Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Surprised how similar the Joker voice actor sounds to Mark Hamill. To me it sounds almost spot on (although I'm pretty sure I'm also one of the few who was extremely happy with the job done by the new Harley voice actor in Arkham City, so take that as you will.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I honestly think this looks terrible. It's like someone made a bad licensed game based on Arkham proper. No amount of lovely motion comics is going to help, either.

Felt the same. Was planning on getting it day one, but after that trailer I might wait and see critic reactions.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Looked back a few pages and couldn't see this mentioned (although I could have missed it): Arkham Origins has had an ios game released. I've only played a little, and it seems almost exactly the same as the ios Injustice game from a few months back.

I'm hesitant to play much more as I'm worried it may spoil some of the story or something, although so far it has kept the identity of the final two assassins secret so it may be safe? Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in case those sort of games interest anyone here.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I'm reserving judgement for the actual game (pre-ordered at 25% on GMG) but the new Batman and Joker actors sound like they're trying really hard to be Kevin and Mark but it's not working.

I completely disagree in regards to the Joker voice actor. Sounds close to Mark's Joker, and I could definitely believe it's a younger version.

The Batman actor doesn't sound like he is trying to do Kevin's Batman at all to me. I'm not sure if I like Batman's new voice yet, but I love the sound of the new Joker actor.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Is this a worldwide release on Friday? In other words if I use an Aussie VPN, can I unlock on Thursday?

Just a heads up, on steam it's showing as an October 26th release (Australia) so it may not be the earliest option if you're looking to play ASAP (could be a mistake though? not sure).

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Isn't October 26 in Australia October 25 in America?

Yeah pretty much, but our retail stores here are still saying release date is October 25th.

Edit: Ah okay, I get it now, yeah so it will release at the same time on steam in Australia as in the US. However you can probably get it in stores in Australia nearly a day early because of time zones.

Double Edit: Funny though, as the PC version bought in stores probably won't be able to play until steam unlock time anyhow.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 22, 2013

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Doctor Albatross posted:

Launch trailer just dropped! I'm not going to watch it because I've already seen way too much coverage, but enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoTAQr1jBuY

Well, the trailer looks good to me. It seriously looks like just more Arkham City, which is exactly what I'm hoping for.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Anyone know how to put the waypoint back on the main story objective? I did a side mission (set a waypoint to it) but now that I've completed it I can't find where to go. I'm fairly early in the game, just finished Final Offer. I know the name of the place I need to go, but there's nothing on my map showing the waypoint (like how the previous games had it).

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where the gently caress do you go after the Deathstroke fight? I beat him but have no idea what to do next.

I already used the remote claw to get up to the door which turned out to be locked.

Oh, my game was bugged here. Had to quit to menu and go back in. Door wouldn't open until I did.

paint dry posted:

Haha this game sounds really bad. I've already played the other two games, I don't need to play the exact loving thing again. Not if I'm paying full price at least.

Okay thanks for dropping by.

EDIT:

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

I am terrible at videogames and would like help.

The Deathstroke boss fight: What's the trick to beating him? Am I just supposed to keep countering him, or is there a sequence of moves I'm supposed to be puzzling out? I'm not having a lot of fun just circling him and countering and trying to hit him and getting pushed back and etc etc etc

If the explanation is THE BAT IS OUT OF HIS ELEMENT AND IT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE THIS IS A HARD BOSS FIGHT then that's loving stupid and not fun.

I had trouble with this fight at first, but it was really easy once I worked it out. You need to resist the urge to counter every single attack. Be patient and wait for the counter sign. When he counters your attack, it's usually 3 swings before the counter icon appears. It gives you slightly longer than usual to counter when the time is right (compared to your average thugs). This is on hard difficulty.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 25, 2013

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Bugs I've had:

- Being trapped in a room because the doors wouldn't open (had to quit to menu and go back in to resolve.)
- Main quest waypoint being lost after doing a side quest. Finally found where to go and is working fine now, but was very frustrating at the time.
- Just now, I pulled a grate open with the batclaw and used grapple to get up to it, but Batman won't climb into it (even though it's obvious it's exactly where I'm supposed to go as there were similar situations in both previous games.

