Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Hey everyone! I was hoping to get some feedback and ideas for potentially getting a dwarf puffer. I had fish as a kid, but nothing too complex. I've had many pets over the years, and am pretty dedicated to taking care of them and learning all of the specifics. After browsing some of the shops, I've fallen in love with dwarf puffers :doh:. They are the god damned cutest little guys, and I'm really considering getting one.

I'd like to get a pretty nice tank for one, possibly two, puffs. Nothing too big, but adequate. Does anyone have suggestions or experience keeping puffers? I've read up on their diet and am cool with getting bloodworms and snails to feed them, but that's pretty new territory for me. I've never planted a tank before or even made a nice looking one, but I'm really excited to give things a go...sink or swim!

The place I'm looking at in Tokyo to get the fish is a pretty respected aquarium shop, but I want to do things right.
http://www.a-forest.co.jp/ (in Japanese)

I'm also going back to the states to visit soon so I could pick up supplies there. I'm nervous, but excited! :ohdear: Let me know what you guys think if you have time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Cowslips Warren posted:

For most fish, two is a bad number; three or four, even five, means that any aggression issues are spread out. Of course that depends on the size of your tank too! But a well planted 10 gallon can have probably 5-6 pea puffers.

Ahh, I had no idea about this! Very good to know.
I think having either 1 or 3 would be the way to go with a 5gal or 10gal tank. Would having only one be okay for a pea puffer?

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Cowslips Warren posted:

One would be fine but would be a bit dull! In a planted 10 you could easily do 6 or so, depending on the rest of your stock (my pea puffers, however, tore the poo poo out of any fish they could grab a hold of, at least fin-wise) and in a planted 5, a trio would be good.

I haven't had any fish for some time now, so it would probably just be the puffs. I could watch those little guys all day :3:
A trio sounds much more manageable if a well planted 5gal accomodate them

Thank you for your reply!

edit: http://youtu.be/6o1fw9jtRNc?t=1m33s
vvv what gets me more is that the tankmates put up with abuse from the tiny little things.

Queen Gnome fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 18, 2013

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
I checked out the aquarium shop in Tokyo I found, and it's siiiiick. They really know their poo poo, so I'm excited to get started with my puffs after my trip next month. I should go back and take some photos of the planted tanks they have for you guys because they are stunning. I was lucky enough to watch one of their professional designers doing a public planting demonstration when I went! Oh, and totoro themed tanks.

I'm really on the fence about one thing though - should I stick to artificial plants, or try my hand at maintaining some real ones? :ohdear:

The real ones are so pretty (especially the moss). I read the information in the OP and on several of the forums linked, but wasn't able to find much about mixing real plants with artificial ones. I'm mostly worried about getting plants that would require me to introduce other fish to the tank other than snails and maybe some small shrimp, but to be honest, shrimp creep me out. I've heard that puffers will likely go after other fish in the tank, as well. Any thoughts?

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Cowslips Warren posted:

Puffers love snails. They do. It's their favorite food! And shrimp overall for the same reason, but if you end up with larger amanos, or even prawns, your puffers might become the snacks.

Why not do fake plants and some easy live moss or anubias? Or just do a really kickass false marine tank, where you have little coral setups and fake seaweed plants? I've always wanted to do a false marine tank.

I really like the idea of some moss and seaweed mixed with a false display! And I can get some kick rear end false stuff in Japan from what I've seen. Maybe I'll go with a 5 or 10 gal tank with 3 puffs and some easy plants plus false ones. Will the puffers keep the snails under control well enough? I can't wait until payday to get started!

Queen Gnome fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 22, 2013