Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Great to hear

I must be thinking about older or smaller models, but I remember it being a big complaint with some people when I last looked at them a while ago

Maybe the complaint was simply that the sump was glass, period. A lot of people understandably prefer acrylic, but also a lot of people prefer DIY’ing their sumps out of Petco tanks that definitely have thin glass so—

I could understand people disliking thin glass for sure. Fortunately for me, this one is solid as a rock. The acrylic ones I think are usually a product of people making their own sumps or having custom ones made. I've had both and wouldn't go back to acrylic honestly. The next tank will have a remote sump that's at least the same volume as the display though and that might have to be, like I mentioned, a custom jobby.

Now, the peninsula style display on the other hand... I love the aesthetic but I wouldn't ever do it again. Flow in particular is very challenging. Rimless though, yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

A sump is one bridge I haven't crossed yet. My reef is only 20g and when I bought my 75g tank I was returning to the saltwater hobby after a pretty long absence so I set it up with roughly late 1990s knowledge. It would be cool to have all equipment out of sight but for some reason the idea of having a smaller container under a much bigger container really freaks me out. I'm sure there's a million things you can do to keep your display from draining into your sump/living room, but I just haven't made the leap yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

A sump is one bridge I haven't crossed yet. My reef is only 20g and when I bought my 75g tank I was returning to the saltwater hobby after a pretty long absence so I set it up with roughly late 1990s knowledge. It would be cool to have all equipment out of sight but for some reason the idea of having a smaller container under a much bigger container really freaks me out. I'm sure there's a million things you can do to keep your display from draining into your sump/living room, but I just haven't made the leap yet.

I feel like improved knowhow for things like HoB filters and the development of increasingly better all-in-one options, including stuff like newer filters and inserts/conversion kits, makes it way easier to go sumpless for years and years, and to put increasingly sensitive and pricey livestock in such tanks, even small ones

but also there’s ultimately ‘no replacement for displacement’ and there’s a serious benefit to adding 50-100% more water volume to your system

If I could start my reef over again....which, spoiler, I basically am at this point....I would definitely not limit my total volume to ten gallons.

The room is way too dry, and even with diligent top-offs the water chemistry and tonicity fluctuate enough to keep a lot of the corals in a constant stress state. 20 gallons seems way more manageable, and what I’ll try to go with, but the idea of 50+ gallons just seems like such smooth sailing by comparison

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 7, 2021

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I feel like improved knowhow for things like HoB filters and the development of increasingly better all-in-one options, including stuff like newer filters and inserts/conversion kits, makes it way easier to go sumpless for years and years, and to put increasingly sensitive and pricey livestock in such tanks, even small ones

but also there’s ultimately ‘no replacement for displacement’ and there’s a serious benefit to adding 50-100% more water volume to your system

If I could start my reef over again....which, spoiler, I basically am at this point....I would definitely not limit my total volume to ten gallons.

The room is way too dry, and even with diligent top-offs the water chemistry and tonicity fluctuate enough to keep a lot of the corals in a constant stress state. 20 gallons seems way more manageable, and what I’ll try to go with, but the idea of 50+ gallons just seems like such smooth sailing by comparison

This was my first reef (it's been up since 2019). Contrary to the bigger is better advice that goes around a lot I'm very glad I went with a 20g long. It's small enough that I can replenish calcium and other elements with just a weekly 5g water change and not worry about dosing anything. 20g is shallow so light penetration is a non-issue and smaller lights are a lot cheaper than bigger ones. The shape of the tank also provides a lot of real estate per volume. I don't run a skimmer and everything has been doing well other than zoas/plays which I apparently just can't avoid killing.

E: Regarding top offs, the ATO I got might have been my single best purchase. It's a toss-up between that and the CurrentUSA light which I love.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 7, 2021

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
https://youtu.be/J1dd8iujqng
Soooooo many babies
https://youtube.com/shorts/LgoNL6jLr-w?feature=share

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Me and my wife had an opportunity and purchased a 90 gallon saltwater tank off a lady whose father could no longer manage it due to age... it has everything but fish and I am personally a little terrified by the sump system myself, but she has it set up filled and cycling currently and no leaks so I guess it will be fine? whole month at a minimum for it to cycle and let the rocks settle? She's the one who wanted a saltwater tank, I only have experience with freshwater and I set up new ones of those by transferring some of the water/substrate/plants from the previous tank or another of my established tanks.

