Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamontoast
Jun 29, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Thinking about getting an otto temporarily to help with hair algae. It's not likely to have issues with betta or shrimp, right? I have an aquarium store I like that will basically give me a rental.

If the issue is exclusively hair algae, I wouldn't bother with an otto at all. They eat soft surface algae, and won't touch the hair algae. A Siamese algae eater should do the job, though.

Failing livestock based solutions, spot treatment with Excel, or very carefully dosed hydrogen peroxide should also get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamontoast
Jun 29, 2008
So I have a powerhead in my Tanganyika tank that I only turn on periodically to move stuff that gets stuck around the rockwork where you can't really get to it with a siphon tube. If it gets left on all the time, I find there's too much current in the tank and all of the fish just hide in the rockwork all day.

Walking past the tank on my way to get breakfast today, I was surprised to notice my juvenile Julidochromis regani in a somewhat unexpected hiding spot.

Thank goodness I decided against putting it on a timer.

jamontoast
Jun 29, 2008
So with all this talk of worms, I thought I might upload a [very old, and low quality] video of something I found when I was migrating my old shrimp tank. It popped up out of the substrate when I was netting out the last of the babies and shocked me more than a little.

If it helps, it appeared to have tightly packed spines running up and down each side of its body. Anyone have any idea what this guy is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuYg9EFlP0Y

jamontoast
Jun 29, 2008
When you say 'green slime algae', is it algae or cyanobacteria? If it's the latter, there's not really anything that will eat it.