Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Hurray a new thread! So I just thought I would share some of my amateur cellphone pictures. I currently have 4 fish tanks (but I only have pictures of two because two are boring)

First up is my low low tech 29gallon community tank (my first ever planted tank):

Here it is from September 2011

And here is a fancy gif google made for me from trying to take pictures of it more recently:

Fauna in this tank(nothing fancy): 5 albino neons, 7, albino cories, 1 male betta, ?? platies, ?? cherry shrimp, 6 amano shrimp, 3 assassin snails

Next is my 4 gallon shrimp tank:

I just set this one up a few months ago but it doing awesome even if I don't have any baby yellow shrimps yet:

and here is one of the shrimp showing off how awesome he is

Fauna: ?? yellow shrimp, 1 assassin snail

My other two tanks are one mid/high tech 40 breeder that is just now cycling and the other is a biocube 29 with a lone male convict in it because I am weird and really like him but he pretty much hides in his cave all day and only comes out to bite me when I clean the tank or when I have food. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

I finally got plants and stuff in for my 40 breeder, now I just need to figure out what kind of fish I want...

I really love this tank, the size is amazing, having all of the depth in the tank makes it look awesome. Any suggestions on livestock? I think I want to do single large school maybe celebes rainbows,furcata rainbow, or something that isn't a small tetra like cardinals or neons. And then just a large colony of cherry shrimp (100 or so), a few otos, and some amano shrimp.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I really, really like this layout. You sure you don't want tetras? Most other schooling fish are gonna go after shrimp. Maybe Loreto tetras or something else that's rare and not just a cardinal?

Thanks! I'm not set against tetras as a whole, and those Loretos are pretty neat. I was also looking at celebese, forktail, and gertrude rainbows, but I've never kept small rainbows before any opinions on them? I just want something small, uncommon, and neat to look at really.

I do have a question about ordering shrimp online. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for large quantities of shrimp? I'm looking at either blue pearls or tigers, but I want like 50-100 and most of the prices are like 2 or 3 bucks a shrimp which is just out of my price range right now. I found one guy with really great prices on aquabid, but he ships from Hong Kong which makes me pretty nervous, if anyone has any experience with that I'd love to know.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

So, I think I need some help with my CO2 setup. I am pretty sure it murdered all (except 1) of my forktails last week while I was away at a conference. But I have 4 baby angles 5 or 6 otos and 12 amano shrimp that are all fine even after the rainbow apocalypse. I feel like my bubble counter and drop chekcer might be to blame but I'm not sure what else to do? My drop checker is always a light tealish color (see picture) which according to the chart that it came with is low on CO2 but my bubble counter seems to be reading well above the advised 3 bubble per second count. I tested the water when I got back and everything showed up fine, but the last rainbow was surface swimming, which corrected itself after adding an airstone.

This is my first CO2 setup and I'm just not sure on how to tweak the set up for max plant growth. My ground cover is glasso and just now at the 4ish month mark I am starting to see some new growth, most of the other plants are doing okay but not as awesome as I would expect with as much light and CO2 as is going into the tank.

I think I just need help on how to tweak my dosing and CO2 without murdering more fish? Help!

Here is a terrible cell phone picture