Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Are outdoor ponds on-topic for this thread?

I moved into my new house a month ago, and there is a fish pond in the back garden. The fish were left behind by the previous owners, who assured me that they are very low maintenance. I don't really know anything at all about taking care of them; I just go and throw some food in every so often (I am aware that their metabolism is dependent on temperature and that it is bad to have uneaten food floating around in there).

I'm worried that one of them might have some sort of infection because there is a patch of white fluff visible on its side. I will try to get a picture later. It's not obviously in any sort of distress; its behaviour is the same as its companions from what I've observed. I'm also not sure if there is too much plant material in the pond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Thank you for your detailed and informative post.

I live in the UK (specifically, south Yorkshire). It's been mild the past couple of weeks, anywhere from 8 to 15 Celsius during the day I would say. They would eat a very little food if i threw it in even when it was a bit colder a few weeks ago.

There is a pump, which I understand is significant in some way to the water quality. The pump is switched on 24 hours a day. It is working correctly as far as I am able to tell, but I am not very well-informed. The water is clear and does not smell. I don't add new water or take special steps to drain the water, though of course it must drain to somewhere when it rains. The previous owners didn't mention ever adding water or treating the water in any way. I would treat the water if it were called for and I could identify what treatment was required.

I will look into pond testing kits.

Here is a photo showing the whole pond. You can see most of the fish. The largest fish (grey, about twice as long as the second largest - I don't know what variety of fish any of them are) was lurking at the back and isn't visible.

Here are a couple of photos in which you can see the fish I am worried about :

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I had been assuming that if there wasn't any food left floating in the pond after a while, it meant that I wasn't overfeeding. As you both advise it's probably too cold for them to eat much, I will cut back on the amount of food I throw in.

Stoca Zola posted:

That looks like a nice big pond, not overcrowded at all, and the waterfall where the water is pumped back in should have a nice aerating effect. Being completely set in the ground like that will help a bit against the chill but depending on how deep it is it might still be too cold. Does sound like it is still too cold to feed them yet. It does look like you've got some algae in there too unless the dark green blankety stuff is some other fine leafed pond plant. In my understanding it's harder to get rid of algae in colder climates as the usual remedies like barley straw or other microbial controls need enough warmth to be able to function so you might be stuck with manually pulling it out if it gets too overgrown.

I'd be interested in whether there is any filtration associated with that waterfall or if it's purely for circulation. Where does the water go in to the pump? Either you have the pump in the pond and it pushes the water into the pond features, or you have the pump outside the pond and it sucks the water out. The latter configuration makes it easier to have a canister filter outside the pond. If the pump is in the pond it can get clogged easily and probably needs more maintenance than the other way around, but the other way of doing it you still need to make sure the inlet is clear and not dangerous for the fish and every few months it's probably still necessary to de-gunk the impeller.

As for the white patch, it looks quite nasty and is bigger than I was expecting. I think you're right to worry about it. The thing with fungal infections in fish is they're often secondary to something else, either an injury or a lesion maybe from a tumour. In that fish, the circular shape of that patch made me think it might be due to an underlying tumour rather than rampant disease. Those guys look like regular goldfish to me, your big grey one that is off camera might be a koi or something else. Everything else looks pretty okay so I think at this stage it is likely just to be a problem with that one fish.

Well, if it's a tumour then at least it's not something that will affect the other fish.

There is pump stuff to the side of the pond, I should have mentioned it. You can see it here:

If you wanted to see the bigger one, it was more active today so here you go:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

CrazyLittle posted:

Yup the filter is part of that pump assembly. You should be able to open the larger compartment and see the filter media. It's a good idea to rinse out the sponge periodically. Also that hard black tube inline with the pump hoses is probably a UV clarifier, and the bulbs on those need to be replaced every year or two. They're used to control algae growth.

BTW those fish are most likely koi. How big would you estimate their size to be?

I would put the big one at about 35-40cm long and the others are all about 12-15cm.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Hi, I know this is a thread about tanks/aquariums but there doesn't seem to be a thread about ponds unless I missed it.

I have a small fish pond in the garden (was there when I bought the house and I decided to keep it) and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to give tadpoles a better chance at survival. Every year frogspawn gets laid in the pond, and most years as far as I know my fish eat all the tadpoles the first chance they get! There's frogspawn in there now that afaik was laid a week or so ago and whenever I go out to throw some food in at the moment, my biggest fish is hovering near it looking at it with obvious interest.

Last year I tried scooping some of the frogspawn into a bucket. I filled the bucket with water from the pond and placed it on a shelf that runs around the edge of the pond, with the idea being that this would allow it to keep to the temperature of the pond water (I don't know how effective this was at keeping the temperature the same, since the bucket water was near the surface). I cycled water between the bucket and the pond water every so often by scooping it out and in.

The process of transferring frogspawn to the bucket probably destroyed some of it, but I got quite a few tadpoles swimming about in the bucket at the start of the summer. but the number dwindled over time. I have no idea whether that's because the tadpoles were leaving the bucket (the water level was at the lip of the bucket), or because they were eating each other. I have no idea how many of the tadpoles survived, if any.

Other years I have found tadpoles in the filter system (probably passed through the pump when they were quite small) and fished them out and returned them to the pond. But I suspect that just led to them being eaten by the fish.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Enos Cabell posted:

This gets my vote, depending on the size of your pond you can get a pre-made breeding box enclosure like this

Or build your own out of pvc tubing

I had thought of the mesh fence idea before but couldn't figure out how I would put up a fence and keep it tight to the edges of the pond without damaging the lining. The idea of a complete mesh box hadn't occurred to me. I'm not very good with my hands so a pre-made one like that might be just what I need.

I think the idea of a nursery tank for tadpoles is a bit beyond what I would be willing to commit to.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I got off my rear end and put a tadpole nursery in at the edge of my pond as suggested. Pics below.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Schwack posted:

That's awesome! My dad and I hatched tadpoles in a bucket with an airstone when I was a kid. They're so much fun to watch develop. Maybe I missed it, but any idea what kind of frog they'll become?

I know very little. Actually I am sadly pretty ignorant of the biology of just about everything in the pond.

I saw one frog on a couple of occasions this year. On one occasion it was at the bottom of the pond. On the other it was on the shelf around the edge of the pond and it dived to the bottom when I approached. I couldn't tell you what species of frog it was because I don't know frogs.

I don't believe there are any frogs that permanently make my pond their home, because I never see any other than around springtime. So the frogspawn is from a species that roams to lay eggs.

I would guess it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_frog just because I don't know any better

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Bad news re: the tadpole nursery. Went out today and it was sitting on its side in the middle of the pond. I thought it was well enough weighted down, but I guess it was more susceptible to wind than I thought. Or maybe something disturbed it? I don't know what would though. I'll have to try again next year.

I did notice a couple of days ago that most of the eggs had disappeared and there were a lot of dead tadpoles littering the bottom of it. What do you think happened, were they killing each other? There shouldn't have been any water quality issue, because the water could circulate freely between the nursery and the rest of the pond.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is it possible the nursery heated up at a rate faster than the circulation kept it cool? Kind of like a solar cover on a pool? Or maybe they normally go deeper to get out of the sun?

This is possible. It was in a shallow area (there is a kind of shallow shelf that runs along part of the perimeter of the pond). And it would have been in the sun pretty much all day. Next year I'll position it at a different part of the shelf, to minimise the amount of time it spends in the sun. And weight it down better, or tether it somehow. Actually there's a couple of little basket things with plants in them, it could probably be tethered to those with cable ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Axqu posted:

If they were freshly-hatched: Are you positive they were dead, and not just stuck to the bottom of the basket/ sitting on the bottom absorbing yolk? Some species spend a bit of time after they hatch just sitting around (or stuck to something) reabsorbing their yolk.

If they'd already gone to their free-swimming phase, or were a species that free-swims straight from the egg: Were you feeding the tadpoles? If so, with what and how often? Most North American (non-desert) frog species are algae/plant grazers or filter feeders as tads, and need to eat constantly to fuel their massive growth. Even if you made sure to feed them once a day they could've starved to death between meals; lots of very young ones do, and this is why frog breeding/ raising tads is such a monumental pain in the rear end if you don't already have an auto-feeder and/or a super algae-covered setup. If the species you had were grazers, they probably starved to death once the yolk was used up. This can happen in as little as 2 hours from the last feeding depending on species.

Do they prefer suspended algae or blanketweed? or does it depend on species? It's trivial for me to fish blanketweed out of the pond and give it to them - I'm always having to remove it.