Apart from the bugs, there's a really good game here. I just wish I didn't keep having fun interrupted by bug frustration.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Ever since I saw a 17 minute preview walkthrough of Arkham Origins I have wanted to do this:

"I won't stand a chance against that many armed men".
Challenge accepted.
http://imgur.com/Mkoh2fq (linked in case considered spoiler)

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the tower in Burnley problem. Out of curiosity, those who have problems with it: What platform are you playing the game on? Mine's PC.

I looked up a video on youtube of it and saw they didn't have the same problem, so I presume it may work on the consoles.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

I've always appreciated the series for putting more effort into the PC versions than your average console port, so this is super disappointing to hear.

Apart from the bugs mentioned in the thread already, PC version is still cool. I'd recommend a controller though, as these games always feel much better with one.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I don't know I'm imagining things, but as I progress through the game I'm noticing something:

is it just me, or is Batman's voice slowly becoming more and more like Kevin Conroy's version of the character as you progress through the story? Like I'm at the point where I was almost convinced the voice actor had changed, it seems so similar... Even Alfred just made a comment about his voice, although I'm tired so I might be completely making this up? poo poo, I don't know.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Just tried 'I am the Night' mode. Didn't want those 3-4 hours anyhow. Made it to the first Bane fight, which is exactly where I thought I would die. Most the game is pretty easy for me, but this boss is my only real problem. I think having to fight Bane twice throughout the game with almost identical mechanics is going to be the hardest to deal with for this mode. Would love it if there was a way to load up a boss fight and try it over and over until I can perfect the mechanics. I'm getting better at this boss, but still make mistakes. Thought I would also mention, in case anyone was wondering: 'I am the Night' mode is 'New Game +' difficulty.

Also tried multiplayer today. Cool concept, pretty terrible execution. Do we need a leveling system in every multiplayer game these days? I feel old as gently caress saying this, but I remember back when online games were fun enough to hold our attention without a lovely grind for better weapons. Also, out of about 10 games so far I've yet to have a proper 3v3v2 match.

Oh well I bought the game for the single player mode, and am pretty satisfied with it apart from the bugs. At least they seem intent on fixing them, just a pity they didn't catch most of them before launch.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Reveilled posted:

There was more to it. Bane says stuff like "once I kill you I will have peace", Batman and Bane occasionally say things that suggest they've met in the past, and the Joker implies that Bane is in this for revenge by commenting that he apparently prefers his dishes served cold.

There was a line in Arkham Asylum where Batman says something like "No Bane, this time I break you!" (at least I think it was Asylum). Bane never really 'broke' Batman in Origins, so perhaps this happened before the game. That's presuming WB Montreal considered that line.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Except Origins is only year two into Batman's career. Bane breaking Batman's back happened well after this point.

Do you mean in this continuity or the comic continuity? I know it takes place later in his career in the comics, but this game is forging its own timeline. If Bane has a beef with Batman in Origins, it could be related to him breaking Batman at an earlier point to the Origins game. We don't know a huge deal on what happened before the game. It's a stretch, but as it was pointed out it did seem like there was some kind of history between the two already in Origins.

"Bane. What is he doing in Gotham?" was a line early in the game which indicates Batman already knows Bane.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

NarDmw posted:

Actually you can easily reload from checkpoint at anytime during 'I am the Night' mode. It makes the entire achievement trivial as you can reload before you die to start again.

Ugh. I was worried that would be the case.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

This thread has made Deathstroke go from one of my hardest assassins to fight to one of my by far easiest to fight (Grapple spam works far too well against him, just beat him on I am the Night mode without taking a single hit from him)

Now someone tell me the ultimate strategy for Bane (both normal non-t1 fights) and I'll be set to finish I am the Night mode (I'm trying again, even though I know you can cheat it. I need to do it honest for my own satisfaction.)

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I haven't had any of the problems with the predator rooms at all. If anything they're a bit too easy now with the remote claw.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Well poo poo, got up to the Steel Mill in I Am The Night, took out a sniper with a silent takedown in the predator room ahead of freeing Black Mask and suddenly two other snipers locked in on me out of nowhere and blew me away before I had a chance to react.