It looks nice at least, at the moment, she wants to do corals though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

It looks nice at least, at the moment, she wants to do corals though.

good

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I don’t think I’ve posted a full tank shot lately. The colors are a little off, I got a aquarium picture app I’m still playing with.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I tried asking for help with the Severum on Monsterfishkeepers but they seem to think I'm lying about my nitrate levels or too dumb to perform the test and read it. :shrug:

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
My wife is never into my fish tanks and didn't care about all my pretty little fish and plants. Then we walk into a store with a bunch of fish that my wife has never seen and she falls in love with one fish. I get everything I need for this one fish all brand new (75g, stand, heater, air pump and large sponge, bio mediathe whole nine yards) and we go back. Today, we finally brought home our new family member and named him. My daughter wanted banana, I wanted Ganesh. My wife named it Banana Ganesh. So guys and gals, meet Banana Ganesh the two tone king kamfa.

https://youtu.be/7EmZZ5yzTn4

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

I tried asking for help with the Severum on Monsterfishkeepers but they seem to think I'm lying about my nitrate levels or too dumb to perform the test and read it. :shrug:

What do you need help with? I run Salifert NO3 and a Hannah ULR PO4 checker. Would be happy to clear up any husbandry issues for you!

I'd suggest you peruse https://www.reef2reef.com too. Best single source of reefing knowledge around.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

pepperchomp posted:

My wife is never into my fish tanks and didn't care about all my pretty little fish and plants. Then we walk into a store with a bunch of fish that my wife has never seen and she falls in love with one fish. I get everything I need for this one fish all brand new (75g, stand, heater, air pump and large sponge, bio mediathe whole nine yards) and we go back. Today, we finally brought home our new family member and named him. My daughter wanted banana, I wanted Ganesh. My wife named it Banana Ganesh. So guys and gals, meet Banana Ganesh the two tone king kamfa.

https://youtu.be/7EmZZ5yzTn4

I'm really struggling to choose between a flowerhorn and a congo puffer for my next tank. I'm consolidating my smaller tanks to end up with something in the 55-75 range and really like the idea of a big "wet pet" fish. My gourami are pretty friendly these days, but the behaviors I've seen from puffers and flowerhorns make them super appealing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

What do you need help with? I run Salifert NO3 and a Hannah ULR PO4 checker. Would be happy to clear up any husbandry issues for you!

I'd suggest you peruse https://www.reef2reef.com too. Best single source of reefing knowledge around.

Severum cichlid won't eat. I mean I kind of get it, I'm sure 99% of the problems they see are people with 8 oscars and a arrowana in a 55g tank, but they flat out didn't believe my nitrate numbers despite explaining I did 150% of volume in water changes over the last two weeks following the instructions on the meds I tried.

But yeah, Reef2reef is great for saltwater stuff, one of the few forums outside of SA I bother with. Unfortunately this is a freshwater issue. Planet Catfish seemed tolerable, but I never got super involved with it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Severum cichlid won't eat. I mean I kind of get it, I'm sure 99% of the problems they see are people with 8 oscars and a arrowana in a 55g tank, but they flat out didn't believe my nitrate numbers despite explaining I did 150% of volume in water changes over the last two weeks following the instructions on the meds I tried.

But yeah, Reef2reef is great for saltwater stuff, one of the few forums outside of SA I bother with. Unfortunately this is a freshwater issue. Planet Catfish seemed tolerable, but I never got super involved with it.

Let's rewind: give me the history of this picky fish. Tank size, diet, tankmates, etc. When did he stop eating?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Let's rewind: give me the history of this picky fish. Tank size, diet, tankmates, etc. When did he stop eating?

December 2014, I'm looking for a tankmate for my Oscar. My LFS gets an adult (~6") severum dropped off with most of it's dorsal fin missing and most of it's scales. The person that dropped it off had it in a tank with a Red Devil. The owner gave it to me free since they didn't think it would make it. When kept with the Oscar, the Severum heals up and thrives. Never hiding, trying to bite my finger through the glass at feeding time, super outgoing. The Oscar died (I know it was dumb to try to keep an Oscar in a 55g) and no combination of tankmates or ditherfish has ever gotten the Severum to do much besides hide in the corner 90% of the time.

Current tankmates: 4 black skirt tetra, 2 angelfish.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed one angelfish had a cloudy eye and also some very small HITH pits on the serverum and stringy white poops. Did a 50% water change and then 2 rounds of Furan 2 (for angelfish mostly) and 2 rounds of General Cure (Metro + Prazi). I don't think he's eaten since this treatment started. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate Trace to 5ppm. Still seeing stringy white poops but at this point, I'm thinking it's just because he hasn't eaten in 2 weeks.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 10, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Temp of the tank and water parameters? Did he eat after the oscar died, and when was this? Diet now?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Temp of the tank and water parameters? Did he eat after the oscar died, and when was this? Diet now?

poo poo, sorry that was really bad story-telling on my part. The Oscar died years ago. He has always eaten, up until 2 weeks ago. He only eats Tetra Cichlid Sticks, which I suspect maybe why he has HITH. He won't eat sinking pellets. Every now and then he'd eat frozen krill, but sometimes didn't care about it. He also won't eat duckweed, peas, or lettuce.

