Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is IE tester reliable? A page of a site I'm testing is crashing it using IE9 even though it works in 6,7,8 and 10 as well as chrome and firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why is that happening?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is there a way to quickly disable it in their developer tools?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

PHP is still very popular but a lot of people are of the opinion that it is not very good.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Use PDO not mysqli.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I am having real issues with pages in CSS. PHP (laravel) is rendering a multipage invoice in HTML. I have no problem generating a table containing all the rows of the invoice. However, when the pages are printed, the company want the "header" (which is the <thead> tag) of the invoice to appear on each page with a page number too!
I have absolutely no idea if this is even possible. I have spent many hours trying to create elements with the correct (cm) size for A4 paper, but different print drivers / web browsers cause endless problems with this method.

It may be worth noting, that the rest of the site is built using Angular which could be used for some pagination logic.

PLEASE stop me having to generate these using PDFLIB and PHP.

Many thanks!

I've done this using JavaScript before but the second time I used Fpdf which has that sort of functionality built in.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think he's talking about media queries and not his general css.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Skiant posted:

Why would he want to use percentages in media queries?

He wouldn't and no where did I say he would.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Javascript also has nothing to do with Java.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You can target printers in your css with @media print.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Here's a responsive table as it appears on IOS7 in both chrome and safari:

But when you scroll it to the right:

The content which isn't initially visible doesn't have a background-color applied to it. It probably goes without saying but this doesn't happen on a desktop browser.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Griffith86 posted:

In my experience in working with the iOS/Android browsers, if it isn't viewable in the viewport when it's rendered, a background won't be rendered for it.

Is there a workaround for it?

a_big_dog posted:

As an aside, whatever it is you're making, I need it.

Hopefully I'll have it up soon.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bognar posted:

I think you can do some stupid poo poo with position: absolute and negative z-index. Like so:

Adding the same background-color to its parent container fixed it. :shrug:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

A .com.au domain must have a strong relationship to a registered business that you own, so it isn't possible to squat domains.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Here are the rules:

quote:

SCHEDULE C

ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR COM.AU

The com.au 2LD is for commercial purposes.

The following rules are to be read in conjunction with the Eligibility and Allocation Rules for All Open 2LDs, contained in Schedule A of this document.

1. To be eligible for a domain name in the com.au 2LD, registrants must be:

a) an Australian registered company; or

b) trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory; or

c) an Australian partnership or sole trader;

d) a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or

e) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark ; or

g) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or

h) an Australian commercial statutory body.

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must:

a) exactly match, acronym or abbreviation of the registrant’s company or trading name, organization or association name or trademark; or:

b) be otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

a_big_dog posted:

As an aside, whatever it is you're making, I need it.

This is what I have been working on.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do the same thing but with a server side include. Since I use PHP I have an include for header.php and footer.php on each page.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Unless I'm missing something you should be able to use CSS to solely print the map using @media print.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What do you guys think of this scanline effect? I want to use it on my hero graphics but wanted to check with some people who know more about design to see if they think it looks like poo poo.

Link to image.

EDIT: timg makes it look like poo poo so click to view the full sized image.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 10, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah, I'll flesh the site out a little more then post a follow up.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I dunno if there's a name for it but they're just using min-height: 100% and background-size: cover to achieve it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm running into a webkit font rendering bug that's really pissing me off.

Here it is: http://jsfiddle.net/XT4j9/

I'm assuming you'll see jagged text and it seems to be caused by having -webkit-backface-visibility: hidden; on the .front class but why the hell would that be affecting text outside of that container? Anyone have any ideas?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think I'll have to give up and use -webkit-text-stroke which can make it look pretty smooth but I feel like it's sort of a hack.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Make a jsfiddle.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

kedo posted:

Because your function name is different than what you're calling.

HTML code:
<td><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" onclick="returnvalidationForm();"/></td>

function validateForm()

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I've been working on a simple paint program where all you can do is draw on a small canvas and clear it. It works fine in chrome but on IOS it gets slower and slower the longer I paint even after clearing. I'll post a jsfiddle when I have time but I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas off the top of their head. And yes, I do use beginPath which seems to be a common reason for performance issues.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does anyone know how to force the scroll bars on IOS to stay visible? I have a horizontally scrollable element and the scroll bar only really appears once you start scrolling and it isn't immediately obvious you're able to do that on the element.

EDIT: Turns out they only work when -webkit-overflow-scrolling is set to auto. :thumbsup:

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 18, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I have a div with overflow-x set to auto. Inside that div I have another element that sits on the right hand side and I would like it to scroll with its parent. Currently this is what happens:

It stays in the position it was originally ruining the fade effect I'm going for. Anyone know how to achieve what I want?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm having javascript performance issues on mobile with a site I'm working on. It's most easily identifiable in my main menu which I simply animate the height on to show and hide. It works smoothly on the main page where other then jquery and modernizr there is no other javascript but on other pages where another script is included the menu just appears because it's struggling to animate it.

All scripts are included at the bottom of the body and I just want to know if it's some way that I'm structuring my scripts or what.

Here's the script that includes the menu stuff: http://pastebin.com/MAA2HPqP

And here's a script from another page that's slow: http://pastebin.com/QQtiU3am

And another that seems fine: http://pastebin.com/0XA68Etj

I'm not actually doing anything on the pages other then testing the menu either so I don't really see why the performance of the other scripts would be affecting that.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thank you. I'll switch over to that and report back.

Edit: It makes no difference unfortunately. Fine on some pages and crap on others.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 1, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Just did a quick and dirty test and it appears that Maluco is right and the poor performance is dictated by the size/complexity of the DOM. At one point I did try doing what I was doing using CSS3 transitions with code similar to this:

code:
.content {
	max-height: 0;
	overflow: hidden;

-webkit-transition: max-height 0.8s;
	-moz-transition: max-height 0.8s;
	transition: max-height 0.8s;
}

.content.expand {

max-height: 200px;
}
By adding and removing classes from the menu container to trigger the transitions. In theory should that grant me the performance I'm looking for?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I basically want a menu like what bootstrap uses: http://getbootstrap.com/

You tap something to reveal the menu which slides down and tap again to slide up.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah, I considered something like that. For now I'm just dropping any animation and just having it appear which is less jarring. It's a really minor project so it's not worth the effort but I will keep all the good advice in mind for future projects. Cheers.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Next week I have an interview for a job which as far as I know only involves working with HTML and CSS (mainly CSS?). I only really know that it involves creating and or manipulating templates that are used for formatting Word/InDesign documents. The templates aren't graphic heavy so I'm dealing with more of the structural side of CSS than the presentation side so what are some areas I should brush up on?

Like the different display types for example.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Have you tested it in other browsers?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does anyone here have any experience with using princeXML to convert HTML to PDFs?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

-JS- posted:

Yes! Used it quite a bit - what do you want to know?

Nothing right now really but I'm going to be starting to use it next week so I'll shoot you a PM once I have concrete questions.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Get rid of height on pgcontainer. Is that what you're looking for?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm trying to do some CSS3 animations where I'm flipping elements over. They should either be visible or flipped and hidden. I've got it working fine with some elements but with others as soon as they finish flipping over they reappear.

Here's a jsfiddle that demonstrates both the working and non-working elements: http://jsfiddle.net/u6gkqyh8/6/

The only thing I can think of is that the first example is in a header. :shrug: