Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I agree, I'm wary about a non-Rocksteady Arkham game, but I enjoy the combat system/setting enough that I believe it'll probably overshadow most any problems, particularly since from the looks of things they're not deviating from the formula of,"Batman beats up bad dudes and every so often he beats up a tougher bad dude in a mask".

I mentioned it in the last thread, but I share the sentiments. That combo system is so good, I would love just another game to beat up enemies in.

Also I really, really hope that Rocksteady is working on a game that includes the DC Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Today (Wed) Origins is on the E3 show floor. This gamespot link says it will be streaming at 1:40 p.m. EST, right after Forza 5.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/stage-2-day-2/?tag=Topslot;Slot1

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

BreakAtmo posted:

I mean, there's no way the Arkham series is ending on a prequel not made by Rocksteady. The next-gen sequel is without a doubt being made by Rocksteady as we speak, and it will likely involve Scarecrow in a big way. For now I'm happy with Origins. Yes, it looks to play exactly like Arkham City, to the point that half the map is literally Arkham City before it was Arkham City. And I don't give the slightest gently caress, because Arkham City owned and so will Origins.
I'm with you on the feeling about Origins; more Arkham City, even skinned as a new game, is never bad.

And yea, Rocksteady is absolutely working something. Looks Warner Bros has given them the time to make an amazing game, which is why we get Origins to keep the franchise going.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Thanks to the Amazon sale the other day, I got both PC Arkham games for $10 (I've beaten the console versions multiple times)

A couple things I noticed while replaying the games:

- Arkham Asylum holds up really, really well. I know it just came out in 2009, but it's nice to know that it hasn't lost much.

- After beating Asylum and going straight to Arkham City, you get a great sense on how much Rocksteady improved the game between iterations. Everything is better: graphics, combat, Riddler challenges, unlockables, the world to play in, etc.

- I've spent countless hours playing these Arkham games, and the combat is still as fun as ever. I don't know what developer magic they used to make the combat so addicting, but it's remarkable.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Narcissus1916 posted:

What other games have a similar fighting system? I know of Captain America and the not-very-good Spider-Man had the same basics, but what else?

I can only replay Arkham City so many times... including the mediocre Harley Quinn's Revenge.

No other games that I can think of, besides the ones mentioned.

Side note: I used to own the Amazing Spider-Man game and I actually enjoyed it. It's got a lot of issues, but it does do a nice job of recreating his abilities. It was cool to swing around New York as Spider-Man and stop crimes, beat up dudes, and collect items/alternate costumes. Also the combat can be fun, albeit a poor man's version of the Rocksteady system.

I'm not saying buy it for $50 or anything, but if you ever came across it for super-cheap (like in a Steam sale) it's worth a play.

• Locked thread