Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So here's the deal: the regular iPhone thread is being inundated with iOS 7 chat and it's getting derailed constantly for people who want to talk about current iPhone products. In the past we've simply put a kibosh on all beta chat, but we're going to try something different this time.

This thread is for discussing the new features and changes coming in iOS 7. If you're not familiar with what's coming, I highly recommend you go to Apple's webpage dedicated to iOS 7. Look at the pictures, and especially view all the videos as you get a much better idea of the changes in iOS 7 when you see them in motion.

What's the story?

iOS 7 was announced at WWDC 2013 just a few days ago. It will be released to the general public in the Fall for the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S (?), the iPad Mini, iPad 2, and iPad with Retina Display.

What's new?

There are a ton of changes and additions coming in iOS 7, although the most noteworthy are Control Center, Notification Center, and the multitasking interface. You'll also see a new Camera app, iTunes Radio, AirDrop, new Photos organization, new Weather app, and a new Safari interface. Minor changes include a live Clock icon, per-app cellular data management, infinite folders, Newsstand in a folder, automatic app updates, day/night mode in Maps, and more robust Reminders. I really can't list everything though, so be sure to check out Apple's website.

What's the deal with the beta?

iOS 7 is currently in beta on the iPhone and iPad for registered, paying iOS developers. It's meant to test app compatibility, as well as provide access to bug reporters who actually know what the hell they're talking about (in theory). That said, enthusiasts often manage to get their UDIDs registered as a developer device through one channel or another and install it on their everyday iPhones. This generally isn't recommended as features and app compatibility are often broken, and listening to people bitch over and over again about a beta operating system gets tedious. Accipiter sums it up:

Accipiter posted:

This is beta software. It sucks rear end. It's SUPPOSED to suck rear end. It's buggy as poo poo. It isn't for public consumption and it isn't meant to install so you can brag to your douchebag friends that you're running it. It's for developers.

I mean poo poo, I can't even get my home button to work 40% of the time on this beta. That's why I'm not using it on my actual phone, but on a development device.

You're not cool if you're running the beta for the sake of running the beta.
Resources: :siren: Rules: :siren:
  • If you are a developer, you are breaking NDA by discussing or sharing any iOS 7 information that hasn't been publicly released by Apple. SA will not enforce Apple's NDA, but you are risking your own developer account by breaking NDA.
  • Please do not come here complaining about what poo poo is broken; file a bug report. If you don't know how to file a bug report, DFU restore back to iOS 6.1.4.
  • If you are a developer, you are risking your own developer account if you offer to share UDID registration. In an effort to not derail the thread, please do not do so here.
  • If you are not a developer, please do not ask for UDID registration on SA.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I hope I'm not the only one to complain about this:

Call Features Hard to See in Certain Lighting Conditions
------------------------
Summary: When muting a call in the phone interface it is extremely hard to see if that functionality is enabled/disabled when outdoors or low brightness settings on the iPhone.

Steps to Reproduce:
Initialize a call. Mute call.. or press Speaker phone.

Expected Results:
Distinct and easy to see (in common situations) notification if the phone is muted and/or on speaker phone. Previously there was a large blue tile placed behind the Mute/Speaker buttons that made it extremely easy to know that feature was invoked.

Actual Results:
Dark grey highlight around the word "mute" which is set upon a black background.

Regression:
iOS/iPhone/ANY Compatible model

Notes:
I'm not asking to get the blue highlight back, I understand the UI is different. I'm asking for it to be very obvious when the phone is being muted so my coworkers can't hear me calling them idiots because I thought my phone was on mute after a brief glance.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I'm already past half a dozen reports, from gripes to bugs. I bet the QA guys are contemplating suicide, rather than returning to Cupertino.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ultramiraculous posted:

I'm already past half a dozen reports, from gripes to bugs. I bet the QA guys are contemplating suicide, rather than returning to Cupertino.

