Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Data Graham posted:

What's everybody's opinion of CoffeeScript? A crutch for the weak, or the only way to do rich apps with closures and optional parameters without going totally nuts?

It's a palliative for Ruby programmers so they don't have to feel like they're coding JavaScript when they're coding JavaScript. For any programmer worth their salt It's a needless abstraction and distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Pollyanna posted:

Why not keep the questions as text in memory, shuffle those, and then write the shuffled array of question strings to a ul? Keeping your display logic as separate as possible from your business logic makes things a lot easier.

This is the Right Way™ to do it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

my bony fealty posted:

There's always poo poo on Craigslist in my area but it is generally "i need a website with e-commerce, tell me how much this costs and i will pay you to make it, thanks. and I will pay you $50"

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Just logged in no problem.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Jekyll doesn't *have* to be used for a blog. You can just use simple pages that aren't blog-like.

You can also embed plain old HTML files using

code:
{% include footer.html %}
This was taken directly from the Jekyll site:

http://jekyllrb.com/docs/templates/

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Data Graham posted:

The only way I've had any luck in fighting against Mongo-happy vision-type people is to explain that despite the name, Mongo isn't a database at all. It's a cache. It might as well be Redis.

You want fast key-value lookups? Great. But it isn't meant to do anything more than that.

(That article makes this point very vividly; I wish it were required reading for product managers)

Bingo.

And without trying to start a religious war :ironicat: I will say that I much prefer Redis.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Data Graham posted:

(Well, that and cats + cucumbers)

:crossarms:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Thank you, I completely forgot about that!

Back when I first saw it, I tried it on my two cats. They didn't react that way at all. It was more like :rolleyes:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Fluue posted:

Does this async write / sync read design seem to go against the idea of how REST should work?

Yes, because these calls are supposed to be (a) stateless; and (b) atomic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Seconding Sketch. I too sometimes have to create "programmer art" and just did a bunch of OS X app toolbar icons in it. Far easier and far more enjoyable than in Adobe products (for which I do have a CC subscription).

They have a bunch of instructional videos on their site which I found very useful and which actually helped convince me to buy it.