Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Hi there, I'm a cat person but I'm looking to buy an aquarium filter to build a water fountain for my cats. A few weeks ago I gave them a broken decorative fountain I found at goodwill and they like it. But the intake to the mini water pump collected cat hair and dirt, and after I rubbed it off, the pump died. I may have pushed some of the debris in deeper.

On the inside, most pet fountains are aquarium water pumps and filters. The cheaper cat fountains only contain a water pump, no filter, but the more expensive ones do. I figure that compatible filters will be cheaper and easier to find if it's a standard aquarium filter.

I'd like to get a Tetra 2-10 gallon power filter from Walmart. Or would it be good enough to get a cheap mini water pump and wrap it in a coffee filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Ema Nymton posted:

Hi there, I'm a cat person but I'm looking to buy an aquarium filter to build a water fountain for my cats.

My cat fountain aquarium works so far. I tried a Tetra 1-3 gallon filter first but it needs a container too tall for a cat fountain. So I got a Tetra 10i with 11 filters on eBay for $25. It works in shallow water reptile tanks and uses Bio Bags and/or medium filters with carbon chips. I'm glad they changed the name-- the first thing I think of when I hear "Bio Bag" is :barf:

I think this was a good plan compared to buying a filtered cat fountain. A cat fountain with no replacement filters costs the same or more. I put it in a clean cat pan, and it doesn't have a cap so I put some foil on top. The cat who demands I turn the on faucet for him seems to enjoy drinking right from the water flow. (sorry about the crummy cell phone pics)

Only registered members can see post attachments!