Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Another example of how it's apparently easy to make an emotionally charged Superman movie trailer, but apparently VERY difficult to make an emotionally charged Superman movie.

It'd be pretty pointless to try to review this movie without comparing it to previous Superman movies or even to other superhero movies that have come out recently.

In short, the movie felt flat. In Superman movies past (or in other "first" superhero movies, such as Batman Begins) there was always a few moments that gave me chills, made me sit up and really pay attention, or simply think to myself "gently caress - this is awesome." Man of Steel had none of that.

The film was competently made, I can't fault the film for its look. The movie looked fantastic. Every second was an interesting image. The story just didn't resonate with me, and by the end I was bored.

Someday, I hope that someone realizes that two invulnerable beings slugging it out is incredibly boring. Amping it up with colorful lights and explosions doesn't make it any better. Forgive me for the tangent, but this is why Star Trek 2 (from the 80's, not the recent one) is awesome and why Nemesis was terrible. In Trek 2, every shot mattered. Every hit carried a very real human cost to it. And there weren't that many hits - but the ones that were there REALLY hurt. In Nemesis, it was just shot after shot between the ships, and in the end it was basically meaningless. Everything that led up to the final moments could have been left out and it wouldn't have mattered.

In the case of Man of Steel, it was similar. Yes, the two bad guys were slugging it out, toppling sky scrapers, creating ton upon ton of debris, but there was no loss of life. No emotional cost to the viewer. Since it never shows any people being hurt by this, we're free to assume that there was nobody hurt. I'm sure this was done to maintain the PG-13 rating, but might the people who rate these movies stopped and considered that with all the destruction in these movies, it's important to remember that THOUSANDS of people would have died in this? It might actually be a good thing to show people - that mass destruction such as this carries with it a price.

In any case, none of it mattered until the end where Supes had to deal with a few people actually, potentially, dying. As opposed to the tens of thousands that likely already have.

I didn't really so much mind the re-imaging of Krypton, or Kal-El's upbringing. It DID bother me that Clark was so stupid. I know they were trying to make a point with the scene, but any Clark from any previous movie would have told Jonathan to seek shelter, then would have done his hero thing, then after it was over, placed himself under some debris and "miraculously survived unscathed."

The orchestral score was a bit disappointing to me as well. I wasn't expecting (and was glad not to hear) John Williams' iconic score, but I was hoping to hear something on that level from Hans Zimmer. The major theme isn't bad, but it's nowhere near the level of Williams' theme. It's not one that you'll be humming for decades to come. It was basically just sonic wallpaper.

I dunno. It's not that this was a bad movie. It's just that it wasn't a good one either. And with respect to the poster above me, this movie was NO Batman Begins.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU