Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.
So a while back I posted that my B.Channoides had started knocking fins and produced some fry. Well, now the female's passed, the male is hovering around the penned-off blue jelly shrimp with hungry eyes, and the three remaining fry are in a tupperware tank with a sponge filter and a heater.

They eat cyclopeez and baby brine when I can actually get the drat things to hatch. Saturday I tried them on regular brine and they were hilarious, darting around with massive shrimp half dangling from their mouths.

I don't know how fast they're supposed to grow, or how big they're supposed to be before they can go into the community tank. The biggest one is about a centimeter long.

Edit: ^^^ Fat Mike is adorable. Grumpy Bettas :3

The Oncoming Storm fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

booshi posted:

I hope his red starts to show more. I love the white band around the outside of his fins. His pectoral fins are getting really big too!

He's pretty! And that "white band" is probably new fin growth, since they look more substantial in that second pic. It might stay white or it might change.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

GODDAMNIT.

The last of the B. Macrostoma died today. He got sick very quickly, and I didn't know what to do. We noticed his water was a little too warm the other night, and he was lethargic, so we turned the thermostat down. Next day we did a 30% water change with a thorough vacuuming. He still seemed off. Not eating much. I attempted to feed him some bloodworms but he ignored them. Later, my gf noted that his belly looked fat and presumed he'd eaten the worms. I looked again and he seemed too fat for what I'd fed him, as well as a bit spacey. There was a tiny red spot on his bottom lip. I thought, maybe he got scraped and that's why he's not eating. I looked again this morning, the spot had turned white and he was fluttering to the surface to breathe, it seemed to be a massive effort. He was still hard swollen but not pinecony, and his tail fin seemed ragged all of a sudden. I did some looking around on WWM and thought maybe it was a bacterial thing. In went the erithromycin. I just went downstairs to check on him and he was gone, upside down on the bottom, his lip lesion had become an actual ulcer with missing tissue, and there were little white circles on his body here and there.

What was it? Do I have to nuke this tank? I'm so sad and frustrated, we were gong to set up a 40L breeder and everything, but they just kept dying on us.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

Hello,

What kind of PH did you have for the B.macrostoma, and substrates/decorations etc. What kind of filtration and temperature ranges were you experiencing? What kind of heater did you have?

Ok so I was going to reply to this but then my keyboard died, it's currently in pieces and I've got a USB one now. Heh.

Temp was about 78, though the week before he died it somehow climbed up to 82. Not sure if it was from the spazzy weather (It's 90! It's raining! It's 90...) messing with ambient temperature or if the heater malfunctioned. We usually use Marina or Fluval heaters. It was an adjustable. We got the temp down when we noticed he was a bit lethargic....and he seemed to perk up, but he wasn't eating much.

Water here is soft. The exact water params I don't have but the last time I'd checked them all the ranges were normal - no screaming red nitrite or green ammonia. The tank had also just been cleaned that same week and I went over it good with a gravel vac. He was the only fish in there so couldn't have been that much poop...

I had given him some bloodworms that night and later he had a round belly, we thought maybe he'd finally eaten his fill, but the next morning his belly was hard and he had an ouchie on his bottom lip. Given the situation we had last month with our eel I decided to praz the tank. The ouchie got worse - it was a white circular spot like scale scrape at first, but then it filled in red in the center and got larger. He also had some suspicious redness elsewhere on his body. I did some googling and it looked like signs pointing to bacterial infection so I added erythromycin. A few hours later he was gone and he had even more spots on him, white, slightly raised, and the ulcer on his lip was a full on hole. He was gone by then, but I looked at him for a long time and looked at disease pics for even longer and I think it was Columnaris. The last thing I'd seen him eat was freeze dried bloodworms. I threw away that package just in case.

In happier news, we've got three b.channoides fry left which are big and happy, and a new female adult to keep daddy company.

AND an air conditioner.

The Oncoming Storm fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 1, 2013

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

If I was going to breed betta macrostoma I'd start with maybe a 2 foot tank, basic led lighting and some hardy anubias.

Substrate wise, Up Aqua soil substrate, and underneath that some ADA powersand. Driftwood etc. You need to maintain Ph between 4 and 6!

I'd have a fry tank next to it, using the same water as the main tank. (maybe you would need a sump to achieve this.)

If you do get fry, put them in a fry trap in the main tank for eventual move to the fry tank.

Filter wise, I would use a small Hob with a shrimp guard on the intake.

Heater wise, Use something like a shogun or Eheim Jager thermostatic heaters. You want something with a real thermostat. If you are still worried, you could use a chiller. Maintain 20-25 degree C.

They had a soil substrate with some gravel on top. The tank they had was a 20 gallon with basic lights and a variety of plants including anubias, crypts and clover. We are going to be trying this again in future with a 40 gallon breeder, I will probably put in a divider if fry happen. Eheims are AWESOME (we have a canister for our 33 long) but spendy...likewise I bet the heater won't be cheap. The 40 is getting a custom stand built and it'll be upstairs where the AC is, thank goodness. The downstairs tank was supposed to be temporary but things happened.

Dang. I'm really getting into this fish breeding stuff. The b.channoides fry (Yancy, Philip J and Philip J) had their first taste of big fishie food today - live blackworms! It was hilarious to watch a little fish chomp down a worm almost as long as he was.

Thanks for the advice. Our second attempt should go better, I hope...I loving love wild bettas...