAHHH" yelp they make while zinging up through the air. Using the disruptor on mines that they walk over is also unexplainably delightful. Hoisted by their own petard, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, that was quite the surprise for me, loading up a challenge map "lure 3 guards with a sonic batarang? Sure, no probs" :smug:

Then going back in to the story and seeing no progrees made.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I have two left to do for Worst Nightmare (the propane tank one and the double fall one) and I think I may have to go through I Am The Night mode to do it :ohdear:

I'm also facing an uphill battle with Shadow Vigilante 15 but that's largely due to my own ineptitude with combat in general.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I used the 70s Neal Adams outfit all the time. That yellow bat-oval has gone out of style these days, but I liked it! Of course, I'm just waiting to be able to use the Adam West skin now.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What's up with the Earth 2 Batman skin? Red Bat Logo, red eyes...he's some sort of vampire, right?

Also, the Thrillkiller outfit is kind of cool, but the hip-high boots make him look like Burlesque Batman or something.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What's the difference between the normal and the extreme challenge maps? The extreme combat maps just seem to have higher point trophies while the extreme predator maps seem to have harder goals. Is that pretty much it?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Blade takedowns do seem a bit harder in Origins...usually I'll only attempt it if I have that freeflow super-slowdown mode happening.

Arkham City also had a challenge map with lots of knife guys, so it was easy to practice.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I can't believe how fun the remote claw is. So many fun things to do, like attaching a dude to a gargoyle and watch him just zwoooooop and boing around; attaching a thug to a conveniently placed propane tank and watching it explode on his head; attaching a guy to another guy and watching them collide; attaching a propane tank to a gargoyle and waiting to cut it free over some goon's head.

All they need to do now is release a map that has an aquarium with a giant shark in it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I actually haven't tried it, but I'm assuming that the whole reason you can attach a propane tank to a gargoyle is so that you can cut it loose with a batarang and wreck someone's day.

edit: hilarity confirmed

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 30, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is that the rank 6 one? I could only do that one in the bank. I thought that the explosive gel was the least difficult part...at the very start of the level, I just swoop down from a vantage point and put the gel on the two walls across from the entrance. It's not too long before someone walks near them. Here's what I used:

quote:

Rank 6: Perform 4 exotic takedowns in one encounter; vent takedown, hanging ledge takedown, corner takedown and explosive gel takedown.

Okay this is the one that is a real pain in the rear end. As far as I know this can only be done inside the gotham merchant bank. I would recommend doing it the first time you go there as the second time is way more difficult.
The corner takedown: needs no explanation although I would do this first as you are likely to get spotted trying once the guards are on alert.
Hanging ledge takedown: this is more difficult than it seems. Not just any ledge will work. On the lower half of the bank are 4 metal grates, stand on top of one then use the sonic batarang to lure a guard underneath, then take him down when prompted. These are to my knowledge the only ledges you can use this takedown on and the reason this challenge blows donkey d**k if you aren't prepared for it.
Explosive gel: This must be on a solid wall not the glass. There are two walls at the far side, only use one of them because the takedown will not count if the guard isn't fully KO'ed.
Vent takedown: to clarify, these are the vents in the walls NOT the grates on the floor. Use detective mode to find one and then lure and takedown.

http://www.trueachievements.com/a180190/worst-nightmare-achievement.htm

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Save games are synced to a cloud right (for PC)? I am switching computers sometime this week and don't know if I am supposed to be backing up my save somewhere or something.

http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

All of the Anarky, Black Mask, Penguin (etc.) stuff carries over too. I think even the flight points carry over, although they're reset on I Am The Night mode.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

This new DLC seems to be a big download (if that's what it actually is)...I thought it was just a new combat and predator map? Or is there also story stuff like Harley Quinn's Revenge?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I preordered the game on Steam and I had to get Black Mask separately, so I dunno. It wasn't covered by the season pass, either.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The next game should have a skin where you get to play as Calendar Man's original costume:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

As others have said, I understand the reasons behind Batman's No Kill rule. But I find it absurd to have stories where the Joker walks around as a nominally free man (i.e. escaped from Arkham) and absolutely no one just shoots the rear end in a top hat.

If you read the comics for any sustained amount of time, Joker's body count would basically be a significant chunk of Gotham - everyone would have an aunt or uncle who died because of Joker's crazy schemes.

Yeah, I remember reading some stories about gangsters who were so odious to the police that when they inevitably got whacked by their mob rivals, the cops would just do a cursory, half-assed investigation and then let it drop. Costumed vigilante or no, I think if psychotic lunatics like the Joker or Mad Hatter turned up one day with their necks snapped, the GCPD probably wouldn't do much about it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sober posted:

Henchmen dialogue in free roam is okay. It ranges from what you said "oh woe is me I have to resort to crime on Christmas eve" to "Batman is a thing? Really?" and if you spend enough time inbetween story events in the city the henchemen that litter the city do in fact have lines for recent events (depending on what faction they are) and stuff like crimes in progress and enemies on rooftops change accordingly, which is a nice touch.

Didn't you hear the thugs debating about how Batman goes to the can? I thought it was pretty funny at least.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Could somebody either tell me or link me a walkthrough that shows how to get to the evidence room in the GCPD? I've just reached the server room and it wants me to go back and get the disruptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqH0DTj7DIo

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

raditts posted:

Everyone saying how brilliant the Lacey Towers part was, did I miss something or did Batman go all Adrian Monk and somehow deduce that the Joker, a man he had never met and had only recently even heard of, was behind the whole thing due to finding a couple of loving jacks lying on the ground?

