Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
How the gently caress do you unlock the thing where you lure someone into a takedown with a Sonic Batarang? I've tried putting them under gargoyles and then doing a takedown, putting them by destructible walls and then blowing them up, and also putting them by glue grenade mines and then doing a "glue smash" (ugh) takedown. Is there something I'm missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't forget you need to do it three times. The challenge list is bad at telling you this, IIRC the only indication it needs to be done thrice is the "0/3" in the upper corner that's easy to miss.

This ended up being it. :suicide:

On a somewhat related note, this game is still pretty ridiculously buggy even with all of the patches that have gone out recently. In one of the rooms before the Firefly fight all of the enemies just decided to stop moving and completely ignore me, and after restarting from a checkpoint that was pretty far back from that the same exact thing happened when I got to the actual Firefly fight. I'm finished with the story now but I'm going to have to give this a few months until I go back and try to 100% it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Poizen Jam posted:

From a few pages back, but I laughed when I read this. Myself and my roommate had the same chat about arkham city while particularly inebriated a year or so ago. We mused many of the prisoners were probably down on their luck homeless guys and wrongfully imprisoned minorities who got swept up into gang wars in the dog eat dog world of arkham city.

Then origins came along and kind of drove that comparison home. I have moral reservations about batman now.

It's sometimes worse than that, too. I remember two guys talking about wanting to become accountants or something "to help guys like us clean up their act" and because he liked sorting things into columns (or something like that), but one of them ended up being a Riddler Enigma informant so I swooped down and beat the poo poo out of them. That'll learn 'em for wanting to rehabilitate and help others :colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Was there ever any explanation as to why the Mad Hatter (not really sure if this is a spoiler, but whatever) didn't have any bones (like Clayface) in Origins?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Still liking this game and not getting the bugs, grapple issues, countering problems, timing trouble or almost anything else people are complaining about. I think it's a fine game. Does anyone who thinks they nerfed the combat difficulty and timing and made it seem harder think that maybe that might have been intentional in order to convey that Batman is just starting out, still honing his chops and isn't just quite yet the bad rear end he's shown to be in City and Asylum? Whenever the combat feels harder in this one, I just hand wave it with that explanation in the back of my head ("Yeah, he's just getting started being Batman and still learning how to counter"). Sort of like the first couple of times Bruce ventures out in 'Batman Begins" and gets owned by everything.

No, I definitely think they hosed it up, and probably not on purpose. I'm pretty good at Arkham Asylum and City - I can easily get a flawless 75+ combo in a big enough fight, but I was having problems with the timing in Origins. It seems to me like the counter button sometimes just doesn't loving work (not to mention the targeting problems - sometimes I'll be in the middle of a combo and try to move over to a different enemy and Batman will just stop dead in his tracks or fly into a wall or some poo poo), and given the insane amount of bugs that were (and still are) in the game, I'm more inclined to believe that it's simply just a buggy as gently caress game instead of handwaving it away with some bullshit explanation about Batman being younger and less experienced.

I'd say that's probably one of my biggest gripes about Origins in general, actually: if anything, Batman seems more experienced than he did in the previous games because of the added gadgets and WayneTech upgrades like critical counters and poo poo. I realize that people probably would have complained if there weren't any new features and upgrades, but if the narrative is that Batman is less experienced, he should actually have less gadgets than Asylum and maybe an even less useful Detective Vision (and certainly not some sort of crazy holographic crime scene VCR). There are definitely ways to convey that this is a younger, rough-around-the-edges Batman, but loving up the fight system to the point where basic things like countering just don't work is not the way to do it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

One word that pops up again and again is reliably. Combat is about never losing your combo, and AC gives you better visual information to help you (for example, armored enemies are way more obvious in AC than AO), and if you could pull off a flashy move you were invincible until you finished. AO lacks these tiny details that made AC's combat perfect, and shows how far the gap between good and great is.

I agree, the visual information in Origins is pretty awful (particularly with the SWAT guys). I've also noticed that the camera seems to be kinda hosed up during combat too: in AA and AC it was always pretty easy to see that there was someone about to attack you, but in AO you could be in the middle of a beatdown or something and some guy off screen will warp over to where you are and hit you in the head with a pipe or something. I guess it's not really that combat in AO is bad per se, it's just incredibly frustrating sometimes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Great points all around. Come to think of it, that would have been a much better way to go about it (the idea that Batman is 'new' and learning). Like, have him start out in an all cloth costume and then show him piecing together armor and upgrading and perfecting his gadgets in the batcave after you finish some the early missions and learn from your rookie mistakes, then let the upgrades unlock gradually and logically from there and progress the story accordingly.

Again though, what are system are you playing this on? Because 75% of the "gently caress this game" folks in this thread seem like they're on PC.

Well, I don't think going to Batman running around in a leotard would be too much fun since a sniper would probably just shoot him or something, but yeah, something like that where he's really just starting out would have been much better I think. I was initially playing on Wii U (shut up) but a friend that bought a new GPU gave me his freebie code since he already bought the game for PC so I switched to that after I got about halfway through on the Wii U. The Wii U version was actually far less buggy (and the Pro Controller layout is actually exactly the same as the 360 pad so it was pretty easy to pick up), but the framerate was pretty terrible at times and there was aliasing everywhere.

e: That's not to say that I don't have the same complaints about the combat timing on the Wii U version though - at first I thought I was loving up because of the framerate dips in larger fights, but it turned out to be more or less the same as combat on the PC where there were absolutely no performance problems beyond the game just crashing every now and then or the sound cutting out randomly, etc.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 19, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kin posted:

Cheat codes? What do you think this is, 2002?

In addition to the code ImpAtom mentioned there was also a big head mode (like the N64 version of Goldeneye) cheat for Arkham City.

In other news, there was a patch for the Wii U version that makes the game even more unplayable. I can't get across the map without the game freezing and them crashing the entire console.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, the DLC will be an attack on Wayne Manor? That could be interesting.

There was a Wayne Manor DLC map for Arkham City that was centered around an attack on Wayne Manor (and the Batcave). It wasn't really as fun as it sounds because the Predator challenges were bullshit for Wayne Manor in particular :argh:

If they manage to turn it into something more fun though I will be pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Momomo posted:

So I just beat Deathstroke (a boss I thought was pretty good, even if I'm not quite sure how it worked) and then I came out and apparently have to defuse bombs. I only tried for about a minute before I got annoyed, but there didn't seem to be any indication as to where the bombs were? I feel like I'm missing something.

The game in general seems really uninteresting to be honest. I've done all this before, would it really have killed them to at least set Gotham in another time of the year? They already did snow in Arkham City and it just feels like a gigantic retread.

It feels like a gigantic retread because it is a gigantic retread. If you've played enough of Arkham City you'd recognize that they reused a substantial amount of texture assets, animations, and just overall what Batman does in the game. Hell, even some of the animations that are recycled from City are actually reused from Asylum (the "bomb defusing" thing in particular comes to mind, it's exactly the same as when Batman destroys Poison Ivy's weird plant things in Asylum). It'd be interesting to see Gotham in a different season or something, but they're pretty much stuck with having the game set during the night time unless there's a Bruce Wayne part or something (and that would probably be pretty cool).

• Locked thread