Hahaha, my latest attempt ended at the exact same point with the exact same death. Don't think I've ever used as many profanities before as when I saw those two sniper lasers lock onto me. Wish I had remembered to use smoke pellet, instead I panicked and just tried to grapple away immediately.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 11, 2013

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Those preview pictures for the DLC look pretty cool. The concept art of the building reminds me a lot of the Batman Begins building in the mountain Bruce trained at (which I'm pretty sure is exactly what it's inspired from).

I hope the DLC is similar in length to Harley Quinn's Revenge for City (although more interesting, I hope!)

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Man, let me tell you the most interesting part of Batman was how he beat up ninjas in some random temple and not the loving streets of Gotham.

Yeah man what the gently caress, why make a new location when they can just put those suckers in the city they already have?

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Ooh, I didn't realize this was just a challenge map. I just remember hearing more story DLC was coming then heard of this DLC and got the two confused. Oh well, still hope it's more to it than "your final challenge is to defeat 10 ninjas!".

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Regarding the new DLC: it was surprisingly good. I was expecting just 1-2 challenges, but 5 in the campaign was pretty great. Especially enjoyed the last one with Shiva, although I feel they probably should have increased the trophy scores for that one (I hit a 90k score before Shiva even appeared, just feels 50k for 3 trophies was a little low.) The actual fight was fun though.

I really like the format of the campaign having a little bit of a flavor cutscene before/after the challenges, and hope they continue this into future Batman games or DLC.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Why spoiler this? We know she is in the DLC because of the trailer.

Sorry, I didn't realize the trailer said "Shiva is the final boss of this DLC". Thought I might keep that hidden perhaps for those who are going in blind?

You can presume people are playing it safe if they put spoiler tags on new DLC in games. Hope that clears it up!

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Jetfire posted:

Something I came across while doing the data pack sweep: In the Royal Hotel's parking garage (Data Pack 15-8 by this guide's count): There's a data pack in a room that I had to enter using a duct from above. There's a security station right next to it that I can hack with the code "carcrash" but I don't know what it opens?

'Batman: Arkham Carcrash' confirmed.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Posted on the Arkham facebook page:

Edit: They posted with it: "You are cordially invited to the Humanitarian of the Year Awards at the Wayne Manor on New Year’s Eve."

Keeku fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 31, 2013

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

The announcement from the Arkham game facebook page:

"All-new STORY DLC coming in 2014!"

So Mr. Freeze by the look of it. I'm okay with that. I think there was a throwaway line in Arkham City by Oracle saying something like "careful with mr. freeze, remember what happened last time?". Could be relevant.

Edit: Would be cool too if this wasn't the only story DLC we get. Perhaps a story DLC introducing each of Batman's major rogues. We got the Joker/Penguin/Riddler introductions in the main game and possibly getting Mr Freeze in this DLC. Down the track it would be great to get a Two-Face or Scarecrow introduction through future DLC. I can dream.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 1, 2014

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Deathstroke isn't even slightly a challenge once you realize you can just spam batclaw until you win. I kinda hope they patch that (if they haven't already) because it took the fight from being a decent challenge to being far too easy. Having said that, I didn't like that it punished you for hitting the counter button 'too early' as it's pretty hard to break the habit of pressing counter as soon as you see an attack incoming. Would much prefer if they had made it you just had to time the counter hits exactly instead of ignoring the first couple hits then hitting counter.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I was really hoping for the Gotham tv show to be similar to Gotham Central. My hope was Batman would be well established, but rarely seen. When he is seen, it should always be from the shadows and in scenes with Gordon to help him out. Most the focus should be on the police (dealing with the usual poo poo in Gotham).

I think just about everyone has seen Batman's origin enough. A drawn out series of it sounds a bit boring, but if it's even close to Arrow in quality I'll tune in.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Tips to master Deathstroke:

1) Spam batclaw.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

So we're all agreed that Origins is fanfic, and that this is a trilogy right? Right?

