Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm planning a little planted 5g tank and I'm a bit unsure how to stock it. For some background, it's been a while since I've had any kind of aquarium, and I've never had anything set up for breeding.

I know I want either cherry shrimp or crystal red shrimp. I also want a few fish.

I'm leaning towards some endlers to keep things small, but I've also heard of people housing Betta with shrimp.

My main question is whether the idea of keeping breeding populations of the endlers and shrimp is workable. I'm ok with some fry being eaten, but I don't want either wiping the other out, or populations exploding out of control.

Open to hearing some other suggestions and ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

Since you're in the planning stage right now, was there any reason you wanted such a small tank to start with?
Space, budget and aesthetics, also had the tank gifted to me.

Lots of good info, thanks guys. I'm definitely into the idea of having something breeding in there. Does cherry shrimp with male only endless sound like a good idea? The endlers helping to keep the cherry population in check.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

Welp. My betta failed the 'live peacefully with ghost shrimp' test. He looks so chubby and content and wiggles joyously when I come by now.
I think mine is in the same boat. Put 2 shrimp in there and day one was good. The Betta was attracted to the movement, but just kinda sniffed at them and left them alone. Day 2 I don't see the shrimp any more.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Interesting. Its almost like politics are a thing that impact our lives daily in ways we aren't always aware of.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I keep a salt and a fresh tank, I'd happily post about the SW tank here if that's kosher.
I see what you did there. :discourse:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Can anyone recommend an outlet timer? I've bought a few now and none of them work reliably.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Haven't tried wemo, but 2 of the 4 timers I have tried have been smart plugs. They lost connection constantly and were expensive paper weights.
I have a programmable electronic one right now that works ok, but it doesn't have a manual on/off override.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Enjoy a picture of my 5 gallon.

I have a beta that has been peacefully coexisting with 9 cherry shrimp. The plants have been growing in nicely but I had to trim the moss back after a nasty algae infestation. Really hoping the shrimp will breed soon, any idea on why they might not be?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah what kind of tank temps are you getting? My shrimp would go into a breeding frenzy whenever I changed tank water and poured in cooler water.
My tank was 76, but I have since slowly raised it up to 80. The shrimp are definitely more active, but no signs of mating. I've also seen some signs of molting in there, so things seem to be going well for the little buggers.
The beta is super chill. Sometimes he will "sniff" the shrimp but he has eaten any.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I haven't seen a singled berried shrimp, but I discovered these two little guys today. So I guess everyone is getting busy in secret.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I've got a little pond to clean up and stock.
It's about 6'x10' and 1' deep.
Outdoor Temperatures range from 55-100 degrees f.

We also have some feral cats that use the pond for drinking.

I think koi are out, too small a pond and too high a risk of predation.

I was looking at some red shiners, and a pleco.

I'd like to stock with some edible plants, taro, lotus, and watercress.

I also plan to add a few more rocks and create some hides for the fish.

Looking for a nice grass that would grow emergent to break up the waters edge line.

I'm prepared to lose the fish I stock, but also want to take precautions to limit predation.

Any holes in this or suggestions? Other fish ideas? I'm new to outdoor ponds, any major differences from aquariums?

Edit:
Actually, red shiners might be out.
Invasive species are a concern should they escape.
The pond also gets used for native frog breeding and we'd like to keep that.
Any other good fish suggestions?

eSporks fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 6, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

freak weather events
Funny you mention that. It's southern Texas, and the pond had some small fish that were killed by a freak weather event! No idea what type though.

The more I think about it, the more native species sound like a good idea. I think it had a turtle at one point, but I'm not sure how that got a long with the tadpoles.

Iris are an excellent idea! I'm much more interested in the plants than the fish, but some schooling fish would be an attractive touch.

I think I will start with iris, lotus, taro, and watercress while I do more research on fish and turtles. Or maybe just leave it animal free and see what it attracts, it's a wildlife rich area.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

More details

There was a population of small 1-2cm minnows of unknown species.

It was never stocked with turtles, but would on occasion attract wild ones.

The turtles, minnows, and frogs all coexisted in beautiful harmony and lived happily ever and before the big freeze.

I might just use a bait trap to catch some local minnows and go that route.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sticky Date posted:

If you put fish in there you will probably not not get any frogs...I like frogs
I think if I pick the fish carefully enough it will be alright.
As mentioned minnows and tadpoles have coexisted in there previously. It looks like fancy guppies could be a cheap option for something a little flashier, internet is saying they won't eat tadpoles. I think a pleco should be safe too, only concern then is resource competition. Still considering a no fish route though.

I started cleaning out the muck yesterday, and to my surprise the minnow population survived the freeze somehow. I saw some adults, and some tiny fry.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sucrose posted:

There's probably nothing wrong with the pond itself, or if there is I'd never be able to guess it.
Good news. You don't have to guess! Buy a water test kit. Pond/Aquarium keeping is literal science, minimal guessing involved.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

So, the bubbler is also going to aerate and oxygenate the water. A vitally important thing to both Fish health, and bacterial health. Without a healthy bacteria ecosystem, the pond is going to fill with decaying matter and toxic nitrates are going to build up. This can also impact vegetation that serves to filter out some of the nitrates.

Test your water. There is absolutely no reason not to.

Ponds in nature easily turn into rancid cesspools without a source of fresh water and oxygen. Just because its big doesn't really make this different. Its pretty hard to offer any kind of advice without knowing what the water conditions are, something killed the koi, and a $10-20 test kit would probably give you an answer.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why are you putting this in an aquarium, and how do you plan to keep it from floating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Awesome write up, and interesting filter set up. The pond I inherited just has a large bag of red lava rock as the bacteria substrate. I do wonder, if that is big enough for a koi. When I looked into it, it was recommended they have 3' depth and at least 8' of length.