Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TKIY posted:

As requested, a skunk cleaner shrimp doing cave stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/bvWgjBg.mp4

Thanks! I just have shrimp so I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks! I just have shrimp so I love it.

He is a good skrimpyboiorgurl.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Current full tank shot of my 120g reef

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Enos Cabell posted:

Think you could spare a frag of neon green candy cane? lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lol yeah I think I could. That started off as two heads in my 40g a few years back. Prolific to say the least.

I found an old pic, guess it was 5 years ago now and it started as one sickly looking head. Only coral that survived that tank crash :(

https://flic.kr/p/sdj4KL

Upper left in that pic

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 28, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That’s the prettiest shrimp I’ve ever seen. I got cute little orange and red shrimp and instead of beautifying my aquarium they hide all the time.

I put a sponge filter over the water intake of my Aquarclear HOB because my filter sponge was getting clogged with baby snails and now the shrimp do hang out there picking out little morsels to eat. So I now know they’re alive at least.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Enos Cabell posted:

This is neat. What are the dimensions? It seems like a very tall tank.; is it a fatboy?

Also that's a shitload of coral I'm guessing the tank is pretty mature, yeah?

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 28, 2020

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think I'm going to have to pull all the ceramic hides from my community tank, they are supposed to be for the gudgeons to use but I think one of my sterbai corys got stuck and killed himself in one. I found a dead sterbai not stuck in anything but right near the gudgeons territory, and the only sign of anything wrong with him was red injured looking marks on both sides at his thickest region, the armoured bands seemed to be forced back the wrong way. I had him on a piece of paper towel to give him a good look over and the paper towel became stained pink so those injured zones were apparently bleeding. Not really sure what else could have done it. I'm going to check my hardscape for any other pinch points too.

It's that time of year and the sterbai are laying eggs all over the place again, I'm pretty much ignoring them and letting nature take its course this time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Resting Lich Face posted:

This is neat. What are the dimensions? It seems like a very tall tank.; is it a fatboy?

Also that's a shitload of coral I'm guessing the tank is pretty mature, yeah?

Thanks, that's a standard 120g tank, 48"x24"x24". Tank has been up for almost 3 years I think, so fairly mature but still not at a point where I'm super happy with it. It's kinda funny that you see a shitload of coral, because usually all I see is lots of open spots for more coral to go!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Plumbing should finally be completely done as of tomorrow. Finally gonna get water in the thing!

Got my first plants (some marimo moss balls) chilling in some tupperware already.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 30, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

It's like a third full so far. Waiting on my ro to work

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 30, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Hmmm filters don't want to prime.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hmmm filters don't want to prime.

Do you hear them doing stuff? Maybe suck start the end of the output to get the flow started.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If it's like the FX5/6 they will start to run and then shut off for 2 min to allow for fill so maybe that is going on? That said you've got a lot of interesting plumbing going on there, and canisters don't always work correctly with extraneous poo poo going on. I don't see anything that looks obviously like it's causing a problem, but you never know. Any reason you didn't go with a sump? seems like that would be a lot cleaner/easier

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Nah it's not the startup cycle. I prefilled them and they happily spit the water out of the outputs. I'm not sure what the hell the issue is. Trying again with the tank fully filled. I think the intakes might have been sucking air at some point above the low water line I'd had it at.

E: Fixed.

Tank is full and cycling. Water change system tested and working as intended. Just gotta get some ammonia and give it some time.

Anyway, I'm thinking of running the UV sterilizer (on the return from one of the canisters) quite a bit during the cycle. Maybe start in a week once some bacteria have started to colonize everything. I am predicting a war with algae because the tank gets a good bit of natural light.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 31, 2020

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
The gobies from Aquatic arts arrived. Healthy lil' bubs. I love these little critters. Now I just need some dither fish so they know I won't eat them. And corydoras. Because cories. Are mystery snails or rabbit snails good picks? Or good online fish/invert stores?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mystery snails are big poop machines, rabbit snails have interesting elephant faces. Snails need minerals or their shells will go bad and they won't thrive and maybe won't survive and all kinds of snails can get trapped and hurt/killed by uncovered filter strainers so inlet sponges are a must. Rabbit snails will slowly but continuously reproduce, while mystery snails will lay obvious eggsacs above the water line. So it's up to you if you think snails are a good fit for your tank.

RLF so cool that your tank is finally starting up!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Main viewing angle from inside the living room.

End view from the kitchen.

View from the foyer.

Enjoying it for now before it gets to the uglier parts of the cycle establishing.

Currently my hardness is way too high because I had to fill with tap water all the way to get the filters to prime but I am slowly draining and topping up with RO to bring that down to where I want it.

Glad I went planted because it seems my tap water has nitrates in it :negative:

Anyway, my LFS said not to bother with fertilizing the water itself and just to go with root tabs and that those will just leech into the water column and get the job done. I am unsure as I've read otherwise. Thoughts?

Also what recommendation do you guys have for introducing ammonia. Should I just get ammonia and dose a couple PPM? Or is the "dirty" method of tossing a shrimp (human food kind) in there and letting it rot better?

I've also seen a lot of differing opinions on bacteria starters like API Quick Start or Seachem Stability. Worth grabbing? Or, would it be better to just have my LFS squeeze a sponge filter for me? Both?

It's interesting how you can do a lot of research but ultimately not know how to translate it to practical application.

Gonna look so fuckin' good with some angelfish in it. I'm thinking black angels would look real nice in a peninsula tank though I really like koi angels.

Also thinking some frogbit to use some of the immense vertical space I have... or perhaps some floating rock islands rigged up with fishing line, though that'd definitely be throwing out the natural (if you ignore the plants being from opposite sides of the planet) aesthetic I have going.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 31, 2020

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I'm debating mystery vs rabbit vs nerite snails. I like them all.

Are there any good fish sites? I got my gobies from Aquatic Arts but they don't really have what I want in stock at the time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My mystery snails straight up couldn't right themselves when they fell over/off of hardscape or plants and I was constantly anxious about them possibly stuck upside down.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I hooked up my Eheim to use as a portable vacuum and cleaned out the cyano and GHA. Looking much better.

Here is some bonus of the cleaner shrimp. It’s amazing that the trigger seems to instinctively know not to eat him/her.

And another.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Why are shrimp so cute? Is it just me?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why are shrimp so cute? Is it just me?

It's the same as crows, they look so goddamn confident.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I loved my shrimp. Just how industriously all their little limbs pick over everything is great to watch. Its like an adorable little bit of industrial machinery. :3:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm debating mystery vs rabbit vs nerite snails. I like them all.

Are there any good fish sites? I got my gobies from Aquatic Arts but they don't really have what I want in stock at the time.

Mystery snails are pretty, but those egg clusters get annoying. When they hatch the baby snails leave calcified marks on the glass that I'm having trouble cleaning off. Also once the lady snail starts reproducing she doesn't stop. I separated my mystery snail lovers and she still laid eggs every week. When I finally brought them back together they found each other in a 36 gallon tank within 20 minutes and just went to town. The weird thing is I've never seen an actual baby mystery snail. The puffers must eat them as soon as they adhere to the glass. Nerite screw like bunnies too, but their offspring don't leave marks on the glass.

I vote Malaysian Trumpet snails. You get the benefit of snails, but if they hit pest levels you don't actually have to look at them since they're nocturnal.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

SixPabst posted:

My new six line wrasse has murdered all of my hermit crabs in the span of like 10 days. I had no idea what was killing them until I just watched him flip a shell over and start attacking the last one. At least he leaves the other fish and snails alone but drat man. Demonic.

Six Lines have a reputation as being little jerks, but hopefully yours just has one vice. They are gorgeous and they do a great job on nuisance worms though, so at least they earn their keep.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Nerite screw like bunnies too, but their offspring don't leave marks on the glass.

Nerites lay little white eggs, but they cannot reproduce in freshwater.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

Nerites lay little white eggs, but they cannot reproduce in freshwater.

Well drat. Then I have no idea what the fish store sold me because the label said nerite and they're reproducing like crazy. I just looked up some articles on popular aquarium snails and none look like the brown dime or nickle sized snails in my tank.

EDIT: I'll post a picture when I get home and see if any of you can identify what's in my tank.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 1, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Post a pic I'm sure someone here can ID it.

E: Speaking of snails one of my plants apparently had a hitchhiker. Snaaaaaaaail! :argh:

Prob gonna leave it alone really... was planning on loaches of some variety anyway.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 1, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here’s my mystery snail (but not a mystery snail) that the pet store sold as a nerite.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What's the underside look like?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

That does look like a nerite to me, maybe you have a good mix of males and females and they have been domesticated long enough for the young to survive in your water? I was just reading that nerites are not hermaphroditic like most snails so that might be why you aren't getting unfertilised eggs. If your water is hard enough they might be happy.

Edit yep your post here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554965&perpage=40#post504720346 those look like nerite eggs to me too.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 2, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

So the interloper apparently came from one of my anubias. It's kinda cute and brings me some joy to have something living in my tank already.

Don't breed too much or I'll sic some loaches on you ya fucker!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Same pic as earlier basically but I'm just enamoured with what I've made so far and darkness makes for a better pic anyway.

Interloper not pictured.. or maybe he is... small snail. Not sure where the little guy went. He was near the anubias in the foreground by the rock earlier.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 2, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

That does look like a nerite to me, maybe you have a good mix of males and females and they have been domesticated long enough for the young to survive in your water? I was just reading that nerites are not hermaphroditic like most snails so that might be why you aren't getting unfertilised eggs. If your water is hard enough they might be happy.

Edit yep your post here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554965&perpage=40#post504720346 those look like nerite eggs to me too.

That makes sense. The fish store I go to has had these labeled as nerites as long as I've been going there so it would be weird if they were wrong. Guess I'm just lucky and have a nerite farm. Or more specifically my puffers are lucky.

I had to finally separate the two nerites because I can't keep up with all the baby snails.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Introduced my Fantail to their new tank last night and I'm down at least one minnow, shrimp are harder to count. I can't say for certain my goldfish is the culprit, I'm still waiting on my lid so one of em could have tried jumping out of the tank, though I can't find the body anywhere so I assume it got devoured.

I did keep an eye for the first few hours last night and they seemed to be getting on fine. My shrimp are willing to scavenge pretty close to the Fantail, though they aren't as out in the open in terms of resting on top of my plants. The minnows stick together in the top third or half of the tank depending where the goldfish is. It's a shame because both seemed more active and willing to explore all parts of the tank prior to me adding the goldfish.

I figure my options are either to add additional plants and/or decorations to give my little guys more places to hide or relocate them to my 10g.

Levin fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 2, 2020

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Goldfish can, and will, eat nearly anything that'll fit in their mouths. I think fully grown minnows might be okay, but I wouldn't put anything smaller than a white cloud minnow.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Aerofallosov posted:

Goldfish can, and will, eat nearly anything that'll fit in their mouths. I think fully grown minnows might be okay, but I wouldn't put anything smaller than a white cloud minnow.

This is really true for just about every fish. I saw a neon tetra eat a keyhole cichlid fry that strayed too far from the parents. Not many people can say they have watched a neon eat a cichlid but sadly I can. The parents ended up eating the rest a few days later anyways. So, yeah, fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Certainly had people warn me this was the case but I guess I chose to believe the minnows and shrimp would be big and/or fast enough to evade my Fantail. I accepted the risk so can't really complain, more bummed that the minnows don't feel safe to explore the lower levels of the tank anymore, probably will move em to the 10g. I think the shrimp might fare better since all of the hiding spots in my tank are located in the lower or mid levels and they seem to be able to reflexively jump away if my Fantail gets too close.

I looked at some possible decorations that could help, there is a floating aquarium log that could possibly provide the minnows with additional protection up top but wouldn't solve the issue of them being unable to enjoy the bottom half of the tank.

Here's a short video for those curious: https://imgur.com/a/AiDrcG6