Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I was wrong, and it just goes to show that Wildbow can always say "Yes, it can get worse."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I consider this to be the best result that could have reasonably been expected based on what we know of Scion. They identified a potential weakness in his seeming need to respond to illusions and decoys, powers akin to Clockblockers and Gray Boy's seem to make him react at least. Clockblocker's seemed a bit more effective, in fact. They learned an attack combo that did something at least too, and can strategize around stuff like this in the future.

Also, Scion left and I consider that a good thing. Yeah, he wasn't seriously hurt, but he had a reason for going, whatever that may be. Maybe he wanted to continue on his schedule, but he diverted from that when hit with the G-driver. He thought it interesting enough to come check this poo poo out, then the combination attack that replicated it drove him off for whatever reason.

Basically, learning something here and the heaviest hitters surviving was best case scenario, and injuries can be healed.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

If this doesn't give Taylor some sort of 2nd trigger power-up I don't think anything will.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I'm thinking the second trigger is never going to happen. It's up to Bonesaw and Panacea now.

We can fix her, we have the technology.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

veekie posted:

I'm thinking the second trigger is never going to happen. It's up to Bonesaw and Panacea now.

We can fix her, we have the technology.

I have a suspicion that Taylor already had her second trigger event right after the first. Earlier I know one character speculated that secondary trigger events occur in a decent number of capes during the first one, but it goes unnoticed due to the timing.

Also, Bonesaw and Panacea working together will at least somewhat repair Taylor's shard I bet. They're both there, Bonesaw has researched passengers, Panacea can effect things on a level Bonesaw never could.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Maybe, my thought is that we just don't have enough story time left to do a second triggered power justice though.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
Wildbow mentioned way earlier in one of the chapter comments that there was not going to be any more second triggers in the story (relevant ones at least). It is too much of a plot device.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

So next update is an interlude ... who have we not gotten yet? Perhaps a Glaistig one?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Cytokinesis posted:

If someone posts a good spoiler policy I would be glad to update the OP.

A title change would be nice too, because we really aren't discussing anything but Worm here.

How about only putting spoiler tags from the current and previous arc with a warning that possible spoiling may occur before the post.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

why oh WHY posted:

How about only putting spoiler tags from the current and previous arc with a warning that possible spoiling may occur before the post.

The current and previous chapter seems a bit more reasonable, but I've added the spoiler policy now. Thanks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fellwenner posted:

So next update is an interlude ... who have we not gotten yet? Perhaps a Glaistig one?

I'm fairly sure I heard mention somewhere that there aren't going to be any more interludes until the epilogue, but that any donation-extras will instead simply be extra chapters - which is borne out by Thursday.

I'm also pretty tickled that Wildbow commented that readership is up a lot just recently, which I'm fairly sure coincides with this thread existing. I dunno if there's a causal effect, but it's kinda cool if there is.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SerSpook posted:

I have a suspicion that Taylor already had her second trigger event right after the first. Earlier I know one character speculated that secondary trigger events occur in a decent number of capes during the first one, but it goes unnoticed due to the timing.

Also, Bonesaw and Panacea working together will at least somewhat repair Taylor's shard I bet. They're both there, Bonesaw has researched passengers, Panacea can effect things on a level Bonesaw never could.
It's almost certain that Taylor already had her second trigger event, Chevalier's interlude pretty much confirmed that. I'm sort of wondering what her power would even be if it was fixed, would she just control everything with a brain around her?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just caught up with Worm this morning, pretty amazing ride. I have a couple broad criticisms, but they really pale in comparisons to the overall quality and staggering rapidity the author manages to maintain.

27.5 Spoilers: Curious how much Taylor will be allowed to recover. We've seen people come back from some pretty gnarly injuries, but being bisected is fairly far out there.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

Just caught up with Worm this morning, pretty amazing ride. I have a couple broad criticisms, but they really pale in comparisons to the overall quality and staggering rapidity the author manages to maintain.

27.5 Spoilers: Curious how much Taylor will be allowed to recover. We've seen people come back from some pretty gnarly injuries, but being bisected is fairly far out there.

Bonesaw and Panacea, plus a lot of dead capes for spare parts

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

veekie posted:

Bonesaw and Panacea, plus a lot of dead capes for spare parts

Oh I'm sure it's possible, but still it's not like either of those two has a history of doing a very good job when it comes to rebuilding large portions of a person's body.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh I'm sure it's possible, but still it's not like either of those two has a history of doing a very good job when it comes to rebuilding large portions of a person's body.

I disagree, Bonesaw has had quite a bit of experience doing so, it's just melding two whole people together is when she had a bit of trouble.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

berenzen posted:

I disagree, Bonesaw has had quite a bit of experience doing so, it's just melding two whole people together is when she had a bit of trouble.

When I say "very good job," I mean a job that doesn't end up with you looking like a frankenstein monster. Bonesaw's métier is making stuff functional, not aesthetic. I'm sure Taylor will survive between the two of them working on it, but I wonder if she'll be able to get the full reset she's enjoyed with earlier healing.

I am also very much hoping that the next chapter begins with her waking up with Bonesaw looking down on her, just for the reaction it'd get.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

berenzen posted:

She has all the necessary knowledge, just not the interest to avoid things looking like a mutilated mess. Remember, she's also done the full upgrade set on the S9 and even more on herself, they still look quite good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, Bonesaw can do basically anything she needs to (remember, she pulled Grue entirely apart and strung his innards out through a freezer. She could pull of basically anything given time.

