Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
"I won't stand a chance against that many armed men."

Also, reconfirming that this works for a new page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDLaojdCCw
I even managed to do it with a gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
oh god quote != edit

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
It's possible to complete the Dark Knight challenges in challenge maps accessed through the Batcave, right? Because otherwise it's going to be a real pain in the rear end to get some of these...

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Sober posted:

Nope, just tried. Didn't get anything.

:negative:
Oh well, thank you for checking. I would have done it myself, but for some reason I can't fast travel - all of the icons are greyed out. I'm hoping that it's just until I complete the next major plot objective and not because the game constantly thinks I'm in a fight or something.

On the other hand, the PhysX eye candy in this game is amazing. I just walked around in some fog for a bit because of the way it swirls around and interacts with Batman and his cape. :pcgaming:

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Jurgan posted:

I've had the same problem. There should be a "takedown" command, but it doesn't show up.

I'm pretty sure that it either has to be during an actual predator segment or that it at least has to be against an armed enemy. Unarmed ones just swing wildly and pop up the counter lightning bolts, but armed thugs are actually vulnerable to silent takedowns.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't say it is missing anything so much as it feels like people tinkering around in a machine they're scared to change much in case it stops working. It is a fun game but it's a very very safe game. They take no unnecessary risks and make only the barest of changes. It 'feels' more like an expansion pack (in terms of design, not game length/content) than a sequel.

To be fair, though, Rocksteady is working on a proper sequel to Arkham City. Any major changes introduced in Arkham Origins would probably have to be included in the next Arkham game or it would feel like something was missing, but Rocksteady has probably already started planning and making their own changes that might not work with whatever changes might have been introduced in Origins. Granted, they played it really safe with things like glue grenades serving the exact same function as ice grenades, but I have a feeling that their hands were more or less tied in terms of the changes that they could introduce.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

VogeGandire posted:

You all know this is how the series should end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

Oddly enough, that reminds me... in terms of atmosphere, I think Origins comes closest to recreating the atmosphere of Burton's Batman movies and The Animated Series. For me, Asylum really evoked a comic book Batman and Arkham City, which was absolutely riddled ( :haw: ) with trophies and bathed in their neon green glow, felt a lot like Batman Forever. I've really been enjoying exploring the city, flying back and forth, getting in random fights, solving crimes, etc., in Origins just because the environment feels so much better to me.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I like this game, I really do, but the Dark Knight progression/unlock system tied to completing challenges could have used a little more thought. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't that many actual predator challenges and they are all tied to the story, so there are limited opportunities to actually complete the predator tree. Combined with challenges like completing predator encounters with no detective vision (and without being seen), performing four exotic or loud takedowns in one encounter, or getting something like seven different types of takedown in a single encounter, it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of the actual story progression. I feel like I have to approach every predator challenge in the specific way that the game wants me to or I won't have enough opportunities to round out the tree. I have no idea why they would make it impossible to complete the challenges in challenge rooms, and it sounds like the predator rooms don't repopulate like they did in Arkham City, so the predator Dark Knight track is just a pain in the rear end.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest problem is the Hanging Ledge takedown which can only be used in extremely few areas in extreme specific situations. If they'd used any other kind of takedown that challenge would be trivial.

Also, the fact that they require a vent takedown from behind a vent, and not a grate takedown from the floor grates that are all over every predator room, is pretty rough. How often are there predator rooms where you can get into the vents and the enemies actually patrol close enough to them to make that takedown actually viable? In Asylum and City I only remember performing vent takedowns when ducts led directly to predator rooms and there was a stationary enemy planted right in front of the vents - as close to a scripted scenario as I can think of.

And that's what, level 4 or 5, worth 5000xp? And then level 11 is to take down an enemy with a sonic shock batarang, which anybody could do with his eyes closed, and it's worth 15000xp.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Red Mundus posted:

I'm pretty sure critical counters are bugged. I've waited until the last second to counter and it still doesn't do anything.

Yeah, I can't get the timing on critical counters at all. Sometimes I land a critical counter, sometimes I don't, so I don't really go out of my way to try for them. It's just a nice bonus that sometimes I get two points added to my combo instead of one, I guess. Also, I just can't get the timing for knife dodging/knife takedowns, when I had no problem with them in Asylum or City.

edit:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The gargoyles on the other side of the rooftop - quick-zip up to the closest one (don't light on it) to launch off of it, do a quick 180 towards the Soder-Cola sign, divebomb for about 1-2 seconds, then yank back...hard. You need to divebomb to catch the air to gain altitude to make the glide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkuYxfBECPc

Skip to ~2:25 for a demo on how to do it.

Holy poo poo, seriously? I just used my grapnel gun to pull myself straight up to the roof, and then I kind of wondered why it was a challenge at all. This makes a lot more sense. Maybe the game was trying to make up for the Burnley Tower vent by giving me a freebie.

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 28, 2013

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
For all of my complaining about the predator Dark Knight challenges, they are making me approach predator rooms differently and it's definitely making them tenser experiences. I just unlocked the Sonic Shock Batarang, and I wound up going for four loud takedowns in the fight against Deadshot and it actually made the fight difficult instead of just being another Two-Face/Harley Quinn (in Harley's Revenge) fight. Looking for an opening to do a ledge takedown when there was a laser sweeping around the room was tough but it worked, and when the message popped up saying that I had completed the challenge it was like finishing the Mr. Freeze fight in Arkham City.

I just wish that you could do the challenges in challenge mode :(

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Beeez posted:

Ah, well then I'm an idiot. I should've kept better track of which ones are meant to be done multiple times and which ones are meant to be done once. Still a bit annoyed by the fact that if I run out of predator rooms I have no chance to do all these challenges in one game, though.

After a certain point in the game it seems like every drat rooftop is covered in armed thugs or snipers, and the Penguin's ship and the GCPD rooftop seem to be respawning predator areas. I haven't found a roof with destructible walls and vents, or one with gargoyles and floor grates, so I don't think it's possible to complete the challenges that require them, but I think that other challenges should be possible.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I got the hanging ledge takedown in the first run through the bank, which also has closed two-sided vents and breakable walls. If you missed your opportunity during the plot, there is another run through that same area during the Deadshot fight... during which I was able to get the second set of takedowns (the loud one), because it has floor grates and gargoyles to hang guys from.

The bank has that central raised walkway, but I wasn't able to get the hanging ledge takedown from there. Along the sides are some, I don't know, display cases with tops lower than the central walkway. You can stand on those and get the hanging ledge takedown.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but for me during the Deadshot fight, when the last wave of armed thugs walked in, the thug with the jammer backpack clipped into a sign right next to the door and become unkillable, so I had to take out the entire drat room with my detective vision jammed. Ugghhh.

edit:
Also, completely unrelated, but why doesn't Steam cloud saving allow you to restore your save from a backup? This is hardly the first game that has had problems with corrupted saves, and if you look at the amount of data used by Steam cloud saves vs. the amount of data available per game, you'll notice that you have a ton of unused space... so why not store a previous save or two and allow gamers to restore those backup saves if the current save becomes corrupted? It seems like a no-brainer.

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 28, 2013

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RatHat posted:

Er, there are more than 4 takedowns you know.

I'm pretty sure he means the lower-tier one with four silent takedowns, in which case it is four specific ones: vent (not grate) takedown, explosive gel takedown, corner takedown, and ledge (not hanging ledge) takedown.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

raditts posted:

You have to be ducking at the edge of a ledge (not sitting on the rail or anything like that), and your victim has to be directly below you under the ledge, maybe a little bit out from it. It's loving difficult to get, and the one time I did my game glitched out and turned Batman into a pacifist who refused to duck or run.

One thing that also seems to help, both for ledge takedowns and hanging takedowns, is to look straight down while waiting for the prompt.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I managed to get through it without taking too much damage. I avoided stringing together more than a couple of hits without throwing in a dodge, tried not to get surrounded, and spammed the concussion grenade (not the explosive gel) when the enemies got bunched up. Once you hit the stage where she starts zipping around, just dodge like crazy. Dodge all the time.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
If anybody is going for that annoying 50x combo/15 variation challenge, here is a list of attacks to use:
-Strike
-Counter
-Evade
-Cape Stun
-Ultra Stun
-Ground Pound
-Beatdown
-Aerial Attack
-Y+B Takedown
-A+X Bat Swarm
-A+B Multi-ground Takedown
-X+Y Search and Destroy
-LT+X Explosive Gel
-LT+Y Bat Claw
-LT+B Concussion Detonator
-LT+LT Batarang
-RT+RT Glue Grenade

That's 17, so it shouldn't be too difficult, but I've been having trouble finding a fight big enough. I'm sure progressing the plot would help, but I've been doing side stuff while waiting for a patch, because this thread has me so goddamned nervous that I'm going to run into a game-stopping issue :(

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Anybody else missing a Riddler informant? Do they ever spawn anywhere other than the main overworld map? I don't see any on my map, so I might just be screwed. THIS GAME.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I don't think it's a bug, I think it's copy protection gone wrong. If memory serves, the previous Arkham games had some wacky copy protection that made the camera spin or made grapnel hooking a pain in the rear end, so I wouldn't put it past them to put in stupid things like, oh I don't know, vents that you can't crawl into or enemies that are too aggressive and counters that don't work properly, but then screwing up that implementation and forcing it on everybody. The patch notes for the upcoming patch on Steam refer to them removing an "ownersonly" section type, so I really wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be the problem. The fact that just about everybody playing on PC is complaining about the terrible new counter timing and a lot of console players aren't doesn't help my opinion.

