Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

booshi posted:

Yay I can chime in with a few things because all of my experience comes from ponds (my teenage years were spent working in the water gardening department of a nursery).

Looks like a good spot for it against that fence so that it's not getting sun all day. The parrot's feather and water mint are both creepers, and can tend to grow out sideways and out of the pond (just so you know). If your levels are good and maintained in the pond, your hyacinth may start multiplying like crazy. If so, make a "pond friend" by giving another pond owner your extras. If the plants and fish are doing well and the pH is staying around the same place, keep it as is. It's much better to just have a constant pH rather than a constantly fluctuating one.

I love that you put some of the anacharis so that it floats, as most people don't do that in ponds, then miss out on it flowering (little white flowers sprout up all along parts of it, usually those on/above the surface). Where do you live, unless I missed it? Just wondering as if you're in an area where it gets cold enough that will freeze all of those plants and fish probably won't survive the Winter in a small, shallow pond like that.

I live in San Jose CA, so we do get down near freezing on some Jan/Feb nights. I think I should be able to let the pond go safely well into November as our falls are pretty warm. I think I may need to replant my immersed stuff soon - the pots they came in are pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

cheese posted:

Thanks, will do! How much sun would be too much sun for those plants? One of the shoots on the frogbit turned brown and a few of the golden candle leaves on the side that gets morning sun are starting to shrivel a bit.

Direct sunlight for extended periods of time would cause what you are experiencing especially if the plants did not initially come from similar conditions so your choices are move it to where it will get some more shade or see what plants work / won't work. SOrt of like when plants like crypts etc. get transplanted wilt when you move them into a new tank.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Malalol posted:

A mild rant while im on break.

Customer explains she has a 29g heated tank, asks for definition of koi/goldies vs freshwater and tropical.
I explain the coldwater difference and show her the easy livebearers to start with, since she already has a heater in and you cant put too many goldfish in that tank if she went that route. She says ok and starts picking out some platies. Asks how big goldfish get. I tell her. Then she walks over to one and says i want that one. WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU. WHY DO I EVEN EXPLAIN?

Ok back to work!

You should print out that picture of my goldfish next to the ruler and post it in your fish department. That fish is only 3 years old too.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Had him for 3 years? 4-5 inches is already pretty big... but I do tell people those 2.50 2 inch goldies will get that big in a few years.

i did mention your goldfish to that lady :smug:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Malalol posted:

Had him for 3 years? 4-5 inches is already pretty big... but I do tell people those 2.50 2 inch goldies will get that big in a few years.

i did mention your goldfish to that lady :smug:

I found him in a lake in 2010. This fish is actually 9-10", but in that photo he was about 3" away from the glass and was at an angle. He's bigger than my (smallish) hand with fingers outstretched. The other goldfish is slightly smaller, bought in late 2009 and got to 5" in a year and a half. Goldfish live 15+ years if cared for properly.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
so I tried to take some of the advice and rescape things a bit. Made it a bit more symetrical but now i'm forced to wait for some more of it to grow out and up to fill in the spaces I left. I do have a few points I'd like to ask about though; the rotala indica i'm going to hop grows vertical enough in the lesser lighting that it will be ok (used to be front and center in the middle), and should i keep the penny wort on hte left? If so where would be a good place for it. While at the LFS I saw the HC covered log and decided to splurge on it, and pray to the lighting and CO2 gods that my setup will be enough to keep it there and maybe even spreading. So, what should be rearranged for a better look? Thanks guys

http://imgur.com/qtbEqkx

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

That rock in the center seems out of place. I think it would look better off to the left near the tall plants.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

That rock in the center seems out of place. I think it would look better off to the left near the tall plants.

Yep, it's a pretty well-accepted tenet of aquascaping to put something like that off-center. If it does well, it'll carpet out from wherever the rock is, and it can look really, really neat if it's happy enough to do so, even before it manages to cover the entire substrate. Overall, it looks like you're moving in the right direction. The hardest part now is forcing yourself to be patient and let it grow in a little to see if you really like it how it is when it's grown in.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Look at their little potbellies. LOOK AT THEM!

It's an 8 gallon with a betta, about a half dozen shrimp, and the two otos. I'm open to getting more otos if y'all think I should.

whats up potbelly bro

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
So today one of my tanks possibly sprung a leak. I am unsure if it was a capillary action thing on the aquatopia's plastic housing, because I overfilled it, or an actual leak.

I lowered the water a little bit, and use some two part plumbing epoxy near one area. Seems to have stopped.

Here is a shot of my Betta tank.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I come once again seeking advice. I seem to have a bit of a guppy problem. I made the mistake of getting some guppies because hey they look cool. I under estimated their ability to multiply and now have a swarm of them. Any advice on how to remove them other then just netting them? The little bastards like to hide amongst my plants making that fairly difficult. I would just toss my severum in there for a couple days and see if that helped but I know my shrimp wouldn't last.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. I had to euthanize Max a little while ago. I came in to feed the fish this morning and he was sitting there perched on a plant near the surface. His fins were looking more and more ragged by the day, losing all color and you can tell he was struggling to maintain. We fed him one last meal, and then I decided it was for the best. It's a betta, why am I a wreck now. :(

Pardon me if I go afk from the thread for a while.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
So I will be picking up my glass tank on Friday but I also picked up a 2 gallon rimless to keep a Betta in until he can go in the 30. My girlfriend and I found a lovely grey/blue Betta that we have named Gorsh. Pics will come later when we find the box our camera is in.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I went to a garage sale today. For $25 I came home with this:

+ about 80lbs of rock. It's a 55 gallon aquarium with a canopy, and a magnum 350 canister filter. All it's missing is the stand, glass top, and aquarium light. It'll probably be a few weeks until I can pick all that up.

I'm tempted to make a 3D background for it, since it'll be sitting around empty for a few weeks anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es76DnaQDwI

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 30, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Sick fish :(
I had a gold danio that died recently with this sore on its caudal base ..it seemed to get worse but it was still swimmingly actively so I thought nothing of it except to keep water clean until it up and died. Other fish are all fine until I see another danio with one pop eye. And it got worse over the week until it become 2 bad eyes and red spots all over her body and today the fish looks like its skine exploded :(

last week

today

I started furan-2 yesterday, I've been depressed all week about this poor thing and had a nightmare last night that I woke up to half my tank dead. uuugh. It doesnt look good for that fish but maybe I can wipe out whatever bacteria is hanging around..I dont know how else to help it along. Theres some salt in there. I dont want to quarantine it because Im sure its still a speedy thing that Ill have to chase with a net forever and stress it out x100 and hurt its body and eyeballs while I net it out of the water.

Water is showing alright except for 40 nitrates..which I figured was okay since I needed a nitrogen source for all the plants, I will be diong more water changes according to the medication instructions.

I dont have a very colorful tank but the big ol swimming danios are one of my favourites in there

found a mysteryfish last week that I picked up too since it looked like some sort of danio/rasbora.

my molluskythings arent too happy either (spot the baby bristlenose!) and Im wondering what I should dose to help it out. water is super super super soft. on the tetra test strips, it read <75gh, 0 kh, and pH looks under 6.2. I threw in cuttlebone before and I will add more baking soda, but Im not sure what else would be a good source of calcium/minerals for shelly dudes.

Finally some potential pairings

These 2 I put outside in a bin and theres a bubblenest but not sure about eggs

hes possibly going with a female that should be shipped today!

Malalol fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 30, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god that danio. Hope it pulls through, but realistically that looks pretty drat bad. Quarantining it?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

I went to a garage sale today. For $25 I came home with this:

You probably already know this, but you should take that tank outside (or in a garage or something) and fill it up and let it sit for at least a few days. Garage sale tanks are pretty notorious for leaks. A friend of mine learned this the very hard way.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.

Kharnifex posted:

Hello,

What kind of PH did you have for the B.macrostoma, and substrates/decorations etc. What kind of filtration and temperature ranges were you experiencing? What kind of heater did you have?

Ok so I was going to reply to this but then my keyboard died, it's currently in pieces and I've got a USB one now. Heh.