I disagree. Once they fixed the worst bugs from the messy release, I thought Arkham Origins was a pretty decent game that just wasn't quite as good as the earlier releases (bringing less innovation). Beats the hell out of a lot of games out there, though.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

It looks like the Arkham Knight Gordon is an older version of the Arkham Origins Gordon. I don't know what happened to grandpa Gordon from AA and AC though. Bit of a pity but it's a comic book video game, so I just take it as this is a different artist's take on Gordon.

Arkham Origins Gordon & Arkham Knight Gordon

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

catlord posted:

Ok, having been playing it some more, I have to agree, something seems a little off with the combat. Maybe a bit of the camera and sometimes countering seems a little bugged. Like, I'll counter, but I'll do this weird little motion, I don't get hit, I don't counter hit, and my combo dies.

I just played through origins again to 100% it and got this bug a fair few times.

I encountered even more bugs in this play through then when I played it at release. I got no major bugs like at release, just a TON of minor bugs which I think have been introduced in patches. Either that or I was really lucky on my initial runs. There's a lot of good stuff in origins, I just wished they hadn't skipped testing before release.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Is anyone who's playing with "weird" combat using a controller or kbm? I used a wireless 360 controller on PC and felt no differences from City, really. And I'm usually pretty spergy about that kind of thing.

360 controller on PC for me. There's definitely a difference between City and Origins combat. I've been playing both recently. Origins seems a lot faster than City. Easy to notice if you play one after the other. On modes where you can see the warning indicators in combat you also see some enemies go to attack and then suddenly change their mind and stop. Problem is, if you automatically hit that counter button like most do, Batman does this weird air hug thing and your combo breaks. Doesn't happen all that often, but did happen a fair few times on my recent play throughs. I have never encountered this problem in (far too many hours of) city.

Best part of my latest new game + run: took out the room full of armed armored thugs in the GCPD. That was fun.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Little review of Arkham Blackgate Deluxe so far: (no spoilers and played for about 3-4 hours)

I'm a massive Batman fan and bought Arkham Blackgate Deluxe on steam. I had tried it on the 3DS but wasn't too fond of it, but the promise of a better map, graphics and controls (ability to use a 360 controller) drew me into trying the deluxe edition.

The game isn't completely terrible, but I have to admit I wouldn't be playing it if it wasn't Batman. The graphics are improved over the 3DS, but don't compete with modern PC graphics. I forgive this because it was a portable game being made available for PC.

The map is improved (it was pretty useless in the 3DS) but it's still hard to use and with the screen turning constantly as you go around corners you become pretty disorientated fast. I've spent a fair amount of time completely lost so far, which isn't fun. Honestly they should have made a map which rotates with you.

Combat is disappointing. It's close to being okay, but just falls short. It's probably the most disappointing thing in the game for me because it probably wouldn't have taken all that much more effort to make it fantastic. It has the beatdown (cape stun, then mash hit) which works good. Countering is much like the other Arkham games. They even have the ground pound move if the enemy is knocked to the floor. What made it disappointing is there seems to be no special moves (like pressing Y + B, A + B on the 360 controller when your combo gets high). The thing is, the combo count changes color as if it's ready to do a special move, but I couldn't get any special moves to work so I'm presuming they're not in the game.

In the other Arkham games once you get your combo high enough, you can point the move stick towards a nearby enemy and hit 'x' to automatically move close to the enemy and hit him. In this game, you will not move far at all, and instead Batman will just kick air (breaking your combo, which doesn't seem to matter except if you're trying to reach the high combo achievements from what I can tell).

The predator sections seem reasonably good. They work, and for what was a portable game I'd say they're decent enough.

The cutscenes look horrible. They looked bad on the 3DS, and being enlarged for a PC screen does them no favors. I don't know if it's just my taste, but the art looks amateur at best.

Unless you're a diehard Batman fan don't buy it for its current steam price. Even then, I'd encourage you to wait for a price drop if you can. If you really want to play it, wait for a steam sale. It would make an okay $5 purchase.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Payndz posted:

I picked up Origins recently, and after everything I'd heard I was dreading the Bane boss fights. Just got to the first one and it's every bit as boring, frustrating and pointlessly overlong as I was led to expect. I haven't managed to beat it yet, and to be honest it's putting me off going back to finish the rest of the game because it's so utterly un-fun.