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 30, 2013

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

gently caress. YES.

That's two Dark Knight challenge tracks complete. Oddly enough I'm having trouble finding propane tanks to try to knock three enemies down with. Any pointers for that one?

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Reveilled posted:

I think that's the last straw for me. This is why single-save entirely automated save systems are loving poo poo, a corrupted save means you either stop playing until a patch, or start the entire goddamn game all over again. I wish I had liked this game more, but it really had a death by a thousand cuts thing going on, so many little things that dragged the experience down, and now, apparently right at the end, a corrupted save. :(

This is why I will never understand why Steam cloud saving doesn't allow users to store sequential saves and restore them from backup. We all have tons of available space, so it isn't like space is an issue. I really don't give a flying gently caress about how game designers intend for me to play their games or what they claim it does to balance or whatever bullshit excuse they would come up with, because this kind of problem always crops up. Saves get corrupted, checkpoints routinely screw players by trapping them in unwinnable or inescapable situations, and the only solution is to manually back up a file. It isn't exactly difficult to do, but why make us jump through the hoops when we are all already using a system to remotely store and retrieve saves?

Sequential saving and checkpoints will never go away and manual saving will never come back because of the dominance of consoles. As long as developers are going to make us suffer under lovely saving regimes, why shouldn't Valve help us out by automating what a lot of us already do?

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 1, 2013

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RadicalWall posted:

If it makes you feel better you never confront or even see him.

And he isn't even the Riddler yet. Truly, a letdown in all regards.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Grem posted:

How long are these credits, gently caress.

Once it hits QA you probably have about four names left.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
It's just like Call of Duty - when Treyarch took over the series it freed up Infinity Ward to work on the projects that they really wanted to work on.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
It looks like a new patch just went up.

WB Support posted:

Patch 7 now live. This Patch fixes the following:

Fixed Bane not spawning in prison
Fix elevator that won’t move when generator is charged in GothamBridge
Fix for getting stuck outside of GCPD shooting range
Fix Jezebel Plaza Objective never clearing away after interrogating Santa Hat Thug

I'm starting to get a little more confident that I'll actually be able to play through this without running into a game-breaking bug.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Burnley Tower was patched more than a week ago. Steam automatically updates legitimately owned games.

Shindragon posted:

edit: Are you making sure that getting all updates is ticked in properties?

Steam automatically applies the latest updates to a game when you try to start it. You can choose whether to have Steam automatically patch games before you try to start them up, but Steam will always make sure that you are playing the latest version of the game when you try to start it.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
If the camera is zoomed in too far for you, try changing the FOV.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Origins#Field_of_view_.28FOV.29
I used a keybind to change the FOV to 90 and it looked pretty good, although some parts had a little too much fisheye distortion for me. The same fix worked in Asylum and City but I had the same problem with it, so I'm still not entirely sure I want it changed. That actually works out, though, because the keybind solution isn't permanent and sometimes reverts after cutscenes. The bottom solution with like 20 lines of .ini editing looks more permanent.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
It looks like there was another patch.

WB Support posted:

Patch 8 for PC now live. This Patch fixes the following:

Fixed buildings not properly loading when fast traveling
Disabled invalid collision object in Mad Hatter level, which was preventing some people from crossing the river
Fix for save corruption after Deadshot boss fight

I hope nobody minds that I'm c/ping the patch notes. Whenever patches go live for games I always wind up looking for the patch notes and it can be kind of a pain in the rear end, so when other people do this in threads for other games I wind up appreciating it.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Let's see if this works...
Here is a copy of my save. I haven't started New Game+ at all yet. I have collected all of the data packs, scanned all of the Anarky tags, scanned all of the Pinkney pages, received all of Alfred's droll wisdom, and completed three of the four Dark Knight challenge trees. The only challenges left to complete are to take out three enemies with one propane tank and to pull two enemies over ledges.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2IaU_cxgpEjbDk5UkhxZlBzZTg/edit?usp=drive_web

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
So I was just starting New Game+ and took a look at the visitor sign-in sheet in Blackgate:

Somebody's been busy...

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
For the person asking about I Am the Night Mode and 100% completion:

I Am the Night Mode does not count toward 100% completion.

Also, while playing through New Game+ I spotted this in the base of the bridge during the Firefly segment.

In Arkham City it probably just would have been a riddle. Anyway, who the gently caress are the Court of Owls?

edit: Isn't there a way to spoiler images? I could swear I've seen spoiler tagged images before...