Temp was about 78, though the week before he died it somehow climbed up to 82. Not sure if it was from the spazzy weather (It's 90! It's raining! It's 90...) messing with ambient temperature or if the heater malfunctioned. We usually use Marina or Fluval heaters. It was an adjustable. We got the temp down when we noticed he was a bit lethargic....and he seemed to perk up, but he wasn't eating much.

Water here is soft. The exact water params I don't have but the last time I'd checked them all the ranges were normal - no screaming red nitrite or green ammonia. The tank had also just been cleaned that same week and I went over it good with a gravel vac. He was the only fish in there so couldn't have been that much poop...

I had given him some bloodworms that night and later he had a round belly, we thought maybe he'd finally eaten his fill, but the next morning his belly was hard and he had an ouchie on his bottom lip. Given the situation we had last month with our eel I decided to praz the tank. The ouchie got worse - it was a white circular spot like scale scrape at first, but then it filled in red in the center and got larger. He also had some suspicious redness elsewhere on his body. I did some googling and it looked like signs pointing to bacterial infection so I added erythromycin. A few hours later he was gone and he had even more spots on him, white, slightly raised, and the ulcer on his lip was a full on hole. He was gone by then, but I looked at him for a long time and looked at disease pics for even longer and I think it was Columnaris. The last thing I'd seen him eat was freeze dried bloodworms. I threw away that package just in case.

In happier news, we've got three b.channoides fry left which are big and happy, and a new female adult to keep daddy company.

AND an air conditioner.

The Oncoming Storm fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 1, 2013

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
All of my bacopa melted. :bang: For a while, the melt looked like it was only on the bottommost segments. A few days ago, the whole crop went to poo poo and I threw it all out. Ugh, how annoying. Wisteria still looks like crap so I've decided to float what remaining nubs I have and see if that's helping.

Oh the upside, my red ludwigia looks great and I think my corkscrew vals are doing well! I had some melting happen with the Marsilea quadrifolia after I replanted it but that's more or less stopped and I'm seeing some new growth.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Recently MY GIRLFRIEND and I decided to try feeding our Red Eared Slider live food for once. He's about 3 years old and plenty big so we purchased a dollars worth of Rosy Red Minnows at the local pet store. Our turtle loves them after years of pellet and freeze dried shrimp.

Problem is I think I've taken a liking to the remaining two rosy reds and want to keep them around. Currently they're in a tiny 0.5 gallon carry-case tank, while our turtle is in a 5.5 gallon tank, soon to be replaced with a 15 gallon due to arrive any day now. My hope is to move the rosy reds into the turtles old 5.5 tank, add filter/gravel/light/decor, and keep the little guys alive while introducing healthy quarantined friends as time goes on. They seem like the perfect low-maintenance fish and a convenient food source for our turtle should any of them kick the bucket. Does anyone have any tips for this approach, or advice to improve the odds of these 10 cent guys survival?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Ema Nymton posted:

Hi there, I'm a cat person but I'm looking to buy an aquarium filter to build a water fountain for my cats.

My cat fountain aquarium works so far. I tried a Tetra 1-3 gallon filter first but it needs a container too tall for a cat fountain. So I got a Tetra 10i with 11 filters on eBay for $25. It works in shallow water reptile tanks and uses Bio Bags and/or medium filters with carbon chips. I'm glad they changed the name-- the first thing I think of when I hear "Bio Bag" is :barf:

I think this was a good plan compared to buying a filtered cat fountain. A cat fountain with no replacement filters costs the same or more. I put it in a clean cat pan, and it doesn't have a cap so I put some foil on top. The cat who demands I turn the on faucet for him seems to enjoy drinking right from the water flow. (sorry about the crummy cell phone pics)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

eggyolk posted:

Recently MY GIRLFRIEND and I decided to try feeding our Red Eared Slider live food for once. He's about 3 years old and plenty big so we purchased a dollars worth of Rosy Red Minnows at the local pet store. Our turtle loves them after years of pellet and freeze dried shrimp.