Yeah I submitted some other things but I can't do anything other than UI stuff now that I reverted my device back and can't give them logs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can this be a screenshot-heavy thread? I'm not installing the beta because I only have my main iPhone and no other iOS devices, and I'm not about dealing with bugs for the next few months, but I'd really like to see all the neat new features of iOS7 and how you guys have them set up. I've already seen several of them but I'm not tired of seeing 'em :)

Also, I saw earlier that in-camera filters are only available on iPhone 5 and current-gen iPod Touch. That's kinda lame. But my contract is up in September so I'm going to upgrade to a 5S anyway (whenever it comes out) and I guess that won't be an issue for me for very long, if at all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can this be a screenshot-heavy thread? I'm not installing the beta because I only have my main iPhone and no other iOS devices, and I'm not about dealing with bugs for the next few months, but I'd really like to see all the neat new features of iOS7 and how you guys have them set up. I've already seen several of them but I'm not tired of seeing 'em :)
MacRumors did a nice post on lots of little things that they noticed:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/11/ios-7-beta-tidbits-per-app-cellular-data-usage-live-clock-icon-panoramic-wallpaper-and-more/

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
https://vine.co/v/bl5TqTxjOun

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

Wait, is the wallpaper itself animated? Or is it stationary but moves when you move the phone?

Either way, that's really cool!

I saw that Gizmodo posted a GIF showing that you can swipe to unlock from anywhere on the lock screen, not just the bar at the bottom. That's amazing haha

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

:stare:

Wait, is the wallpaper itself animated? Or is it stationary but moves when you move the phone?

Either way, that's really cool!

I saw that Gizmodo posted a GIF showing that you can swipe to unlock from anywhere on the lock screen, not just the bar at the bottom. That's amazing haha

The wallpaper moves when you move your phone. You can tilt your phone slightly and your wallpaper on your homescreen and lockscreen will subtlety move. It's pretty cool.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

The wallpaper moves when you move your phone. You can tilt your phone slightly and your wallpaper on your homescreen and lockscreen will subtlety move. It's pretty cool.

It's way more unsubtle with panorama wallpapers. It's actually basically unusably nauseating for the home screen, but it's fine for the lock screen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

That's awesome! Is it a stock wallpaper? And do all wallpapers do that or only certain ones?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Next Web has some behind-the-scenes details about iOS 7's design.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/06/12/why-does-the-design-of-ios-7-look-so-different/

To summarize:

In order to get some new blood into the mix, the marketing and communications team was put in charge of designing the icons and everything is still very much work-in-progress. Some of the on-stage demos were already using newer builds than what was released to developers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That's awesome! Is it a stock wallpaper? And do all wallpapers do that or only certain ones?
For any panorama photos that you've taken, when set as a wallpaper they will do that that panning thing.

Standard size images just do the slight tilting parallax effect.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Some of the on-stage demos were already using newer builds than what was released to developers.
This is unquestionable as the developer build of Mavericks is missing stuff like iBooks, while the developer build of iOS 7 is missing things like the new Siri voice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For any panorama photos that you've taken, when set as a wallpaper they will do that that panning thing.

Neat! I've actually never taken more than one or two panoramas with my iPhone but I guess I'll have to start :D

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the same thing was happening last year. In sessions you'd see subtle differences in the version of Mountain Lion the presenters were using. I'd have to guess that they get a working seed before WWDC and then just keep going. It's not like we're getting nightlies or anything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the Calendar app have the "time to leave" feature where it takes into account of travel time? Does it automatically search and fill in addressss like in the OS X demo?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Does the 5 have better gyro whatevers inside? THis isn't working at all on my 4s :(

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Sockser posted:

Does the 5 have better gyro whatevers inside? THis isn't working at all on my 4s :(

Not sure how you're doing it, but I found that the effect only works if you set the wallpaper via Settings -> Brightness & Wallpapers, not via the Photos app and assigning it there.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Diabolik900 posted:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/06/12/why-does-the-design-of-ios-7-look-so-different/

To summarize:

In order to get some new blood into the mix, the marketing and communications team was put in charge of designing the icons and everything is still very much work-in-progress. Some of the on-stage demos were already using newer builds than what was released to developers.

