Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

duck monster posted:

*swings dead cat around head 3 times*

It definately has a login system, but gently caress me if it aint poorly documented in laravel 4. I STILL dont know how to register a custom hash provider in the loving thing :(

Laravel's documentation is really... curt. I don't know about 4, but 3's source code was readable enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
A CMS is for the builder, not the buyer. Meaning, all the fancy stuff will not be used; you've got a pretty involved client if s/he does anything more than adding images and text. The only question from the client's point of view you have to ask youself if it's easy enough to do that. (P.S. don't tell them this)

So that leaves the technical aspect. I have no experience with either, but a cursory glance gives me the impression that they are comparable?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
code:
.container {margin:0 0 10px 10px;}
.sprite {display:block; float:left; margin:10px 10px 0 0;}
edit: wait you mean you want the space to be variable, depending on the width of the sprites? Well, that's impossible without js afaik.

karms fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 3, 2013

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
None. IE6 is the devil's spawn.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

DrSunshine posted:

I'm coding up a website in CSS for a friend, and he wanted to do this sort of design for one of the pages.

(The colored sections aren't going to be in the final product)

Anyway, the areas I've outlined in green boxes are to be the borders. However, I've looked online and I've only seen CSS tutorials for "homogeneous" borders. Like if I wanted the vine scroll to wrap around the entire frame, I could do that. However, I also want the design at the top and bottom to appear.

I'm a bit stumped at how to do this elegantly. Or should we just settle for making the whole frame a single static image?

The only way is to limit the height of the box to multiples of the height of one repetition of the pattern through javascript. It's going to be very fiddly.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

fletcher posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions for adding some bling to my webpage, it was a big hit at the office :) I'd include a screenshot of what I ended up with but it's for a private intranet site...

Got another questions...is there another wysiwyg editor library that isn't abandoned? I've been using https://github.com/xing/wysihtml5 but it doesn't look like anybody works on it anymore.

http://imperavi.com/redactor/ http://jejacks0n.github.io/mercury/ http://www.aloha-editor.org/ http://wymeditor.github.io/wymeditor/

And there's always tinyMCE (already mentioned) & ckeditor.

karms fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 20, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Why is there a button() call in there?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
If the person having to input a lot of accented characters, wouldn't it be easier to just select a different input language in the os? Why do you need to implement this functionality in a browser?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm just going with the simple popup widget that they'll be able to activate/deactivate as they want. I've got it working entirely now, the sole remaining obstacle is styling the loving jquery UI dialog box, which for some reason is just being unnecessarily annoying.

Glad you found a way, because the one time I tried adding in that kind of ui stuff it ended in tears.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

fullroundaction posted:

We're changing our (custom code, no framework PHP) web-based customer service software to let our users upload (and crop) a picture to be associated with their account. I know how to upload and link files, etc, but what's the easiest way to achieve a minimal level of control for the user to manipulate the image and then save it?

e: Not opposed to using a third party service if it comes to that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jquery+php+crop+image&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

:)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Literally Elvis posted:

So I'm working on my first site ever,

I don't know, at the point you are at a book is an amazing resource. If you are really opposed to the idea of capitalism, you might find something to help you on the way in this post in the first page of this thread.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

me your dad posted:

Thanks, but that's not going to work. The INK boilerplate relies on a twelve column structure. There can be many columns but their sum needs to add up to twelve. That's why I had two six-column elements. In other words, if you used two sets of two columns, you'd need eight more columns to make twelve.

Why can't you use two two eight with an empty third column?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

a shameful boehner posted:

Just reposting from last page, since I didn't see anyone comment. Can someone more experienced take a peek at the curricula and let me know if it makes sense for someone just getting familiar with web design & development?

It's pretty good! Has the right attitude about things, doesn't feel preachy, definitely gives you a birds-eye view of what's involved to create web stuff.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

fuf posted:

If someone clicks a link to, eg, an .mp4 file, is there any way to force their browser to download it like any other file rather than trying to stream it?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13513420/headers-used-to-download-file-php

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You can edit any page though developer tools and or/ plugins anyway.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

pokeyman posted:

It never occurred to me to wonder what the opposite of "a responsive design" is. I'm not sure unresponsive fits very well (though obviously I knew what you meant), is there another term that people use?

"Not designed responsively"

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Noah posted:

I have a Google Forms/Sheets problem.

How can I tell the email script to either pull the formatted value, OR grab the intrinsic value and add leading zeros back into it for the email body?

I don't know what you did to 'force' the leading zeroes, but you can add them back in with some js if you know how long they need to be:

JavaScript code:

var ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();
  var sheet = ss.getSheets()[0];
  var cell = sheet.getRange('D:D');
  var pad = "000000"; // add as much zeroes as you need to

if ( e.namedValues[key] && (e.namedValues[key] != "") ) {
        var value = ( pad + e.namedValues[key] ).slice( -pad.length ); // this will add the zeroes back
        message += key + ' :: '+ value + "\n\n"; 
      }

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Noah posted:

The var pad doesn't seem to alter anything on the Google Sheet. The cell.setNumberFormat only seems to do an aesthetic formatting, when I look at the value it is still missing the leading zeros, but visually looks like they are there. http://imgur.com/J5wPpiD like this.

It won't do anything to the stylesheet but it will make the mail work, though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nintendo65 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good php based free storefront that is customizable and trustworthy? I hate magento, I've tried zen cart but its pretty cheesy, and I'm not 100% sure I can trust open cart... I'd appreciate any suggestions before I go crazy and make my own. Only caveat is that it has to support paypal.

Every single one either already has a plugin for paypal gateways or you can buy them from some hobbyist coder for a small fee. Don't know which one is 'the best', though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nintendo65 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good php based free storefront that is customizable and trustworthy? I hate magento, I've tried zen cart but its pretty cheesy, and I'm not 100% sure I can trust open cart... I'd appreciate any suggestions before I go crazy and make my own. Only caveat is that it has to support paypal.

Scaramouche posted:

If you're desperate you can try OSCommerce; note that I'm not recommending it, but I do know that it 'works' based on a client consults in the past. Shopify and Wordpress/Woocommerce are nice if you aren't dealing with millions of products and/or deep categorization.

I talked to the guy that works on developing gateway plugins here, and he said if he had to choose it would be also be woocommerce. Prestashop was also mentioned.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
There are also a ton of tiny web companies that still run on state of the art 90s technology that tried and failed to figure out those dang classes. In a sense it's a bit like working in a COBOL environment but without the job security or paycheck.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Usually I gather up a few sites that I like the look of and steal bits and pieces. It works out ok.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
When js does its thing, does the select get populated with <option> tags?

revmoo posted:

I might be off base on this but don't you have to do name="stuff[]" for a multi-select?

Php would fill the Things variable with the last item selected afaik, you right about that. But there are nothing is getting POSTed, so this problem cannot be a php thing.

karms fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 20, 2015

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
There might be some javascript futzing with the submitting of the form, altering it before posting?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
POST the url of the current page, log in, redirect to the url?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Love Stole the Day posted:

Really comprehensive ebook about Redux just got released and it's doing a free until april 14th special thing: https://leanpub.com/redux-book

Cool! thanks for the heads up.