Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Recently bought a Fluval Spec V, a betta and some plants.

Here's the setup after a week and a half. Little Cheerio loves it so far. I think he builds a bubble nest daily.
Pet store employee may have screwed me over recommending this plant. I think it's a non-aquatic purple waffle plant. Cleaned it from the tank, and rinsed the roots before rehousing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
The hydor 25watt heater keeps the tank at a constant 78.8 throughout. But that's no matter what temperature I manually set it for. Is it true all heaters perform poorly?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

GoodBee posted:

This is the setup, and fish, I've been eyeing. What else did you pick up aside from what's in the kit?

Check out http://spec-tanks.com/ for lots of really good articles on modifying and maintaining the spec v. It has been an invaluable resource to me for understanding stuff. Much of what I've bought are recommendations from it.

Hydor 25 Watt Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater
Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge
Wire mesh
Set of 6 Marimo Moss Balls
Variety of plants
Aquascaping tools
Pump cleaner
Freshwater testing kit
Scraper

I have 4 ghost shrimp, 2 amano shrimp, and 2 gold mystery snails all tasked with tank cleanup. Calcium supplements and seaweed are tossed in regularly to ensure their proper growths.

I'd suggest modifying the stock lid of the fluval spec tank. I built a small window screen topper for the open area to dissuade the beta and shrimp from jumping out again. A complete cover would protect against evaporation.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Modifying the existing Fluval Spec V lid is simply done. I have little ability and did it without access to actual tools. Or creating a regular screen lid. I'd def. suggest an alternative to the stock, as i had two amano escape prior to repairs.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Thank you to everyone who posts. Going through a bit of trouble with dropsy in a betta, and an unresponsive snail. Sad days but y'alls posts and pics brighten it.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Facebook Aunt posted:

The only problem I've had with planting is that it is very light compared to a rock gravel. So until the roots grow out newly planted things are easy to dislodge -- a strong current can catch the leaves and send thing thing floating around the tank. Sometimes plants come with weighs and those work great. For the ones without weights I've had luck using Crazy Glue to glue a bit of stem or root to pebbles. The Crazy Glue sets in under a minute so the plant doesn't dry out, and it's safe. Eventually the plant will shed the cells glued to the pebble, but by then the roots have taken hold and it's fine.

I cut a small length of airline tubing open and pulled it flat, then made a slit in the the middle through which i've 'pulled' plants through. easy to then shift substrate onto the platform to hold stuff under.

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, let me know.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Trying to get real information about aquarium stuff online is really tough. Do y'all have any resources you regularly check?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
They're eating one another ;-;

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I use the same cheap electronic timers. one of each and haven't had an issue yet.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I haven't had a problem using cheap polycarbonate sheets from home depot for tank lids. I'm in New Mexico, so running lidless isn't an option with how dry and dusty it is here. It was quite easy to cut, and you can probably get one of the employees to show you, and let you mess up some pieces in store.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Does anyone have a recommendation on a hundred gallon tank which doesn't break the bank? I'd prefer long and low. Rather than bowed out, or high.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Hell yeah.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
She's living her life. Can she not live?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Enos Cabell posted:

I've always filled straight from the tap and add Prime to the tank as it fills. Been doing that for decades now with no ill-effect.

Agreed. While i pre-treat the water, its only because I have smaller tanks which don't require large water changes.

The vast majority of people I see on YouTube or irl do not. It isn't seemingly an issue despite the loads of forum posts and poorly written guides online.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
From my experience shrimp don't especially add any bioload.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Bought a 40 gallon and stand today. Excited.

Here's the current running setup. It's a mess with badly laid out cords, and cleaning supplies not put away lol.

The 20 gallon has two breeding colonies of eight panda cory, and eight mosaic cory, four mystery snails, nine endler's livebearers, six amano shrimp, a few ghost shrimp, three otocinclus, a female betta named Lacey, and a female featherfin squeaker catfish named Richard. This is all kept alive through a random filter from amazon on the inside, and an eheim 2213 canister on the outside.

The smaller tank has a betta boy named Marzipan, and about sixty to a hundred shrimp, and two more mystery snails. Aquaclear 20 hob with sponge attachment to keep the shrimp fry from living it up in the filter.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I began with the fluval spec 5 gallon. While it was beautiful, in a way, I found the entire system to be prone to breakdown at such small volumes. That isn't to say many people don't have fantastic nano tanks. Strangely enough with the fish keeping, a tiny tank was much more involvement than a larger tank. 10 gallon should really be the minimum for anyone new to the hobby.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Do y'all have any thoughts on inline external heaters?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Biff Rockgroin posted:

My biggest concern is getting a super sturdy stand. Every time I find one that looks good, there are a bunch of 1 star reviews saying it's super wobbly or that it collapsed, etc. Any recommendations?

I think you have to consider the number sold versus the number of reviews. There's always going to be instances where a product didn't work out for someone.

I used https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aquatic-fundamentals-1020-gallon-aquarium-stand-with-shelf with no issues, but it is ugly. At 20 gallons, you have a lot more options for stands. Just check that whatever you get can support ~250lbs of weight.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I'm planning for a Betta and 4-5 Corys. I'm assuming 20 gallons is more than enough for that, but I'm worried that with just one "regular" fish, there won't be enough food falling down for the catfish to eat. Any reccomendations for relaxed fish that'll get along with a betta? Should I even add anymore fish?

From what I understand Corys need to be fed on their own. You can't rely on them receiving enough food from feeding a betta, or foraging algae. Algae wafers are easy drop ins.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Any resources y'all have for buying larger rocks, or kits, for your aquarium?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Have you lifted up any of those decorations? Grats on your nice looking shrimp tank with plenty of hiding spaces!

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
If you have control for your light spectrum, maybe reduce the specific ones algae are mainly feeding on.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I would assume those are ghost/glass shrimp rather than amano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have been noticing my betta constantly misses his food that floats on the top, he constantly tries to attack in front of it to get it. Even with the filter off to ensure there is minimal movement. Would turning the light off help or is it just a light refraction thing making him see it in a different spot from where it actually is? I can't exactly put my head into the tank to check.

I've mostly found our dumb ornamental angry fish to just be really bad at feeding. hadn't stopped most of mine for living to maximum lifespans. just check they get something at some point.