Hmm, that's interesting. Sets me a little at ease knowing that there will probably be a few graphical passes as well.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

aaronp posted:

Not sure how you're doing it, but I found that the effect only works if you set the wallpaper via Settings -> Brightness & Wallpapers, not via the Photos app and assigning it there.

No matter what, I just get a little bit of tilt action on it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah the depth in demo videos looked HUGE, but I don't see more than 2mm of shift or so.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

The photo also has to be in the "Panoramics" section of photos. If it's in Camera Roll, it won't work.

I took one pic and it wasn't working, so I went back and took a wider one - it then showed up in the Panoramics section, and the crazy spinning background works.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Has the beta for iPad not been released yet? I'm really curious to see how this looks on an iPad.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Disappointing Pie posted:

Has the beta for iPad not been released yet? I'm really curious to see how this looks on an iPad.

It has not yet, and I am very interested as well.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
Maybe it's just the 4S, but I'm really disliking the longer animations between apps and pages. Feels really sluggish and goofy.

Does anyone know how to turn off the parallax effect?

James Polk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 12, 2013

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004
I just heard 64 by MellowHype on iTunes radio and it definitely wasn't the censored version.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
It's a minor thing, but I'm not a fan of the new "Shift" highlight on the keyboard.

There are two colour schemes for the new keyboard that I've seen:

The one on the left I can deal with - when you tap the Shift key, the colour changes drastically and it's in high contrast to the rest of the keyboard so it's clear that Shift is active.

The one on the right, however, is different - the change in colour is very subtle by comparison and it just doesn't feel anywhere near as intuitive.

I guess the problem would be solved by going the WP8 route and having the keycaps change case, but Apple seem reticent to do that for some reason.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GazChap posted:

It's a minor thing, but I'm not a fan of the new "Shift" highlight on the keyboard.

The one on the left I can deal with - when you tap the Shift key, the colour changes drastically and it's in high contrast to the rest of the keyboard so it's clear that Shift is active.

The one on the right, however, is different - the change in colour is very subtle by comparison and it just doesn't feel anywhere near as intuitive.

I guess the problem would be solved by going the WP8 route and having the keycaps change case, but Apple seem reticent to do that for some reason.

Really? The one on the right looks even more obviously in shift mode to me. Weird.

Also please please apple never ever change case on the key labels. That's super jarring and irritating to me. I tried it with a JB app and it was terrible.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

GazChap posted:

Yes. This is a lot like the defect/enhancement I opened for the Mute button. Incredibly hard to tell what's going on. I actually considered opening a bug on this too.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

My guess on the iPad being held up probably has something to do with not only scaling up the UI, but also how dependent the UI seems to be on the gyro, especially on the homescreen. iPads don't move about as much as a phone, so the whole, magically moving wallpaper thing is likely wasted on the big iPad screen. They're probably working on translating that motion from the phone in a manner than won't immediately give you motion sickness on that bigger screen.

As an aside, it should be quite obvious by now that those rumors of iOS barely making the cut-off to be shown in working condition at WWDC were 100% true, and there is likely to be a metric fuckton of changes between the first beta, and the GM. A good example is the missing Voice Memos app, that is magically present at all the presentations at WWDC. They didn't kill the app. It just wasn't ready to go with the first beta.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Diabolik900 posted:

To summarize:

Promising, definitely gives hope to some tweaks graphically can be coming.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GazChap posted:

Given the blue accents throughout the UI they really should just highlight the shift key in blue somehow when it's engaged like they do now in iOS 6.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I miss spotlight search :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Has anyone noticed that if you plug in a non-approved Apple device into the iPhone it comes up with a message saying the device isn't approved and may not work correctly?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's still there?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Pull down from the middle of the screen.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Pull down from the middle of the screen.

Oh my God. I love it there!

Also this is the coolest thing no one knows about :

http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-7-panoramic-wallpaper-2013-6

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

I really, really hope that the Safari icon is only a placeholder, and that it's a sick joke Apple is playing on fanboys.

Also, what's the deal with FaceTime audio? I haven't seen much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

Also, what's the deal with FaceTime audio? I haven't seen much about it.
It's FaceTime but only audio; pretty self-explanatory, I think. Use your data instead of minutes.

• Locked thread