Temp is 77, pH is 7.8. I haven't tested hardness lately, but tap water here is moderately hard.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Got a Free 125 gallon... needs parts though, but free tank.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

poo poo, sorry that was really bad story-telling on my part. The Oscar died years ago. He has always eaten, up until 2 weeks ago. He only eats Tetra Cichlid Sticks, which I suspect maybe why he has HITH. He won't eat sinking pellets. Every now and then he'd eat frozen krill, but sometimes didn't care about it. He also won't eat duckweed, peas, or lettuce.

Temp is 77, pH is 7.8. I haven't tested hardness lately, but tap water here is moderately hard.

Nitrates?

Yeah I'm never worried about the pH unless you have blackwater fish or something finicky like some killis.

Have you ever tried Repashy or live shrimp, gut loaded of course?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Dear Goon aquarium threads,
I used to post here a lot then I stopped..
Here are my current tanks pls don't judge me too harshly.

29g:

Equipment:
Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim 6664 Prefilter
AquaClear Powerhead 30
Airstone

Plants:
front right - Bucephalandra sp."Blue???" - -I can't remember
back right - Hygrophila polysperma var. Sunset - Illegal to sell or cross state lines with
Left - Red Undulated Crypt (Cryptocoryne undulatus "Red") - this is only supposed to grow 12" but it is 18"+???
Middle - SO so much Anubias nana on rocks and wood etd.
Top - Duckweed

Snails:
1 25..-3" Black Devil Spike Snail (Faunus ater)
5?ish random 3/4" Nerites (Ishimaki, Tiger Eye, ???)
1 2" Pagoda Snail (Brotia pagodula)
Lots of Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculatavar. "Big").
1 3/4" Mini Yellow Rabbit Snail (Tylomelania zemis)

Aquatic Artts carries my line of MTS that i've been refining slowly for like 17 years. They get nice and big. My dark line is not ready yet, maybe in a few years.
https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-snails/products/malaysian-trumpet-snail

Shrimp:
2-3 Neocaridina davidi culls all female I think, need to go back to the shrimp tank. 2 black/blue one low quality Red Rili

Fishies:
10 2-3.5" Scissortail Rasbora (Rasbora trilineata)
6 2-3.5" Panda Garra (Garra flavatra)
6 2-3".5 Spotted Garra ((Garra spilota))
1 2.5" L201 Snowball Pleco (Hypancistrus sp.)
1 3.5" L333 King Tiger Pleco (Hypancistrus sp.)
1 7" Royal Farlowella (Sturisoma panamense)
1 4" F Pearl Gourami (Trichopodus leerii)
7 assorted Xiphophorus helleri hybrids. weird fins, koi, 2 home bred, eic.
2 (i think m/f) 3/4" Redbreast Dwarf Acara Cichlid (Laetacara dorsigera)

10g

Equipment:
Sponge Filter

Plants:
Back left- Red Undulated Crypt (Cryptocoryne undulatus "Red"
Middle? - Anubias nana
Marimo Balls/Mats/Growths (Aegagropila linnaei)
Subwassertang
Java Moss
Duckweed

Snails:
3 2.5-3" Chopstick Snail (Stenomelania torulosa)
1 1.5" Pagoda Snail (Brotia pagodula)
Lots of Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata var. "Dark")"
??? Mini Yellow Rabbit Snail (Tylomelania zemis) (breeding group)

Shrimp:
??? Neocaridina davidi (Blue/Black/Red/etc.???)
2 2+" Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata)

Fishies:
5 Celestial Pearl Danio AKA Galaxy Rasbora (Celestichthys margaritatus)
5 Sparkling Dwarf Gourami (Trichopsis pumila)

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 10, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Holy poo poo I did version one of this 13 years ago, 2.0 was 9, might be time to do 3.0, who's up for it? I'm not.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nitrates?

Yeah I'm never worried about the pH unless you have blackwater fish or something finicky like some killis.

Vibra-bites are good, too. They look like bloodworms for picky eaters. The insect food I forget, but there is also frozen if you want live-ish food, but not.

And yeah, that bug stuff is amazing. vvvv everyone swooshes to the food.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 10, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have 3 diff kids of these and zero animals that don't love them:
https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/bug-bites/

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nitrates?

Nitrates is trace to 5ppm. The people on MFK just could not accept that even though I said I had done a 50% and four 25% water changes in the last 2 weeks. :shrug:

Negative on the Repashy or live shrimp. I might try an earthworm later. I've never heard of Repashy but just googled it and it looks amazing.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 10, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I will also second BugBites: it's pellets that my axolotls went straight onto without fuss after being fed live food forever. gently caress, my cat will chase me around when she sees the bag for them.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cool, I know PetCo carries Bug Bites, so I can go try to pick some up after work maybe. I tried to feed an earthworm this morning and only succeeded in scaring him. He didn't react to it sinking by his face, so I reached in to retrieve it and he flipped out and sprinted to the other end of the tank back to his usual hiding spot. I dropped it near him again and don't think he ate it, but he's hiding behind the plants so I really couldn't tell.