However given the current situation, time is a luxury they CANNOT afford. I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor's head/upper body stapled to someone else's (lower)body at this point.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm fairly sure I heard mention somewhere that there aren't going to be any more interludes until the epilogue, but that any donation-extras will instead simply be extra chapters - which is borne out by Thursday.

I'm also pretty tickled that Wildbow commented that readership is up a lot just recently, which I'm fairly sure coincides with this thread existing. I dunno if there's a causal effect, but it's kinda cool if there is.

Based off of this:

wildbow posted:

I was distracted (and will be until end of Monday) but I tried to channel it into the nature of the writing. Hopefully it worked.

Your votes on Topwebfiction would be appreciated.

Expect interlude Tues. Maybe one Thursday.

Depending on what I do, I might not make the Thursday installment count as a donation chapter. Because.

Thanks for reading, guys.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, Bonesaw can do basically anything she needs to (remember, she pulled Grue entirely apart and strung his innards out through a freezer. She could pull of basically anything given time.

However given the current situation, time is a luxury they CANNOT afford. I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor's head/upper body stapled to someone else's (lower)body at this point.

27.5; Yeah, and I guess Bonesaw herself has been rendered in twain before. Although she already had enhancements to minimize damage when it happened. Taylor's more or less normal physical makeup means her aorta is severed and she's probably about a minute or two away from permanent brain damage.

also,

wildbow posted: posted:

I was distracted (and will be until end of Monday) but I tried to channel it into the nature of the writing. Hopefully it worked.

Your votes on Topwebfiction would be appreciated.

Expect interlude Tues. Maybe one Thursday.

Depending on what I do, I might not make the Thursday installment count as a donation chapter. Because.

Thanks for reading, guys.

Fffffffff. Reading the archive has gotten me used to instant gratification on cliffhangers, I wanna know what happens next gad damnit!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Skippy McPants posted:

27.5; Yeah, and I guess Bonesaw herself has been rendered in twain before. Although she already had enhancements to minimize damage when it happened. Taylor's more or less normal physical makeup means her aorta is severed and she's probably about a minute or two away from permanent brain damage.

also,

Fffffffff. Reading the archive has gotten me used to instant gratification on cliffhangers, I wanna know what happens next gad damnit!

It could be one of those things that progresses the story, simply from a different set of eyes. Here's hoping.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A Glaistig Uaine or Eidolon interlude could be pretty good. Maybe another Panacea one too.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

A Simurgh interlude, it ends with her showing up at the same place that Scion is attacking.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

I'm thinking of asking for a name change, as this is basically just a Worm thread, and the title probably isn't drawing too many people in. Does anyone know who I should message to get the title changed?

Also, any suggestions along those lines? Right now I'm thinking something like

Worm: Everything gets worse.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Cytokinesis posted:

I'm thinking of asking for a name change, as this is basically just a Worm thread, and the title probably isn't drawing too many people in. Does anyone know who I should message to get the title changed?

Also, any suggestions along those lines? Right now I'm thinking something like

Worm: Everything gets worse.

Worm: When life gives you powers, sucker punch a god.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Every time you think things can't get any worse, some idiot decides to play hardball with Taylor.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Worm: I should have called it Parahumans

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Worm: Even on Earth Bet, the Star Wars prequels sucked

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Worm: I was going to be a superhero

or

Worm: I can take her

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SerSpook posted:

Worm: I can take her

Oooh, I like this one.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Worm: Grue is likely to be eaten by a Scion

Worm: The only universal constant is lovely Star Wars prequels

Worm: Getting darker than Warhammer 40k

Worm: Your favorite character is about to die

Worm: This all started with a teenager getting pushed into a locker

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 27, 2013

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Worm: don't get attached to anyone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This thing seriously needs an epub download. Catching up on two years of updates in a web browser is a non-starter. :-/

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Well holy poo poo. That was a hell of an interlude.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

SerSpook posted:

Well holy poo poo. That was a hell of an interlude.

Seriously, jesus christ.

That answered a few question while at the same time making a dozen more.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

27.x I wonder how long we'll have to wait before we get to hear what Scion said.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I couldn't agree more with the spirit of a commenter at the blog. The four words are "I hate these cliffhangers".

Edit for a question: has Wildbow repeated the subject of an interlude? The only time I can think of was the entire chapter on the Travelers, which got its own number rather than the usual ##.x heading of an interlude.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 27, 2013

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grundulum posted:

I couldn't agree more with the spirit of a commenter at the blog. The four words are "I hate these cliffhangers".

Edit for a question: has Wildbow repeated the subject of an interlude? The only time I can think of was the entire chapter on the Travelers, which got its own number rather than the usual ##.x heading of an interlude.

Never with the same perspective character, so far as I can recall. There are a few that overlap the same characters, but they always default to omniscient third person.

Edit: Oop! No I tell a lie, Emily Piggot gets 13.x all to her self and she also gets the last segment of 16.x. There's probably a few other small examples, like when Danny is watching the TV in 20.x.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Worm: We'll sell you the whole seat, but you'll only need the edge!

This chapter was a hell of a thing. :stare:

• Locked thread