I don't quite remember, but I think that he saw that Roman's girlfriend sent some texts saying that someone called "The Joker" was coming after them.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Aw, jeez, I think I screwed myself out of the "Worst Nightmare" achievement on the first run. Anywhere you can find propane tanks in the open world?

Not really, no. Although they don't always appear in predator rooms, either. Where in the game are you? They have one when you first enter the Sionis Steel Mill and another in the GCPD.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Well, I hope you were intending to do a New Game+ anyways :sigh:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I just noticed that if you play the predator maps as Bruce Wayne, there's no intercom announcing that a thug had been taken out. So you're free to go crazy with the silent takedowns, it's like playing with a cheat code or something.

Also, there's no way to do quick takedowns on martial arts guys, right?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah but that was almost entirely due to Jack Nicholson being awesome as the Joker since he was just Nicholson turned up to 11. And Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent, who supposedly took the role just to be Two-Face.

Most people were expecting Batman '89 to be an Adam West-style cheesefest, so the whole dark tone of the movie was a welcome surprise.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Something i'm not sure I care for about Batman as a whole is his emotional stability regarding his parents death. Would seeing your parents get killed really gently caress you up that bad, to make you want to turn into a bat? And if it did, wouldn't Alfred's first duty as his guardian be to commit that crazy bastard in Arkham? I think I prefer how Batman Begins deals with his pscyhe by showing how his parents death simply lead to a series of events that made him Batman, rather than the idea that Batman is thinking about his dead parents constantly while fighting thugs. When put in that light....Batman is loving creepy.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

raditts posted:

Brave and the Bold Batman is a close second, and at the very least refreshing after 20-some years of brooding grimdark Batman.

That show was awesome and I love how reading the episode descriptions makes the show sound completely insane:

"When he ends up buried alive by Gentleman Ghost, Batman uses a special meditation to leave his body and has an encounter with Deadman. With some tricks learned by Deadman, Batman has Green Arrow and Speedy dig out his body before it runs out of air so they can stop Gentleman Ghost from raising an army of the dead"

"Aquaman (depressed after being unable to stop a beluga whale hunt in the Bering Sea) accompanies Batman to the planet Rann to help space hero Adam Strange stop the Gordanian General Kreegar from obtaining the Eye of Zared and destroying Rann"

"After thwarting Crazy Quilt's art robbery, Batman is taken to 19th century London by Jason Blood's magic to help Jason Blood when he's framed for a series of crimes committed by Jim Craddock who is stealing souls for Astaroth for immortality. Etrigan and Batman are aided in their investigations by the legendary Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson"

"Batman chases Gorilla Grodd into the future (who used the technology of Professor Carter Nichols) and teams up with Kamandi to stop him. When Gorilla Grodd takes over leadership of the Gorilla Men from Ramjam, Batman tries to convince Prince Tuftan's father Great Caesar to help fight Gorilla Grodd"

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Skoll posted:

Just looking at that, I have to wonder if Bob Kane ever visualized something as goofy as a grown man in a grey and black suit with purple gloves just viciously beating the poo poo out of common street criminals.

I read something by him where he said that he originally wanted the character to have a black costume, but the ink all ran together into an incomprehensible mess. 1940s comic book art wasn't really all that sophisticated, I guess.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I always love Batman's disgruntled "Ughh..." face as he hauls himself out of the water.

Well, just imagine how many dead mobsters are in there.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I once spent the majority of a fight just sliding around the floor.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What? No, you have saves in I Am The Night mode...it'll save your checkpoints as normal, but you lose it all if you die.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Speaking of which, that 'palate cleanser' effect happened for me recently watching the batman Adam West movie, and some episodes of the series. It's weird, but since Batman spans so many generations written in so many ways, going back to this sillier time is a nice way to 'balance' out the modern Batman by taking the piss out of the overly-dark pretentious bullshit the character often becomes mired in.

What's funny is that the Adam West TV show was actually pretty faithful to the comics at the time - it's just that the comics at the time were kind of goofy. Still, it was in full, vibrant colour, it was packed with action, and that batmobile was :krad: The stories were stupid, but it was a good show nonetheless!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sober posted:

Is the predator map in the Black Mask challenge pack basically the predator room in the Steel Mill?

Yep.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Wayne Manor Armory combat map was great though, because it was the best place to practice your blade dodge takedowns.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

With Deathstroke, I find that being aggressive with the batclaw slam helps. It takes away a decent chunk of his health and he doesn't seem to dodge it that much.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Anyone know if AC pre-GOTY saves will work with the GOTY edition? In other words, I stored all my saves before Steam gave us the GOTY version. So now I'd like to reinstall AC and give it a whirl but I don't want to play through the whole story just to do some challenge maps.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's great, thanks!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Croc likes to eat people, as does Batman[citation needed]

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, Batman's honour code about not killing people seems a little flimsy when he leaves behind a trail of quadraplegics who have to be fed through a tube.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That kind of reminds me of an episode of Justice League Unlimited that I watched, "The Man Who Has Everything." Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman come across a telepathic creature that, when attached to the victim, shows them visions of what they desire the most. It attaches to Batman and he gets stuck in a dream, of course, of him at 8 years old leaving the movie theatre with his parents. A mugger appears, but his dad heroically punches and disarms him. Hooray, you say! A happy turn of events for Bruce! But then his dad keeps punching...and punching....and punching. Diana finally catches up to Bruce and he's got this euphoric grin on his face, all the while dreaming about his old man pounding some dude into hamburger. I had to laugh, though that probably wasn't the intended effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly as much as I love Batman, I think I'd rather seem them take this template and adapt it to some other DC character like Superman or any of the Justice League.

Aquaman: Adventures in Atlantis!

• Locked thread