If there's one innovation GTA5 has given the world, it's skipping lovely story missions by pretending that eh, let's just say you did it and move on. Hopefully Arkham Knight will take it on board.

If you don't die, the fight goes for probably 6-8 minutes. It's a fairly fast paced fight too, and I completely disagree on 'boring' (I'm hoping that was just frustration talking? but different tastes too I guess). I was tempted to just post 'Get better at the game.' because I think a lot of gamers can be very sissy about anything remotely challenging in games these days, but instead thought I'd offer my tips.

My guide to the Bane fight at the Royal Hotel:

Start of fight:
- Wait for him to punch and jump over the top of him as soon as he goes to swing the punch.
- After jumping over him, turn and immediately do a triple stun.
- Beatdown.

When he is jacked up on venom:
- Avoid his charges by jumping sideways at the very last second (or jump over enemies if you're in the outdoor phase of the fight, which gives you some invincible frames).
- After last charge (he will stand still for a few seconds rather than immediately charging again) wait for him to leap towards you, and jump away from him (he will blast the ground you are at)
- Immediately charge towards him and triple stun (enemies shouldn't be much a worry for this triple stun as they should be knocked down from bane's leap attack).
- Use beatdown on Bane.
- Use takedown attack (Y + B on xbox controller) to remove bane's venom effects.

- Now treat Bane as a normal enemy. kick him, jump away, kick him, jump away etc. until you can use a takedown. Keep doing this until Bane uses the venom again, and repeat the steps above to remove the venom.

Repeat until defeated.

It goes without saying you should be aware where the enemies are at all times and be ready to counter them while completing the steps above. This tactic has worked almost perfect for me on hard difficulty (Hard NG+). The only problem you should really have is mistiming the jumping away from Bane when he is charging towards you (try to avoid getting stuck in a corner, you can take multiple hits from Bane's charges).

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Massively couterproductive to open a post with insults and expect folks to respond well. If you write that you were tempted to post "Get better at the game", then you're still conveying the exact same :smug:, with the exact same effects. Then you implied Payndz is a sissy. Really bad way to frame your post, whatever your difference of opinion.

It may come across as smug, and I didn't mean it to, but I sit by my words. I do think he needs to get better if he wants to progress in the game. That guide I wrote up was the result of me dying in that fight probably 20-30 times (I absolutely HATED it the first time). I got better. Now when I play it (I just did a 100% run through the game) I may die 1-2 times, but I know exactly what I did wrong to cause that death (usually got myself trapped in a corner, and hit multiple times by Bane's charge as a result).

There’s a ton of glitches and bugs in Arkham Origins, but the Bane fight is one section I didn’t suffer any significant problems from them.

Discendo Vox posted:

It doesn't help that the rest of your post misses his point. It's not that Bane is hard- it's that the fights are poorly designed, frustrating and generally a chore to play through. And they are all of those things, speaking as someone who has 100%ed the story material in all modes.

Payndz posted:

I haven't managed to beat it yet, and to be honest it's putting me off going back to finish the rest of the game because it's so utterly un-fun.

I gave the guy some tips I believe will help him ‘manage to beat it’. How does that miss the point?

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Mogomra posted:

Origins is definitely harder than the other two games. The random bugs with the free flow system don't help. I feel like it's a genius gimmick to make Batman seem less experienced. It has to be. Right?

Before release they said something like they had changed the flow of combat to make Batman feel more raw and inexperienced (or something along those lines).

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they messed around with the code and accidentally broke parts of it, and that was the running line they went with to explain it when they couldn't work out how to fix it.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong on that actually. Only quote I could find said "According to the developers, Batman’s inexperience will only manifest within the narrative of the game.". Oh well.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

In hindsight I think Origins must have been rushed so they could release in 2013, leaving 2014 for Rocksteady's game. I think WB Montreal has talent, and given more time they probably would have had a much more polished game. I'm hoping they continue the series beyond Arkham Knight. They can only improve, right?

• Locked thread