Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Batman feels a bit slower this time around, his fighting is not as fluid as in Asylum but his moves feel heavier. The gliding is much better than in City though, it is easier to gain speed and height from the divebomb now.

Heh. You know that is probably on purpose. In Arkham City, Batman said his large belt was slowing him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I've got a pretty easy metric for if someone on the fence will probably enjoy Arkham Origins. Do you want more of the same we've seen in Arkham City, with the only real additions being a significantly larger map, a new and decent storyline, and a few new gadgets? That's literally it.

If yes: It's probably worth the $50 to you. I'm really enjoying it myself. It's really fun and one of the boss fights I've been in so far was pretty good.

If no: You should skip it. There is a decent amount of content but again you've already played this game before back in 2011.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 25, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does it actually re-use some or all of the city model itself?

Yeah, half of the map is Arkham City before it was walled off.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is a dumb question sorry but has that broken tower been fixed yet? I really want to do a new game plus but want to do everything this time.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

That's fine but he doesn't need to be the big bad in every drat game.

I think you're right but on the other hand it really just makes sense that he is. He's Batman's foil in every possible way. Where Bruce Wayne is basically western society's vision of the perfect male, The Joker is not special in any way, he's just a really intelligent person- that's it. Beyond his ability to make you laugh and horrify you at the same time, he's just a (insane) normal man.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 25, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

pengun101 posted:

It seems every 20 pages or so, someone jumps on old hobbyhorse of "batman is an evil fascist who punches impoverished innocent criminals and he is just as bad as hitler/arkham city is sexist because psychos call catwoman a bitch and say awful hosed up things because they are psychos" tumblrite rant. Batman isn't real life, it doesn't have the nuance of real life. Its about a dude who dresses like a bat and kicks the poo poo out of a clown/burn victim/plant woman/ roid user and leaves them for the police. Also the henchmen in the arkham games are supposed to be all hardened psycho sick fucks or mercenaries who run over their own sister if their costumed boss asked them, of course they are going to call catwoman sexist poo poo/rape threats. because they are the baddies.

edit: off that topic, what do you think they are going to do with Hush in knight?

Honestly? I think Scarecrow will end up being Hush, or something like that. Scarecrow's motivations have completely changed. Arkham Knight will probably actually be a genuinely new character but there is gonna be a bait and switch somewhere.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah it always annoyed me that you could listen in on a guy talk about his plans to become an accountant and help other criminals go straight, but then the instant the guy sees you he runs straight at you and tries to knife you over and over and over even if you just stand there.

Yeah. I'd take the idea that Batman is some hyper-fascist icon more seriously if mooks like this showed up in the Arkham series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMd4S-LkywI Batman in reality is a bad idea, that's why nobody is Batman.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know I really hate the New Game Pluses for the Arkham series so far. I really dislike that it disables the counter indicators. In itself it's not a big deal but to me, the combat itself isn't hard and you can just power your way through typically.

Challenge is important in video games but I really wish I could turn it back on for the harder difficulties. To me the challenge for the arkham series of games isn't how I can lose in combat, but making combat as brutally efficient as possible. Because Batman.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Yeah I can understand this. I guess I just want a break from the joker AND a more interesting villain to replace him with.

You might want to try another superhero my friend.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't think that would've turned out well. SoM's nemesis system is really impressive, but in order for it to work the devs had to strip the environment and game structure of most of its other features.

There is some truth to this, but the nemesis system added so much story and characterization to the game. My ultimate nemesis in the game was Nezghrul the Duelist. He easily killed me the first time we met and continually butted heads, with him being the victor. Near the end of the first zone I finally track him down and kill him in a really fantastic, and difficult duel. Blood streaming down his face he says to me: "My tears aren't for me, but for all the Uruk you've slain!! For WHAT?!". I slice off his head in slow motion, but realize- he's right. I've massacred so many to get to where I am at this point. Even in his death he was still beating me. The victory genuinely felt hollow. That and he gave me a blue-quality item. gently caress that guy.

I don't think a Batman game could do the nemesis system justice though. Batman losing to a mook and the mook getting more powerful just doesn't fit the theme of being Batman. Batman is about how you're the generic guy's absolute worst nightmare. Something like Far Cry or Elder Scrolls or whatever? Hell yeah sign me up.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

CuwiKhons posted:

Maybe one of the Rogues offs them as a threat. That's not really a victory for Batman though :v:

I think if a nemesis system were to work, it wouldn't be based on your defeats at all- and at most the mook would turn into something like the Electrocutioner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYH7K_IRTfw

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Arkham Knight sorta sounds like Troy Baker. So that's probably a hint as to who he really is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_vqzYOvgvc

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

If you didn't figure out after the Mass Effect 3 fiasco that Ben Kuchera is a really entitled narcissistic idiot, you should do so now.

• Locked thread