I'm starting to think this just a 6+ year old cichlid that had a tough life in the beginning and is just naturally reaching the end of the line. I don't know how old he was when I got him and he was already full grown. I found a thread about someone's 12 year old severum and to be honest it looked just like my situation and ended with the cichlid being euthanized. :smith:

E: This was the thread I found: https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=244197

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 10, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m sorry dude.

Is 12 particularly old for a cichillid?

Fish aging and senescence are all over the place. If a betta makes it to 5 years they’re a Methuselah of the species, but meanwhile you’ve got carp-types (a couple weeks ago we had a goon talking up their parents’ “ancient” 15 year old koi) and sharks aging past 90 years and going off into the hazy beyond, to the point where humans aren’t quite so sure how old they can get

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I see 7-10 years thrown around a lot for severums. Oscars can live 10-15 years.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

I will also second BugBites: it's pellets that my axolotls went straight onto without fuss after being fed live food forever. gently caress, my cat will chase me around when she sees the bag for them.

one of my mothers kittens will open the cabinet doors on the aquarium to snag fish flakes to eat.

I just hear the doors thudding and gotta go swat the cat away from the fishes food.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

My cat goes crazy for Tetra shrimp wafers.

E: I just found an old post I made on PlanetCatfish which confirms I bought my 2 clown plecos in May 2011, so they are coming up on 10 years old!

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 10, 2021

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Schwack posted:

I'm really struggling to choose between a flowerhorn and a congo puffer for my next tank. I'm consolidating my smaller tanks to end up with something in the 55-75 range and really like the idea of a big "wet pet" fish. My gourami are pretty friendly these days, but the behaviors I've seen from puffers and flowerhorns make them super appealing.

My flowerhorns a little shy right now but when there's food he really opens up and hangs out. I've seen people play with their flowerhorns. Hopefully I can groom him right and he'll be a little playful, colorful friend.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

pepperchomp posted:

My flowerhorns a little shy right now but when there's food he really opens up and hangs out. I've seen people play with their flowerhorns. Hopefully I can groom him right and he'll be a little playful, colorful friend.

:kimchi: That sounds adorable. Flower horns are pretty cute. My Rams have learned to make me follow them and it's great. They do little wiggle dances.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Before I try this on MFK I will do it here. I have a used no-media Eheim 2211? that still works great and a used Eheim Jager 100 watt heater and a 30g rated sponge filter new and a couple of used 10g rated air pumps and lots of random suction cups and some filter floss and some rocks and some bad fake plants and gently caress knows what else. I don't drive, I don't wanna package it all up.

Valparaiso, Indiana 46385.

Chicagoland/NWI fish weirds you will be glad you took the drive and helped me reduce my fish clutter. Please help.

If you fish for wild fish I have an excellent pond for that too, I've been feeding it for years.

Free fish equipment but you have to take it all and my pond is very good fishing.

I can also hook you up with some good plants & snails.

Let me know! Pls help me reduce this clutter.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
https://youtu.be/mPPeiQTPkuk

Still shy but opening up

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I discovered yesterday that water lillies and water hyacinth (don't worry, we get winter) are priced very differently. I guess it's the effective difference between buy a tree and buying some mint.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Ganesh is a lovely flowerhorn.

Meanwhile, I have to repair the light timer I have, and the Rams seem to be hiding in back, when they used to be out and about.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Aerofallosov posted:

Ganesh is a lovely flowerhorn.

Meanwhile, I have to repair the light timer I have, and the Rams seem to be hiding in back, when they used to be out and about.

Thank you he really is a pretty boy haha.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://i.imgur.com/ALZUEmL.mp4

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Hello everyone,

I’m hoping you can help me with an issue i am having. I have been cycling an empty aquarium for over a month and having the water tested weekly to check the levels of nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and the Ph level.

Everything except the nitrites have been fine for the last three weeks and today the nitrites finally came out at a safe level. However now I have an unexplained spike in the ammonia! Their is no livestock in the tank and I was adding beneficial bacteria as instructed each week. I have not added the bacteria over the last two weeks in an attempt to lower the previously high nitrites.

A quick google suggests my bacteria may have died off, but I’d be grateful for any advice you could give.

My aquarium is small, only 20L (5.28 gallons)
The filter has a bio filter and a physical waste pad in it and cycles 350L an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

What are they eating? I love when my blue velvets pile on top of food and are just a mass of movement.