Problem is I think I've taken a liking to the remaining two rosy reds and want to keep them around. Currently they're in a tiny 0.5 gallon carry-case tank, while our turtle is in a 5.5 gallon tank, soon to be replaced with a 15 gallon due to arrive any day now. My hope is to move the rosy reds into the turtles old 5.5 tank, add filter/gravel/light/decor, and keep the little guys alive while introducing healthy quarantined friends as time goes on. They seem like the perfect low-maintenance fish and a convenient food source for our turtle should any of them kick the bucket. Does anyone have any tips for this approach, or advice to improve the odds of these 10 cent guys survival?

I got ten of them for my 20g crawfish tank. After spending six months with the buzz saws of death and 6 are still alive and pretty drat big. I'll never know if they died from disease or got caught because non moving edible stuff disappears in an hour.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Goldmund posted:

You probably already know this, but you should take that tank outside (or in a garage or something) and fill it up and let it sit for at least a few days. Garage sale tanks are pretty notorious for leaks. A friend of mine learned this the very hard way.

If it didn't come with the canopy and the filter, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm definitely going to test it for leaks, but I'm pretty hopeful because it looks to be in excellent condition. The person was moving so that's why it was so cheap. Also I think they did saltwater wrong, because it came with a bunch of plastic plants and rocks, but no protein skimmer or any evidence of live rock.

In the meanwhile, I went to the LFS and came home with this:

It's an African algae eating goby. Anyone have any experience with these guys? There's not much out there on the web.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

eggyolk posted:

At 3 years old, your RES should be approximately 4-6 inches large, does that sound about right to you? While it's great you're getting him out of the 5 gallon tank, please don't put him in a 15 gallon. An aquatic turtle needs about 10 gallons per inch of straight carapace length. So, s/he should be in a 40-60 gallon tank right now, and by the end of his/her life, depending on gender, could need anywhere from a 90-120 gallon tank.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok here's a picture of my new free tank with stand, hood and built in wet dry filter. Anyone good with conversion numbers? It's four feet long, fifteen inches wide and eighteen inches tall. How many gallons is that?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

56 Gallons. Is it me, or are those weird dimensions for a 56? Not to take anything away from it though, looks great.

Do you have a plan for it yet?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Zaffy posted:

56 Gallons. Is it me, or are those weird dimensions for a 56? Not to take anything away from it though, looks great.

Do you have a plan for it yet?

It's certainly some sort of long tank. I plan on going full planted with amazon river plants, drift wood and to move my mated angels into it when completed. Cory and some sort of schooling tetra too big to he stuck in my angels mouth too.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

eggyolk posted:

Oh, dude, I hope you maybe mis-typed something. You've had a turtle in a 5gal for three years?? That's ... really awful. The 15gal is "better" but really it's no where near good enough. Slugworth is totally right about any aquatic turtle needing as much space as possible.

I had a 9" African helmeted turtle for many years. I rescued him from bad conditions where he was living in absolute filth in a 20gal with a regular aquarium filter meant for a 10 gallon. We moved across the country and he got a 40 gallon breeder tank that was still honestly a little too small for him. I used a pond filter to turn over the tank like 200 times an hour and it still got fouled pretty quickly (turtles are gross). Please upgrade your tank!!

Re: rosy reds. I kept my turtle tank stocked with minnows for that guy. He mostly loved them. Sometimes he'd rampage around and bite them all in half just for kicks I guess, and other times he wouldn't touch them for weeks. That was really cool because when they're big and strong and healthy from swimming in the high-flow water all the time they are actually really neat fish. Mostly he'd just snack on them, though.

I wouldn't necessarily feed your turtle dead minnows, if your pets should die. They likely would have died of some disease and it's not a great idea to feed sick food to any animal...

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

The Oncoming Storm posted:

Ok so I was going to reply to this but then my keyboard died, it's currently in pieces and I've got a USB one now. Heh.

Temp was about 78, though the week before he died it somehow climbed up to 82. Not sure if it was from the spazzy weather (It's 90! It's raining! It's 90...) messing with ambient temperature or if the heater malfunctioned. We usually use Marina or Fluval heaters. It was an adjustable. We got the temp down when we noticed he was a bit lethargic....and he seemed to perk up, but he wasn't eating much.

Water here is soft. The exact water params I don't have but the last time I'd checked them all the ranges were normal - no screaming red nitrite or green ammonia. The tank had also just been cleaned that same week and I went over it good with a gravel vac. He was the only fish in there so couldn't have been that much poop...