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 11, 2013

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Orv posted:

May very well be a bug.

In this game? I dunno...

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I must be easily pleased because while the bugginess has been very disappointing, I'm willing to put up with it while waiting for patches and just enjoy the game for what it is. I must be one of the only people who thinks the changes to combat made the game more challenging (in a fun way). I never expected the quantum leap that we got from Asylum to City, so I'm just happy to have more Batman content while I wait for Rocksteady's next game in the next year or two.

Nope, that's exactly how I feel. I really like this game, even if they didn't knock it out of the park. The only bugs I've run into have been the Burnley Tower bug and the Mad Hatter bug, and then a couple of minor things like enemies getting stuck in terrain or Batman punching them through walls, which is the kind of stuff I also saw in Asylum and City so I'm a little more willing to forgive. I guess people have forgotten that having PhysX on still makes Asylum crash in certain places, or that City is still jerky as hell even on really good setups. The actual content and gameplay of Origins are very good, just not as great as Asylum or City. If this were the only Arkham game I'm pretty sure everybody would be talking about how great it is. In comparison to Asylum and City, though, it doesn't hold up. It's really easy to tell that Rocksteady had love and passion for the material and were crafting the Batman game that they, as Batman fans, really wanted to see, whereas WB Montreal cranked out a sequel to a game with established gameplay and style.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RyokoTK posted:

Well I doubt there will be another jump so substantial as that. How do you escalate beyond Arkham City? Arkham County? Arkham Country? Big-rear end Arkham World?

A Justice League game that takes place in multiple cities (Gotham, Metropolis, Blüdhaven) and features unique gameplay for every character.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Also, at certain points in the story you will be unable to fast travel. For instance, after leaving the GCPD for the first time and being told to head for the sewers, you will be unable to fast travel even though you are outside.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
If it makes you (and NthMan) feel better, Conroy let slip that he was working on the "next game in the Arkham series" before everything was announced about Origins, so unless they had him in a studio recording lines that they never planned on including in a game, the next Arkham game (presumably from Rocksteady) will star Conroy as Batman.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

MMAgCh posted:

It's because vaulting over/Aerial Attacking stun rod/shield thugs gets extremely loving old very quickly, more so when there are issues like shield thugs sometimes attacking so preternaturally quickly right after you attack an enemy that there's virtually no chance of dodging them.

I don't doubt that there are players who have to have D&D just to deal with these enemies at all, but even when you know how to take care of them otherwise they tend to severely outstay their welcome in any reasonably well–populated fight.

The nice thing about those thugs is that you hit them once and they magically turn into regular thugs that you can attack any way you want to. Is it really so terrible to have enemies that force you to break your routine of just hitting X and Y?

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RyokoTK posted:

Stun rods, and shields in particular, are pretty much specifically designed to annoy you into focusing them down first. Punching them until they simply drop the weapon removes the threat for maybe two seconds until someone else picks it up. Why on earth would people want to eliminate deliberately irritating combo-ruiners from fight scenes? I can't loving imagine.

Why on earth would people want fight scenes with no challenge, in which the player can just mash X and win? There are so many options for dealing with shields and stun baton enemies, and you get more and more options as the game progresses. It is trivially easy to spot an enemy going for a weapon on the ground and prevent him from picking it up. There's no reason to dumb down the game and remove any semblance of variation in the gameplay just because some people can't be bothered to learn to use tools that have been in the series for three games now.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, mashing X to win totally describes every fight in every game before shields show up, and the gameplay of Arkham in general. :rolleyes:

Umm, it doesn't? Just about every single fight in City wound up being "push X, knock guy down, jump-twist 20 feet to next guy, push X, knock him down, repeat." There wasn't a whole lot of variety or challenge in that combat. Asylum had even less variation.

RyokoTK posted:

Shields aren't hard to deal with, they're just not fun to deal with, and doing aerial attack over and over again to disable them tediously slows down the pace of combat for no benefit.

If you have to do aerial attack (or disarm & destroy, or instant takedown, or a shock glove attack, or...) more than once per shield in a fight then you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RyokoTK posted:

You're right, camping a weapon drop like I'm a ten-year-old playing Quake 2 for the first time is the height of Batman to me. My point that shield enemies are simply tedious and not fun to deal with stands.

You don't have to camp a weapon drop to manage the combat area properly, which is really what combat in the Arkham series is all about - looking at the numbers and types of enemies, their locations relative to Batman, whether they are running toward Batman or actively attacking, whether they are stunned and vulnerable to a ground or multi-takedown, whether they are running for a weapon crate... and watching whether they are running toward or picking up a weapon or shield, which has been part of the series since Asylum.

• Locked thread