Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Depressing Box posted:

Laravel has a login system, they just list it under "Security" in the docs.

*swings dead cat around head 3 times*

It definately has a login system, but gently caress me if it aint poorly documented in laravel 4. I STILL dont know how to register a custom hash provider in the loving thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

KARMA! posted:

Laravel's documentation is really... curt. I don't know about 4, but 3's source code was readable enough.

In general the source is pretty good, for php, but 4 uses a few design patterns that are not immediately self evident and the hash provider stuff doesn't seem to provide any easy clues how to use a custom provider. I ended up writing my own provider (Its for an old database that sadly uses unsalted MD5s. Unfortunately with salts its never quite straightforward to update the schema because it isn't simply a case of "decoding" the hash and replacing it with a new hash coding, because hash's dont actually work like that, especially since the million+ records in the DB dont lend themselves well to rainbow tables or brute force reversing in any sane amount of computational time.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Winter is Cuming posted:

I'm very close to writing a book on Laravel myself. I am not pleased with Code Bright.

I'll hold off on my opinion of code bright till he finishes it. Its clearly unfinished (and says as much)

But yeah, write a book dude. Laravel owns, but its documentation leaves a lot to be desired. Theres a lot of 'assumed knowledge' problems where it seems to assume you already know things you couldn't possibly know if you don't hang out on the forums and/or irc.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Heres what not to do when interviewing potential applicants for a web job:

One company I applied to recently asked me to do a "test" involving some basic html layout + cms useage. They said it was a take home test due in a fortnight, and they'd email it to me the monday after.

Anyway the mail arived, and it came with a 40 page word doc filled with content , a 10 page spec, some photoshop psd files and instruction to create a full site based on the specs using one of the higher end open source cms's (Cant remember which one it was, uh whatever the ellis lab one is)

I googled the company listed in the spec doc, it was a client of the company I was applying to. Their site was a 1990s era table laid out poo poo-site. Clearly they where in the process of getting said company I was applying for to do their site. On further googling I discovered this lovely company used job applicants to do their contracts and never actually hired or paid developers for their work. It was illegal and exploitative, and having ran my own business for 5 years prior to this I loving knew it and so did they.

So I sent said company I was applying for a $30K quote, and I sent their client a $10K quote.

Said company I was applying for never got back to me. Well not until their client had dropped them and contacted me directly telling me they wanted me to do it instead. Then the company I was 'applying' for called me up and flipped the gently caress out. I got my lawyer mate to call them back threatening to blow the lid on them for violating labor hiring laws, which carries fines in australia of potentially millions. Snd they shut the gently caress up and let me keep the contract. Checkmate cunts.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 10, 2013