I had given him some bloodworms that night and later he had a round belly, we thought maybe he'd finally eaten his fill, but the next morning his belly was hard and he had an ouchie on his bottom lip. Given the situation we had last month with our eel I decided to praz the tank. The ouchie got worse - it was a white circular spot like scale scrape at first, but then it filled in red in the center and got larger. He also had some suspicious redness elsewhere on his body. I did some googling and it looked like signs pointing to bacterial infection so I added erythromycin. A few hours later he was gone and he had even more spots on him, white, slightly raised, and the ulcer on his lip was a full on hole. He was gone by then, but I looked at him for a long time and looked at disease pics for even longer and I think it was Columnaris. The last thing I'd seen him eat was freeze dried bloodworms. I threw away that package just in case.

In happier news, we've got three b.channoides fry left which are big and happy, and a new female adult to keep daddy company.

AND an air conditioner.

If I was going to breed betta macrostoma I'd start with maybe a 2 foot tank, basic led lighting and some hardy anubias.

Substrate wise, Up Aqua soil substrate, and underneath that some ADA powersand. Driftwood etc. You need to maintain Ph between 4 and 6!

I'd have a fry tank next to it, using the same water as the main tank. (maybe you would need a sump to achieve this.)

If you do get fry, put them in a fry trap in the main tank for eventual move to the fry tank.

Filter wise, I would use a small Hob with a shrimp guard on the intake.

Heater wise, Use something like a shogun or Eheim Jager thermostatic heaters. You want something with a real thermostat. If you are still worried, you could use a chiller. Maintain 20-25 degree C.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
It looks like you have my exact aquarium Ling. That's a Seaclear System II, 55G (a bit less because of the air space in the filter). Based on its age, and experiences I've had with mine here are a few things to watch out for. The intake hose from the pump to the front of the tank may tear off, requiring you to constantly reseal it with poor silicone because the tank is still mostly full of water, fish and plants. Or your wet dry system may become clogged leading to not enough water getting through the filter flow on the back top left, causing pressure to build up in the tank and break through the silicone holding the top of the plastic to the overflow and trickling through that way. In either of these cases,

http://www.amazon.com/One-Shot-Black-Pond-Sealant/dp/B004INC2ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372732652&sr=8-1&keywords=gold+label+aquarium+sealer

will be your best friend. On several occasions your fish will wind up in the filter. Have a good net handy for those frustrating moments. Also you won't be able to have very deep sand or gravel beds because of how near the floor of the tank the return holes are situated. Those moments aside, this is a great tank that I also got from a garage sale and love. Good luck!

E: In fact you have the same stand I do, though mine came with some awesome power strip alterations. If you're still looking for lighting and want to go down the T5HO route, I just upgraded to an LED system and have my two old ballasts and bulbs. PM me for more info if you're interested.

Mocking Bird fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 2, 2013

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.

Kharnifex posted:

If I was going to breed betta macrostoma I'd start with maybe a 2 foot tank, basic led lighting and some hardy anubias.

Substrate wise, Up Aqua soil substrate, and underneath that some ADA powersand. Driftwood etc. You need to maintain Ph between 4 and 6!

I'd have a fry tank next to it, using the same water as the main tank. (maybe you would need a sump to achieve this.)

If you do get fry, put them in a fry trap in the main tank for eventual move to the fry tank.

Filter wise, I would use a small Hob with a shrimp guard on the intake.

Heater wise, Use something like a shogun or Eheim Jager thermostatic heaters. You want something with a real thermostat. If you are still worried, you could use a chiller. Maintain 20-25 degree C.

They had a soil substrate with some gravel on top. The tank they had was a 20 gallon with basic lights and a variety of plants including anubias, crypts and clover. We are going to be trying this again in future with a 40 gallon breeder, I will probably put in a divider if fry happen. Eheims are AWESOME (we have a canister for our 33 long) but spendy...likewise I bet the heater won't be cheap. The 40 is getting a custom stand built and it'll be upstairs where the AC is, thank goodness. The downstairs tank was supposed to be temporary but things happened.

Dang. I'm really getting into this fish breeding stuff. The b.channoides fry (Yancy, Philip J and Philip J) had their first taste of big fishie food today - live blackworms! It was hilarious to watch a little fish chomp down a worm almost as long as he was.

Thanks for the advice. Our second attempt should go better, I hope...I loving love wild bettas...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Trilineatus posted:

It looks like you have my exact aquarium Ling. That's a Seaclear System II, 55G (a bit less because of the air space in the filter). Based on its age, and experiences I've had with mine here are a few things to watch out for. The intake hose from the pump to the front of the tank may tear off, requiring you to constantly reseal it with poor silicone because the tank is still mostly full of water, fish and plants. Or your wet dry system may become clogged leading to not enough water getting through the filter flow on the back top left, causing pressure to build up in the tank and break through the silicone holding the top of the plastic to the overflow and trickling through that way. In either of these cases,

http://www.amazon.com/One-Shot-Black-Pond-Sealant/dp/B004INC2ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372732652&sr=8-1&keywords=gold+label+aquarium+sealer

will be your best friend. On several occasions your fish will wind up in the filter. Have a good net handy for those frustrating moments. Also you won't be able to have very deep sand or gravel beds because of how near the floor of the tank the return holes are situated. Those moments aside, this is a great tank that I also got from a garage sale and love. Good luck!

E: In fact you have the same stand I do, though mine came with some awesome power strip alterations. If you're still looking for lighting and want to go down the T5HO route, I just upgraded to an LED system and have my two old ballasts and bulbs. PM me for more info if you're interested.

Boy I got a lot to learn about wet dry systems. You mentioned something about return holes being near the bottom but I can't find any holes and when I filled it up the back area didn't fill up until it went over the top.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some have returns on the bottom, others have a pump that just pushes water back out over the top.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
So taking another look at the way your filter looks, it seems like you have a partition in the middle that doesn't extend to the sides (whereas mine does). Thus, it seems likely that your filter is slightly different than mine. I like mine because its a great spot to put the thermometer, pH meter, Heater, UV light filter, and CO2 diffuser (plus the actual filter material, its amazing). What do you plan on using for your filter materials?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Trilineatus posted:

So taking another look at the way your filter looks, it seems like you have a partition in the middle that doesn't extend to the sides (whereas mine does). Thus, it seems likely that your filter is slightly different than mine. I like mine because its a great spot to put the thermometer, pH meter, Heater, UV light filter, and CO2 diffuser (plus the actual filter material, its amazing). What do you plan on using for your filter materials?

Man I have no idea. This is my first tank I've ever owned over 20 gallons and I have only ever had hang off the back penguin filters. I'm willing to go go slow to make sure I get this right and I got a decent track record of keeping my fishy friends alive. First thing first. I've established there is no leaks. Now to clean up the bag o' filter stuff to see if I can recycle any of it or start with all new stuff. The hood is in fairly poor shape due to moisture damage. Going to have to replace some of the wood.
Since my current tank is well established I can really take my time on this project.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Omg! I got eggs! Somebody layers eggs last night on a sword leaf plant! While it could have been a Cory there are a ton of them and they usually lay them on the glass all random! It must be my angels! Whee!!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Well my new Betta shredded his tail sometime in the last 24 hours, so I'm taking out all the fluorite, I think that is probably what did it. So now he will have a glass bottomed tank unless I find some cheap substrate I like.

Time to buy medication. :sigh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nice eggs Lingcod! They'd appreciate a dab of egg-safe antifungals.

Chichevache: Is flourite really that sharp? What else do you have in your tank?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SynthOrange posted:

Nice eggs Lingcod! They'd appreciate a dab of egg-safe antifungals.

Chichevache: Is flourite really that sharp? What else do you have in your tank?

He has a large, for the tank, fake plant and a decent sized chunk of Ohko stone. It is possible it is a bacterial problem, but if so it went from looking good to tears in his tail fin in less than 24 hours. He also has a Jebo mini filter on the tank. I don't think my red flourite is that sharp, but for soft fins like his I could see it possibly being the issue. He wedges himself under the plant occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My money is on the plastic plants being your culprit, honestly.